The BTCC 2015 Season thread

• Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

#1 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 20:54

The season-opener will take place this weekend on the Brands Hatch Indy circuit.

Teams and Drivers

Following a particularly eventful game of musical chairs over the winter, this year's driver line-up looks like this:

West Surrey Racing / Team JCT600 with GardX / Team IHG Rewards Club (BMW 125i M Sport)
Rob Collard
Sam Tordoff
Andy Priaulx

Infiniti Support Our Paras Racing (Infiniti Q50)
Derek Palmer Jr
Richard Hawken*

Team Dynamics / Honda Yuasa Racing (Honda Civic Type R)

Matt Neal

Gordon Shedden

MG 888 Racing (MG6 GT)

Jack Goff

Andrew Jordan

Team BMR (Volkswagen CC)

Colin Turkington

Warren Scott

Árón Smith

Jason Plato

Motorbase Performance (Ford Focus ST)*

Mat Jackson*

James Cole*

Handy Motorsport (Toyota Avensis)

Simon Belcher

Speedworks Motorsport (Toyota Avensis)

Tom Ingram

Welch Motorsport (Proton Persona)

Andy Wilmot

Dan Welch

Dextra Racing (Ford Focus ST)

Alex Martin

Laser Tools Racing (Mercedes-Benz A-Class)

Aiden Moffat

Power Maxed Racing / #RacingforHeroes (Chevrolet Cruze)

Dave Newsham

Josh Cook

AmD Tuning

Mike Bushell (Ford Focus ST)

Nicolas Hamilton (Audi S3)*

RCIB Insurance Racing (Toyota Avensis)

Kieran Gallagher

Eurotech Racing (Honda Civic)

Martin Depper

Jeff Smith

Ciceley Racing / WIX Racing (Mercedes-Benz A-Class)

Adam Morgan

Rob Austin Racing / Exocet AlcoSense (Audi A4)

Hunter Abbott

Rob Austin

Houseman Racing (Toyota Avensis)

Stewart Lines

* - confirmed entries that will not take part until later in the season.

Calendar

The calendar is far more familiar, with the only change being the reversion to the Oulton Park Island layout after the series' unsuccessful experiment with the International configuration last year.  As ever, all the races (and many of the supports) will be covered live by ITV4.

1. Brands Hatch Indy - April 5
  2. Donington Park - April 19
  3. Thruxton - May 10
  4. Oulton Park - June 7
  5. Croft - June 28
  6. Snetterton - August 9
  7. Knockhill - August 23
  8. Rockingham - September 6
  9. Silverstone - September 27
  10. Brands Hatch GP - October 11

Rule Changes

There are a number of changes to the regulations for this season:

• The amounts of success ballast have been increased, and the RWD cars must carry theirs as far forward in the cabin as possible.
  • The starting performance of the FWD and RWD cars will be analysed to determine if equalisation measures are necessary.
  • In-season engine boost level adjustment has been dropped.
  • The drivers must spread their use of the mandatory soft tyre compound equally across Races 1, 2 and 3 over the course of the season.
  • The Race 2 grid will be set by the fastest laps set by each car in Race 1, discounting tyre changes (except in mixed weather conditions).
  • The Jack Sears Trophy will be awarded to the highest-placed rookie driver.

And finally...

Edited by midgrid, 01 April 2015 - 21:04.

Advertisement

#2 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 21:00

Nice informative OP :up: (but what do the asterix mean?)

#3 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 21:04

Nice informative OP :up: (but what do the asterix mean?)

Sorry, they're confirmed entries for later in the season (but not the first race).

#4 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 21:14

Yeah, good op. Here's for a great year of bullish racing.
I'm behind the Turk again to defend his title.
Shall be going to Croft and Rockingham this year.
Should be a mixed weather day Sunday....

#5 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 21:25

I hope they move the Rockingham race next year, last two years have clashed with the Santa Pod Euro Finals and it is one of my favourite rounds to watch live. Since Donington again clashes with my holiday, it will be Croft and Silverstone - maybe Oulton as well this year.

I think Turk may take a few races to get up to speed on the FWD. With good reliability it could be Plato's year.

#6 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,143 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 21:30

Cheers for the OP, Midgrid.

This Sunday's racing is a bit on the poor side, but at least we have the BTCC. And I just love Brands Hatch, the Indy version.

Go get 'em Jordan.

#7 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 21:35

Can someone explain to me why Nick Hamilton is in this?

#8 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 21:55

Because Lewis?

#9 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 22:00

Because he is a racing driver and has as much right to be there as anyone else.

#10 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 22:02

BMR look strong. How did the CC do last year? I think it'll take Turkington a while to get used to FWD.

Yuasa are going to love the Type-R

#11 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 22:26

BMR look strong. How did the CC do last year? I think it'll take Turkington a while to get used to FWD.

Pretty good - Smith won two races, Alain Menu finished on the podium a couple of times and even owner-driver Scott took some top-ten finishes.  The car has been getting steadily better since the closely related Vauxhall Insignia first appeared in 2012, and the team should be aided by Turkington and Plato bringing their race engineers with them from WSR and Triple Eight respectively.

Plato and Turkington also led the way at the pre-season group test at Donington, and Plato has predicted a fight between BMR and Triple Eight at Brands Hatch.

#12 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 23:28

Can someone explain to me why Nick Hamilton is in this?

He has as much right to race as the well-off businessmen who tend to populate the lower grid spots...

#13 king_crud

king_crud

• 7,984 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:46

I've got my tickets for Sunday

#14 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:52

My predictions:

I reckon the title will be between Flash and Jordan. Neal hasn't really been able to stamp any sort of authority on proceedings for the last couple of seasons, and I don't see that changing.

Plato and Turk will be at the pointy end but the CC won't be consistent enough for a title run. There'll be at least one clash between them.

The rule changes will hurt the rear-wheel drives to the point there's no hope of a BMW title defense, plus it'll take Priaulx a while to get up to speed and I don't think Tordoff is yet at the point where he can be consistently quick enough. 

Hamilton will replace Plato as the series' most divisive driver.

#15 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 15:03

I hope Priaulx can regain his winning ways in the BMW. 

And good luck to Nick Hamilton.  He has to overcome not only his own physical problems, but also massive hostility because he is Lewis's brother.  I don't expect him to do very well, but this is a series that included such luminaries as John B&Q so he has nothing to beat.

#16 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 15:57

I am looking forward to seeing what effect the new rule for using fastest lap for the race 2 grid has.  It should shuffle things up a bit without the randomness of the reverse grid.

#17 DS27

DS27

• 4,681 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 18:12

He has as much right to race as the well-off businessmen who tend to populate the lower grid spots...

And those well-off people that do buy a drive in BTCC get universally slammed on this forum, despite being, in all likelihood quicker than Nick.

I actually have no problem with him racing, but if everyones fine with Nick racing then they should lay off the other people that aren't there on talent alone.

#18 mercedessurearepopularnow

mercedessurearepopularnow

• 123 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 19:26

• In-season engine boost level adjustment has been dropped.

Translation: We're 100% sure we've orchestrated Plato having the best car this time, so they'll be no reason to do so.

#19 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 20:37

My predictions:

I reckon the title will be between Flash and Jordan. Neal hasn't really been able to stamp any sort of authority on proceedings for the last couple of seasons, and I don't see that changing.
Plato and Turk will be at the pointy end but the CC won't be consistent enough for a title run. There'll be at least one clash between them.
The rule changes will hurt the rear-wheel drives to the point there's no hope of a BMW title defense, plus it'll take Priaulx a while to get up to speed and I don't think Tordoff is yet at the point where he can be consistently quick enough.
Hamilton will replace Plato as the series' most divisive driver.

Are the MG's strong enough over all the tracks for Jordan to have a chance? He's also quite prone to bad luck... I wish him well, but he's at a new team in a so-so car. Flash is consistently quick, has driven a works Honda forever and generally manages to stay out of trouble. The Type-R is going to be a rocket, BMW are out of the picture and Neal is simply slow.

It's his season to lose.

Advertisement

#20 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:10

And those well-off people that do buy a drive in BTCC get universally slammed on this forum, despite being, in all likelihood quicker than Nick.

I actually have no problem with him racing, but if everyones fine with Nick racing then they should lay off the other people that aren't there on talent alone.

I agree but I will also say that their right to race should not prevent them for being up for criticism on their driving...

#21 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:55

People will react against Nick for the same reason people have reacted against Danica; the absolute level of talent is less the issue than what they feel is the amount of uncritical media coverage incongruous with said talent. 

#22 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,816 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 20:49

down to 27 cars. Dan Welch is out with a broken foot and no sub

#23 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 19:12

Priaulx on pole :clap: http://www.autosport...t.php/id/118361

#24 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 19:24

BMW are out of the picture 

You were saying?

#25 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,143 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 20:44

Priaulx is back. What is this, 2005?

#26 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 13:04

Ginetta juniors seem to be as nuts as usual.

#27 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 21:22

Looks like a close-fought championship is on the cards, although Plato must be the favourite at the moment after his impressive pace with second-placed ballast. The new rules seem to have had a big effect on the strategy of the race weekend. Also good to see Priaulx immediately on the pace and a huge Porsche Supercup grid.

#28 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 22:00

Yes the support series are looking very healthy this year. We've had a few years now where a few of them were lucky to get a grid in the low teens. With the BTCC fuller than ever, it's only right the Porsches and Ginettas have a high number of participants.

The new F4s are looking decent as well. Seeing 20 cars lined up is a rare sight in modern British single-seater racing.

Edited by Fastcake, 05 April 2015 - 22:00.

#29 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 22:03

I think the ballast might have gone a step too far, Plato aside anyone with significant weight dropped like a stone in the races. It's like Super GT where the previous winner has no chance in the following race. It was interesting to note that he wasn't that great on softs though in the 3rd race, and dropped back to 16th at the finish from a high of 13th/14th .

MSA Formula was entertaining, I'll be keeping an eye on that.

#30 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 00:07

Yeah, I agree. I think the ballast this year has the risk of making it a bit too random.

The problem with trying to make it as competitive as possible is that you risk discrediting the championship if someone kind of 'lucks into' it. I mean, after the first round when a driver who had two eighths over the weekend is in the joint lead of the championship, it's a bit worrying. Very early days of course, but the cream should always rise to the top. However, with the way things are this year it'll be very difficult indeed.

But I guess we have to wait to Donington Park to see how it shakes out before we can really say if they've gone a bit too far.

One thing I will say is that I was very impressed with Priaulx today. Class act, and deserved a win.

#31 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,249 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 00:07

Austin's attempted rigging of the third race draw was hilarious. He later said that he saw it done before so we've presumably witnessed what were effectively rigged races. Something tells me we won't be seeing any of the reverse-grid beneficiaries do the draw again any time soon...

#32 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:35

I particularly loved the fact that Gow still drew out the number 10 anyway, making the whole thing moot.

#33 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:55

He did basically admit to it didn't he?

What was even more funny was Gow picking his number the second time as well!

#34 king_crud

king_crud

• 7,984 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 14:16

what happened to Plato in the second race? Saw it happen but haven't heard why

#35 Amin

Amin

• 703 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 14:33

what happened to Plato in the second race? Saw it happen but haven't heard why

Puncture.

#36 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,249 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 16:20

Something tells me we won't be seeing any of the reverse-grid beneficiaries do the draw again any time soon...

Right on cue: BTCC changes grid draw procedure after Austin Brands controversy.

#37 froggy22

froggy22

• 807 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 18:46

Think we need to wait for the next race to see if the new ballast rule work or not, but first impressions tell me that its gone too far now, Collard was completely defenceless in the 2nd race. Brands Hatch Indy is a very atypical track on the calendar so it may be different come Donington.

#38 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,816 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 19:08

after that, i wonder who will be dipping thier hand in the pot to decide who gets pole for race 3 for the next weekend of BTCC action?

#39 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 19:15

Arnold Schwarzenegger?

Advertisement

#40 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 19:24

Big UP to ITV4 who have put the whole 6 hours and 43 minutes Sunday coverage onto i-player!  Compared to last year when we had to wait till the next weekend to even get the highlights, this is a major improvement.  Hope it isn't just a one-off.

And great to see Collard pere et fils winning races.  

Edited by BRG, 06 April 2015 - 19:24.

#41 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,807 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 21:00

Really enjoyed the BTCC races.Plato's puncture when he had a 4 second lead with 57 kilos of ballast :-(

#42 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,266 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 22:08

really enjoyed yesterdays racing, race 2 with the drag between Shedden and Priaulx to the flag shows how exciting close racing really can be.

Im not a Plato fan so will admit to a chuckle when he ended up in the gravel:)

TypeR looks good, so does the BMR Passat. Goff has his chance this year and comes out of it sharing the lead with Matt Neal who many here wrote off. Gonna be a classic.

#43 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,143 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 23:19

That race 2 finish was the tits. Priaulx, you beauty.

About the new ballast rules, yeah, I'll wait for a couple of rounds before I get too critical. That Austin / Gow bit was funny as hell though.

Big up to Collard for that first race win.

#44 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 23:28

Can anyone see much difference between the new Type R and the old one? I haven't looked too closely but they seem virtually identical to me.

#45 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,143 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 23:34

Can anyone see much difference between the new Type R and the old one? I haven't looked too closely but they seem virtually identical to me.

It just looks even more bland to me than the old one.

Yeah, I am not much of a Honda fan. And last year's tourer just straight up confused me.

#46 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 23:36

Then they ought to get that all the rubbish off the grid if they want to create a more authentic racing series that would attract more money and fans making it a big championship. It's no wonder the DTM has evolved to a higher level. Look at drivers like Dan Cammish struggling to get drives with his talent. I watch and follow no end of motorsports series' perhaps I have now finally worked out why I don't watch the BTCC.

#47 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:42

The BTCC lives off that kind of accessibility. Having those amateurs and family run teams gives the series it's own identity for a top-level championship. Turning it into a DTM clone would just drive costs up and it would be a repeat of the Super Touring crash.

I'd say that if touring car racing is your goal, DTM is about the furthest you could get from authentic touring car racing. It's just a demo series for 3 manufacturers.

#48 ninetyzero

ninetyzero

• 706 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:32

Then they ought to get that all the rubbish off the grid if they want to create a more authentic racing series that would attract more money and fans making it a big championship. It's no wonder the DTM has evolved to a higher level. Look at drivers like Dan Cammish struggling to get drives with his talent. I watch and follow no end of motorsports series' perhaps I have now finally worked out why I don't watch the BTCC.

Couldn't agree more. I used to love this championship but it's fallen a long way since the 90's. It was much better back in my day etcetera etcetera bah blah...

The BTCC lives off that kind of accessibility. Having those amateurs and family run teams gives the series it's own identity for a top-level championship. Turning it into a DTM clone would just drive costs up and it would be a repeat of the Super Touring crash.

I'd say that if touring car racing is your goal, DTM is about the furthest you could get from authentic touring car racing. It's just a demo series for 3 manufacturers.

Nonsense. Once upon a time it was a world class championship with world class drivers, teams and manufacturers, but now it's mostly just amateurs; they are so obsessed with grid sizes that they don't care about the quality of the grid. DTM is a high profile international championship in the way that BTCC used to be but can now only dream of.

Edited by ninetyzero, 07 April 2015 - 08:33.

#49 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:11

Nonsense. Once upon a time it was a world class championship with world class drivers, teams and manufacturers, but now it's mostly just amateurs; they are so obsessed with grid sizes that they don't care about the quality of the grid. DTM is a high profile international championship in the way that BTCC used to be but can now only dream of.

The thing is, the current BTCC is a very good quality product. It's incredibly shallow to see it only in terms of "big names". There's more variety in cars and great racing with good drivers. DTM is just a showcase for German manufacturers to race expensive silhouettes. It might be high profile internationally, but it's not fun touring car racing.

What BTCC was in the Super Touring era was a bit of a flash in the pan, and totally unsustainable.

#50 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:01

How is it that BMR can run so many cars with, apparently, little or no sponsorship?

I would like to see some better drivers in BTCC - why Paul Rivett for example is still in Clios and has never bee given a chance in BTCC mystifies me, unless he simply isn't interested.  But the comparison with DTM isn't fair.  DTM has it's share of journeymen too.