'96 Euro GP - two speeding penalties in same race for Hakkinen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 20:30

Hello everyone,

I just finished watching the 1996 European Grand Prix, a cracker of a race worth watching if you haven't already...and maybe worth another go if you have.

Mika Hakkinen must have been glad to leave the place. After having his engine fail just as he began his first flying lap in qualifying and having to scrap a lap together in the spare car. he was issued with two pit lane speeding penalties in the race. One for each of his two pitstops.

I did notice that he seemed to be coming in a little quick on his first stop. I was however mystified when he received a second penalty after his second stop. I have never seen, or known of this occurring in F1 before or since. I thought that surely, if it had been driver error the first time, Hakkinen would have been more careful the second time. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any mention in race reports whether it was driver error or a problem with the speed limiter. I would be grateful if anybody could shed more light on this.

Advertisement

#2 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 20:41

Google is your friend - http://en.wikipedia....pean_Grand_Prix - pit lane speed limiter.

#3 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 20:53

Google is your friend - http://en.wikipedia....pean_Grand_Prix - pit lane speed limiter.

Thanks Richard. That's my fault for not scrolling all the way down to the bottom of the page! Most of the Wiki pages for the races have decent reports or results, I haven't noticed many with notes like that so I didn't bother going any further.

I also wonder why David Coulthard didn't have the same problem but that's another question.