FIA WEC: No More 'Grid Girls':

reut.rs/1FmEcmg

This gives me a sad.

Advertisement

#2 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,504 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 20:19

I agree with Anthony Davidson. A couple years back they had a girl stand next to the winning driver in Indycar whilst he was beeing interviewed. That looked pretty weird.

#3 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 20:30

That's another 30-odd jobs down the drain!

But if the WEC is afraid that having grid girls will reflect negatively on the image it wants to portray, then fair play to them. It's their business, after all.

#4 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 20:32

About time, to be honest.

#5 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 21:27

That's another 30-odd jobs down the drain!

But if the WEC is afraid that having grid girls will reflect negatively on the image it wants to portray, then fair play to them. It's their business, after all.

Who said anything about being afraid of anything? Surely this change reflects a positive change for both sexes.

Modern men don't need sexy women to stand around to draw them into the sport.

#6 ocp

ocp

• 196 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 21:35

I like girls.

#7 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 21:49

I think I've mentioned it before but in STCC they have grid kids in karting gear that hold the signs before the race, which is something that would suit nicely into WECs sustainable product image.

I would be a fan of that

#8 cokata

cokata

• 1,390 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 21:52

I like girls.

Who doesn't? But there is really no need for grid girls. Just because you like two things doesn't mean that mixing them will make it even better (example: drinking and driving)

#9 tmekt

tmekt

• 1,254 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 22:01

I've always wondered what's the point...you old creeps can't make 1.5 h without wanting to drool over some girl you don't know, will never meet and wouldn't have chance with anyway?

#10 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,597 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 22:04

Eh, it was about time one series called time on them. It doesn't change anything for the sport, and it's pretty easily to quietly do away with them.

Not to mention if the best argument for keeping grid girls is annoying people who don't like it, then that's not really an argument.

#11 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,438 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 22:07

Completely support this.  :clap:  :clap: 

Anthony Davidson said it perfectly in that article 

Edited by Ben1445, 02 April 2015 - 22:09.

#12 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,487 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 22:07

I blame her.

#13 AlexS

AlexS

• 6,496 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 22:31

Not surprisingly the new puritans are in force everywhere. 

That totalitarian mindset would banish gender and colors if it could.

Edited by AlexS, 02 April 2015 - 22:32.

#14 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,438 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 22:38

Not surprisingly the new puritans are in force everywhere. 

That totalitarian mindset would banish gender and colors if it could.

There is absolutely no good reason for having grid girls. 

#15 tomjol

tomjol

• 883 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 22:41

Good.

#16 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,433 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 22:42

Who even cares?

#17 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 23:00

It's all very well if sexism benefits the group you are in, but think about it the other way around. Imagine if instead of grid girls there were large-muscled men, naked from the waist up and squeezed into tiny little leather shorts. There isn't a mix of genders, it's exclusively grid boys from now on. Does it sound appealing to you? Or does it make you feel slightly uncomfortable?

Male or female, we're at the track to watch motorsport. Let's keep it about the racing. We don't need to have people to lust over while we're there.

#18 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 869 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 23:43

Did they ask the grid girls what they think about it? Young girls who plan to or already make a living from looking beautiful might actualy appreciate this kind of job that puts their faces on the TV screens of millions.

#19 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 23:48

Did they ask the grid girls what they think about it? Young girls who plan to or already make a living from looking beautiful might actualy appreciate this kind of job that puts their faces on the TV screens of millions.

Really? Are you serious? Give me the name of a grid girl that got famous for being on TV in the background of a shot for a few seconds...  

Advertisement

#20 tmekt

tmekt

• 1,254 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 23:57

Well I'd certainly hope they were asked for consent before put on the grid, though with Mosley having been in charge you never know I guess.

#21 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 869 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 23:58

Really? Are you serious? Give me the name of a grid girl that got famous for being on TV in the background of a shot for a few seconds...  

Ever heard of a portfolio?

#22 oetzi

oetzi

• 6,829 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 00:00

I agree with Anthony Davidson. A couple years back they had a girl stand next to the winning driver in Indycar whilst he was beeing interviewed. That looked pretty weird.

Only because Ant was looking up at her armpits.

#23 AlexS

AlexS

• 6,496 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 00:01

Aren't they pretty? Aren't they sexy? Don't you like Williams Martini racing painted cars? Did you like horrible cars? Sex only in bed? Are you a Prohibitionist? No augmented boobs unless for "medical" reasons?

The Anglo-Saxon world of XXI Century is paranoid, obnoxious, self centered narcissistic, the axis of Neo-Marxism today is America. Totalitarian Egalitarianism. Your sons and daughters will not have gender, will not tolerate differences will be all "equal" in name of paranoid fairness. Well, like History shows often obviously everyone is equal but some will be more equal than others....

It is the culture that you are building. You will reap what you sow, because the next ones will be even less tolerant than you. And remember millions of Communists were killed by Communists. It is in Totalitarian DNA. Purity.

The next ones like you will want to banish F1, car racing, racing of whatever because the perfect egalitarian world shouldn't have competition. Competition is discriminatory, exploration of inequality, aggression, supremacist, or whatever obnoxious mantra they will invent in their Neo-Marxist perfect world egalitarian quest .  It doesn't have to make sense. They are puritans.

And this is one of their purifying quests.

Edited by AlexS, 03 April 2015 - 00:02.

#24 oetzi

oetzi

• 6,829 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 00:02

There is absolutely no good reason for motor racing.

Fun though.

#25 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 32,280 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 00:03

Take the political analysis to the Paddock Club please. Unless there's evidence that the WEC organisers are totalitarians, this line of discussion is over.

#26 043Max

043Max

• 390 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 00:04

I can't belive this is serious.... Aprils fool for sure.

and if not? they must be fools..... (argh)

#27 Lemans

Lemans

• 2,739 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 00:06

No! It's our job on the internet to be offended on behalf of others. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Edited by Lemans, 03 April 2015 - 00:07.

#28 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,577 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 00:22

I think I've mentioned it before but in STCC they have grid kids in karting gear that hold the signs before the race, which is something that would suit nicely into WECs sustainable product image.

I would be a fan of that

Brilliant idea! :D

#29 Lemans

Lemans

• 2,739 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 00:28

I've always wondered what's the point...you old creeps can't make 1.5 h without wanting to drool over some girl you don't know, will never meet and wouldn't have chance with anyway?

That kind of generalization is hurtful! How do you know we're all old? It would be like me saying all Grid Girls are stupid and only good for one thing.

:D

#30 oetzi

oetzi

• 6,829 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 00:41

Well I'd certainly hope they were asked for consent before put on the grid, though with Mosley having been in charge you never know I guess.

Whatever his faults, Max generally preferred the girls to be in charge.

#31 tmekt

tmekt

• 1,254 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 00:47

That kind of generalization is hurtful! How do you know we're all old? It would be like me saying all Grid Girls are stupid and only good for one thing.
:D

Almost as hurtful as assuming we're all straight.

#32 oetzi

oetzi

• 6,829 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 00:49

Hurtful to whom?

#33 icecream

icecream

• 816 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 00:52

Hope F1 follows suit.  Looks so ridiculously dated.. especially the cringeworthy part where the podium drivers walk through a guard of clapping grid girls after the race.

#34 tmekt

tmekt

• 1,254 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 00:59

Hurtful to whom?

:confused:

Not sure what you're asking.

Edited by tmekt, 03 April 2015 - 00:59.

#35 loki

loki

• 12,852 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:17

Rumor has it that WEC is going to have a female only series and that the gird girls will appear there as drivers.

They're just trying to keep one step ahead of Ecclestone...

#36 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:32

Take the political analysis to the Paddock Club please. Unless there's evidence that the WEC organisers are totalitarians, this line of discussion is over.

so what's the "sporting" discussion about then?

Responding to your first sentence .... not the inane first clause in your second sentence.

Edited by jjcale, 03 April 2015 - 01:57.

#37 danmills

danmills

• 3,294 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:33

Really? Are YOU serious?
How about Katie Price.
Or Melinda Messenger.

jordan_girls.jpg

Edited by danmills, 03 April 2015 - 01:36.

#38 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:37

This sport is trying to kill itself.... message to the dumbasses who run it: stop pissing off your core audience!  ........ there are 100 of us who will silently turn off for every feminazi and useful idiot who will applaud your political correctness. 

Same applies to the stupid green conservation agenda .... its motor racing, by definition it cannot be "green" 

#39 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 6,147 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:54

I find it weird in this day and age to have people working as breathing dolls.  They frankly make the sport look dated much more than they make it look sexist or chauvinistic.

Advertisement

#40 rpn453

rpn453

• 74 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:55

It's all very well if sexism benefits the group you are in, but think about it the other way around. Imagine if instead of grid girls there were large-muscled men, naked from the waist up and squeezed into tiny little leather shorts. There isn't a mix of genders, it's exclusively grid boys from now on. Does it sound appealing to you? . . .

Of course not.  Nobody wants to see that.  Men like to look at pretty girls, and women like to look at pretty girls too.  If they didn't, their magazines wouldn't be full of them.

But it doesn't bother me if the girls disappear.  I enjoy looking at pretty cars and pretty girls, and most of the girls displayed at the top levels of motosports are quite pleasant to my eyes, but I am watching racing for the cars and drivers regardless.

I am also a fan of mixed martial arts, and that's a sport where I'd like to see the girls disappear.  Not that I don't enjoy viewing some of them, but so many of them are disgustingly artificial and it bothers me that insignificantly small fractions of the money I put toward viewing the sport are paying for their plastic surgery.

#41 teejay

teejay

• 6,148 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:11

I like cars and girls. 

I reckon a very large % of motorsport fans are the same. 

I look forward to WEC using an article some feminist wrote in an obscure news website congratulating them to boost their series exposure to sponsors. 

#42 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 32,280 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:25

This sport is trying to kill itself.... message to the dumbasses who run it: stop pissing off your core audience!  ........ there are 100 of us who will silently turn off for every feminazi and useful idiot who will applaud your political correctness. 

Same applies to the stupid green conservation agenda .... its motor racing, by definition it cannot be "green" 

Here is your own view on LMP1:

No .... its boring

So I take it you weren't watching WEC anyway, grid girls or otherwise. So how important really are grid girls in determining whether you watch a series or not? Doesn't this suggest that your appeal to turn off is rather hollow?

#43 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,321 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:35

Good. Sick of being awkward when I take my girlfriend to race meetings, this stuff should be family friendly. 

#44 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:55

Really? Are YOU serious?
How about Katie Price.
Or Melinda Messenger.

jordan_girls.jpg

Sure, those two models were totally made famous by sitting on a Jordan...not by being on Page 3 of The Sun years before.

And I'm pointing out the obvious here, but they weren't even grid girls.

Edited by johnmhinds, 03 April 2015 - 06:15.

#45 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,487 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:37

Adriana Galisteu and Keiko Ihara.

#46 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,487 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:38

I like cars and girls. 

Any excuse for some Prefab Sprout.

#47 wati

wati

• 1,155 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:43

I heard of a chick that married a 2 time motogp champion. Being a grid girl certainly did her no harm in securing an easy life ...

#48 krea

krea

• 2,349 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:58

Well, was never really interested in grid girls as part of motor racing, so I wouldn't miss them.

But people shouldn't forget that the women aren't some displaced persons who are forced to work as grid girls but that are models who get paid for it and such events are important jobs for them. And in many countries they aren't even "sexy" but wear quite the modest outfits. 

#49 sergey1308

sergey1308

• 116 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:09

I like grid girls, but maybe really the time for changing. :wave: To be honest, I suspect I even will not spot lack of grid girls.

Btw, it's interesting, will we see grid boys in new women championship which Bernie suggested to organise before F1 races. :)

Edited by sergey1308, 03 April 2015 - 07:20.

#50 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,930 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:11

Well, was never really interested in grid girls as part of motor racing, so I wouldn't miss them.

I agree with you  :up: