Photo
- - - - -

This is why F1 hasn't got bigger audiences.

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 V666

V666

• 70 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 17:04

Indycar blows F1 out of the water with camera work like this, if F1 had this technology the viewers on TV would rocket IMO. It feels like you're in the race whilst watching this footage.

Advertisement

#2 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 17:17

I'm not an IndyCar fan by any stretch, but their onboard camera work often leaves me asking why F1 isn't doing the same or better.

Edited by AustinF1, 11 April 2015 - 17:17.

#3 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,306 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 17:24

Well, the camerawork in Indycar is better but it's not like it has bigger audiences than F1. The problem, if indeed there is a problem, is I suspect more to do with pay TV and a lack of competition a the front, the latter of which will hopefully be solved this season.

#4 Beamer

Beamer

• 3,402 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 17:35

Don't know which year it was anymore but they had the Web cast where you could be your own director and select your own camera to watch. That was great... maybe they still do but not available over here? Too bad I can't watch it live anymore....

#5 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 33,020 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 17:51

A turd still looks like a turd no matter what camera angle you get on it. This is clearly not the problem.

#6 chrcol

chrcol

• 3,637 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 17:54

Indycar blows F1 out of the water with camera work like this, if F1 had this technology the viewers on TV would rocket IMO. It feels like you're in the race whilst watching this footage.

onboard is king.

sadly f1 in last 5 years or so seems obsessed with track side cameras which I think is for sponsorship reasons.

#7 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 17:55

At least it sounds like a race car.

#8 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,102 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 17:59

It sounds like a different race car.

Fixed.

#9 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:06

Both the BBC and SKY have had feeds where you could watch a whole race from on board, and nobody watched them.

#10 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:11

This camera-theory in no way explains Indycar's dire tv ratings the world over.

#11 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:14

Sorta. It's sad that now even an IndyCar sounds better than an F1 car. I was at COTA yesterday & some the Moto GP & Moto 2 bikes sounded more like a race car than F1 does now.

Edited by AustinF1, 11 April 2015 - 18:15.

#12 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:15

Both the BBC and SKY have had feeds where you could watch a whole race from on board, and nobody watched them.

How much did they cost?

#13 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:17

How much did they cost?

They didn't cost anything extra over the tv license fee or the Sky subscription.

#14 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:19

They didn't cost anything extra over the tv license fee or the Sky subscription.

That's amazing. I would watch that almost exclusively if it were available here.

#15 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:20

heh, they even have the wily veterans vs. the young guns in that vid...

+/- 8:00 watch Montoya steal Pagenauds lunch.

These highlight vids are produced by IndyCar, and usually come out on their site on Tuesdays after the race.

If F1 would do that on their site once a week, that would be helpful.

No talk, just racing, perfect.

#16 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:24

There are 2 reasons I don't watch Indy Car -

1. I dislike Ovals.

2. They only race in the USA.

I think I'd watch a world Indy car championship if they started using some of the worlds classic tracks. But thats not what indy Car is about.

#17 LeClerc

LeClerc

• 25,044 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:27

I've followed F1 since the Dead Sea was only the "critical condition" Sea, but indycar is more fun.

As an engineer I'm fascinated by the tech in F1, that part of it is really the pinnacle of racing, but for sunday afternoon enjoyment indycar wins, and in the 90s before the split it was a no-contest. That was the glory years of indycar. :up:

#18 Gyno

Gyno

• 657 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:28

In Finland we can watch on a different channel that have onboard footage but you cant choose which car you wanna follow plus it's on a small screen with a bigger screen beside it that show the standings and another small screen that shows the normal broadcast.

3 small screens and cant choose which car to follow.

No thanks.

If it was possible to choose the car and have it full screen then I would watch that channel all the time.

#19 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:31

That's amazing. I would watch that almost exclusively if it were available here.

sky-sports-f1-red-button-9-way_2914061.j

Advertisement

#20 Otaku

Otaku

• 1,715 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:33

FOM...

#21 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:33

1. I dislike Ovals.

I think I'd watch a world Indy car championship if they started using some of the worlds classic tracks. But thats not what indy Car is about.

Only 6 of 16 races are now on ovals, and you have to admit, the I500 is one of the premier races in the world. Strategy is key to winning that race, as much as strategy is important in an F1 race.

I too would like to see them go over seas, it's sad, but IC is still digging itself out of the hole they put themselves into with their split. Hopefully in time, they will be international again, and hopefully use the classic tracks that F1 has abandoned while whoring itself out to the latest Tilke dromes.

Edited by whitewaterMkII, 11 April 2015 - 18:34.

#22 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,555 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:35

Improved camera work would no doubt help, but F1 has deeper problems than that.

#23 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:39

I've followed F1 since the Dead Sea was only the "critical condition" Sea, but indycar is more fun.

As an engineer I'm fascinated by the tech in F1, that part of it is really the pinnacle of racing, but for sunday afternoon enjoyment indycar wins, and in the 90s before the split it was a no-contest. That was the glory years of indycar. :up:

Maybe more fun if you like watching "Crash, yellow for several laps, crash on restart, yellow for  several laps, crash on restart...wash, rinse, repeat". That's what it's been like for the last several races I've tried to watch.

#24 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:40

Want!

#25 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,554 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:42

I've flicked through the onboard feeds before, and frankly it's a pretty poor way of following the race. You miss pretty much everything that happens.

#26 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 18:48

The F1 pack tends to be more spread out, it's not really that interesting watching the drivers going around by themselves for most of the race.

#27 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 1,895 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 20:04

You have to respect drivers that go around those tight streets and corners a lot more than the pathetic car parks that FIA has turned all F1 tracks into. 

#28 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 20:18

You have to respect drivers that go around those tight streets and corners a lot more than the pathetic car parks that FIA has turned all F1 tracks into. 

I respect their abilities, but the typical IndyCar street circuit is pure ****. Usually incredibly bumpy & not particularly entertaining to watch.

#29 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 20:40

1. I dislike Ovals.

1. It took me long to get into oval racing. While I may still prefer the road/street course races, ovals are an essential part of IndyCar. I'd even prefer a 50:50 split between ovals and road/street courses.

2. That's something I like about IndyCar. It doesn't mess weekend afternoons but is nicely in the evening. Sometimes I'd prefer it a bit earlier in Sunday evening and races in evening local time are like the Australian GP in the middle of the night, but I can live with them.

#30 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 20:55

Paint drying with a 360 degree camera is still paint drying.

#31 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 21:02

Are you talking about racing drivers or the local commuters?

#32 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 21:03

This is why F1 hasn't got bigger audiences.

No it isn't.

Though, crap coverage doesn't help.

#33 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 21:05

Sadly tou will never get diehard F1 fans to agree, they are the one responsible for it being behind a paywall, the ones responsible for it being the dearest motorsport in the world to go and watch as a fan, and ones responsible for Bernie not doing anything about it, as they keep watching it despite all of this.#

Leave them to it, I am not an Indy car fan at all, never watch any races, it doesn not appeal to me much, but you cannot argue with the coverage and racing,.

It is what got worldwide fans into V8 Supercars, the amazing tv coverage that still has never been betted in my eyes and this is also a good example

#34 phrank

phrank

• 1,315 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 21:13

The lack of investment in their TV-product shows how Formula One sees their regular fans. Their focus is solely on (dubious) governments with money to spend and the new rich that want to be associated with the glamour that was once associated with the sport. It's no wonder TV figures are dropping all over the world, especially in the markets where it had a strong presence before. Actually I cannot understand why brands like Renault still invest in Formula One still. And sheikhs cannot fill they grandstands.

#35 ninetyzero

ninetyzero

• 706 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 21:19

Oh for crying out loud would you give it a rest? Here's an idea, why don't you go away and post on a message board relating to a something that you actually like rather than polluting this website with your obsession with engine sounds.  :mad: Are you this tedious in real life or is it just a thing you do online?

#36 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 21:23

So you're saying that F1 should start racing at street tracks that are too small and narrow for the cars so we can get a nicer sense of speed?

#37 Incast

Incast

• 129 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 22:00

Those 360 degree HD cameras are magnificent in an action packed race like this. That was amazing to watch.

#38 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 22:29

So you're saying that F1 should start racing at street tracks that are too small and narrow for the cars so we can get a nicer sense of speed?

Absolutely right.

Cancel Monaco and move it to a new Tilke drome in Kuwait.

#39 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 22:31

I respect their abilities, but the typical IndyCar street circuit is pure ****. Usually incredibly bumpy & not particularly entertaining to watch.

I'm guessing that when Bernie can't pry any more dollars out of the COTA promoters and cancels their race, you'll be more than happy to see IndyCar race there.

Advertisement

#40 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 22:50

I'm guessing that when Bernie can't pry any more dollars out of the COTA promoters and cancels their race, you'll be more than happy to see IndyCar race there.

Doubtful. I've seen IndyCar in Houston and Fort Worth (actually it was IRL back then, and it was pretty cool then because the cars were faster and more appealing to the eye & ear). With those cars, sure, I'd love to see IndyCar at COTA. The other series COTA has right now and have had in the past (V8SC, Tudor, FIAWEC, PWC, Blancpain, Moto GP) are all much more entertaining than IndyCar. I might go see IndyCar at COTA if it ever comes, which is doubtful, but then again, I've been to every race at COTA. IndyCar's no substitute for F1, even with F1's current crap formula.

Edited by AustinF1, 11 April 2015 - 22:52.

#41 ANF

ANF

• 29,538 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 22:54

I don't really get the OP. What's wrong about these cameras?

Edited by ANF, 11 April 2015 - 22:56.

#42 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 22:58

IndyCar's no substitute for F1, even with F1's current crap formula.

It's to IC's benefit it isn't.

At the rate F1 is going, IC may soon be in the same position CART was in the late 90's. A threat to BE, and attractive to foreign promoters.

#43 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 23:08

Still going on about this?

broken-record-jpg.jpg

#44 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 1,645 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 23:20

onboard is king. sadly f1 just dont have the sponsors you see in the video to make it happen.

Cash i king we are just cannon fodder 

#45 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 23:36

Indycar is a brilliant racing series, apart from the adverts I look forward more nowadays to watching these races more than F1. MotoGP beats them both of course if you like pure out-and-out wheel-to-wheel racing on a wing and a prayer. Triple header today of course :)

#46 ANF

ANF

• 29,538 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 00:00

How are the Indycar cameras different from the F1 cameras? The only difference I can tell is that they are mounted a little higher, which on the one hand gives a better view of the distance between the front wing and things in front, but on the other hand shows everything in an angle that is further away from the drivers' point of view. Personally, I prefer the F1 position, except for close racing.

I don't think it's the cameras that make Indycar onboards more spectacular, but other things: more aggressive engine sounds, much bumpier tracks, and (most important?) the lack of power steering.

#47 phoenix101

phoenix101

• 295 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 00:37

Still going on about this?

broken-record-jpg.jpg

No records are being broken this year. The cars are much to slow.

#48 30ft penguin

30ft penguin

• 2,522 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:51

I don't really get the OP. What's wrong about these cameras?

(...)

I can only guess it's not so much about the cameras, but more about the number of cars on screen (as your videos show, except for the 360 degree camera, which would be kind of pointless in F1 with not that many cars together most of the time, the camera work is about the same). In Indycar, you have packs of cars and every five seconds someone overtakes someone else. And some fans prefer an inflation of overtaking moves.

By the way, I kind of remember seeing some 360 degree onboard camera footage during the last F1 race. Was only one short sequence, though - guess they were testing it.

#49 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:58

Your theory is void based on the fact Indycar has lousy rating. 

#50 ixnay

ixnay

• 198 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 02:02

For all Australian Foxtel subscribers - Channel 507 (Fox Sports Plus) will have similar to this for the GPs. "F1: Live bonus coverage of the Chinese GP with On-Board Camera, Live Timing, Driver Tracker, and Pit Lane. Press Red to activate".