Photo

Lost GpC Touring Cars.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 22:48

Looking at the pics of cars on Speed Cafe this morning. From this weekends Bathurst event.

Cars are there that I thought were lost in the day. The Bob Jane A9X, The Peter Williamson Supra and the Garry Wilmington XD,, plus an XE painted the same which I cannot remember Garry racing.

The GpA /C racers are supposed to be the original cars. 

There has been ring ins before, the Bernie Stack VB raced a few times,, except it was not! That car the last I saw was a Sports Sedan with a mid mounted Chev living in Canberra.

Maybe some of you know the stories of these cars resurrection. Very apt for the weekend!

Advertisement

#2 DJH

DJH

• 228 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 23:57

I was there spectating in the rain on Saturday . As a spectator it doesn't matter to me  whether they're originals or replicas , great to see them all on track . Certainly more entertaining than V8 Stupid cars,

#3 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 04:10

I was there crewing in the rain on Friday and Saturday and in the gloomy overcast on Sunday. As a gopher, it doesn't matter to me whether they're originals or replicas (however, I have seen very strict controls for all the A/C fields in the past).

The Grp A Peter Williamson Supra has all the required documentation to allow it to compete and the current pilot was quite pleased to have run it at Bathurst once again.

YES! great to see them all on track

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 06 April 2015 - 04:52.

#4 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,666 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:18

Where did the Jane A9X pop up from?

#5 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:45

Where did the Jane A9X pop up from?

My question exactly. My memory had it killed in about 78! The lightweight shelled car.

#6 Bondy

Bondy

• 193 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 23:09

The Torana as far as i am aware is a cool replica. It's run by Scott Taylor and often runs in regularity and the Queensland Touring Car Championship. There are a few cars getting around in old school liveries that run in the QLD Series, including a Gown Hindaugh Torana version. In VIctoria there is a VIC V8 Series and you find some Group A and C looking cars in period liveries. 

#7 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 23:41

The Torana as far as i am aware is a cool replica. It's run by Scott Taylor and often runs in regularity and the Queensland Touring Car Championship. There are a few cars getting around in old school liveries that run in the QLD Series, including a Gown Hindaugh Torana version. In VIctoria there is a VIC V8 Series and you find some Group A and C looking cars in period liveries.

I believe there is also some discussion and concern that replicas may/are being allowed to run with genuine Group A/C cars...

#8 Bondy

Bondy

• 193 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 23:48

I believe there is also some discussion and concern that replicas may/are being allowed to run with genuine Group A/C cars...

The Torana pictured on Speedcafe ran in the Combined Sedans Class. It runs a 5.7 litre. 

#9 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 00:07

The Torana pictured on Speedcafe ran in the Combined Sedans Class. It runs a 5.7 litre. 

I guess that resolves that problem. The GpC cars as I said are supposed to be original cars. Though after many ended up as Sports Sedans I doubt that some have very little originality. Jack up the logbook and reshell and reengineer the cars back to their originality.

The GpA cars that I ran against in the 90s were more original, the owners probably had more of an idea of history then. Nothing modified that could not be bolted back together.

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,242 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:49

Garry Rogers gave that Bob Jane Torana a very substantial hit at Amaroo...

He clobbered the wall side-on at a speed I thought would break his neck!

#11 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,666 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:04

That will never happen.

#12 gouldo

gouldo

• 142 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:49

The Nev Bridges/Sue Ransom CIG Gases VC Commodore from 1980 or 81 Bathurst.  Dale Harvey had a bit too do with this car.  I heard it was converted back to a road car after Bathurst.   Some one, or maybe a wrecking yard, has a bit of history.

#13 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:57

That will never happen.

Rob said confidently...I wish I could be so confident...

Maintaining an original Group A/C is a constant battle...for example...ECU...20 year old electronics is no longer supported, so there is a concession needed for a start (no pun intended).

But the main concern (as I see it) is the "re-branding" of Group A/C to Heritage Touring Cars and if replicas get a toe hold it will be the Group N to Touring Car Masters all over again.

#14 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 22:15

Rob said confidently...I wish I could be so confident...

Maintaining an original Group A/C is a constant battle...for example...ECU...20 year old electronics is no longer supported, so there is a concession needed for a start (no pun intended).

But the main concern (as I see it) is the "re-branding" of Group A/C to Heritage Touring Cars and if replicas get a toe hold it will be the Group N to Touring Car Masters all over again.

Mick, it is the basic car, body shell rollcage, basic engine type and transmission components that is supposed to remain original. Though even unmolested cars have had mechanical replacements due to age. Supposedly not upgrades.

eg. L34s are still suffering with banjo diffs. A9X [and L34] the lack of diff ratios and all of these cars the lack of the original size and style of tyres. And I guess things like brake rotors etc too.

Even some of this stuff is probably not available regularly for many GpA cars either. What is the availability of Getrag parts for instance? And I believe many serious parts for Sierras too.

I have heard a rumor about replicas GpCs being allowed under strict rules. Eg to replace cars no longer around.

On a financial ground it would make the existing cars worth far less. Though make fuller fields. Though everyone will want to build 'hero" cars.

#15 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:10

Mick, it is the basic car, body shell rollcage, basic engine type and transmission components that is supposed to remain original. Though even unmolested cars have had mechanical replacements due to age. Supposedly not upgrades.
eg. L34s are still suffering with banjo diffs. A9X [and L34] the lack of diff ratios and all of these cars the lack of the original size and style of tyres. And I guess things like brake rotors etc too.
Even some of this stuff is probably not available regularly for many GpA cars either. What is the availability of Getrag parts for instance? And I believe many serious parts for Sierras too.
I have heard a rumor about replicas GpCs being allowed under strict rules. Eg to replace cars no longer around.
On a financial ground it would make the existing cars worth far less. Though make fuller fields. Though everyone will want to build 'hero" cars.

Sure...however, as you know, the cars were under constant development in the period...so if your log book says Car X, which had X configuration and X livery...that is what the Group A/C people have to maintain and are scrutineered against. Another problem is the one-off or short run nature of some of these components (Getrag included).

If had a genuine car, I would be worried about the possible introduction of win-at-all-costs types in replicas.