Photo
- - - - -

LE TV steaming all F1 sessions online: The Future?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Graveltrappen

Graveltrappen

• 1,261 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:09

Worth watching this short clip from Scarbs and Peter Windsor who are both currently employed to do content for the Chinese F1 rights holder who are streaming all of this years F1 sessions online.

Obviously it's region locked, but they're putting a decent effort into their coverage. It got me wondering if in the future could someone like Netflix pick up the F1 rights and steam it... I think that's the future and a good way to make it accessible for a new generation who perhaps aren't arsed about paying £50+ per month to enable them to follow the season in full.

https://youtu.be/OCu3qY9qjXw

Advertisement

#2 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 13:02

Kinda surprised that China is so late to the game with online streaming really.

Most TV and radio broadcasters in Europe have had online streams of their channels for a decade now.

In the UK we've had some sort of online streaming of all the F1 sessions since 2008.

#3 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 13:10

A MotoGP subscription lets me watch every session, of the MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3, live anywhere in the world on my phone or a PC, choosing my own camera angles if I wish, including multiscreen options so I can watch the TV feed as well as my favourite rider's onboard cameras and the helicopter shots. I can watch live, rewind and pause at will and watch an archive of every race going back to 1992.

That is how it is done.

#4 pdac

pdac

• 17,308 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 16:05

A MotoGP subscription lets me watch every session, of the MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3, live anywhere in the world on my phone or a PC, choosing my own camera angles if I wish, including multiscreen options so I can watch the TV feed as well as my favourite rider's onboard cameras and the helicopter shots. I can watch live, rewind and pause at will and watch an archive of every race going back to 1992.

That is how it is done.

Not really. The problem with all pay options is that, rather than making it as inexpensive as possible, the providers prefer to charge a high price and convince you it's worth it by adding all sorts of extras that most don't care about.

#5 SheIsDisaster

SheIsDisaster

• 263 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 20:48

Not really. The problem with all pay options is that, rather than making it as inexpensive as possible, the providers prefer to charge a high price and convince you it's worth it by adding all sorts of extras that most don't care about.

Come on man. It is only 140/season.

Edited by SheIsDisaster, 13 April 2015 - 20:49.

#6 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,268 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 21:07

27047B1B00000578-3019490-New_president_G

Jp

#7 andrewr

andrewr

• 338 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:47

That is how it is done.

Indeed, and they seem to be significantly improving the features every year, unlike the new F1 site which is currently bug-ridden and utter trash.

#8 BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz

• 850 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:57

Steaming.

Is there an app for that? I'm always behind the times, me. Glad I've got you guys to keep me right. :wave:

#9 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,107 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:59

For a reasonable fee, yes!

Edited by Nathan, 17 April 2015 - 05:03.

#10 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:16

That is how it is done.

That's how I see it developing. Basic coverage should be FTA television so that the maximum number of people will see it without having to go to the trouble of seeking it out, ideally live but highlights are better than nothing. That's how you maintain the profile of the sport and draw in new people and that won't change any time soon.

In-depth, quality coverage aimed at the dedicated fan should be subscription-based where you subscribe to the thing you want to watch, e.g. F1. That's how you persude rational people, rather than those that merely enjoy the feeling of Schadenfreude they get from paying for exclusive coverage, to pay to watch; by adding useful features such as those you describe, which give the subscriber a better experience than they could get from the coverage that has been available previously. The easiest way to offer that is online, in roughly the way MotoGP does it.

A model where you subscribe to a pay TV package, end up with coverage that's no better than what used to be on FTA television, and have to pay to subscribe to loads of unrelated content which you may or may not want, is inherently crap and was completely outdated even before it was adopted by F1 in one of its most important markets (the UK). It only really makes sense for the consumer if they happen to be interested in a lot of content that's available exclusively on Sky - there's no a la carte option at a price that makes sense, which deters a lot of potential business.

Edited by redreni, 17 April 2015 - 11:19.

#11 pdac

pdac

• 17,308 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:38

Come on man. It is only 140/season.

It always depends on:

a. What is affordable

b. What people are prepared to pay

The two extremes are:

1. Charge very little, but sell a lot

2. Charge a great deal, but  make a good margin on each sale

I feeling is that these sort of services start off closer to option 2 than option 1 (mainly because they think that will bring the most money in, in the short term, so  that they can quickly cover their start-up costs). However, I think it's difficult to succeed in the long term with this strategy as you need to have the big subscriber numbers in the long term. Also, there is the temptation  to launch your service before it's ready (again to cover the start-up costs).

#12 peterr

peterr

• 54 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:03

Worth watching this short clip from Scarbs and Peter Windsor who are both currently employed to do content for the Chinese F1 rights holder who are streaming all of this years F1 sessions online.

How/where is this stream available, if you are in China? 

#13 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 16:58

If you think Dorna are worth that much money when you get it free at decent quality then more fool you. The MotoGP sub is a lot of money for a channel largely biased to the Spanish media at times (no shock as three quarters of the feild are Spanish).  You can pick up that news elsewhere for free.

Streaming a series that makes a bunch of money is a mugs game sorry, I will never do it.

Problem will be when they start losing so much profit they start searching out the free stream sites.

Dorna are already fairly serious in finding stuff on youtube, as are Youthstream for MXGP, even though theri coverage is abysmal anyway.