Photo

Is this year really a centennial of Carrozzeria Ghia?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dmj

dmj

• 2,250 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:53

Sorry if this isn't directly racing related question - but as I know that a lot of TNF members have outstanding libraries I thought that someone might know the definitive answer.

Different sources I have claim different date of establishment for one of the coachbuilding true greats, Carrozzeria Ghia. Ones I respect most generally seem to state 1915. as the year, and that would mean that this year is the centennial. The ubiquitous Wikipedia, however, claims 1916. while some other sources have even post WWI dates.

In May we have an automotive design conference in Zagreb and with great Tom Tjaarda visiting us I’d like to make a small exhibition of cars he created (and other guests like Peter Stevens and Patrick Le Quement too), both real ones and scale models. I’d certainly like to broaden the theme for display if it is really Ghia centennial. If anyone can help me confirming the year of establishment I’d be really thankful.

Advertisement

#2 pilota

pilota

• 249 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:14

A bit of quick research (from a source I trust) indicates that Ghia was founded in 1915 by Giacinto Ghia. 

Nathan