- - - - -

TV vs Circuit Viewing?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 V666

V666

• 70 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 21:30

To the fans out there who have watched a Grand Prix live which do you prefer? I watched the Silverstone GP in 2010, I was in awe of the speed and especially the noise. Thing is though come race day I was irritated at the lack of information I'd be getting whilst watching on TV, in my case all I was interested in is what the leaders were doing so wasn't taking notice of the cars passing me. IMO watching a race on TV is better, I think watching practice trackside is about as far as I'd go in the future.

Advertisement

#2 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,589 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 21:34

I loved the noise and atmosphere of watching it live (yes, this was going back a bit) but couldn't wait to get home to find out what had happened.

#3 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,034 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 21:41

I went to Silverstone in 2012 and it was an amazing experience, and I'm glad I went, however it's not something I would do again. I much preferred watching on TV. The only race I want to go to in the future is Spa and Monaco if I can afford it.

#4 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 21:47

They really need to bring back fanvision/kangaroo. That said, get near a big screen if possible, but essentially have a radio commentary in your ear. Been to grands prix a few times now, way too expensive of course but if I could afford it I would watch as much of it in the flesh as possible. Each time I've been convinced it is the only way to follow f1.

#5 Lemans

Lemans

• 2,739 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 21:48

I much prefer going to the track over watching on TV. I live in Canada so I go to the race in Montreal as often as possible and it's always a great experience. The nature of the Circuit Gilles allows you to be very close to the track. You get Monza-like speeds with Monaco-like proximity. A fantastic, and rare combination. Although I sometimes fear it's days' are numbered because of it.

#6 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 21:51

I loved the noise and atmosphere of watching it live (yes, this was going back a bit) but couldn't wait to get home to find out what had happened.

This here...

For actually knowing what's happening during the race and seeing the entire track (unless you're prepared to walk a great deal, like me), you're much better off watching on TV. For ann appreciation of the spectacle, sights, sounds, smells, etc, of course you have to be at the track.

#7 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 22:02

I always prefer the live experience, been to about 75 events worldwide in the last few years and have far more memorable moments from these than anything I have seen on TV.

A rainy race is fun to watch on TV, but incredible to attend for real...

15271299559_8c7e0403fd_c.jpg

Plus most circuits have FM radio now so you can get a radio commentary even when you can't hear the speakers over the cars.

#8 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 22:05

I love watching the cars live - however I tend to prefer going to testing as you get the whole day to watch and can usually get to see the entire circuit (Silverstone excluded as they only seem to open part of it :( )

I tend not to bother with race day as much - I have been to Silverstone the past few years but only on Friday, as others have said following a race at the circuit is very difficult without being glued to a screen, which rather defeats the point of watching it live - I can see the cars on Friday, take pictures and get to a few different spots for much cheaper than a grandstand race-day ticket so that's kind of enough for me, and then watch and enjoy the race from my sofa on Sunday. (I'm trying that with Monaco this year - no way could I afford Sunday tickets but Thursday to Saturday is very doable - and I will still be home in time for race start :up:

The only way I found a race worth the extra over Fridays and testing is if I can sit on the pit-straight and get all the pre and post race action ofn the grid and podium but tickets at most circuits for those seats are way more than I am prepared to pay.

#9 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 22:11

I was lucky enough to be taken to the British GP in 1993 as my first ever visit to any kind of race track. I was 11, and at that age you really do take everything in. When I think back to it I can still remember the incredible sights, sounds and smells. The cars were running quite exotic fuels in 1993, they still had big fat slicks, and some featured V12 Ferrari and Lamborghini engines. A couple of years later I got to go again, and we did the pitwalk. Although most of the teams had barriers up and had their cars half hidden in the garages, as I recall, Pacific were less worried about anybody pinching any of their ideas than the others, and they were quite happy to let people walk all around their car and even touch bits of it.

Prior to going to a race live, I used to watch the races on television occasionally, but wouldn't be bothered if I missed them or check to see what time they were on or anything like that. After I'd been to a race, I watched every televised session religiously, used to steal my brother's copy of Autosport so I could read more about the cars and drivers, and then later, when my brother left home, I used to buy my own copies. I also took up karting for a bit, though not at any serious level. None of that would have happened if I hadn't been to see, hear and smell the cars up close.

I do agree that following the race is perhaps easier at home, although these days you can go to the British GP and have live timing on one device, and the BBC live stream on another - basically you can follow what's happening wherever you happen to be if you want to. Many sports car events have free global live streams as well. I go to several live races a year these days, mostly endurance races, and rarely have a problem following the action - I do myself a rudimentary spotter's guide before I travel, and I make sure I've got mobile internet (if abroad I either buy a data bundle for my UK SIM or get a free SIM locally and buy a data bundle for that) so that I can at least get live timing, and where applicable live radio le mans commentary and/or pictures.

Edited by redreni, 01 April 2015 - 22:15.

#10 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 22:16

I love watching the cars live - however I tend to prefer going to testing as you get the whole day to watch and can usually get to see the entire circuit (Silverstone excluded as they only seem to open part of it :( )

I tend not to bother with race day as much - I have been to Silverstone the past few years but only on Friday, as others have said following a race at the circuit is very difficult without being glued to a screen, which rather defeats the point of watching it live - I can see the cars on Friday, take pictures and get to a few different spots for much cheaper than a grandstand race-day ticket so that's kind of enough for me, and then watch and enjoy the race from my sofa on Sunday. (I'm trying that with Monaco this year - no way could I afford Sunday tickets but Thursday to Saturday is very doable - and I will still be home in time for race start :up:

The only way I found a race worth the extra over Fridays and testing is if I can sit on the pit-straight and get all the pre and post race action ofn the grid and podium but tickets at most circuits for those seats are way more than I am prepared to pay.

This is kinda where I'm getting to now as well. Race day is not nearly as good of a deal financially or for other reasons (crowd, ingress/egress, etc) as Friday and Saturday are.

#11 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 22:20

I was lucky enough to be taken to the British GP in 1993 as my first ever visit to any kind of race track. I was 11, and at that age you really do take everything in. When I think back to it I can still remember the incredible sights, sounds and smells. The cars were running quite exotic fuels in 1993, they still had big fat slicks, and some featured V12 Ferrari and Lamborghini engines. A couple of years later I got to go again, and we did the pitwalk. Although most of the teams had barriers up and had their cars half hidden in the garages, as I recall, Pacific were less worried about anybody pinching any of their ideas than the others, and they were quite happy to let people walk all around their car and even touch bits of it.

Prior to going to a race live, I used to watch the races on television occasionally, but wouldn't be bothered if I missed them or check to see what time they were on or anything like that. After I'd been to a race, I watched every televised session religiously, used to steal my brother's copy of Autosport so I could read more about the cars and drivers, and then later, when my brother left home, I used to buy my own copies. I also took up karting for a bit, though not at any serious level. None of that would have happened if I hadn't been to see, hear and smell the cars up close.

I do agree that following the race is perhaps easier at home, although these days you can go to the British GP and have live timing on one device, and the BBC live stream on another - basically you can follow what's happening wherever you happen to be if you want to. Many sports car events have free global live streams as well. I go to several live races a year these days, mostly endurance races, and rarely have a problem following the action - I do myself a rudimentary spotter's guide before I travel, and I make sure I've got mobile internet (if abroad I either buy a data bundle for my UK SIM or get a free SIM locally and buy a data bundle for that) so that I can at least get live timing, and where applicable live radio le mans commentary and/or pictures.

Yes I agree that for the most part, lifelong fans are created at the circuit, where the fan is enveloped by the sights, sounds, personalities, and just the general atmosphere. This is a major part of why I believe the sound and look of the cars is almost as important as the action on the track. Maybe more important. We're people. Even the most logical among us generally feels more than we think.

Edited by AustinF1, 01 April 2015 - 22:20.

#12 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 22:26

In the past I would definitely have voted for being there. The cars were always more exciting to watch live, TV just didn't capture the acceleration and deceleration and sheer speed. However with the new engine regs that excitement has gone. They don't attack the corners as they did in the past and instead cruise in from quite a long way out for fuel saving\battery charging. The lack of noise I could take, but for myself and those I used to go to Silverstone with, we found the cars unexciting to watch. When watching on TV this isn't really obvious, so they have managed to do what I thought would be impossible and made F1 better to watch on TV thatn live. This year will be the first GP I won't attend in over 10 years.

#13 Amin

Amin

• 700 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 22:31

Sitting at Pouhon last year, I had the best of both. I'm not sure I could watch a live F1 race without a big screen in front of me. I don't mind watching shorter races without live coverage, BTCC was pretty easy to follow, as was it's support races. I tend to lose track of races that require pit stops though. I remember watching an Auto GP race at Donington a couple of years ago and not having a clue who had won until I'd got home.  

#14 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 22:31

I massively enjoyed the 2 Grand Prix I've been to so far (2009 and 2012 British Grand Prix), but I do think that there are better live experiences to be had within motorsport, mainly because of the restriction of what you can do and see at a Grand Prix.

The most enjoyable experience I've had is going to the 6 Hours of Silverstone the last two years (and again in just over a week!). You have essentially free reign to explore Silverstone and experience the race from whatever vantage point you feel like at that time. Of course it's because the crowds are smaller and Bernie doesn't have the sword of Damacles hanging over the event, but there's something to enjoy standing along the Hangar Straight with just a few other people whilst the finest LMP cars fly past you close to 200mph, or then heading round to Copse to watch them chuck it in at ridiculous speeds. The sheer amount of people and restrictions on where you can sit and stand at a Grand Prix dampen that somewhat.

So really I would say I prefer to watch a Grand Prix on TV rather than live. Going to a race is a special occasion and there are still races I want to go to (Spa, Monaco and Monza), but as I've spent over 20 years watching them on TV I've grown accustomed to it!

Going to testing in Jerez was a great experience, although they used to open up the whole circuit to explore (mainly when Alonso was driving) but in recent years the attendees are restricted to particular sections.

#15 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 22:32

In the past I would definitely have voted for being there. The cars were always more exciting to watch live, TV just didn't capture the acceleration and deceleration and sheer speed. However with the new engine regs that excitement has gone. They don't attack the corners as they did in the past and instead cruise in from quite a long way out for fuel saving\battery charging. The lack of noise I could take, but for myself and those I used to go to Silverstone with, we found the cars unexciting to watch. When watching on TV this isn't really obvious, so they have managed to do what I thought would be impossible and made F1 better to watch on TV thatn live. This year will be the first GP I won't attend in over 10 years.

Exactly. Watching at COTA this year it was stunning how boring and "neutered" the cars sound. Yes, I'm aware of their performance capabilities and technical complexity, and how I'm now able to hear the screeching tires and hold normal conversations as they pass by. I don't care. You don't feel these cars or their power. They just aren't as entertaining & don't seem as impressive. 

#16 6string

6string

• 294 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 23:04

In my experience, if I could I would be at the circuit for practice, qualifying, and at the start/finish line for race start, then teleport myself into my loungeroom for the remainder of the race.

#17 tifosi

tifosi

• 22,610 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 23:25

I loved going to the Canadian Grand Prix for several years.  The atmosphere is simply phenomenal.

That being said to really watch the race it's much better on TV.

I find the same to be true with horse racing, which is a passion of mine.  I still go to a few races a year, but in general I much prefer to watch the races on TV where I can comfortably go though my charts.

#18 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 35,982 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 23:37

Being at track beats TV hands down, I would be at every Grand Prix if fiscal resources allowed. Yes good seats with big screen helps, but even without it is THE way to see any autorace.

:cool:

#19 InvertedLift

InvertedLift

• 272 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 00:31

I think the ideal combination previously was go on Friday, TV for Sat/Sun. On the Friday you got to see how crazily fast the things are (and tbh the Safety/Medical cars which are insane) and experience the unreal noise, when you could hear them fire up in the pits from the other side of the track (Albert Park).

After having gone this year I think the ideal combination is Fri-Sun: TV. I won't be going again unless some miracle with the engines regs occurs.

Advertisement

#20 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:40

IMO they are completely different experiences. You can not follow the actual racing as closely as on TV, but being there is an experience that overwhelms the senses and emotions. I have lost track of the many race weekends when we used to load up Thursday afternoon, get to the track, set up, and wander around for four days, drinking copious amounts of beer and having all kinds of adventures.

All racing as a fan or participant is fueled by the emotions, and we need to keep in touch with them.

#21 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,497 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:44

I've watched the Paasraces (Easter) races live at Zandvoort a few years in a row, but I find them hard to follow. You only see so much of the track and running from one side (straight) to the other side of the paddock roof (corner section after Tarzan) gets tiring. :p

Atmosphere: track

Actually follow a race: TV

#22 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:56

I've been to Spa, Barcelona and Singapore and always prefer to watch it live at the track, especially as there are big screens showing the TV broadcast in most areas. I've never been out of the loop, not knowing what was going on when I've been at a circuit. Add that to the atmosphere and the fun of being at the circuit generally, it is a much better experience in my opinion.

#23 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,303 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:20

Circuit viewing for me, no doubt about it. 

With giant screens and fm radio, you have all you need to follow everything.

#24 Peat

Peat

• 8,799 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:33

Some and some. You've got to go and experience it, but it's alot easier to properly follow a race at home with audible commentary and live timing / twitter etc. 

#25 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,303 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:00

With the mobile web, you can have pretty much the same trackside.

#26 f1fan1998

f1fan1998

• 293 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:25

I've been to just under 40 Grand Prix so far and I much prefer the track. It's not just the atmosphere of the racing bits, it's all the other elements like the buzz and excitement of getting there, the buzz of the fans early in the morning each day. The first time you hear a car fire up. I am more privileged than most and when I am there will have a paddock pass. One of my favourite experiences is sitting in the McLaren motorhome while their lovely girls serve me lunch and desert, just as the formation lap is starting. You then get a surround sound as I am watching it on the big screens in there while I can hear the cars on track. 

From a fans perspective, I have always been able to follow a race quite well and can always understand give or take who is where at any given lap. That being said, I wish Mr E hadn't priced Kangaroo TV / Fanvision out of their license. That was a bloody great tool for race viewing. 

A picture from Hungary last year. 

mcalrenmotohome.jpg

Edited by f1fan1998, 02 April 2015 - 09:26.

#27 SB

SB

• 2,427 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:28

I've been to Spa, Barcelona and Singapore and always prefer to watch it live at the track, especially as there are big screens showing the TV broadcast in most areas. I've never been out of the loop, not knowing what was going on when I've been at a circuit. Add that to the atmosphere and the fun of being at the circuit generally, it is a much better experience in my opinion.

Just curious, which stand you stayed for Singapore GP ? 

I'm planning to watch it this year (ammm ... or may be next year) and therefore wonder where should I sit.  :yawnface:

#28 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:51

Being at the track for the noise, smell and the general atmosphere is a vastly different experience to anything on TV, but then this is true of any event not just motorsport.  I've always enjoyed sportscar racing more than single seaters and the variety of engine sounds particularly from the old Group C cars in their heyday was marvellous as it was going back a good while in F1, but with most modern endurance races I've attended such as the Tourist Trophy at Silverstone as much as I enjoy the day out, like EB says, you only really find out what actually happened when you see the TV footage.  Less true of touring cars etc as you have a better chance of hearing the PA system and the races don't end up so strung out.

#29 SteF1an

SteF1an

• 893 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:01

I love watching F1 / MotoGP live. 

Monaco 2000 or Hockenheim 2001 with epic V10 engine sound.  :drunk:  :up:  :love:

#30 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,254 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:22

I much prefer going to the track over watching on TV. I live in Canada so I go to the race in Montreal as often as possible and it's always a great experience. The nature of the Circuit Gilles allows you to be very close to the track. You get Monza-like speeds with Monaco-like proximity. A fantastic, and rare combination. Although I sometimes fear it's days' are numbered because of it.

Lemans, I am trying to create some opportunity to attend the race this year, can you give some tips to make the best of attending the Canadian GP?   Since you have been to the race many times, I though I would ask.  Thanks!

#31 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:50

To the fans out there who have watched a Grand Prix live which do you prefer? I watched the Silverstone GP in 2010, I was in awe of the speed and especially the noise. Thing is though come race day I was irritated at the lack of information I'd be getting whilst watching on TV, in my case all I was interested in is what the leaders were doing so wasn't taking notice of the cars passing me. IMO watching a race on TV is better, I think watching practice trackside is about as far as I'd go in the future.

Same here.

To follow the race, TV + Live timing wins hands down for me.

The track I find only interesting for seeing and hearing the cars, drivers.

My ideal race weekend is therefore to attend Friday sessions at the track and watch the race at home.

#32 Jerem

Jerem

• 2,164 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:11

What you get on track is getting a general impression on how the cars behave, the subtle differences between drivers, the noises... what I find most impressive is being at the end of a straight, not too close but with a good view along the braking area. You can really feel how powerful these brakes are, how the cars literally stop.

Generally, TV erases the most animal feelings about it... it looks more like a video game, but at tracks you can feel the tyres pushing the car forward on the tarmac, you really see why they call it 'motorsports'.

So you don't get all the timings, it's more difficult to follow, and the race is gone so quickly... the same is true of anything happening before your eyes, there's no replay so if you miss the crash or overtake, well that's it.

I'd go to the race track any day, but you really need to have a big screen showing everything, at least what is happening at other parts of the track and timings, so you can follow the race.

#33 Graveltrappen

Graveltrappen

• 1,261 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 13:18

Up until 2013 I had watched F1 for 20+ years and managed to do so without actually going to the Grand Prix. Despite this, I (personally) would still class myself as a "hardcore f1 fan" and knowledgable on all aspects.

In 2013 I drove from Edinburgh to Dover, jumped on a ferry and drove to Spa for the Belgian Grand Prix. I was extremely excited and enthusiastic about this trip, to have finally made the time and effort to go to a race, and Spa of all places!!

The noise was what hit me first, and I have to say I was very impressed by that. I also enjoyed walking the perimeter of the track and finding a 'good spot' to watch from down at Pouhon. However, on race day we decided we MUST find a spot with a TV screen to be able to fully enjoy the experience. I certainly had a good time, however whilst driving back to Calais for the ferry home, myself and my travelling partner were weighing up if it had all been worth the trip. I certainly enjoy sitting in front of my own telly watching f1 and felt I could follow it all a lot better than by actually being at the track.

Everybody waxes lyrical about Spa, and yes it's certainly fantastic to watch on the TV, but in person it's probably the least value for money of them all! The lap is so long that during the race the cars only come by 44 times each.... Whereas if you went to Austria you'd get them each past over 70 times. Also at spa, because of the length of the lap, they don't even do a 'celebration' or cool down lap after the race... They turn round at Turn 1 and head back up the pits.

Factor in £6 for a tin of coke, £9 for some fries and hotdog .... £300 for a jacket in the 'fan zone' (read 'rich fans only zone') and I was left quite underwhelmed by my experience.

I do think a track like Austria where with the right vantage point you can almost see the entire track would be a superb venue to visit. Spa is often heralded as being a supreme venue, but I wouldn't recommend it personally as being anywhere near value for money... Which as a Yorkshireman I'm very passionate about!!

#34 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,681 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 13:59

Lemans, I am trying to create some opportunity to attend the race this year, can you give some tips to make the best of attending the Canadian GP?   Since you have been to the race many times, I though I would ask.  Thanks!

I've been to the Canadian GP each year since '99. I'm actually most likely not going this year, the cars just no longer excite me in person with the new engine regulations. Like others mentioned, the cars used to have a presence. I still clearly remember this shrieking whistle of the '01 or '02 Cosworth-engined Jaguar coming into view at the hairpin (I sit in a grandstand at the exit of the corner), and then this thumping bass/crackling as the cars went down 5-6 gears in a couple of seconds. You heard every throttle input and felt every shift, and you could follow them all the way around the track if there weren't any other cars out. It gave you goosebumps. Now they're only audible when they're in view, and they do coast into the corner during the race/have an annoying turbo/hybrid system whistle (particularly the Renault last year). They may lap as quickly as the cars from the late '90s but they lack the sense of speed that made those cars so exciting.

All that said, if you do go to the race... I always stay in the old town part of the city in a great hotel behind the Notre Dame cathedral. It's an easy walk to the metro which connects to the track, and there are a numbre of great restaurants in that part of the city. I've run into just about every driver in the 16 years I've been staying there (in the past 5 years I've said hello to Jenson, Sir Jackie, Damon Hill, Herbert, Webber, ect.) as they tend to either stay in or go out in the old part of the city. Take the metro to the track, but make sure you go early and particularly on Sunday make sure you find a nice place to sit on the island after the race for at least 2 hours before trying to go to the metro station, it's a choke point and the crowd is insane when everyone leaves at the same time. I tend to nap somewhere near the support paddock at the end of the island, which is open to the public. If the historic GP cars are there as a support race, make sure you go to that paddock behind the hairpin as you can get up close with the cars/owners.

Avoid general admission tickets. The sightlines are terrible because of advertising signs/trees, and on raceday all the spots fill up before 11 AM. My grandstand at the hairpin is nice (24), but there are probably better views that cost more at the first corner. Also bring your own food/beer in a cooler. It's allowed and the options at the track are waaaayyyy too expensive (~$8 Canadian for a bud light). There are plenty of pleasant spots near the waterways in the infield to have lunch under a tree, and that's where all the vendor stands are with their overpriced t-shirts and hats. If you want to buy swag, avoid doing so on the island. There are places downtown that sell F1 paraphenilia for less. PM me if you have any more specific questions, it's a great city and I hope the new engines don't ruin your experience.

#35 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 14:06

With the mobile web, you can have pretty much the same trackside.

I have yet to find a rural circuit with good mobile signal, let alone enough data for a TV stream!

#36 uffen

uffen

• 1,892 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 14:24

Live is the only way. TV robs you of the speed and the noise and the anticipation and reaction of the crowd. Plus you get to see every car on every lap.

Do without the (mostly) useless info you get on TV and be in the moment!

#37 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 14:37

When I go to races I will often do Friday or Saturday(or both) and watch the race on TV at home. Unless I'm with people who are first timers, in which case it's fun to sit with them and experience it as they do. Plus they need your help explaining things.

"So the guy who spun out, that's the one who just pitted for tires under yellow?"
"Yes, but he's an idiot"

This will make me sound really cynical, and it's a bit of a humblebrag, but I went to an F1 race once and did Friday paddock pass, Saturday grandstand, Sunday TV. That was pretty fun. And trust me the paddock is really boring(though it's probably lively on race day).

#38 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,254 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 14:52

Thanks for the overview and tips Dan! :up:   I am very curious about the sound of turbos as well, (non-TV) live sound that is.   

#39 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,681 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 15:15

Thanks for the overview and tips Dan! :up:   I am very curious about the sound of turbos as well, (non-TV) live sound that is.   

No problem, if you do go try to have dinner at Auberge Bonaparte. That's where I stay and the attached restaurant is probably my favorite in the city. I'm sure there are others as good or better but it's got a very European feel to it and it's where I had the pleasure of sitting at a table adjacent to Jackie Stewart a few years ago. Also, if the historic cars are there you'll still get your fix of auditory-induced goosebumps. The BRM V12 last year... when it was running cleanly, it was splendid.

Advertisement

#40 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 16:46

I've been to the Canadian GP each year since '99. I'm actually most likely not going this year, the cars just no longer excite me in person with the new engine regulations. Like others mentioned, the cars used to have a presence. I still clearly remember this shrieking whistle of the '01 or '02 Cosworth-engined Jaguar coming into view at the hairpin (I sit in a grandstand at the exit of the corner), and then this thumping bass/crackling as the cars went down 5-6 gears in a couple of seconds. You heard every throttle input and felt every shift, and you could follow them all the way around the track if there weren't any other cars out. It gave you goosebumps. Now they're only audible when they're in view, and they do coast into the corner during the race/have an annoying turbo/hybrid system whistle (particularly the Renault last year). They may lap as quickly as the cars from the late '90s but they lack the sense of speed that made those cars so exciting.

All that said, if you do go to the race... I always stay in the old town part of the city in a great hotel behind the Notre Dame cathedral. It's an easy walk to the metro which connects to the track, and there are a numbre of great restaurants in that part of the city. I've run into just about every driver in the 16 years I've been staying there (in the past 5 years I've said hello to Jenson, Sir Jackie, Damon Hill, Herbert, Webber, ect.) as they tend to either stay in or go out in the old part of the city. Take the metro to the track, but make sure you go early and particularly on Sunday make sure you find a nice place to sit on the island after the race for at least 2 hours before trying to go to the metro station, it's a choke point and the crowd is insane when everyone leaves at the same time. I tend to nap somewhere near the support paddock at the end of the island, which is open to the public. If the historic GP cars are there as a support race, make sure you go to that paddock behind the hairpin as you can get up close with the cars/owners.

Avoid general admission tickets. The sightlines are terrible because of advertising signs/trees, and on raceday all the spots fill up before 11 AM. My grandstand at the hairpin is nice (24), but there are probably better views that cost more at the first corner. Also bring your own food/beer in a cooler. It's allowed and the options at the track are waaaayyyy too expensive (~$8 Canadian for a bud light). There are plenty of pleasant spots near the waterways in the infield to have lunch under a tree, and that's where all the vendor stands are with their overpriced t-shirts and hats. If you want to buy swag, avoid doing so on the island. There are places downtown that sell F1 paraphenilia for less. PM me if you have any more specific questions, it's a great city and I hope the new engines don't ruin your experience.

All of this. Spot on.

Re: the sound of the cars braking and downshifting into the hairpin, it truly is was amazing. Here's a video I shot in 2010 at the GP just after I had walked in, just across from where my seats were. This was my first attendance at a GP weekend, and the sound and feel of the cars was just awe-inspiring. I was utterly and irrevocably hooked from then on. Works best with headphones. BTW, look at the acceleration out of the hairpin. Just unreal.

Here's another from when I was walking across the river and FP3 was just starting, just minutes before the video above. Apologies for the poor quality from that crappy old Panasonic camera, and for my goofiness in the narration, I couldn't hear myself speaking too well. But you get the idea. Still gives me goosebumps today, as it was the first time I ever heard F1 cars run in person. It was truly a moment I'll never forget. It amazes me that some can discount this aspect so easily.

Flash forward to the 2014 GP at COTA, and now you can't even really hear the cars coming until they're right on you. You certainly can't feel them in your chest and even though they're very quick, they just don't give even nearly the same impression of raw, jaw-dropping acceleration and braking that they used to.

Edited by AustinF1, 02 April 2015 - 17:19.

#41 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 16:47

I have yet to find a rural circuit with good mobile signal, let alone enough data for a TV stream!

Yeah, my experiences at COTA have been pretty bad in regard to mobile signals.

#42 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 16:50

When I go to races I will often do Friday or Saturday(or both) and watch the race on TV at home. Unless I'm with people who are first timers, in which case it's fun to sit with them and experience it as they do. Plus they need your help explaining things.

"So the guy who spun out, that's the one who just pitted for tires under yellow?"
"Yes, but he's an idiot"

This will make me sound really cynical, and it's a bit of a humblebrag, but I went to an F1 race once and did Friday paddock pass, Saturday grandstand, Sunday TV. That was pretty fun. And trust me the paddock is really boring(though it's probably lively on race day).

The action in the paddock picks up steadily as the weekend progresses. It really gets going around Qualifying, before and after. 

I actually love the paddock atmosphere.

#43 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,681 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 17:05

All of this. Spot on.

Re: the sound of the cars braking and downshifting into the hairpin, it truly is was amazing. Here's a video I shot in 2010 at the GP just after I had walked in, just across from where my seats were. This was my first attendance at a GP weekend, and the sound and feel of the cars was just awe-inspiring. I was utterly and irrevocably hooked from then on. Works best with headphones. BTW, look at the acceleration out of the hairpin. Just unreal.

Here's another from when I was walking across the river and FP3 was just starting, just minutes before the video above. Apologies for the poor quality from that crappy old Panasonic camera, and for my goofiness in the narration, I couldn't hear myself speaking too well. But you get the idea. Still gives me goosebumps today, as it was the first time I ever heard F1 cars run in person. It was truly a moment I'll never forget. It amazes me that some can discount this aspect so easily.

Flash forward to the 2014 GP at COTA, and now you can't even really hear the cars coming until there right on you. You certainly can't feel them in your chest and even though they're very quick, they just don't give even nearly the same impression of raw, jaw-dropping acceleration and braking that they used to.

Crossing that same footbridge on Friday morning used to be the highlight of my summer when I was younger (and even as an "adult"!). When the V10s were running, you could hear them the moment you left the subway station doorway on Ille St Helene. There's this particularly cool reverb you would get with them accelerating towards you as you cross the St. Lawrence, you'd hear the echo of each shift through the trees. I took dozens of videos of that moment but it never sounds the same in playback as it did in person :(

Edit:

This video is taken probably within a row or two of where I sit, I half expected to see myself (an 11 year younger version of me, at least) in this video. It gives an idea of the sightlines at the hairpin and the sound of the V10s, although with the TC they were a little crackly on acceleration.

https://www.youtube....h?v=vVu9tXlpB-M

Edited by Dan333SP, 02 April 2015 - 17:14.

#44 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,597 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 17:11

Had the pleasure of going to the 2008 Canadian Grand Prix. One of my greatest experiences ever. The cars were so loud, that it felt as if the engine sounds were emanating from within my body, rather than from an outside source. The Hondas in particular were PHENOMENALLY loud. 

I generally share the sentiment that watching a race live is an unbelievable experience, that I wish I could do more often. However, if I want to know what's actually happening in the race, I have to watch it on TV.

#45 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,381 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 20:09

I think both ways of watching have pros and cons.  I do prefer watching F1 on TV due to having the 'complete' picture as it were, you are more up to date with what is going on and you see most of what happens.  Replays are also helpful!  

However, I do think that largely once the race is over I forget about it more than I do the overall experience of being at the track.  I was lucky enough to be able to go to Silverstone 3 years in a row (back in the mid 2000s) and to sit pretty much opposite the start/finish line (this was in lieu of a summer holiday) so was able to experience the full force of a full grid revving up for the start of a race, that is something I'll never forget (I didn't use earplugs either).  Also you could feel the force of the engines and of the cars at full speed, literally everything shook and you could feel the cars pushing through the air.  Meeting random people on the coach up to Silverstone was brilliant too, sadly they didn't become life long friends (one person I thought might be but I lost contact) but it was great to have a day chatting to people who have a similar passion to you, something that is lacking all too often in real life (people 'like' F1 but aren't always as passionate as us more fanatical types), also the F1 'market' outside was great to look around whilst seeing presentation stands with mock-up cars was fun.  Another thing, the smell... burning rubber, engines, fuel, it all just adds to the overall day.  And the sunburn.  One year I was lucky enough to win the use of a Kangaroo TV set on Autosport and that really did help with the experience at the venue, being able to follow things more closely.  It was a very valued accessory that day, I actually turned down an offer of £50 from some random guy who wanted the unit!  In hindsight, the £50 would have been better, but it was my prize and I wanted to follow the race.  Made me quite popular with the people around me though.  

#46 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,109 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 20:33

Sat at Woodcote corner in Silverstone 2013. Laptime is ca 90 seconds out of which ca 30 seconds the cars are in your sight. Also the best passing place for F1 cars. Had a clear view of the large TV screen and noise blocking headphones with F1 radio. Understood everything that went on. At the end joined the track invasion and saw Rosberg, Webber and Alonso on podium. Later saw Hill, Herbert, Brundle, Villeneuve, Brawn, Toto, Horner, and even Rosberg up close with the trophy. Had a blast :up: Beats TV any day.

Edited by Dolph, 02 April 2015 - 20:34.

#47 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,681 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 20:34

I agree with you guys on the general difficulty of following the race. I will say that the new engines allow you to hear the track announcers through the PA system more easily, and we can see a big screen from my seat, but it's still challenging to follow race strategy and positions after pitstops.

The poster above mentioned making friends at the track. That's another nice thing about the "live" experience that hasn't changed with the new engines. I've been sitting in the same seat since around 2001, and the Canadian race has such regular fans that we all reserve tickets immediately following the prior year's race and end up in the same place each time. There's a big group of people from Quebec that sit next to me every year. The owner of their company's son raced in Ferrari challenge, and they have a hospitality tent set up in the back paddock. Over the years I've learned all their names and they invite me to their tent for food and beer each year, it's like being part of a racing family. Shame that I won't see them this year, but I'll be back in the future I hope.

#48 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,648 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 23:24

I went to several British GPs as a teenager in the 90s, and I have the opposite view to many on here about following the race. Because every car passes you every lap, I found you get a much better general picture of what's going on in the whole race rather than just what they decide to show you on TV. Also gaps are much easier to intuitively understand when you can see them rather than just see the number of seconds on a screen. Looking at the gaps on screen between all the cars is a lot to take in anyway. And also if you have a screen in front of you, all the better. It's win-win.

We used to get general admission tickets to Silverstone and go very early and queue and then run to get a good position at the front. We were at Copse a few times and Luffield. Both were brilliant. Also at Luffield, the cars were in view for quite a long time. But then we sat in a grandstand in 2000 on the pit straight, and it was a bit rubbish to be honest. Further away and it didn't really feel like you were as much "there".

I was also at Singapore in 2014 in a grandstand. It was supposed to be "turns 1 and 2", but it was basically the end of the pit straight but we couldn't see them coming down the pit straight at all from where we were until they were upon us. So that was a bit disappointing. We were actually quite clode to the track which was good, but the view still wasn't great.

Also, every time I've been to a race, I've watched the recording afterwards, so by doing that you only ever gain. You get two perspectives instead of just the one on TV.

I understand that certain specific incidents can happen on the opposite side of the track, but as for what's generally happening in the race and the relative positions of all cars, trackside is far better.

So at the track definitely, but you need to be in a good place.

Edited by PlatenGlass, 02 April 2015 - 23:25.

#49 oetzi

oetzi

• 6,829 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 23:28

I went to Silverstone in 2012 and it was an amazing experience, and I'm glad I went, however it's not something I would do again. I much preferred watching on TV. The only race I want to go to in the future is Spa and Monaco if I can afford it.

Unless you live round the corner, they're both cheaper weekends than Silverstone.

#50 Currahee

Currahee

• 595 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:09

I've been to Spa 3 times and the only thing that I didn't like was I didn't know the race had finished.

That may or may not have been down to the fact I was drunk.  :lol:

The experience of being at the circuit is tremendous. The noise. The smells. Just everything.

When we were at the French GP in 2007 there was a huge crash in front of us in the GP2 race.

We didn't know how the driver was until later that night at the campsite. So there are drawbacks.