Photo
- - - - -

How much is a team's setup influenced by other cars?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mathewking21

mathewking21

• 48 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:58

As example, take RB10 .. Would it be set up differently if there were only Ferr&Renault engines on the track? I mean, with less top speed and more df?

Assuming that this year is 710 bhp vs 785 bhp, and next year may be 760 vs 850, it means RB11 would have to be set-up for even less drag?

Or the set-up is not influenced so much by other cars?

Advertisement

#2 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:11

Depends on the results of other cars in FP, analysis of the laptimes during a practice stint. If you end up in front of cars with a naturally higher downforce but lower top speed, you can try to counteract that by setting up the car for higher top speeds. Not that the car ever gets perfect, it's almost always a compromise/tradeoff between top speed and cornering grip / stability.

#3 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:07

As example, take RB10 .. Would it be set up differently if there were only Ferr&Renault engines on the track? I mean, with less top speed and more df?

You've missed something about Ferrari this year. They seem to have almost as much power as the Merc.

#4 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,005 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:12

You've missed something about Ferrari this year. They seem to have almost as much power as the Merc.

The problem is we don't know what engine settings they are all using - Was Ferrari at max power and Mercedes at minimum or vice versa?

Edited by GrumpyYoungMan, 07 April 2015 - 12:13.

#5 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 2,393 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:22

I think the answer is yes of course. We already saw Red Bull running less Dow force to shed drag last year as they actually had to race, whereas in 2013 Vettel could nail qualifying and run off from the start.

#6 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:53

I think I can understand that a different setup is needed if the expectation is to be running in traffic and to overtake (on track and in the pits) compared to qualifying well and racing in relatively clean air, but what else is there to this?

The majority will be in traffic and the few cars in the front will be the exception, right?