Photo
- - - - -

Will Ferrari mount a serious title challenge this year?

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

Poll: Will Ferrari mount a serious title challenge this year? (310 member(s) have cast votes)

Ferrari WDC/WCC this year?

1. Yes, everything is in place for them in 2015 (great car, drivers, engineers). (59 votes [19.03%])

Percentage of vote: 19.03%

2. No, their win was one of, it will be a repeat of 2010, 2013. (113 votes [36.45%])

Percentage of vote: 36.45%

3. To early to judge. (138 votes [44.52%])

Percentage of vote: 44.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 20:56

What do you guys think? Is ti possible for Ferrari to fight for the titles this year after they beat mercedes on pure pace in Malaysia? Toto in Lewis belive they are now contenders.

Or its too early and ferrari will suffer with failed in season development, just like in some previous year, where they started strong just to eventually fall of the pace?

Advertisement

#2 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 693 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 21:06

I think Ferrari's result was more to do with the extreme temperatures which worked well for them, turning the GP into a tyre limited race. Fair play, they were the better team on the day. But do I think they can really bring the fight to Mercedes for an entire season, this season? No, not this year at least, although the title battle would be awesome to behold, but I really don't see it happening just yet.

#3 Hkruijf

Hkruijf

• 75 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 21:11

Too early to judge. First they need to confirm their pace on other circuits in normal conditions and other tire compounds.

#4 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 21:12

No, because they dont have Hamilton or Alonso :smoking:

#5 skicrack

skicrack

• 285 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 21:14

Although it's quite early to judge this, I think they could. I think the mercedes of last year wasn't an exceptional car. They just did a very good job on all aspects of the car as opposed to the competition. Like one eye is king in the land of the blind.

It wasn't a car like the red bulls of the years before, which had een aspect what was exceptional. That's, in my oppinion, why they are quite quickly matched.

Ferrari will be able to fight for one of the titles if they can keep up developing. As soon as mercedes will be beaten they will start panicking. This will be essential for ferraris chances for the title. Hamilton always starts to let his head down as soon as it doesn't go his way, like last sunday. He then starts bitching about things, which keeps his mind of racing. When this happens ferrari really can fight for the title.

This is Hamiltons only downfall though. Rosberg will never be champion as long as hamilton is in the same car, or when vettel, kimi, max or alonsa have a competitive car. Even Ricciardo will beat Rosberg before he will become a champion.

#6 P123

P123

• 23,842 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 21:14

They are the second best team by a clear margin with not much threat from behind so they should be able to at least hang on in there for most of the season.

#7 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 21:17

It's too early to say, if they can push Mercedes in the next 3 races, Spain especially, then I'll believe that they are in the hunt.

#8 SammyWilson

SammyWilson

• 46 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 21:26

Too early but I believe they won't

#9 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,465 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 21:27

I voted "too early to judge" but at the same time I'm pretty sure that this isn't a one-off result. Whether they succeed also depends on how Mercedes can and will develop, and maybe also how the relationship between Hamilton and Rosberg will develop. How will Nico play Webber to Hamilton's Vettel if and when he's asked to?

Edited by scheivlak, 31 March 2015 - 21:28.

#10 gribbli

gribbli

• 135 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 21:32

I think this was just a perfect storm between the SC and the fact that Lewis & Nico were stuck in traffic during the best time of the tyres in their 2nd stint, whereas Vettel was in clear air for his, amounting to upwards of 2-3 seconds per lap gap Vettel was able to whittle down quickly.

The more comparable latter stages where there was only 1 lap difference in the age of Lewis' & Vettels hard tyres, Lewis was comfortably 0.5-1 second a lap faster than Vettel. Remove the SC from the picture and it wouldnt surprise me if it had been a normal day at the office (10-30 second gap between Merc and the rest).

#11 tifosi

tifosi

• 22,610 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 21:46

I voted too early too judge.

My guess is that there were some unique circumstances in Malaysia that favored Ferrari, specifically regards the heat and tire degradation.

So basically while I do not believe they will challenge for the tile until next year, I do believe they will make many races interesting.

#12 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,465 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 21:50

The more comparable latter stages where there was only 1 lap difference in the age of Lewis' & Vettels hard tyres, Lewis was comfortably 0.5-1 second a lap faster than Vettel. Remove the SC from the picture and it wouldnt surprise me if it had been a normal day at the office (10-30 second gap between Merc and the rest).

Utter nonsense. Seb just managed the gap - and pretty easily. 

As Mandzipop mentioned in another thread it might just as well be the Australian GP that confused us, when Vettel lost heaps of time behind Massa in the first stint and resignated himself to just controlling the gap to Massa after he got third behind the Mercs.

#13 ebc

ebc

• 438 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 21:53

They have a chance at this point. They have good results , a fast car and drivers who seem to make a good team. I think Merc still have the advantage for now but Ferrari will catch up. I think Merc need to make the most of their advantage now as it may not be there all season.

#14 Jerem

Jerem

• 2,164 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 21:56

Of course it is too early to judge. Here are my thoughts on it so far:

You didn't mean 2010 did you? In 2010, Ferrari DID mount a serious title challenge - Alonso was in contention until the last race.

I don't think it will be comparable to 2013 either, when Ferrari started with a very good car (they had arguably the best car in China and Spain for example), but could not keep up with development.

I expect them to fight for the win when track and conditions suit them, they get everything perfect and Merc don't. However if they can progress faster than Merc, they could be contenders for the win towards mid-season, and if Merc can't run away until then, maybe they can even be title contenders.

#15 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,727 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 22:00

I think they will be in the hunt in the same way that Ricciardo was towards the end of last season, or Hamilton in 2010. Or even Vettel in 2009. Not too far away so they will keep it a bit spicy, but not really ever looking like winning it.

EDIT: Yeah I think you mean 2011. In 2010, only dumb strategy stopped Alonso winning the title.

Edited by SCUDmissile, 31 March 2015 - 22:04.

#16 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 22:01

I think it's incredible what James Allison and his team have done between last year and this. We have yet to see how much they have eroded Mercedes' advantage. Things will settle down after a few more races. There's no way Ferrari is ahead on pace; we weren't clearly ahead on pace at Sepang except at the end of the stints; we just had less deg.

Hopefully we'll have less deg than Mercedes everywhere, but it was unusually hot at Sepang. From what I hear, Paul Hembury used the track to cook himself a Sunday brunch. So although I'm still walking around with a dumb grin all over my face following Sunday's fantastic and brilliant result, I definitely think there's more work to do to catch up.

Ferrari will do it. It's a question of how quickly, and how far in the lead Hamilton and Mercedes will be when we do catch up.

#17 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 1,895 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 22:14

I hope not  :cat:

Although it's quite early to judge this, I think they could. I think the mercedes of last year wasn't an exceptional car. They just did a very good job on all aspects of the car as opposed to the competition. Like one eye is king in the land of the blind.

It wasn't a car like the red bulls of the years before, which had een aspect what was exceptional. That's, in my oppinion, why they are quite quickly matched.

Ferrari will be able to fight for one of the titles if they can keep up developing. As soon as mercedes will be beaten they will start panicking. This will be essential for ferraris chances for the title. Hamilton always starts to let his head down as soon as it doesn't go his way, like last sunday. He then starts bitching about things, which keeps his mind of racing. When this happens ferrari really can fight for the title.

This is Hamiltons only downfall though. Rosberg will never be champion as long as hamilton is in the same car, or when vettel, kimi, max or alonsa have a competitive car. Even Ricciardo will beat Rosberg before he will become a champion.

:down:  :down:  :down:

Rosberg is a better driver than raikonen, Ricciardo and Max (Mosely ??). I expect him to win in China, actually. 

We also know that Ferrari are dreadful at developing their car, so Mercedes have a big advantage there as time passes. 

#18 pusko

pusko

• 990 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 22:14

Too early to judge. But I think it will be hard to do it again this year. Maybe once, twice, but that's it.

#19 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,465 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 23:22

Rosberg is a better driver than raikonen, Ricciardo and Max (Mosely ??). I expect him to win in China, actually. 

Keke ??  :wave:

Advertisement

#20 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 23:26

Rosberg is a better driver than raikonen, Ricciardo and Max (Mosely ??)

Keke ??  :wave:

It's not the stupidest opinion is it?

#21 Ar558

Ar558

• 50 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 23:34

Might get 1 or 2 more wins but not close enough to Merc in normal conditions to realistically challenge until at least after the summer break by which time Merc will have both titles under complete control.

#22 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,479 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 23:52

Utter nonsense. Seb just managed the gap - and pretty easily. 

As Mandzipop mentioned in another thread it might just as well be the Australian GP that confused us, when Vettel lost heaps of time behind Massa in the first stint and resignated himself to just controlling the gap to Massa after he got third behind the Mercs.

I thought that too. However Allision states that not pitting Vettel during the safety car period was instrumental in the win. Ferrari non the less out smarted Mercedes.

I voted to early to judge.

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/118314

#23 D1rtyHarry

D1rtyHarry

• 432 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 23:53

They've beaten Mercedes in race 2. Yes.

I wouldn't say everything is in place for them but I would say that they have enough to mount a title challenge. Certainly a higher chance than Ricciardo last year.

Edited by D1rtyHarry, 31 March 2015 - 23:54.

#24 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:55

Too early to judge I would say.  We've only seen them race on 2 dissimilar tracks in very different conditions, and the results were radically different.  Malaysia was more typical of the "average" F1 track in terms of the layout, but also much hotter track temps than average.  So it will probably depend how much of the difference was because of temperatures and how much was because of the circuit layout.

Pirelli could play a major role in deciding the championship too, depending on what tyres they bring to races.  Based on what we've seen so far softer tyres will favor Ferrari (much like in 2013 until they changed tyres mid-season and handed the WCC and WDC to RBR)

Reliability could also be a big factor.  Mercedes wasn't exactly bullet proof last season, and we all saw how long it took Hamilton to recover from a single DNF.

Edited by travbrad, 01 April 2015 - 01:57.

#25 D1rtyHarry

D1rtyHarry

• 432 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:12

Y'see I wouldn't call 2 podium positions in 2 races radically differerent. Especially when it's only been 2 races and the second podium position was a bloody win!!!

Edited by D1rtyHarry, 01 April 2015 - 02:13.

#26 baddog

baddog

• 29,677 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:16

I still doubt a real season long challenge. I would like it but I dont expect it

#27 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:39

Y'see I wouldn't call 2 podium positions in 2 races radically differerent. Especially when it's only been 2 races and the second podium position was a bloody win!!!

I was more referring to the pace difference than the positions.  In Melbourne it looked like Mercedes easily had a 0.5s per lap advantage and we weren't even sure if Mercedes was pushing 100% there.  In Malaysia Ferrari genuinely looked like they had the pace to match Mercedes.  Relative to the leading Mercedes, Vettel was 42 seconds faster over the race distance than he was in Melbourne (+34 vs -8).  That's a huge difference IMO.

#28 D1rtyHarry

D1rtyHarry

• 432 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:08

I would agree in the race pace being radically different. But perhaps that's down to "the heat" or "the safety car" or "traffic".

However Mercedes and Ferrari want to sum it up it's all looking a damn site better than it was last year so hurrar! For that. I hope Raikkonen wins in Spa.

Edited by D1rtyHarry, 01 April 2015 - 03:10.

#29 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:48

I think Ferrari's result was more to do with the extreme temperatures which worked well for them, turning the GP into a tyre limited race. Fair play, they were the better team on the day. But do I think they can really bring the fight to Mercedes for an entire season, this season? No, not this year at least, although the title battle would be awesome to behold, but I really don't see it happening just yet.

Éste. Exactamente.

#30 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 3,849 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:03

I'll wait before Spain to pass judgement.

#31 D1rtyHarry

D1rtyHarry

• 432 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:04

I think the reason to be impressed is due to the timing of the victory and how it was won. It was won not only from the car but from the strategy as well.

This is a well deserved victory very early on in the chapionship and I don't believe that there were many who thought of the possibility of Ferrari winning a race so early on especially Mercedes.

Ricciardo didn't mount a title challenge to Hamilton and Rosberg until the Canadian GP with his first win and his title challenge was strong right until the end of his last win at the Hungaroring. Things are looking very good for both Hamilton & Vettel right now. Rosberg & Raikkonen are the underdogs.

Edited by D1rtyHarry, 01 April 2015 - 05:08.

#32 dreamer

dreamer

• 1,922 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:08

To early to judge buy I hope so.

#33 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:09

No, Ferrari will not mount a serious challenge to Mercedes for the WDC/WCC this year.

They will win a few more GPs, and be in serious contention in several others but Mercedes should be able to wrap up the WCC with 3-4 GPs remaining in the season, ie by the US/Mexican GP.

#34 V666

V666

• 70 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:54

If they have a car that is only slightly slower than the Mercedes on the majority of circuits then they have a great chance of causing an upset IMO. Ferrari and Redbull on the whole are head and shoulders above the other teams when it comes to race strategies and thinking on your feet, this makes a massive difference in race and title challenges.

#35 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:05

The car isn't fast enough. At least not yet.

And if Lewis can beat a decent driver in a Mercedes, he can beat somebody in a slower car.

Not getting any hopes up. I'll be happy to pick up the pieces again a couple more times this season. :)

#36 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,683 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:10

Too early. We'll know after Spain.

#37 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:30

It is open to debate, but Vettel in a car that he feels really comfortable in, may be just as good. I don't think there was anything lacking in his performance in Malaysia.

#38 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:34

What do you guys think? Is ti possible for Ferrari to fight for the titles this year after they beat mercedes on pure pace in Malaysia? Toto in Lewis belive they are now contenders.

Or its too early and ferrari will suffer with failed in season development, just like in some previous year, where they started strong just to eventually fall of the pace?

Personally I think Mercedes will win the majority of races and the championship. Unless we see a 1999-kind of season with Mercedes making lots of errors, taking points away from each other and surprisingly Irvine out of nowhere was competing till the end. Of course that's a possibility, you never know! Sometimes even teams with an edge can have two drivers battling it out, losing points, team making lots of mistakes, cracking under pressure, and making it "somehow" close.

And sure enough, Ferrari has made a great step forward, truly great. But the gap was a bit too big to completely eradicate the gap. And Mercedes will also give an answer in car development race. For 2015 they'll have an edge.

#39 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:46

Maybe.

Advertisement

#40 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:02

I personally voted yes, more out of wishful thinking than rational analysis.

The biggest anwser to this question will not be whether ferrari will challenge merc on colder races but whether the first big update package to the car will work as intended or not. First signs are not good. Ferrari developed a new front wing during testing but it wasnt sure whether it works or not. Just like previus year when the upgrades oftenly didnt work at all.

#41 KTownDevil

KTownDevil

• 483 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:03

Vettel yes, Kimi no - if their engine updates are good. 

#42 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:04

It'll be a 2011-like season. With Ferrari being McLaren and Mercedes being Red Bull.

At least I hope so.

#43 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:07

The biggest anwser to this question will not be whether ferrari will challenge merc on colder races but whether the first big update package to the car will work as intended or not. First signs are not good. Ferrari developed a new front wing during testing but it wasnt sure whether it works or not. Just like previus year when the upgrades oftenly didnt work at all.

The front wing was a success. There were concerns(even voiced by me) that the updates weren't cleared by Melbourne, but they used it all throughout the practice sessions and the rest of the weekend and never reverted to the old wing even for comparison. What I was reacting to was a 'report', obviously one that wasn't legitimate as is often the case with Ferrari, that Ferrari were still going to use the old front wing at Melbourne. But that never materialized.

There have been a couple other little updates that have stayed on the car as well, including new rear wing endplates. I'd say it's looking good so far on that front.

Edited by Seanspeed, 01 April 2015 - 09:07.

#44 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:08

That didn't seem to stop Red Bull winning 4 in a row....

If the car is quick enough they can challenge, but I don't think it is - yet - will depend on the the upgrades, Ferrari seemed quite confident they would have a chance from mid-season so it will be interesting to see if they make a step forward and if Mercedes are also able to develop enough to stay in front.

(I do worry Pirelli could have a major say in the results though if there is a big difference in the tyre wear between the 2 teams, even at cooler tracks and softer tyres will favour Ferrari and harder Mercedes - could come down to who Pirelli want to win :( )

Edited by Exb, 01 April 2015 - 09:09.

#45 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:10

That didn't seem to stop Red Bull winning 4 in a row....

If the car is quick enough they can challenge, but I don't think it is - yet - will depend on the the upgrades, Ferrari seemed quite confident they would have a chance from mid-season so it will be interesting to see if they make a step forward and if Mercedes are also able to develop enough to stay in front.

(I do worry Pirelli could have a major say in the results though if there is a big difference in the tyre wear between the 2 teams, even at cooler tracks and softer tyres will favour Ferrari and harder Mercedes - could come down to who Pirelli want to win :( )

If it did come down to tire choices, it doesn't necessarily have to be a matter of who Pirelli want to win. It just may happen that the cards fall as they fall. Pirelli disadvantaged Ferrari in 2013 with their tire changes, so I don't think there needs to be any fear of Italian bias or whatever that I heard for a while.

Edited by Seanspeed, 01 April 2015 - 09:11.

#46 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:16

And for Ferrari's sake Arrivabene must start making political pressure on Pirelli so that they bring more agressive tyre choices on each race.

#47 Zava

Zava

• 7,115 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:24

It'll be a 2011-like season. With Ferrari being McLaren and Mercedes being Red Bull.

At least I hope so.

hopefully also with Lewis being Lewis and Seb being Seb, and then it is game on. :smoking:

#48 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:37

I sooooo want to say yes but my gut says no. We'll win races and take points off Mercedes but not consistently enough to mount a serious challenge. 

If we can improve the car then there is always a chance, especially if Mercedes have reliability issues. 

#49 Donkey

Donkey

• 947 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:43

Will be interesting to see the relative performance in China. It is a very similar circuit to Sepang in terms of track layout and corner types but the track surface will be much colder.

#50 Elba

Elba

• 318 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:51

I sooooo want to say yes but my gut says no. We'll win races and take points off Mercedes but not consistently enough to mount a serious challenge. 

If we can improve the car then there is always a chance, especially if Mercedes have reliability issues. 

Same here, if Vettel could emulate Schumacher in his first season for Ferrari, win 3 races and secure 3rd in WDC that would be great.