Photo
* * * - - 5 votes

Hamilton criticised for spraying grid girl with champagne.

• Please log in to reply
350 replies to this topic

#1 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:03

Roz Hardie, chief executive of Object, a campaign on media sexism and 'sex object culture', said: 'The photographs appear to show that the woman is not just being splashed, but that the champagne is being very specifically directed into her face, which does not look like a voluntary piece of horseplay on her part.

'If this if the case we think Lewis Hamilton should apologise for his actions and think carefully about how he behaves in the future. For most people, it would be apparent that she is not enjoying it.

'It is surely a very difficult position to be a grid girl and she would have had little option but to stand there and take it. That is something of which he should be aware. But instead, he appears to have abused her position.

'It's unfortunate that a great victory has been marred by what appears to be selfish and inconsiderate behaviour.'

Ms Hardie added that the episode highlighted the more general issue of women being viewed as sexual objects in the motoring world.

She said: 'Motor racing appears to unnecessarily portray women as sexualised objects and that probably makes it even harder for the women to stand up for themselves. We would hope people in the industry would be respectful to these women.

On Twitter, Hamilton was described as a 'bully' and 'disgusting'. Another user simply said: 'Man please stop spraying Champagne on the Podium Ladies. They don't like it', while one outraged user said he was a 'scumbag - an embarrassment to UK'.

Another wrote: 'Have a bit more respect for the ladies please. Spraying Champagne in her face was out of order #child #idiot.'

And one tweeted: 'Shame on you F1 and Lewis Hamilton for disgraceful treatment of women during champagne celebration. #sexism.'

http://www.dailymail...x.html#comments

I'm surprised it took this long before Object and its supporters turned their eyes towards F1 and motorsport in general.

Why Hamilton is getting the stick alone is interesting, though, as other drivers have done before.

Edited by Doughnut King, 13 April 2015 - 22:07.

Advertisement

#2 schumimercamg

schumimercamg

• 415 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:07

What a load of crap. They bloody love it.

#3 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:12

I am so bored of media outlets quoting people on twitter, a random person called LH a scumbag, so effing what?

Also a bit confused about how this is sexist (as mentioned in another paper) or sexualising given that he also got Nico and Vettel in the face.

Lastly, this happens all the time and generally everyone seems to take it in high spirits.

#4 JuanPablo

JuanPablo

• 237 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:12

Well the Daily Mail..... Enough said. Wouldn't wipe my backside with that paper.

#5 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:14

Criticised by nobodies.

#6 Scuderia312

Scuderia312

• 135 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:15

Oh come on guys...

#7 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:16

Leave it to the bikers to do the job properly

8596090264_84fb23d12b_c.jpg

Luis Salom celebrates his podium finish by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

#8 JuanPablo

JuanPablo

• 237 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:17

With that level of gutter journalism, why would Hamilton ever want to live in the UK again. Feel for the fella, because people will form their opinion of him based on this.

#9 ANF

ANF

• 29,529 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:18

15361.jpg

#10 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:20

You can clearly see that Vettel is purposefully directing the champagne to the top of Jackie Stewart's head.

It's just another episode in the endless saga of objectifying Scotsmen of respectable age, and by a German no less.

:down: :stoned:

#11 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:21

That's absolute nonsense.  Sexism has nothing to do with it, anyone within range, man, woman or child will generally get sprayed.  I've seen the camera's get it and in Aus I think Lewis may have got some of the spectators watching from above the garages, that were close by and on the same level as the podium.

#12 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,587 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:22

Oh please...

#13 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:23

Criticised by nobodies.

Object aren't nobodies. They managed to get lads' mags covered up in supermarkets and campaigned successfully to require Sexual Entertainment Venues (strip clubs) to be licensed, subsequently managing to use the system to convince many councils to outright forbid such places.

They have the ear of powerful people.

Edited by Doughnut King, 14 April 2015 - 22:24.

#14 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:23

"Twitter is like talking to yourself in a crowded room"

The political correctness brigade should get lost sooner rather than later and stop sanitizing and Gender mainstreaming every bit of fun that's left out there.

Edited by Jovanotti, 13 April 2015 - 22:25.

#15 Xeriks

Xeriks

• 1,131 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:25

Absolute nonsense, the drivers spray anyone that's within range of the podium, it just happened to be a female this time.

#16 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:25

"Is it coz I'm..."

mark-webber-playing-jokes-with-pit-girls

#17 ANF

ANF

• 29,529 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:27

You can clearly see that Vettel is purposefully directing the champagne to the top of Jackie Stewart's head.

It's just another episode in the endless saga of objectifying Scotsmen of respectable age, and by a German no less.

:down: :stoned:

Sir Jackie Stewart OBE!!!

#18 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,567 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:29

these moral priests of the new church with their feminism/antisexism or whatever, who want to be good and get likes on facebook/twitter and their objections about things that makes life worthwile and people having fun

#19 Mendel

Mendel

• 343 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:30

Do we really need grid girls in the first place? What if there were handsome gay men standing there for the sole purpose of looking gay? Or very masculine body builders standing there just for the sake of looking like a boss :rotfl:

I just dont get it. If I want to look at pretty women, I can surely find them outside of motorsport. Is there a market for bachelors who only want to see Formula 1 because there are pretty ladies in the podium and on the grid before start?

Who I would rather see on the podium instead of grid girls? The engineers! (those that aren´t asleep by the end of the race)

Bring on the guys (and gals?) who changed the tires, the guys who worked on the car all night, the real heroes behind the car!

And then you can spread all the champagne on them that you have!

Edited by Mendel, 13 April 2015 - 22:33.

Advertisement

#20 SylvesterDiResta

SylvesterDiResta

• 93 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:31

That this 'story' broke today is a bit ironic given its Dan Gurney's birthday

Edited by SylvesterDiResta, 13 April 2015 - 22:33.

#21 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:37

"Is it coz I'm..."

mark-webber-playing-jokes-with-pit-girls

Funny that there happened to be a camera focused directly on this young woman and her white top after the champagne spraying...

#22 doc83

doc83

• 935 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:38

Do we really need grid girls in the first place? What if there were handsome gay men standing there for the sole purpose of looking gay? Or very masculine body builders standing there just for the sake of looking like a boss :rotfl:

I just dont get it. If I want to look at pretty women, I can surely find them outside of motorsport. Is there a market for bachelors who only want to see Formula 1 because there are pretty ladies in the podium and on the grid before start?

Who I would rather see on the podium instead of grid girls? The engineers! (those that aren´t asleep by the end of the race)

Bring on the guys (and gals?) who changed the tires, the guys who worked on the car all night, the real heroes behind the car!

Leave people alone!

A lot of young girls love the job because they get paid very well for 1-2 days of work. But of course you know better what’s good for them and you’d rather see them sweat in McDonalds for the entire month for the same money.  Again…. leave people alone!

#23 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,685 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:40

What a load of crap. They bloody love it.

Indeed. 

So...is it sexism against men when drivers spray other drivers or teammates? 

What a load of horseshit. This is an attention grab. Nothing more.

#24 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

I can't help feeling that this happening at the same time WEC ditched their grid girls isn't a coincidence. Perhaps Object got wind of that and therefore decided to play close attention to F1 with Hamilton delivering them a story straight away.

#25 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Roz Hardie, chief executive of Object, a campaign on media sexism and 'sex object culture', said: 'The photographs appear to show that the woman is not just being splashed, but that the champagne is being very specifically directed into her face, which does not look like a voluntary piece of horseplay on her part.

Oh I agree

When Lewis squirted Jackie Stewart in the face with champaign a few races ago, I was offended. I am sick of men being treated in this way.

On Twitter, Hamilton was described as a 'bully' and 'disgusting'. Another user simply said: 'Man please stop spraying Champagne on the Podium Ladies. They don't like it', while one outraged user said he was a 'scumbag - an embarrassment to UK'.

I hate people sometimes.

Edited by sennafan24, 13 April 2015 - 22:41.

#26 pRy

pRy

• 26,345 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:42

This appears to be a nice example of a story the Daily Mail have created themselves. I imagine someone in their office was looking at the photos of the podium and happened to notice that one of the podium girls had been sprayed (bizarrely not realising this happens pretty much every race) and decided to give a well known feminist group a call to gather some quote material.. then headed over to twitter to collect a couple more quotes and hey presto.. a news item to take up the main headline to avoid having to talk about Ed Miliband and Labour.

They even went back and edited in some additional twitter quotes that only appeared in response to the original article. So their "outrage" was a result of their own fictional "outrage".

Edited by pRy, 13 April 2015 - 22:42.

#27 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:43

You know if they had a rule that women could never be involved in the podium celebrations the Daily Mail readers would just complain about women not being allowed to join in.

Those kinds of people will never be happy.

#28 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,923 posts

http://www.dailymail...x.html#comments

I'm surprised it took this long before Object and its supporters turned their eyes towards F1 and motorsport in general.

Why Hamilton is getting the stick alone is interesting, though, as other drivers have done before.

Oh for crying out loud, the offendatrons are out in force again.

#29 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,923 posts

You know if they had a rule that women could never be involved in the podium celebrations the Daily Mail readers would just complain about women not being allowed to join in.

Those kinds of people will never be happy.

Expect nothing less from the Daily Wail

#30 Lemans

Lemans

• 2,739 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:44

**** off!

#31 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:46

:rotfl:

#32 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:51

The mindset of the twitter commentators

b4f.jpg

#33 Kobasmashi

Kobasmashi

• 734 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:52

Even for the Daily Mail's standards this "article" is something special! Hahahahaha

#34 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 1,065 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:53

Hurrah-for-the-Blackshirts.jpg

this is who the daily mail are. never let them forget and never forgive. the DNA of that publication is infected with hatred from top to bottom.

every word they utter is tainted with the sinister shadow of violent oppression. thanks the countless who sacrificed their lives to ensure that these monster never gained control of our country. they were to be the mouth pieces of moseley's vichy government and they haven't changed. never forget.

#35 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:55

This is my favourite Daily Mail article - http://www.dailymail...really-are.html

#36 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 22:55

Even for the Daily Mail's standards this "article" is something special! Hahahahaha

What interests me is that the Object group could be considered a politically correct organisation, something the Mail would usually dislike. Similarly, I can't imagine Object being particularly chuffed with the Mail's daily focus on women in various states of undress. Why do they give credence to an organisation that is from an outsider's view an enemy? Was kicking Hamilton while he's on an upswing worth it?

#37 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 23:01

I think it's rather insulting of Object to think that somebody who takes a job which involves being glamorous on the podium at a Grand Prix, might not be aware that the drivers tend to go a bit mad with the champagne. In fact I'd go so far as to say this is a crass attempt to get their press release into the papers, when it might otherwise have been deemed by most publications to be too boring and predictable to be worth covering, by inserting Lewis Hamilton's name into it and trying to whip up a controversy out of somebody getting sprayed with champagne, which is a potential talking point of the kind low-rent radio phone-ins would lap up, when the real issue they have is the more serious but less tabloid-friendly one of women being used purely and simply as decorations in a male dominated sport.

I have a lot of sympathy with them on the general issue, and given the option, I wouldn't have grid girls or podium girls in motorsport. But the issue of people being sprayed without their consent is almost too petty and stupid to engage with; that will happen on a motor racing podium and everyone concerned must be aware of that. The podium girls may not have the option to leave the podium once they're there, but they do have the option not to go up there in the first place if they have a particular aversion to being sprayed with sparkling wine.

#38 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 23:07

Jeez, read the comments under the article...

#39 Redzone

Redzone

• 318 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 23:12

I think it's rather insulting of Object to think that somebody who takes a job which involves being glamorous on the podium at a Grand Prix, might not be aware that the drivers tend to go a bit mad with the champagne. In fact I'd go so far as to say this is a crass attempt to get their press release into the papers, when it might otherwise have been deemed by most publications to be too boring and predictable to be worth covering, by inserting Lewis Hamilton's name into it and trying to whip up a controversy out of somebody getting sprayed with champagne, which is a potential talking point of the kind low-rent radio phone-ins would lap up, when the real issue they have is the more serious but less tabloid-friendly one of women being used purely and simply as decorations in a male dominated sport.

I have a lot of sympathy with them on the general issue, and given the option, I wouldn't have grid girls or podium girls in motorsport. But the issue of people being sprayed without their consent is almost too petty and stupid to engage with; that will happen on a motor racing podium and everyone concerned must be aware of that. The podium girls may not have the option to leave the podium once they're there, but they do have the option not to go up there in the first place if they have a particular aversion to being sprayed with sparkling wine.

well, if you can't spray the royalty such as in Monaco or Britain, or in those other countries, why get to spray the sweet girls??

Except I think it adds a touch of NASCAR to what is otherwise becoming more and more boring.  Bernie approves, no doubt, since he thinks of women as appliances ...

Advertisement

#40 Briz

Briz

• 453 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 23:20

I don't understand, what is he supposed to spray her with?

#41 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,960 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 23:22

This has been going on for years, in multiple forms of motorsport.

Why is it suddenly now an issue?

What is clear is that people these days will find a way to complain about absolutely bloody anything.

#42 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 23:26

What is clear is that people these days will find a way to complain about absolutely bloody anything.

The Mail are very clever and know exactly what they are doing (in general, not just with this story!). And the place is a moral vacuum.

I hope Lewis or someone at Merc prints out a copy of this and throws it down in front of the daily mail F1 journo and asks him what he thinks (in fairness, probably nothing to do with him).

#43 hollowstar

hollowstar

• 2,256 posts

So what has Lewis not yet been criticized for? Global warming?

#44 Redzone

Redzone

• 318 posts

I don't understand, what is he supposed to spray her with?

Hummmm....well  :confused:   my mind wonders where :kiss:  it should not.. :smoking: ...

Oh, I know, a quart bottle of diet Pepsi, like in NASCAR style.  :rolleyes:

OTOH, I always thought this was a waste of good booze

#45 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

So what has Lewis not yet been criticized for? Global warming?

The Mail will probably tell you that Global Warming is a myth! :D

#46 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 23:27

I just thought I'd add this to the thread. 

Edited by CountDooku, 13 April 2015 - 23:31.

#47 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 23:30

I don't think we've heard the last of this. Object are like a dog with a bone.

#48 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 23:30

Because if you make this story when Mark Webber does it you don't have a story. Make it about Lewis Hamilton and wheels start turning. 

#49 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 23:33

It's almost like there's a secret society trying to rustle up stories to ensure Hamilton is always smeared, albeit in such a pathetic manner.

He has destroyed every myth/somewhat credible criticism ever put forth to him, every single one.

#50 Blackmamba

Blackmamba

• 329 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 23:35

much ado about nothing!