Photo
* * - - - 6 votes

Should Jenson Have Retired?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Jenson Have Retired in 2014? (Try pretend you were back in 2014 and had no idea the Mac would be a dog) (143 member(s) have cast votes)

Retire or Stay?

1. No, I don't see why he should leave. He's still on of F1's top drivers. (76 votes [53.15%])

Percentage of vote: 53.15%

2. No, £8 million is a lot of cash monies to ignore! (12 votes [8.39%])

Percentage of vote: 8.39%

3. No, he's enjoying F1 and should stay as long as he can get a drive. (36 votes [25.17%])

Percentage of vote: 25.17%

4. Yes, he's a seat blocker. (9 votes [6.29%])

Percentage of vote: 6.29%

5. Yes, there are other interesting things outside of F1he could do (WEC etc). (8 votes [5.59%])

Percentage of vote: 5.59%

6. Yes, he should protect his legacy. (2 votes [1.40%])

Percentage of vote: 1.40%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 14:09

I saw an interesting article in the Telegraph which basically says Jense should have called it a day last year when it was clear that the team didn't really want him any more.

There's obviously a bit of Captain Hindsight going on and there's the not inconsiderable £8million salary involved, but would he have been better moving to WEC like MW did rather than facing an uncertain future at McLaren?

Given he was also going to be paired with one of the best drivers of this generation and he'd already  won a WDC, what more did he have to prove?

linky

Edited by CountDooku, 10 April 2015 - 10:37.

Advertisement

#2 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 14:15

He's on a 1-year contract right? So he's nothing to lose. If the McLaren starts improving a lot he'll be very glad he stayed. If it continues to be a dog, he can walk away. I also suspect he'd dearly love to beat Alonso over a season. He knows he's not ranked in the same class as Alonso and Hamilton, but if he could finish ahead of each of them in the same car . . .

The only cruel thing for JB would be if the McLaren starts looking good at the end of the year and McLaren kick him out for 2016 before he can reap the rewards...

#3 K20a

K20a

• 353 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 14:15

No

#4 Jvr

Jvr

• 7,598 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 14:16

I saw an interesting article in the Telegraph which basically says Jense should have called it a day last year when it was clear that the team didn't really want him any more.

There's obviously a bit of Captain Hindsight going on and there's the not inconsiderable £8million salary involved, but would he have been better moving to WEC like MW did rather than facing an uncertain future at McLaren?

Given he was also going to be paired with one of the best drivers of this generation and he'd already  won a WDC, what more did he have to prove?

linky

At least during today's drivers' interview he seemed to enjoy himself. I see he can still move to other series after the McLaren / Honda development era. So my answer would be no.

#5 sergey1308

sergey1308

• 116 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 14:20

He is a great driver and I want him to stay. But of course someday he will have to go. WEC or Formula E will be a good place for him.

#6 GazWillsDSJ

GazWillsDSJ

• 5 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 14:23

Nah, he's a top driver.... Button and Alonso will get on fine sorting this car out...

Edited by GazWillsDSJ, 09 April 2015 - 14:24.

#7 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 14:24

He's on a 1-year contract right? So he's nothing to lose. If the McLaren starts improving a lot he'll be very glad he stayed. If it continues to be a dog, he can walk away. I also suspect he'd dearly love to beat Alonso over a season. He knows he's not ranked in the same class as Alonso and Hamilton, but if he could finish ahead of each of them in the same car . . .

The only cruel thing for JB would be if the McLaren starts looking good at the end of the year and McLaren kick him out for 2016 before he can reap the rewards...

I dunno, it's a shame to see a clearly talented driver trundling along at the back when the team didn't want him. At least we know Alonso will probably be kept for the long hall.

No

Useful contribution.

#8 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 14:36

If the car is a dog even by the end and the team is non commital towards him he will probably leave them. No point sticking around.

If it improves and his feedback has been highly valuable then he may get another extension.

#9 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 14:38

He's been at the back before, with Honda too, and I think he relishes a challenge, as well as £8m a year. I'm pretty sure that he made the right decision in staying, even if he were to lose badly to Alonso this year. His name is on the biggest trophy already.

#10 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 14:42

Doesn't he have a 2-year-deal?

In any case, it looks like Button will be the kind of experienced driver, who helps to re-build a team, but doesn't taste fruits. A bit like Coulthard at Red Bull (05-08) and Schumacher in Mercedes (10-12) in the twilight of their careers. The success of the team would come later and fruits will be tasted by other (younger) drivers.

I personally do not expect Button at the front of the field any more, so I think he should feel comfortable enough by having such a "development driver" role late in his career. But I guess for him it is better than racing in another series.:) For many drivers F1 is still the "pinnacle" and they haven't said "no" even to moving to lesser teams to extend their careers and still feel being part of F1 - Fisichella, Barrichello, Trulli, Coulthard, etc, among them.

#11 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 14:44

He's been at the back before, with Honda too, and I think he relishes a challenge, as well as £8m a year. I'm pretty sure that he made the right decision in staying, even if he were to lose badly to Alonso this year. His name is on the biggest trophy already.

It's not really the issue of being a backmarker as happened in the Earth Nightmare, it's more to do it in the twilight of your career.

I think you should always retire on a high, leave them wanting more - see Prost and Schumi V1.

#12 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,869 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 14:46

Doesn't he have a 2-year-deal?

In any case, it looks like Button will be the kind of experienced driver, who helps to re-build a team, but doesn't taste fruits. A bit like Coulthard at Red Bull (05-08) and Schumacher in Mercedes (10-12) in the twilight of their careers. The success of the team would come later and fruits will be tasted by other (younger) drivers.

I personally do not expect Button at the front of the field any more, so I think he should feel comfortable enough by having such a "development driver" role late in his career. But I guess for him it is better than racing in another series. :) For many drivers F1 is still the "pinnacle" and they haven't said "no" even to moving to lesser teams to extend their careers and still feel being part of F1 - Fisichella, Barrichello, Trulli, Coulthard, etc, among them.

Eeehrm... I think that Schumacher, would he have stayed, would not have beaten Rosberg. And certainly not Hamilton. So even if he had stayed he would have not had the chance to really pick low-hanging fruit.

Regarding the topic: it depends on the season. If the whole year stays like this for McLaren-Honda, yeah, then obviously. But who knows...

#13 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 14:48

It's not really the issue of being a backmarker as happened in the Earth Nightmare, it's more to do it in the twilight of your career.

I think you should always retire on a high, leave them wanting more - see Prost and Schumi V1.

Everyone's career is different. Prost and Schumacher were elite drivers, who could basically choose any team to drive for. Webber was a bit fortunate with "timing" to be in the dominant team at the end of his career.

For most it is a matter of compromise. And even if you are a great driver, you can still be at the wrong team - see Alonso. Then what can Button choose? If he wants to be in F1, then why not, even if it is not a "high".

#14 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 14:51

Eeehrm... I think that Schumacher, would he have stayed, would not have beaten Rosberg. And certainly not Hamilton. So even if he had stayed he would have not had the chance to really pick low-hanging fruit.

Regarding the topic: it depends on the season. If the whole year stays like this for McLaren-Honda, yeah, then obviously. But who knows...

Even if it would have been a "low-hanging fruit", it would still probably have meant an odd race win. Which is better than P5, P7 or P10. I also do not think Coulthard would have had any chance against Vettel or Webber that late in his career, but getting podiums would be better than getting a P13!

Barrichello (2009) and Webber (till 2013) were a bit fortunate to be at the right place in the twilights of their careers. They didn't win the championships, obviously, but still were near the front of the field.

Edited by sopa, 09 April 2015 - 14:52.

#15 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,520 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 14:52

If he's still enjoying it, then the answer is definitely a no.

#16 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 14:56

No, simply. He's driving well and seems to be enjoying the challenge of getting McLaren and Honda towards the front.

#17 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 14:57

Everyone's career is different. Prost and Schumacher were elite drivers, who could basically choose any team to drive for. Webber was a bit fortunate with "timing" to be in the dominant team at the end of his career.

For most it is a matter of compromise. And even if you are a great driver, you can still be at the wrong team - see Alonso. Then what can Button choose? If he wants to be in F1, then why not, even if it is not a "high".

Were I in his shoes I would definitely have moved to WEC. Currently an extremely exciting championship from a tech perspective and there's now a world championship to boot so it's not like it's only Le Mans. Lots of new manufacturers entering as well.

But then £8m is a lot of cash.... :well:

#18 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 15:02

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

#19 Beamer

Beamer

• 3,400 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 15:03

As long as you enjoy yourself and get paid 8m go for it. Jenson is the only one that can answer this question. He doesn't have to quit because fans want him out on a high.

Advertisement

#20 MrWorldwideJr

MrWorldwideJr

• 110 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 15:07

Were I in his shoes I would definitely have moved to WEC. Currently an extremely exciting championship from a tech perspective and there's now a world championship to boot so it's not like it's only Le Mans. Lots of new manufacturers entering as well.

But then £8m is a lot of cash.... :well:

You seem to be coming at this from the perspective that the only reason that Button is still in F1 is money.  

Perhaps he just likes driving in F1 and thinks that he would enjoy driving in WEC less?  Perhaps for him the possibility of winning more F1 races is better than the possibility of winning in WEC?  

I tend to think that in general drivers' decision making is driven by enjoyment and just what they think they would have most fun doing rather than money far more than people on this forum give them credit for.

#21 Button4life

Button4life

• 6,067 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 15:16

1st, how do you know McLaren didn't want him? If they didn't want him they wouldn't have signed him surely. 2nd, he still enjoys racing so he shouldn't have retired

#22 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 15:19

You had to qualify your Schumi example, which says something.

I think he should hang around like a bad smell until he's sucked the sport dry for all the pennies they will give him even if it means he's seat blocking for a young turk. He loves what he's doing so as long as someone will pay, he should carry on.

It's not like the 70's where every race was chipping away at your chances of survival.

#23 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 15:23

Based on the last time I thought he should retire and move elsewhere, he ended up champion the following year.  Stick with it until you only have a pay drive available.

#24 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 15:42

You seem to be coming at this from the perspective that the only reason that Button is still in F1 is money.  

Perhaps he just likes driving in F1 and thinks that he would enjoy driving in WEC less?  Perhaps for him the possibility of winning more F1 races is better than the possibility of winning in WEC?  

I tend to think that in general drivers' decision making is driven by enjoyment and just what they think they would have most fun doing rather than money far more than people on this forum give them credit for.

You'll note I mentioned other factors than money. It's more to do with competitiveness and generally trundling around at the back. Kinda ruins the memories.

#25 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 15:43

1st, how do you know McLaren didn't want him? If they didn't want him they wouldn't have signed him surely. 2nd, he still enjoys racing so he shouldn't have retired

The article states that management didn't want him and he was only kept when the board intervened.

#26 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 15:45

You had to qualify your Schumi example, which says something.

I think he should hang around like a bad smell until he's sucked the sport dry for all the pennies they will give him even if it means he's seat blocking for a young turk. He loves what he's doing so as long as someone will pay, he should carry on.

It's not like the 70's where every race was chipping away at your chances of survival.

The Schumi qualification actually proves my point. V1 retired and spawned countless arguments along the lines of..."If Schumi was back in the sport he would TonkTM XYZ drive".

But then V2 came back and killed the speculation by actually giving people an answer.

#27 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 15:48

I don't agree he did, but that's another discussion. The point is, Schumie didn't retire on a high, he merely had a hiatus. His enjoyment of participating exceeded his need to leave on a high.

Button should continue until he's bored or forced to pay.

#28 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,704 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 15:50

He's being paid more to drive a car around a track for a few days a year than most of us will earn in a lifetime. No, he shouldn't have retired. I think he has ambitions of becoming a professional triathlete when his F1 days are done (and he should be competitive, based on past results), but he's got a family and a financial legacy to think about and leaving millions of dollars on the table is not a smart move, even if the car is a turd.

#29 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 15:51

The article states that management didn't want him and he was only kept when the board intervened.

And everything on the internet is true.

#30 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 15:55

I don't agree he did, but that's another discussion. The point is, Schumie didn't retire on a high, he merely had a hiatus. His enjoyment of participating exceeded his need to leave on a high.

Button should continue until he's bored or forced to pay.

You only know it was a hiatus in hindsight. My point is there was clearly friction with Ferrari. He could have moved to the McLaren or Renault seats in 07 but he chose to leave.

The friction is the parallel with Button. edit: Or at least the unwillingness of the team to retain him.

Edited by CountDooku, 09 April 2015 - 16:12.

#31 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 15:57

The friction is the parallel with Button.

Can you point to evidence of this friction?

#32 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 15:57

Not really, he clearly remains competitive, if only McLaren could get it right.

As long as he doesn't pull a Barrichello and become a desperate seat beggar, it'll be fine.

#33 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 15:59

And everything on the internet is true.

Of course not, but you can take it up with the Telegraph Media Group.

Telegraph Enquiries

Victory House

Meeting House Lane

Chatham

Kent

ME4 4TT

Phone:

UK freephone: 0800 316 6977

Overseas: 0044 1622 33 50 30

Please note that phone lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm GMT.

All incoming and outgoing calls are recorded for training, quality control and for confirming orders and information

#34 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 16:04

Telegraph Enquiries

Victory House

Meeting House Lane

Chatham

Kent

ME4 4TT

Phone:

All incoming and outgoing calls are recorded for training, quality control and for confirming orders and information

You're the one taking it as gospel. 

Personally I take everything Daniel Johnson writes with a medium-sized pinch of salt.

This article has a whiff of '6 inches to fill, gotta rite sumfink'.

Even if true though, so what?

Preferring a different driver is not evidence of friction.

I haven't read any suggestion of friction between JB and team management.  What have I missed?

Edited by trogggy, 09 April 2015 - 16:05.

#35 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 16:09

You're the one taking it as gospel. 

Personally I take everything Daniel Johnson writes with a medium-sized pinch of salt.

This article has a whiff of '6 inches to fill, gotta rite sumfink'.

Even if true though, so what?

Preferring a different driver is not evidence of friction.

I haven't read any suggestion of friction between JB and team management.  What have I missed?

I don't have anything specific, just pieces of information from articles written last year and murmurings on this forum. Mosaic work really, not gospel.

I tend not to take everything as true either, but then I don't have much time to question everything on the interweb either! Especially from a broadsheet.

Edited by CountDooku, 09 April 2015 - 16:10.

#36 Skaffen

Skaffen

• 380 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 16:10

Telegraph Enquiries

Victory House

Meeting House Lane

Chatham

Kent

ME4 4TT

Phone:

Actually it's more to do with Daniel Johnson - he wrote an awful lot of stories at the end of last year which started off with "Button is definitely gone, the team and the management and the board  don't want him".  He then had to start backtracking pretty hard, and given what happened and what has been said I'd question his sources.

Some journalists don't like being proven wrong and that article just reads as a bit of sour grapes - more of a "I was right really, there was just some unusual circumstances that made me *look* wrong at the time".

#37 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

McLaren didn't fall out with Button, but for a while they were unsure, who to keep - Button or Magnussen. This is normal business for F1 teams - it doesn't mean conflict, just genuine evaluation of which drivers are the best options to sign. Only late in the season, when it became obvious Button was comfortably beating Magnussen, McLaren's choice became more clear.

#38 scumbarma

scumbarma

• 36 posts

Couple of points.

1, Johnson is hardly the at the journalist peak and I would  add IMHO that this is one of those lets muddy the water and see if I can raise my readership number levels, as a bit,  of knocking Jenson is always fair game in F1, it gets a response.

2. Not sure if everyone at the big MAC all want to see Jenson out, I think they are quiet happy to have him around talking up this Zamboni/milk float/Road Roller of a car.

3, For 8 million I think he would have argeed to listen to Lewis's ex sing as well as drive for big MAC.

4 And finally , I think there is nothing higher  in mortorsport than F1 in Jensons head, WEC, V8 's Combine harvester racing are all just other genre, for him  F1 is it.

He should hang on whilst he has the ability ( which it would seem to be so) and enjoys it, has fun, and puts in the odd surprise now and then.

F1 has given him 100 million in the bank in return he has entertained us , got his WC and has still managed to be one of the very few gentlemen in the biz.

#39 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 16:15

I don't have anything specific, just pieces of information from articles written last year and murmurings on this forum. Mosaic work really, not gospel.

I tend not to take everything as true either, but then I don't have much time to question everything on the interweb either! Especially from a broadsheet.

Suggestions of friction between Button and who?

This is all news to me.

Advertisement

#40 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 16:18

McLaren didn't fall out with Button, but for a while they were unsure, who to keep - Button or Magnussen. This is normal business for F1 teams - it doesn't mean conflict, just genuine evaluation of which drivers are the best options to sign. Only late in the season, when it became obvious Button was comfortably beating Magnussen, McLaren's choice became more clear.

Absolutely.

Option 1 - old fart, good points scorer, expensive.

Option 2 - young whippersnapper, may make the grade, cheap as chips.

Preferring 2 to 1 doesn't mean there's friction between you and the old giffer.

edited for spulling and typso.

Edited by trogggy, 09 April 2015 - 16:20.

#41 MikeMM

MikeMM

• 884 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 16:45

linky

Should have Alonso retired? Why dont you ask this question too?

#42 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 1,065 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 16:48

He is a great driver and I want him to stay. But of course someday he will have to go. WEC or Formula E will be a good place for him.

Hey come on man, no one deserves that. :lol:

#43 loki

loki

• 12,292 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 20:00

The way McLaren is running he has effectively retired.  Or has become the second most highly paid test driver on the grid, next to Fred.

#44 MrWorldwideJr

MrWorldwideJr

• 110 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 20:51

Its not like Button (or anyone else) is going to look back and think that this season tarnishes his career or ruins the good memories of race wins and his championship is it?
As the OP said he has nothing left to provewhich gives him the freedom to do whatever he likes. Why would he waste that by passing up the chance to do something he obviously still loves doing just so that he doesn't 'ruin the memories'?
If McLaren improve we get a whole new set of good memories, maybe even more wins. If they don't its an insignificant footnote and we all remember 2009, Hungary 2006 etc. etc. just as we would have done anyway

#45 redraven9

redraven9

• 614 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 21:27

Jenson is one the best drivers on the grid (same level or better than Raikkonnen) - see: Canadian GP 2011, Hungary 2006, the season where he scored 3rd with BAR, 2009, beating Hamilton in scores in 3 years overall etc. Even last year was great. No, he should't retire.

Edited by redraven9, 09 April 2015 - 21:28.

#46 AlexS

AlexS

• 6,341 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 21:39

If he still likes it then he made the right decision.

#47 Ar558

Ar558

• 50 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 00:39

I'm sure he has a 2-year deal. That's part of why it took McLaren so long to decide as JB wanted 2 years. I would say if I was earning £8m I would keep going too! I'm sure he is hoping that as he didn't do too badly against LH he thinks if the car and engine are up to snuff in 16 he can give Fernando a run for his money. He can still go to WEC in 17.

#48 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:19

I am confused about the part "the team doesn't want him". After all those months, he got the seat.

What do many professional drivers aspire to? Being in Formula One. Has he been doing this long enough to feel comfortable doing his job? Yes. Does it pay well? Yes. Can he get a ride in another series once he leaves Formula One? Yes.

So what's the problem? Is he keeping some promising young talent from a seat? Of course, yes, but this is nothing new. Is he worried about his "legacy"? Newsflash, drivers want to race, they only worry about the next race.

Jenson-Button-and-Jessica-Michibat.png

Living large. Cool and exciting job, lots of money, hot wife.

#49 Waggy

Waggy

• 711 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:42

Um in there last season together Schumacher out performed Rosberg, They tied 10-10 in the qualy battle something that Lewis couldnt do last year, and in races both finished Schumacher was ahead something 8-2. Schumacher have much more race pace than Rosberg. So I have no doubt in my mind Schumacher if he stayed would of won last year..

If Schumacher was paired with Hamilton the races between them would be much more competitive cos unlike Rosberg old Schumacher still had race pace. :wave:

#50 Rurouni

Rurouni

• 769 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:03

Wait? I never heard about the management wanted to drop Button but the board didn't. Even if the management wanted to drop Button, that doesn't mean most of the people at McLaren racing didn't want Button. It might just mean that one person... yes one person only (which might be Ron Dennis) that wanted to drop Button. And it probably not because he disliked Button, but more about the potential for Magnussen as he is a lot younger than Button + he is cheap + he might attract new sponsors.

If you asked any team, and money doesn't matter, which one would you choose... Alo - But, Alo - Mag, But - Mag. I think the answer is obvious. And it's more obvious for a top team that wanted to win (which is basically choose the best driver available for now and not for the future).

So I don't know if they are going to race in China with the feeling that management don't want Button to be there, but I haven't felt that. Not China, not in Malaysia, not in Aussie, and not in testing. So whatever the management problem with Button is, it certainly didn't affect their race operation. Which is fine by me  :yawnface:

Should he retired? Why should he? The reasoning in that article didn't make any sense. He might not need to prove anything, but then why Alonso still want to race? How about Hamilton, Kimi, Vettel? And the fact that Button facing someone considered to be currently the best racing driver, I think that should motivate Button enough.