Photo
- - - - -

Do you agree with Bernie's idea of a good F1 ambassador?

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#1 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 19:28

I am reffering to his words over the weekend when he said that Lewis promotes F1 in more ways than every driver did.He also said Vettel was a terrible ambassasador.

I am a bit on the fence on this one to be honest.On one hand I do like how Lewis has taken his brand and in extension,the F1 brand to hollywood and no doubt many people know F1 more due to this.I think he did more to promote F1 after winning his championship than Seb ever did in the four years.

Then again,one of the reasons I am a big fan of Vettel is how he keeps his private life private and he has absolutley no interest in popularity.This indicates that he is a man who is sure of himself and has a target to win and win plently.I am not saying Lewis or any other driver is different,but to me some of them seem as interested to boost their likability as much as they want to win.
Do I make sense?Am sorry English is not my first language so I wish to be clear,I respect both drivers and I am just curious to know what the rest think.
Thoughts?

Advertisement

#2 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 19:37

Lewis is great for the sport. He seems to be very accessible to the media and the public. He seems appealing to both the uk and the U.S.

He is also getting a different group of people to notice f1, which is a good thing.

#3 sprice

sprice

• 52 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 19:39

No, he's marmite. Personally I much prefer the professional, low profile of Vettel.

#4 Elba

Elba

• 318 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 19:41

Bernie is entitled to his opinion just like we are and with him at least we know its an informed one.

If he thinks the way Lewis goes around things makes him a better ambassador for F1 so be it.

Lewis seems to enjoy or seek the spotlights a bit and Seb is more like Schumacher where private remains private.

That said no driver is contracted to FOM/Bernie so they should do as they please.

#5 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 19:42

The thing is that if half of the world likes you and half of the world hates you, then the half that likes you will convert to F1.

If the entire world is indifferent to you, then nobody gives a toss about F1.

#6 Ducks

Ducks

• 829 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 19:42

Considering the amount of "Lewis Hamilton" based threads on this forum we have our answer.

People can't not talk about him, so yes you could says he's good for F1 and certainly good for Autosport.

#7 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 19:43

I understand Bernie's sentiment. Anonymity doesn't really help promote the sport. There are more reserved drivers who win and become characters and earn more devoted fans, but it tends to have a limited effect. At least Lewis is seen around.

On the other hand, it's no good that F1 seems to exist on this isolated time space bubble in which nothing ever happens away from a GP weekend. I can't think of anything that happened off the track between Melbourne and Sepang. Bernie's the one who should find ways to promote the sport...

Edited by Atreiu, 30 March 2015 - 19:43.

#8 P123

P123

• 23,842 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 19:43

Bernie being Bernie. He likes it that Hamilton may be in the newspapers or on talk shows or winning sports awards. It costs Bernie nothing and keeps F1 in the public eye. Bernie could get his finger out and do a bit of promoting the sport himself.

#9 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 19:44

Wasn't Bernie just saying this as his excuse for this years German GP getting cancelled?

He loves to blame everyone else for his screw ups.

#10 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 19:45

Is it in the contract of the F1 drivers that they have to promote F1 constantly? If not then I dont know what Bernies problem is

#11 Elba

Elba

• 318 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 19:50

Lewis is great for the sport. He seems to be very accessible to the media and the public. He seems appealing to both the uk and the U.S.

He is also getting a different group of people to notice f1, which is a good thing.

I doubt that's a good thing universally.

Every (new) driver brings different fans to F1 and many of those new ones seem clueless fanboys who follow the sport for all the wrong reasons. In short I prefer fans who enjoy and understand the sport to the Johnnies come lately who fawn over "their" driver.

#12 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 19:54

Good point on the German GP,Silverdtone was full house last year,but a week later in Germany empty seets all around the circuit.
And all this with Mercedes,Rosberg and Vettel in F1.Maybe ticket prices too high?Or Silverstone just know how to promote their star driver more?

#13 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 19:55

Agreed. Lewis is easily the biggest star outside of the sport, and that cannot be anything other than a good thing for F1.

I know his openness and willingness to engage with fans and the media can be off-putting to some, but if you want your drivers to have some personality again, Lewis is your saviour.

#14 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 20:01

Every (new) driver brings different fans to F1 and many of those new ones seem clueless fanboys who follow the sport for all the wrong reasons. In short I prefer fans who enjoy and understand the sport to the Johnnies come lately who fawn over "their" driver.

I understand where you are coming from.If you are on twitter and you follow Mercedes,they came under alot of heat from fans who in my opinion just started following F1 and think it is Nico/Hamilton's right to win.They seemed to have no appreciation of hindsight and that according to Mercedes models a three stopper was the fastest way to go.
At one point the poor guy handling the account basically said that its a sport,you lose to a better team sometimes.

#15 robefc

robefc

• 13,533 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 20:02

Bernie's a promoter and Lewis is a promoter's dream whereas Vettel has the audacity to just do his job and keep a low profile.

#16 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 20:02

Good point on the German GP,Silverdtone was full house last year,but a week later in Germany empty seets all around the circuit.
And all this with Mercedes,Rosberg and Vettel in F1.Maybe ticket prices too high?Or Silverstone just know how to promote their star driver more?

Can't really compare it. Mercedes and Rosberg never really caught the german audience, that is true, Rosberg just seems too stiff, boring, the rich, snobby kind of guy. Seb does capture the german audience to some degree but not as much as Schumacher did. I don't exactly know why that is (I personally couldn't stand Schumi til his later Mercedes years) but I can speculate. Nowadays there are less people into cars than there used to be. Ecological politics are a very important thing in germany as well. Adding to that going to watch the race in real is just too expensive. 

In the UK there are other free racing events where you could possibly meet F1 drivers, you don't have those in germany either. So nothing is really being done to connect the fans to the people they are fan off. You can't blame it all on one factor.

Main problem is my personal opinion is the Cost... Hockenheim is more accesible than Nürburgring. But even then a track close to Berlin or near any of the other big cities would attract more people. Since then you at least don't have the travel costs, which you have with the other tracks, who are expensive to visit anyway. 

Edited by Sin, 30 March 2015 - 20:09.

#17 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 899 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 20:11

Lewis is a good ambassador for the Sport but not for the reason Bernie has given. I fail to see how attending red carpet or taking picture with vacuous celebrities, like the Kardashian, makes him good for the Sport. For example, Roger Federer who is a good ambassador for Tennis doesn't need to attend red carpet, does he?

Good result and charisma makes a driver a good ambassador.

#18 Elba

Elba

• 318 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 20:13

I understand where you are coming from.If you are on twitter and you follow Mercedes,they came under alot of heat from fans who in my opinion just started following F1 and think it is Nico/Hamilton's right to win.They seemed to have no appreciation of hindsight and that according to Mercedes models a three stopper was the fastest way to go.
At one point the poor guy handling the account basically said that its a sport,you lose to a better team sometimes.

Thanks for taking my comment in the way it was intended.

More/different fans isn't necessarily better imo, it only is to FOM.

#19 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 1,065 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 20:24

my precccciousssssss. its my f1. my preeeeecccciousssssss :lol:

lewis is great for the exposure of F1 and bernie loves a freebie. despite gollum's attitude above it is great for the sport to have more viewers.

Advertisement

#20 pdac

pdac

• 17,074 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 20:33

Seb did not keep a low profile, though. He's the one that stood on the podium and had fans booing him. Whether you agree with the booing or not, it came about from Seb's actions and it's not the kind of thing that promotes the sport.

#21 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 20:35

Bernie newest idea is a Formula 1 just for women..... oh lord... you notice how old he is...

#22 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 20:45

Bernie newest idea is a Formula 1 just for women..... oh lord... you notice how old he is...

Like I said, everything Bernie said this weekend was just a misdirection to stop the press talking to him about Germany.

He doesn't really think F1 should have all women drivers, or that drivers should get points for qualifying and then grids should be mixed up.

He was just saying some extra crazy **** to drown out the other terrible news the press should have been asking him about. The F1 press never does its job though.

Edited by johnmhinds, 06 April 2015 - 22:57.

#23 ANF

ANF

• 29,055 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 20:48

Vettel a bad ambassador? Come on...

#24 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 21:07

According to Bernie.
Its not really his charachter.He has a brilliant sense of humor and comes across as a pretty down to earth to all that have met him personally.
Its because he doesnt go out of his way to reveal it.For example,am sure the Ferrari PR team are pretty fustrated with their drivers because they are the only ones on the grid that dont do any kind of social media.I think that may alienate some younger followers of F1 as in this day and age it is the only way to get closer to the drivers.
At the end of the day,I guess they have to do what makes them happy.Lewis is into the glamourous red carpet life and being a beast of a racing driver has given him the platform to live that life.

Same case to Seb and Kimi,they rather race without the hulabaloo that comes with its own,either way as long as it doesnt affect the racing it should be fine.
I noticed Lewis and Seb for all their different approaches and personalities seem to get on well though.Anyone else notice?

#25 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 21:22

One of things I respect the most about Vettel is how he doesn't seek the celebrity status that others seek and seems like one of the 'average joe' drivers. The average viewer eats that celeb **** right up and Bernie knows it.

Edited by MikeV1987, 30 March 2015 - 21:27.

#26 robefc

robefc

• 13,533 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 21:27

Seb did not keep a low profile, though. He's the one that stood on the podium and had fans booing him. Whether you agree with the booing or not, it came about from Seb's actions and it's not the kind of thing that promotes the sport.

When people refer to a sportsman keeping a low profile they do not usually mean he/she was rubbish and therefore successfully avoided the unavoidable profile raising consequences of winning...;-)

Edited by robefc, 30 March 2015 - 21:29.

#27 Elba

Elba

• 318 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 21:34

One of things I respect the most about Vettel is how he doesn't seek the celebrity status that others seek and seems like one of the 'average joe' drivers. The average viewer eats that celeb **** right up and Bernie knows it.

Probably has something to do with the personality of a person.

Some don't care about fame and even less about famous people, others like to mingle with the famous while they have the chance,

Let them be the only one who should care is Bernie

#28 robefc

robefc

• 13,533 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 21:34

I think Vettel is a brilliant role model...but not so good for raising the profile of F1, which is what Bernie is getting at. Good for him, I have no idea what his gf/wife looks like or anything about his child or what his life is like, i suspect Vettel is perfectly comfortable with that!

#29 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 21:59

I am reffering to his words over the weekend when he said that Lewis promotes F1 in more ways than every driver did.He also said Vettel was a terrible ambassasador.

I am a bit on the fence on this one to be honest.On one hand I do like how Lewis has taken his brand and in extension,the F1 brand to hollywood and no doubt many people know F1 more due to this.I think he did more to promote F1 after winning his championship than Seb ever did in the four years.

Then again,one of the reasons I am a big fan of Vettel is how he keeps his private life private and he has absolutley no interest in popularity.This indicates that he is a man who is sure of himself and has a target to win and win plently.I am not saying Lewis or any other driver is different,but to me some of them seem as interested to boost their likability as much as they want to win.
Do I make sense?Am sorry English is not my first language so I wish to be clear,I respect both drivers and I am just curious to know what the rest think.
Thoughts?

I think you're.... absolutely right.

Hamilton's celeb status is good for putting F1 in the news and keep people talking about it, but I also find it easier to sympathise with someone who keeps a low-profile like Vettel (although I'm not really his supporter at all).

#30 Nemick

Nemick

• 31 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 22:00

I think anyone who isn't hauled off to court on corruption charges is probably a good ambassador for F1.

#31 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 22:01

No.

#32 loki

loki

• 12,037 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 00:21

Considering the amount of "Lewis Hamilton" based threads on this forum we have our answer.

People can't not talk about him, so yes you could says he's good for F1 and certainly good for Autosport.

The reason Hamilton is popular here has more to do with the forum having a majority of UK based fans participating.  Outside of England and F1 he's really not that well known.  In the US you have to be an F1 fan to know who he is and even then there isn't near the ground swell of support and reverence for him as there is in the UK.  I think on the UK/Euro side of things F1 is a very nationalistic sport and Hamilton's popularity on this forum reflects that.

#33 Paco

Paco

• 7,251 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:16

He raised several very good points in his interview and I pretty much agreed with all of them.

As for Lewis, he was in my opinion, bang on. He lives the life that Bernie wants out there.. The larger then life, having fun, dating famous and in public persona... Too few of those exist. Many easily say.. Man I want that life.. Man it's glamourous,,I'm envious.. Fernando is good too..

Kimi hates press, hates the public aspect to promote the sport.
Seb is a bit better but very bland..
Nico is a tool. What a disaster as brand ambassador..
Button was alright but chilled tremendously..

Miss guys like Irvine, Jordan as a team owner not as a commenter though etc.

#34 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,727 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:24

I agree with him on this. Lewis and Kimi are great ambassadors, and Vettel and Alonso too.

But Kimi and Lewis especially connect with the newer younger fans much more. Lewis has been fantastic for the sport. he's got different interests and hobbies to the others and that makes people take notice.

His title win means he is the most relevant he has been for a while in general pop culture, and him with the Mercedes brand is great marketing for the sport. No wonder gollum loves it.

Of course being the first black F1 champion also was a major help in terms of him now being a role model too. 

#35 EarnardBeccelstone

EarnardBeccelstone

• 89 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:42

Outside of the track, I'm not a fan of either to be honest.

If I had to pick one, I'd prefer Vettel, as I much more admire his sort of quiet professionalism, as well as his self-depreciating sense of humour.

Lewis' approach seem to consist of hanging out with celebrities of dubious vale, putting his dog, jewelery and tatoos on social media and posing for fashion shoots (as well as reshaping his ridiculous facial hair). Nouveau riche in the worst sense of the word.

However, its a popular approach. Particularly with the sub-30, 'put my life in social media, which celebrity is doing what' crowd. Speaking as someone only recently on the wrong side of 35, its not something I like, but, then again, I've never been one for populism.

The best 'ambassadors' for F1 I can think of are the young drivers - enthusiasm is always contagious - along with Button, Ricciardo and Kimi. Those are the sort of drivers I can imagine sitting down with, having a conversation and actually enjoying their company. Feet on the ground, good head on their shoulders sorts.

#36 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 693 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:45

The reason Hamilton is popular here has more to do with the forum having a majority of UK based fans participating. Outside of England and F1 he's really not that well known. In the US you have to be an F1 fan to know who he is and even then there isn't near the ground swell of support and reverence for him as there is in the UK. I think on the UK/Euro side of things F1 is a very nationalistic sport and Hamilton's popularity on this forum reflects that.

Hamilton is not well known outside of England and F1? That makes his achievement of being the most marketable sportsperson in the world all the more impressive.

http://www.telegraph...ortsperson.html

Which in part, I suspect why Ecclestone chose to give him such a glowing review. Hamilton is mega high profile, fan friendly and a very fast, exciting racing driver. Oh, and lots of people despise him, too. All of which help keep F1 being constantly talked about. Great news for Ecclestone and his bank balance.

#37 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:53

Let me put it this way.... I have seen advertisement on the street with Mika Häkkinen in it just a year ago. Also of course Sebby got advertisment here in germany alot. But I never saw any ads with Lewis.... well didn't see any with Rosberg either.

#38 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:00

Bernie is a fool, first Vettel was the best thing ever, now Hamilton is the best thing ever and Vettel was not that great, he goes where the money and the success is, he has zero credibility.

I don't think Lewis is a good ambassador for F1 outside the track but probably none of them are. FIA and FOM should worry more about promoting their sport the right way and leave the drivers alone, they already do enough PR during the weekend.

Edited by kosmos, 31 March 2015 - 06:10.

#39 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:31

The reason Hamilton is popular here has more to do with the forum having a majority of UK based fans participating.  Outside of England and F1 he's really not that well known.  In the US you have to be an F1 fan to know who he is and even then there isn't near the ground swell of support and reverence for him as there is in the UK.  I think on the UK/Euro side of things F1 is a very nationalistic sport and Hamilton's popularity on this forum reflects that.

Most people here in the US have never even heard of Formula 1, so they don't know the name of ANY F1 drivers, Hamilton included.  Andretti is pretty much the only F1 driver with a truly recognizable name in the US, but even in his case it's not because of Formula 1.

I'm not sure we are the best gauge of F1 driver popularity.   :p

Advertisement

#40 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:33

I don't blame Vettel for keeping a low profile. I do however blame him for criticising F1 over and over and over again since things weren't going his way.

Btw, why am I not surprised that this thread is yet another chance for people to vent off steam about Hamilton. :rolleyes:

Edited by GoldenColt, 31 March 2015 - 05:36.

#41 Vibe

Vibe

• 383 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:35

LOL,Hamilton is a poser with no charisma.Most boring man in F1.

Vettel is funny and interesting.

#42 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:45

The thing is that if half of the world likes you and half of the world hates you, then the half that likes you will convert to F1.

If the entire world is indifferent to you, then nobody gives a toss about F1.

Yes, narcissists are very marketable, that's why they are more naturally suited to becoming actors/musicians/celebrities.  People who love as much attention as possible.  Great for stirring up drama or attention, great for making money.  People get addicted to talking about them.  A good combination, like jigsaw puzzle pieces that fit together?  Especially in the days of social media.

Don't really care about though, and pretty much never agree with anything Bernie says.  Feel a bit of shame just for clicking on this thread at all.

Just like to watch F1 for good driving.

I enjoyed Vettel's win on the weekend, separate from if he's happy with his girlfriend, what he ate for breakfast, if he got a new Ferrari tattoo, or whether or not he went to a nightclub after the race.

#43 GoodSister

GoodSister

• 172 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:49

One of the reasons I am a Seb fan is because he's normally interesting and engaging when being interviewed during a Grand Prix weekend but otherwise keeps himself to himself away from the track. I relate to this so well - I am quite reserved myself in what I share with others. On the other hand, I do like the fact that Lewis is not afraid to wear his heart on his sleeve and put himself out there - there are elements of that I wish I could be like.

The "ideal" is probably somewhere in the middle - Lewis could probably learn a couple of things from Seb and Seb could probably learn a couple of things from Lewis.

Edited by GoodSister, 31 March 2015 - 06:10.

#44 sergey1308

sergey1308

• 116 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:18

The best ambassador for Formula 1 is spectacular races. No matter who is a champion. And if Seb will win 2015 WDC in a close struggle it will be better for sport than LH title last year.

#45 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,440 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:19

Bernie should just shut it. 

#46 ronsingapore

ronsingapore

• 103 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:30

Thoughts?

Perhaps, when it comes to a sport like F1, a controversial ambassador might be more popular than a PC ambassador; controversial in the sense that there is always a sense of danger and a aura of "living close to the edges of death".

#47 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,836 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:02

Bernie and the words 'A good F1 ambassador'... The words of Bapa Mahatma Gandhi spring to mind, when he was asked what he thought about 'western civilisation'. Gandhi said: 'Sounds like an excellent idea.'

#48 Grundle

Grundle

• 1,309 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:16

If Vettel got money for engaging in social media, watch how quick his finger moves.

#49 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:18

It all depends on what you mean by 'ambassador'.  I doubt if Bernie's definition is the same as that of any of us.  

For most of us, it is how a driver behaves on track that matters. For Bernie, it is appeal to the Rolex-wearing classes and the free-loading 'celebrities' that he seems to regard as his core audience.

#50 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:53

Bernie is just looking at an ambassador from a commercial angle. He wants somebody that is going to attract new fans. In that sense, a controversial inconsiderate and rude prat would be better for him than some of the drivers that us, already being fans, would consider good role models for young karters and young fans.