Photo

Hand-held mountable fire extinguisher to comply with FIA Appendix J - Article 253-7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,343 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:08

Anyone know where I can get a hand held fire extinguisher that's small and slim but still compliant with article 253-7 in a hurry?

(My plumbed in system may not arrive in time.....)

Advertisement

#2 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:45

Anyone know where I can get a hand held fire extinguisher that's small and slim but still compliant with article 253-7 in a hurry?

(My plumbed in system may not arrive in time.....)

For racing you no longer require an extinguisher. For single car events they are generally required. As per Supp regs. 

The standard for those is AS 1841. 1 kg versions are about 300 x 85mm and are available from most hardware stores. I bought one a fortnight ago for $20 from Bunnings. BUT be very carefull on the brackets. If you mount it outside the body work the cheap brackets are sort of ok. In a crash it just jumps off the car.  Inside the car with you the bloody things can come loose.And hit you!   Both the over centre clip type supposedly the best and the simple spring clip that nearly all come with now.  Even expensive ones.  I was told to zip tie the extinguisher!!  Kinda defeats any purpose!   And no it was not inside the car with me. And they have a life, three years from manufacture date. Most are 3-4 months old when you buy them. Old ones cost a lot more to get refilled and certified.

They have for decades defied logic, with the mandatory extinguisher. especially in tin tops. I used to tape the clips down with race tape.  [With a tag to pull the tape off]  Then the scrutineers muck around with it  and it came loose in the car. That happened twice! In a crash they are a extreme hazard. As they fly around in the car. Especially in rollovers. I have seen the the things do that and go off in the car. I have seen plumbed ones go off too,, when not required. That cost quite a few dollars in an engine rebuild. Dry powder is not good for engines,, or drivers either.

In recent years I have observed most open wheelers have them mounted on the side of the engine bay or over the gearbox.

20 years ago my business had a burglary and then they set fire to the place. The 3k extinguisher mounted inside the office door went off with the heat and did a fairly good job of putting the fire out in the main office. Though extinguisher dust and smoke damage. What a mess. Fires even if they do not burn very much make a hell of a mess with smoke and heat. It stunk for months, probably the smoke that got into the insulation.

#3 2Bob

2Bob

• 581 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 21:38

Lee: "For racing you no longer require an extinguisher." Correct as I understand the manual:

http://docs.cams.com...le-H-2015-1.pdf

see table H at the end.

I also agree with Lee's comments about coming loose - had that happen twice in my Mini years ago - what a PITA.  Having said that still have one - not sure why! 

#4 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,343 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 22:19

Supp regs I'm looking at say

Regularity/Supersprint drivers should check and

comply with the CAMS manual requirements.-

(i.e. fire extinguishers ARE required).

So am just looking to use a stop gap one til the Lifeline 1.5kg Zero Zero system arrives............ I may ring the relevant Mallala category contact person(s) in Adelaide.  (Andrew Scadding and Peter Whelan).

Edited by SJ Lambert, 10 April 2015 - 22:21.

#5 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 22:43

Lee: "For racing you no longer require an extinguisher." Correct as I understand the manual:

http://docs.cams.com...le-H-2015-1.pdf

see table H at the end.

I also agree with Lee's comments about coming loose - had that happen twice in my Mini years ago - what a PITA.  Having said that still have one - not sure why! 

Bob, take it out. There is that 100th of a second you were lokking for!

#6 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 22:45

Supp regs I'm looking at say

Regularity/Supersprint drivers should check and

comply with the CAMS manual requirements.-

(i.e. fire extinguishers ARE required).

So am just looking to use a stop gap one til the Lifeline 1.5kg Zero Zero system arrives............ I may ring the relevant Mallala category contact person(s) in Adelaide.  (Andrew Scadding and Peter Whelan).

I did not have one at Mallala last year doing Supersprint format. Running as Sports Sedan.

Just use a $20 Bunnings one and mount it on the gearbox somewhere.

#7 stuartbrs

stuartbrs

• 801 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:26

I thought the rule was that even if you are running regularity, if there are manned fire posts then you don't need the extinguisher.

I wouldn't wear an open face helmet in a car, for fear of something coming loose and whacking me in the face.. although some might say it would be an improvement.

Edited by stuartbrs, 13 April 2015 - 04:29.

#8 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:32

I thought the rule was that even if you are running regularity, if there are manned fire posts then you don't need the extinguisher.

I wouldn't wear an open face helmet in a car, for fear of something coming loose and whacking me in the face.. although some might say it would be an improvement.

Its up to you, fire can take hold very quickly...sometimes more quickly then the average Flaggie can get to you or the Firey's can be scrambled...

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 13 April 2015 - 04:33.