638 replies to this topic

#1 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 21:37

"This IndyCar Series sure is a lot of things but boring isn't one of them."

- Plato, The Apology.

dp8g8l.jpg

Welcome one, welcome all to the third round of the 2015 Verizon IndyCar Series! Please, pull up a chair and make yourself comfortable. But leave your muddy boots outside, thanks.

Yes, you heard right. Just one week after NOLA, IndyCar is back on the streets of Long Beach.

I see them afraid. I see them insecure. I see them sad. I see them desperate.

The only thing all of them have in common they never let IndyCar in their heart.

They ridicule the thought of a series that races on road courses, street tracks and ovals.

They call it "American GP2". They feel smart because of it. They feel superior to others because of it. They feel more evolved because of it.

But are they happy? Do they feel comfort?

It is a sad, sad life when you do not accept Dear IndyCar into your heart. When you refuse to believe that there is an alternative to F1 that awaits each and every one of us.

ToxicEnvironment, The Paddock Club.

*In the style of Philomena Cunk*

enhanced-1589-1424240889-9.jpg

enhanced-11845-1424241203-17.jpg

But what are IndyCar?

How do you answer a broad a question as that? The simple answer is there is no logical way to explain IndyCar. IndyCar…well, it’s like life. Some days you have a really crappy day. Other days you feel like you can achieve anything. While occasionally there are times when you are left to question what really just happened.

IndyCar, essentially, is brilliant. You just never know what’s going to happen, and just as soon as you think you’ve seen it all, it’ll surprise you. Surprise you in both good, and utterly dreadful, ways.

Where are they racing this weekend?

I thought I made that clear already. Long Beach.

Is it long?

Erm…the track is 1.968 miles in length and features eleven corners. So, not really.

640px-Long_Beach_Street_Circuit.svg.png

Is it a beach?

No.  Among other things the track has never been referred to as include ‘The Zandvoort of America’ and ‘A really good place to host a modern day F1 race’.

Haven’t we been here before, just a couple of weeks ago?

Yes, but that was Formula E, in which Nelson Piquet Jr won. I’ll leave it at that before I end up calling him a dick again…

_l0u7876.jpg

Formula E, presumably.

I missed last weekend’s race. What happened?

Count yourself lucky. Basically, not a lot.

The race started well, with Juan Pablo Montoya leading team mate Will Power on a damp but drying track. Further down the order, Tony Kanaan tried his hand at rallycross, but things remained fairly static at the front.

That was until cars started switching to dry tyres. Tony Kanaan then tried some swamp buggy racing.

2dhioo2.jpg

It looked like such good fun that Sage Karam Gabby Chaves tried it, which didn’t work as well. But thankfully, an international man of mystery came to his aid.

25p49j6.jpg

Unfortunately, this brought a caution out. Which was swiftly followed by another. And another. And another. And another. And another. And guess what? Yep, another. Two of which were caused by the luckless Karam.

The final caution meant the race finished a long time after people had lost the will to live. But it did at least provide one of few talking points of the event.

This race…I mean procession behind the safety car, was ultimately won by James Hinchcliffe. He won, partly because he was one of few drivers not to spin or crash, and partly because he stayed out while others pitted, realising there were likely to be another 53 trillion cautions to come.

Unsurprisingly, the race has been labelled by many as the ‘worst race ever’ and ‘awful’, along with many other comments that aren’t suitable to be repeated on this forum.

2v2wdbr.jpg

Sounds bad. Okay, what happened at this race last year?

You mean you don’t remember?

It was a typical IndyCar race, in which everyone who looked likely to win ended up somehow not winning.

Ryan Hunter-Reay qualified on pole, and dominated much of the race, ahead of James Hinchcliffe. That was until lap 56, when Josef Newgarden rejoined in the lead, following a pit stop. With Hunter-Reay, Hinchcliffe and Power all on his tail, it looked like we were in for a classic finish.

Then this happened.

That promoted Will Power to the lead. But it was Scott Dixon who led the race in the closing stages, till he was forced to make a splash and dash stop, handing the win to Mike Conway.

Also of note was a collision between Power and Pagenaud earlier in the race, which led to a not particularly friendly chat after the race. IndyCar duly reminded us about it for the rest of the season, because, y’know, #INDYRIVALS!

2hy8is0.jpg

I’m new to the series. Talk me through some of the drivers.

Okay, if you insist. This is the current top ten in the championship, in reverse order. Be sure to play this.

10. Simon Pagenaud

Nationality: French

Known for:  People butchering the pronunciation of his name.

Nelson Piquet o-meter (chances of winning): Moderate

Simon (or See-mon, depending on who you talk to) moved to a fourth Penske car for this season. After qualifying on the front row for the first race at St Pete, he finished fifth. Also, (depending on who you talk to) he was either the instigator or innocent party of the crash at NOLA. Has shown good speed, and was quick at Long Beach last year, so should be a contender for victory.

9. Luca Filippi

Nationality: Italian

Known for:  Having raced in GP2 for over half a decade.

Nelson Piquet o-meter: Low

Luca Filippi finally gets a decent shot at IndyCar this year, racing on all the street and road courses on the calendar. Has had a ninth and tenth place finishes in the opening two races, so should be in the top ten this weekend. Could spring a surprise result if there’s anything like the chaos of last year.

8. James Jakes

Nationality: British

Known for: Err…being Hinchcliffe’s team mate?

After a season away, James Jakes is back. I’m sure you’re delighted. His best finish in the series to date has been a second place (thanks Wikipedia!), and last weekend he made it a Schmidt Peterson 1-3 by taking third. His best finish at Long Beach is only an eleventh, so don’t expect a big result.

7. Graham Rahal

Nationality: American

Known for: Raving

The ever present Graham Rahal is still desperately trying to prove he’s more than just a famous surname. Came close to getting back to victory lane last season in Detroit with a second place, but has only managed an eleventh and an eighth in the first two races. Hard to see him doing much better at Long Beach unless Hunter-Reay does a Hunter-Reay thing again.

6. Simona de Silvestro

Nationality: Swiss

Known for: Being a woman.

Simona de Silvestro has returned to IndyCar having spent a year of her life not driving a Formula One car very much for Sauber. Not confirmed for the full season, and at the time of writing, I’ve absolutely no idea if she’ll even be on the grid this weekend. Secured a fourth place at NOLA, so it’d be good to see her back.

5. Tony Kanaan

Nationality: Brazilian

Known for: Looking like Vin Diesel.

Nelson Piquet o-meter: Moderate

As already mentioned, Kanaan had an adventurous time of it at NOLA, but seems to be a lot more at home at Ganassi this season. Finished on the podium at St Pete, the best of the Ganassi cars, and despite his excursions at the previous race recorded a sixth place finish. Will likely to be towards the front again this weekend.

4. James Hinchcliffe

Nationality: Canadian

Known for: Being an online mayor.

After a year away, the ‘Mayor of Hinchtown’ returned to victory lane at NOLA, but didn’t really have to put much effort in to get there seeing as everyone kept crashing. Fortuitous is the best way to describe it, and with him still struggling to get to grips with the Honda aero kit, it’s hard to see him winning again this weekend, despite being quick at Long Beach last year.

3. Will Power

Nationality: Australian

Known for: Flipping people off.

willpdoublefinger.jpg

Nelson Piquet o-meter: High

You never know what Will Power you’re going to get on a race weekend, but it’s a safe bet to expect him to be in contention for victory this weekend. Qualified on pole at St Pete, finished second, and was running in second place behind Montoya at NOLA before things got messy. Was quick at Long Beach last year as well.

2. Helio Castroneves

Nationality: Brazilian

Known for: Having never won the IndyCar championship…too harsh?

The third of four Penske drivers, you can never discount Helio. Has come oh so close to winning the IndyCar series (and a fourth Indy 500 win) in recent years, and is just as motivated as ever. Will have a job to match his three team mates this weekend however, particularly as Long Beach has been something of a tough track for Helio for whatever reason in the last few years.

1. Juan Pablo Montoya

Nationality: Columbian

Known for: Lots of things. Where do you want to start?

Already a winner this year, and was a contender for victory at NOLA too. Juan looks like he’s back in the swing of things now, so expect him to be battling with Power and co at the front of the field this weekend. Also, I deserve likes for this post for not going overboard with the obvious Juan/one puns, right?

Selected others:

13. Ryan Hunter-Reay

Nationality: American

Known for: Causing crashes, according to this post.

Despite the crash he did or didn’t cause at NOLA, expect Hunter-Reay to be strong this weekend. Probably would have won here last year if it wasn’t for a moment of madness, so he’ll be out to right some wrongs.

20. Takuma Sato

Nationality: Japanese

Known for: Being Takuma Sato.

Takuma hasn’t had a great start to the season, only finishing thirteenth at St Pete and retiring at NOLA. But everyone’s favourite (oh come on, he is!) is a former winner here. Won his very first IndyCar race at Long Beach in 2013, so if he can avoid any pile ups (unlike last year) then he may well be in contention again.

24. Francesco Dracone

Known for: Making Pastor Maldonado look like Michael Schumacher.

Nelson Piquet o-meter: Extremely low.

You say Dra-cone, I say Dracone-ey. Point is this guy is so comically bad that I couldn’t help but mention him. Knocked one of his pit crew down at NOLA, so lord only knows what he’ll do this weekend. But no doubt he’ll be a cause for a bit of comedic light relief, or ridicule. Which I guess is the same thing, really.

Thanks! Is there anything else racing here this weekend?

Indeed. Along with Indy Lights and the Pirelli World Challenge, the Tudor United SportsCar Championship makes its annual visit to Long Beach. And good news for anyone who enjoyed the Australian Grand Prix, because only the Prototype and GTLM cars are racing, meaning a grid of just seventeen cars!

Full weekend schedule can be located here: http://www.gplb.com/weekend-schedule/

Will Ed Miliband be watching?

Alas, I suspect not. But we have the next best thing. Patrick Stewart will be giving the command to start engines before the 80 lap race.

patrick_stewart_69362.jpg

Is there anything you’ve forgotten to tell me?

Probably. But no doubt the friendly folk who normally visit these here IndyCar threads will inform you of anything else if I have.

This Q&A format has been terribly overused for these threads.

I agree. My sincerest apologies.

Phew! At that…it’s time for IndyCar madness again! Hope any first time viewers (doubtful, after that train wreck of last weekend, but you never know) who join us enjoy it. And remember…

What the **** just happened?

IndyCar.

IndyCar happened.

(Yes, I just quoted myself. How douchey can you get?)

Edited by JHSingo, 14 April 2015 - 11:12.

Advertisement

#2 Peat

Peat

• 8,799 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 21:44

Excellent OP, you're ascension to the AtlasF1/Autosport Hall of Fame is assured.

#3 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 21:51

Guess I'll throw in some onboards:

The driver of the #98 is Gabby Chaves, by the way. Easy to confuse with similar car colours though.

Edited by Prost1997T, 13 April 2015 - 21:53.

#4 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 21:58

Also, I deserve likes for this post for not going overboard with the obvious Juan/one puns, right?

Oh go on then have a like. :up:

Great OP! :)

It's going to be a busy weekend of Motorsport then with F1, Gp2, BTCC, moto gp and indycar!

#5 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:04

Oh hell yeah.
Jp

#6 stewie

stewie

• 3,553 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:54

Oh yes, the boy did good!!

#7 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 23:04

Good OP, makes me actually want to watch the race. I'll just watch the crashes on Youtube, that will pretty much cover the same ground...

#8 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,125 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 00:26

Fantastic OP! :clap:

This was the race that got me back into Indycar in 2013. When I heard Sato was on pole, I had no choice but to watch. And then he was actually doing well, and then he was leading, and then he was in with a shot and then he won and then I was Indycar.

It was a weekend to remember.

I will have a relative in Long Beach this weekend who might be working the race. Am looking forward to hearing about what it's like out there in Cali.

Also, will have to be sure to keep an eye on The Chosen Juan this weekend.

Yeah, I just went there. Sue me.

tumblr_ljmqpm9PA61qeqkw3.gif

Edited by Afterburner, 14 April 2015 - 00:28.

#9 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 00:33

Op - 10/10

#10 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 00:41

Great onboards.
More racing less crashing, please.

#11 SKL

SKL

• 1,404 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:23

I predict lots of yellows again,  and lots of carbon fiber rabbit ears littering the track... again...

#12 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:55

I don't I'll do as good a job as redstick did last weekend, but I'll try to get some stuff on here from the track. Thursday - Monday at the beach, a nice change from the desert....and the swamp.

Edit: Beauty, JH!

Edited by whitewaterMkII, 14 April 2015 - 03:56.

#13 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,699 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:51

Excellent OP  :up: Had my right from the Platocorn.

Will Sir Patrick give the command to start engines in the traditional way, or will he simple ask the field to "make it so!"?

#14 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,314 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:54

Karam was in car number 8, he had enough problems without also being called the driver in the Gabby Chavez incident that brought out a corner worker, not an "international man of mystery."

#15 Christbiscuit

Christbiscuit

• 354 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:07

It was a typical IndyCar race, in which everyone who looked likely to win ended up somehow not winning.

:lol:  Indycar has never been summed up quite so well.

#16 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:13

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it.

Hope it was as much fun to read as it was to write. :)

#17 king_crud

king_crud

• 7,964 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:46

how long does a beach have to be before it's regarded as long?

#18 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:49

Great OP, the race has a lot to live up to now, especially after NOLA.

#19 stewie

stewie

• 3,553 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:49

I do love Long Beach, one of my favourite tracks and races. Going to my brother in laws 30th bday meal on Sunday so hopefully be able to catch most of the race afterwards! 

BT Sport 2 with a 9.30pm UK time kick off I believe.

Advertisement

#20 Morbus

Morbus

• 489 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:58

I don't watch Indycar and every time I try to it's always pathetic. Don't they have yellow flags? Red flags? Safety car? Run offs? Decent drivers?

That video was pathetic.

#21 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,125 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 13:05

how long does a beach have to be before it's regarded as long?

You mean, 'how long must a long beach be before a long beach can be long'? :p

#22 Peat

Peat

• 8,799 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 13:09

You mean, 'how long must a long beach be before a long beach can be long'? :p

Anything over 1hr45 is deemed 'Too long' by ICS. 

#23 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,115 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 13:30

Hey JH, I just spat beer on my laptop. Great ****ing OP.

We will never know who that dude was who helped Gabby get on the track. This makes me sad.

#24 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 14:10

Look at him.... It's Rick Hendrick.
Jp

#25 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 14:22

I don't watch Indycar and every time I try to it's always pathetic. Don't they have yellow flags? Red flags? Safety car? Run offs? Decent drivers?

That video was pathetic.

I would class Juan Pablo Montoya as more than decent (why am I responding to a troll...)

#26 stewie

stewie

• 3,553 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 14:24

That video was pathetic.

Well they do have all of those items, especially the decent drivers bit.

Don't judge the series on one god awful race.

#27 paulb

paulb

• 11,158 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 14:42

Brilliant OP, JHSingo! I mean Plato and swamp buggies; only IndyCar could spawn that inspiration!

I did learn there is a Turn 12, right after the hairpin. That is where my tentative home for the weekend.  I'll report when I can.

#28 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 15:14

Well they do have all of those items, especially the decent drivers bit.

Don't judge the series on one god awful race.

The trolls are out in force. It seems as if they forgot the first race of the season for F1

#29 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,199 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 15:33

The trolls are out in force. It seems as if they forgot the first race of the season for F1

No, that's the pattern. The worse the F1 race, the more issues it has, the more the fanboys supporters have to dump on Indycar or NASCAR or anything that isn't F1.

The precipitous fall of their beloved leaves them feeling confused and emasculated, so they do the only thing they know to do, lash out :D

This makes them feel better about themselves and about the ultimate form of racing on the planet.

Edited by Jim Thurman, 14 April 2015 - 15:34.

#30 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 15:50

That video was pathetic.

You don't watch Indycar and every time you try .... hmm does that mean you have your eyes closed? 

#31 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 15:56

This makes them feel better about themselves and about the ultimate form of racing on the planet.

But it is the ultimate form of racing. It's unpredictable, always close, extremely safe, earth friendly and anyone has a chance to win.

Oh wait...

#32 paulb

paulb

• 11,158 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 16:00

Could you guys please stop, next thing you know there will be an F1 vs IndyCar thread that will break the interweb.   :p :p

#33 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 16:05

Indycar is worse than F1 in every way. 

Problem solved 

Those of us who has seen the light can stay. 

#34 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 16:16

You don't watch Indycar and every time you try .... hmm does that mean you have your eyes closed?

Eh, these non-viewers sure like their hyperbole. I had a watch of that Sao Paulo race, and reviewed the safety car interventions.

3 were for stopped cars on the track with a mechanical problem. 1 was for a single car accident. 1 for a piece of carbon fibre. 1 was for a 2-car accident and 1 for a multi-car accident. So only 2 major incidents on a very tight street circuit over 190 miles with 25 relatively wide cars. I don't see that as "pathetic" or abnormal, considering we usually see multiple incidents and sometimes red flags at F1's tightest track (Monaco). The safety car procedure is another discussion.

Edited by Prost1997T, 14 April 2015 - 16:16.

#35 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 17,860 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 16:34

Mechanic thrown up in the air by Francesco Dracone in Nola
https://www.youtube....uH2oG0jDw8#t=38

#36 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,314 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 16:37

Saavedra in for Karam at Long Beach (plus a fifth car at the "500"); let the meltdown begin:

http://www.indycar.c...-for-Long-Beach

Edited by B Squared, 14 April 2015 - 16:39.

#37 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 16:38

24. Francesco Dracone

Known for: Making Pastor Maldonado look like Michael Schumacher.

Nelson Piquet o-meter: Extremely low.

You say Dra-cone, I say Dracone-ey. Point is this guy is so comically bad that I couldn’t help but mention him. Knocked one of his pit crew down at NOLA, so lord only knows what he’ll do this weekend. But no doubt he’ll be a cause for a bit of comedic light relief, or ridicule. Which I guess is the same thing, really.

Edited by LuckyStrike1, 14 April 2015 - 16:41.

#38 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,085 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 16:43

Saavedra in for Karam at Long Beach (plus a fifth car at the "500"); let the meltdown begin:

That's probably fair; Karam hasn't looked comfortable the past few races. A few races out might be what he needs to calm down and focus.

#39 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 16:56

IndyCar falcon punches Snormula 1 in nearly every conceivable benchmark of being a spectacle, i.e. something that was reasonably exciting to watch, and more interesting for you to stream on your computer at 5 in the afternoon on a Sunday when you, like me, could've been spending that time otherwise enjoying yourself by improving your life, helping your fellow man or perhaps digging around inside your own anus with rusty steak knife.

Having said that... hands up. Who here is getting a little sick of defending this ****? By "****" I mean IndyCar yellowfests, and by "defending" I mean wasting your time telling F1 people "It's not always like this?".  I try my best to be optimistic and I get impatient with people who seem to think any race that didn't feature a last-lap battle for 1st was boring, but NOLA didn't have an any-lap battle for anything out there on that aqueous ribbon of tarmac. Sure, there were fights: I've got to think the left and right sides of the alleged brain belonging to the man/hero who ran onto the track to rescue Gabby Chaves from the gators was a fight to behold. I'm sure there was a decent scrap unfolding somewhere in the field when Ryan Hunter-Reay wrecked the last lap (of green...). But I've defs had enough of trying to defend the endless parade of yellow flags IndyCar throws out. IndyCar races don't always go like NOLA but the yellow flag carousels certainly do.

A question for people who remember more things and do less drugs than I do: is it me or does IndyCar seem to feel it's necessary to extend every caution period to give teams a chance to pit? It certainly feels that way. Every time some stiff is parked out there in the kitty litter, cleaning the dust off his visor and nervously smacking his back pocket to make sure his chequebook is still there, it seems there is a lap of full-course yellow to collect the car (should usually be a local yellow, but fine, whatever), but then 3 or 4 or 5 more laps of yellow to allow everyone to pit. Am I out of my mind or is racing not supposed to work like this? If it takes one lap to clean up the mess, clean it up and GO GREEN! I don't give two shits if the leader hasn't pitted in 38 laps and might not make it to the end. I don't care who got ****ed-over with bad pit strategy and unlucky yellow timing. THAT IS RACING. Bad luck for them. I put money on Pagenaud to finish ahead of Power and Bourdais to win: in one single incident both of my bets were completely destroyed by RHR. TOUGH TITTIES. Maybe it means Luca Filippi or Jack Hawksworth steal a race win from the big boys once in a while. GOOD. Huertas winning in Texas didn't destroy anything but Colombian bookies.

Sometimes a race is just **** and there's not much you can do about it. But finding a way to ensure that Sage Karam putting his car in the grass for the third time today is not a six lap yellow is surely within our grasp, even if it means replacing him for Long Beach with Sebastian Saavedra for no other reason than because there's no point in throwing a full-course caution for car in the sea.

Advertisement

#40 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,699 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 17:12

And I only got to make one Sage the Owl joke  :(

sage.jpg

But reading the article seems to suggest that it has something to do with Californian sponsorship as much as anything.

A question for people who remember more things and do less drugs than I do: is it me or does IndyCar seem to feel it's necessary to extend every caution period to give teams a chance to pit? It certainly feels that way. Every time some stiff is parked out there in the kitty litter, cleaning the dust off his visor and nervously smacking his back pocket to make sure his chequebook is still there, it seems there is a lap of full-course yellow to collect the car (should usually be a local yellow, but fine, whatever), but then 3 or 4 or 5 more laps of yellow to allow everyone to pit. Am I out of my mind or is racing not supposed to work like this? If it takes one lap to clean up the mess, clean it up and GO GREEN! I don't give two shits if the leader hasn't pitted in 38 laps and might not make it to the end. I don't care who got ****ed-over with bad pit strategy and unlucky yellow timing. THAT IS RACING. Bad luck for them. I put money on Pagenaud to finish ahead of Power and Bourdais to win: in one single incident both of my bets were completely destroyed by RHR. TOUGH TITTIES. Maybe it means Luca Filippi or Jack Hawksworth steal a race win from the big boys once in a while. GOOD. Huertas winning in Texas didn't destroy anything but Colombian bookies.

Sometimes a race is just shit and there's not much you can do about it. But finding a way to ensure that Sage Karam putting his car in the grass for the third time today is not a six lap yellow is surely within our grasp, even if it means replacing him for Long Beach with Sebastian Saavedra for no other reason than because there's no point in throwing a full-course caution for car in the sea.

Yes I think that is exactly the problem. They're more concerned with getting the entire field fuelled up and ready than with getting the race back underway. The worst at NOLA was when Coletti (I think) spun, carried on and they still kept the yellows out for a few laps for no real reason.

#41 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 17:14

any word yet on Simona?

#42 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 17:17

any word yet on Simona?

She's still listed in the Fantasy League picks for Long Beach.

#43 karl100589

karl100589

• 330 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 17:18

Well that sucks

Edited by karl100589, 14 April 2015 - 17:28.

#44 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 17:23

And I only got to make one Sage the Owl joke  :(

sage.jpg

But reading the article seems to suggest that it has something to do with Californian sponsorship as much as anything.

Yes I think that is exactly the problem. They're more concerned with getting the entire field fuelled up and ready than with getting the race back underway. The worst at NOLA was when Coletti (I think) spun, carried on and they still kept the yellows out for a few laps for no real reason.

I seem to remember that they waited for everyone to pit before they called a full course. 

One other thing I have to add here is that I've just retired from construction after doing it for 30 years. Pettibone lifts are NOT expensive to rent for a few days, tight ass promoters should have a LOT more Pettibones at the track for removing cars, and they should have spots to just drop the cars. I saw they going 100 yards through mud with a car swing wildly and was thinking what a bunch of morons, just extend the boom and drop it over the wall, done. IC should specify that a certain number of lifts and where they are spotted, and designated drop zones for the cars so they get out of the way stat.

Here is the link to Pettibones, there are a lot available with more than enough capacity to swing and drop those lightweight cars anywhere they choose.

http://www.gopettibone.com/products/

#45 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 17:29

Re the yellows - and just to play Devil's advocate - we're not shown exactly what's going on. TV follows them for half a lap, cuts away for five minutes of ads, comes back, runs a piece of VT as a filler, cuts back to the cars live for ten seconds, gives us a shot of the guy with the flag ("we'll be going green next time round"), sticks in another two minutes of ads and then comes back live when they're 20 seconds from restart.

So we don't know how long it took to move the car(s), how long it took to get them off the track to somewhere safe, how long it took to get all the rescue vehicles and marshals clear and back to their stations, how many corner workers were out on other parts of the circuit with brushes removing mud and bits of carbon fibre ...

Just sayin'. :)

#46 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 17:44

Let me put it this way, the corner workers and retrieval crews need to be every bit as orchestrated and quick as the pit crews are, and they don't seem even close to that now. And that goes for NASCAR, too.

#47 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,314 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 17:45

Regarding whitewater's suggestion; in either 1997 or 1998 at Road America CART decided to use Wisconsin-built Gehl loaders for the purpose of dropping spun, damaged or stranded cars over the rail in the common style of Formula One. If I remember correctly, this was a one-time deal because of negative feedback, mainly from the teams. I personally think that if you spin off and stall or get stuck, game over.   

#48 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,807 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 17:53

i wonder if there will be another traffic jam at that hairpin this week

#49 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 18:01

i wonder if there will be another traffic jam at that hairpin this week

Oh yeah, but that will the second one, first it will be at the fountain.

#50 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 18:32

Let me put it this way, the corner workers and retrieval crews need to be every bit as orchestrated and quick as the pit crews are, and they don't seem even close to that now. And that goes for NASCAR, too.

Perhaps they are. Just speculating here, but maybe the official in the pace car has to report that he's completed a whole lap and that there are no 'mobile hazards' visible anywhere within the track limits? In which case even though the problem might have been cleared within two laps, the pace car would complete a third as a safety check and then a fourth before the green flag is waved.