Photo
- - - - -

Raikkonens retirement looms: A wasted talent?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Graveltrappen

Graveltrappen

• 1,261 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 19:59

Many laud Kimis 'don't give a ****' attitude and think it's been refreshing. However, as his re-retirement looms, is it this attitude that has ultimately cost him the chance to make a bigger impact on F1.

Okay, he has the 2007 title, scooped as Hamilton and Alonso fought to trip each other up from a title that either of them should have easily won.

I saw a picture taken in China, as the drivers parade bus went past a grandstand full of Finnish fans, all waving flags and cheering. Okay maybe some were for Bottas, but every driver was facing them and waving back... Except one. Kimi made a point of facing away from the crowd and starting at the pit lane instead... That to me isn't 'cool' or whatever Kimi thinks of himself as... That to me is just plain rude, but hey ho. 'Refreshing rude' probz

Could/should Raikkonen have won more considering the great hype around his talent from his sauber days? Back then many proclaimed him as the next 'Flying Finn' who would surpass Hakkinens talents and records.

Advertisement

#2 Guizotia

Guizotia

• 1,633 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 20:01

I think this threads retirement looms.

#3 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 20:04

I personally don't like him but I don't see how his personality has hindered his on track performance.

Quality driver but just not elite. Still the guy has a trophy room and a saving account he should be proud of. Good for him.  :up:

#4 tmekt

tmekt

• 1,254 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 20:05

I think the most interesting question is how quickly this thread is going to be locked.

#5 Graveltrappen

Graveltrappen

• 1,261 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 20:07

I personally don't like him but I don't see how his personality has hindered his on track performance.

Quality driver but just not elite. Still the guy has a trophy room and a saving account he should be proud of. Good for him. :up:

Of course, no denying that. I just wonder if he had a mentality more like Schumacher or perhaps Vettel would he have needed to spend some of that dosh on a bigger trophy room.

Like I said though, he probably doesn't give a ****... Just I remember him coming into F1 in the same style as verstappen with little car races under his belt and blowing everyone away wth his speed.

Maybe in 14 years we'll say the same about Max Verstappen too. I guess f1 is littered with guys who never quite realised their full potential.

#6 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,456 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 20:09

We have also taken the decision to ban the general driver threads.

Perhaps when he does retire or announces as such we can discuss it.