Photo
- - - - -

Number one status - who's got it?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Poll: Number one status - who's got it? (140 member(s) have cast votes)

Who's got number one status?

1. Hamilton (31 votes [15.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.82%

2. Alonso (54 votes [27.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.55%

3. Vettel (58 votes [29.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.59%

4. Another driver (state below) (6 votes [3.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.06%

5. None (47 votes [23.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.98%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 19:29

http://www.grandprix...s/ns30588.html?

Hamilton seems convinced that both Vettel and Alonso have number one status within their teams.

What do we think? 

Personally I don't think either do and it's just Hamilton out to justify his Mercedes WDCs (as it's looking good so far this year too), his comments about Vettel winning in a dominant car perhaps coming back to haunt him. If pushed I might say Alonso while at Renault for the second time or Hamilton while driving alongside Kovalainen was the last time this may have happened.

Advertisement

#2 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 19:36

These 3 earn their number one status on the track and dont need tu put that written in the contract, Lewis was trolling IMO. Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton and Raikkonen are the elite group of drivers.

#3 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 19:40

Didnt Ted mention in FP1 that Vettel has something bout #1 in his contract with Ferrari?

#4 hollowstar

hollowstar

• 2,190 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 19:44

I thought what Lewis said was obvious to everyone.

Fernando was being challenged by Trulli and Trulli was replaced. He was challenged by Lewis and ran away after 1 year (out of 3...) because equal treatment didn't suit him. When Massa was about to win in Hockenheim, he had to hand the win to Fernando.

Vettel was always RB's prodigal son. Sometimes had parts removed from Mark's car fitted onto his car when they were running short.

It's pretty obvious both have benefitted from this status.

#5 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 19:47

Vettel was always RB's prodigal son. Sometimes had parts removed from Mark's car fitted onto his car when they were running short.

Multi-21 disproves that Vettel had #1 status at RBR. If he did, the whole thing wouldn't have happened at all. 

#6 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 19:49

Fernando was being challenged by Trulli and Trulli was replaced. He was challenged by Lewis and ran away after 1 year (out of 3...) because equal treatment didn't suit him. When Massa was about to win in Hockenheim, he had to hand the win to Fernando.

And you believe both currently have number one status within their respective teams?

#7 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 19:51

Multi-21 disproves that Vettel had #1 status at RBR. If he did, the whole thing wouldn't have happened at all. 

And if he had that in the contract Ricci would never beat him last year in the way he did.

#8 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 19:52

None, Hamilton was just talking ****.

#9 NateF

NateF

• 3,869 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 19:56

Every single driver on the grid has it, they just don't know their teammate has it, sweet harmony

#10 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 20:05

I can officially confirm my wife has #1 status.

#11 redraven9

redraven9

• 614 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 20:10

In the current grid, none.

Previously: Vettel

Alo (by performance)

#12 Elba

Elba

• 318 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 20:11

As Lewis is usually wrong about everything that doesn't involve him driving the car this is probably not true.

Alonso and Vettel command(ed) #1 status on track no need to put that in writing.

Best I can make of this is Lewis sulking about Mercedes refusing to give him #1 status.

#13 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 21:59

It's quite common for people and pundits to speculate about "#1 status" in teams but when it's earned it's not a problem. Teams aren't going to give a driver #1 status if it means losing races and possibly championships. I don't think any of the teams that have competed for titles the last few years operate a clear #1 status, but instead the team interests make it look that way because they usually have a dominant driver.

Ferrari: Schumacher obliged to move over for Irvine Malaysia 1999. Massa moves over for Kimi in late 2007. Kimi returns the favour in China the following year. Alonso wouldn't have been kept behind Massa for so long in Melbourne or Hockenheim if there was a clear #1 status.

Mercedes: Spa and other incidents wouldn't have happend with a clear #1 status

Red Bull: As rasul and kimster89 pointed out, refer to Multi 21 and Ricciardio beating Vettel in 2014.

McLaren: No evidence for or against beyond speculation that suits fan agendas or psychological games between drivers.

#14 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 22:11

All it does is demonstrate a scenario in which he did NOT have #1 status.

Who knows how elaborate the contracts are and what they predict and prevent?

#15 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 22:19

Why would Vettel even need #1 status in his contract when he beat Webber without it? Unless you're claiming that RBR gave a young nobody #1 status in 2008, which is completely unbelievable. 

And if Vettel had #1 clause in his contract, 2014 would have never happened. 

#16 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 22:23

Most suspicious seems ALO at Ferrari 2010-2014. Massa was given the order much sooner than in other circumstances (2007 for example); it was not a championship decider. And there was the previous history of ALO at McLaren, which makes it more likely that he went to Ferrari with the intention of avoiding a repeat of that. FA's attitude at China 2010 also was a show of prepotence hinting at his team status.

#17 OO7

OO7

• 23,378 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 22:40

As Lewis is usually wrong about everything that doesn't involve him driving the car this is probably not true.

Alonso and Vettel command(ed) #1 status on track no need to put that in writing.

Best I can make of this is Lewis sulking about Mercedes refusing to give him #1 status.

This.

I remember back in 2013 Ross Brawn being interviewed about hiring Lewis.  He mentioned Lewis pleading with him desperately for No.1 status, promising the former Mercedes team principal top of the line fishing gear, including electrically heated waders and exclusive homing-guided, self propelled, echo locating lures.  Brawn was so tempted that he initially excepted the offer, but retracted moments later as 'common sense, fairness and duty prevailed'.  Lewis was still seen crying 28 days later!

#18 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 00:11

"Number 1 status" is a big load of crap and has always been. If you're quicker and you're ahead in the standings most teams will hang your team-mate if that's what it takes to win the title. That's all there is to it. If you have #1 status on paper and you're slower it'll be worth **** all.

#19 Riverside

Riverside

• 3,382 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 00:17

None, Hamilton was just talking ****.

That's about the size of it. 

Trulli was unhappy and had already signed a contract with Toyota when he was sacked - The team was not even close to contending 

for a championship...

If Alonso had #1 treatment - why was he put on equal footing with Lewis????

Massa held up Alonso on numerous occasions and nothing was done - this time for victory they made the call to give

Fernado the win because of the championship and Massa was completely out of it. Something that all Ferrari Teams did in their history.

Vettel dominated Webber after 2010 very easily - the only time he received a front wing (because there was only one)  It turned out to be

the slower part and Webber won the race at Silverstone.

Meanwhile - ask Heikki Kovalainen  how he liked being heavier in 36 of 38 races in Q sessions during the era of fuel Q as a teammate of Lewis Hamilton?

always quaifying farther down the grid doing one less stop and frequently letting Lewis through.    That in itself  is far more #1 treatment than anything mentioned by yourself.

Just imagine -  in 2007 Alonso  shared  the optimum (they alternated)  fuel strategy with Lewis in his first year ......   :wave:    

Edited by Riverside, 18 April 2015 - 12:01.

Advertisement

#20 Rhardrks

Rhardrks

• 538 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 00:19

Kimi at Lotus in 2012 was probably the worst case lately. Always getting the new parts and Grosjean asked to move over. People just ignore this and act like it never happened because it was kimi involved.

Before that it was obviously Schumacher 2006. Massa spent that year helping Schumi and was very obliging when ordered. Nothing like he was with Alonso or Kimi.

Edited by Rhardrks, 18 April 2015 - 00:23.

#21 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 00:31

Why would Vettel even need #1 status in his contract when he beat Webber without it? Unless you're claiming that RBR gave a young nobody #1 status in 2008, which is completely unbelievable. 

And if Vettel had #1 clause in his contract, 2014 would have never happened. 

You misinterpret.

I don't think he needed the #1 status.

I just don't think one event alone is enought to settle whether he had it or not. He certainly didn't need it to beat Webber.

#22 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 00:34

Back in 2011, when Lewis talked with Red Bull, was it possible it ever got serious and somehow Vettel or someone simply vetoed it?

#23 HP

HP

• 19,631 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 00:46

The proper question is who earned #1 in any team. That is entirely fine with me  when those who earned it are treated with preference.

#24 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:22

http://www.grandprix...s/ns30588.html?

Hamilton seems convinced that both Vettel and Alonso have number one status within their teams.

What do we think? 

Personally I don't think either do and it's just Hamilton out to justify his Mercedes WDCs (as it's looking good so far this year too), his comments about Vettel winning in a dominant car perhaps coming back to haunt him. If pushed I might say Alonso while at Renault for the second time or Hamilton while driving alongside Kovalainen was the last time this may have happened.

Aw come on man... Rosberg was already crumbling away and here you go and have to say something like this. This is going to be very unpopular here, but it sounds to me like this may be a ploy to get team on his side. I could be wrong, but why ever else would you say this unless you want to tip scales in your favour? Makes no sense...  :drunk:

It is funny to see how many think that Vettel has number one status in Ferrari. However, to clarify, Hamilton said "Vettel may..." and similar noises were made with repect to Alonso, and a sound-byte from Alonso is also in the article.

#25 Xeriks

Xeriks

• 1,131 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:32

These 3 earn their number one status on the track and dont need tu put that written in the contract, Lewis was trolling IMO. Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton and Raikkonen are the elite group of drivers.

Not sure how you can put Kimi in the elite group of drivers, after the way Alonso destroyed him last season.

#26 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:35

To you i would like to refer an article quoting Mark Webber, where upon signing for RBR again i think in mid 2012, he suggested that Mateschitz and he were friends, and Mateschitz assured equal treatment. It was an important factor for him, and that is what convinced him to sign with RBR, as at the time Ferrari were approaching him to replace Massa. I'm sure, Mateschitz, owner of RBR, he would know better than us speculators on interweb no? Surely Webber who's friends with owner of RBR would know what is going on. This is one of the reasons why i started disliking the Aussie. I loved his story, of how he from a fan rose to F1 driver status. Then again, some of the things that he did, really left a bad taste in the mouth. Funny thing, it was at Monaco, after a win when he asked Vettel to dive along with him into the harbour, and Vettel did. Nevermind Turkey 2010, it was later in 2012 when their working relationship went south proper. 

What is hilarious to me is that this was almost 3 years ago, but still BS about number 1 treatment for Vettel keeps floating about. Oh well...

#27 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Didnt Ted mention in FP1 that Vettel has something bout #1 in his contract with Ferrari?

Brundle was keen to discuss the possibility last weekend. It seems to be a SKY thing. 

Best I can make of it.

Lewis said he has never requested number 1 status. Given he has alluded to this recently (at the end of 2014), it's not a new comment that he has conjured up. SKY just fancied asking questions to get some headline material, and they succeeded. Call me idealistic, but I believe Lewis, I don't think he has ever outright requested to be the number 1 driver.

Whether the information he has been fed about Seb and Alonso having number 1 status is 100% correct, is another matter. I see little to suggest that either have that status. Although it would not surprise me. 

#28 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Most suspicious seems ALO at Ferrari 2010-2014. Massa was given the order much sooner than in other circumstances (2007 for example); it was not a championship decider. And there was the previous history of ALO at McLaren, which makes it more likely that he went to Ferrari with the intention of avoiding a repeat of that. FA's attitude at China 2010 also was a show of prepotence hinting at his team status.

Yet everyone at Ferrari denied that he had #1 status, and both Luca and Felipe went to great lengths to reiterate this both before and after his arrival.

#29 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 776 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:47

Probably but you've got to remember that Ted Kravitz is a smug faced moron that bullshits his way through F1 coverage.

I hate Ted Kravitz...

#30 clown

clown

• 169 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:51

There is a very big difference between a team treating a driver as a number 1, and a driver demanding/having a contractually obligated number 1 status clause (as Hamilton claims his rivals have).

#31 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,529 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 02:03

Mika Hakkinen with DC? I think Mika had #1 status the whole time at McLaren when with DC.

#32 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 02:31

Mika Hakkinen with DC? I think Mika had #1 status the whole time at McLaren when with DC.

Yep, Hakkinen was one with status of #1. I think DC also alluded to it, much later, i think it was when he had left McLaren or was about to.

edit: This is not to bring down Hakkinen (for lack of better expression) or cast a poor light and so on. I actually became a big fan of his, sadly too late though, as he soon left racing after that.

edit 2: i liked it how DC kept his calm and carried through with dignity, unlike the other driver at Ferrari.

edit 3:

@ OO7... 

This.

I remember back in 2013 Ross Brawn being interviewed about hiring Lewis.  He mentioned Lewis pleading with him desperately for No.1 status, promising the former Mercedes team principal top of the line fishing gear, including electrically heated waders and exclusive homing-guided, self propelled, echo locating lures.  Brawn was so tempted that he initially excepted the offer, but retracted moments later as 'common sense, fairness and duty prevailed'.  Lewis was still seen crying 28 days later!

:rotfl:  :up:  oh man... seems like you were planning Brawn's vacations.

Edited by garagetinkerer, 18 April 2015 - 02:44.

#33 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 02:36

There is a very big difference between a team treating a driver as a number 1, and a driver demanding/having a contractually obligated number 1 status clause (as Hamilton claims his rivals have).

Hamilton suggested  that his rivals have contractual privilege, not claimed. Huge difference between the two. Still, should have minded his own business, as this year started good, and there seemingly is no need to start talking smack as yet. I do wonder though, if he is going to drive the rest of the races with 3 wheels or something, an extra pit-stop etc., as his comments on Vettel were tasteless then, still are now :p

edit: just remembered, contract is still being worked at... 

Edited by garagetinkerer, 18 April 2015 - 02:45.

#34 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 02:51

I voted none ... but I guess there could be a claim for say Maldonado. With Grosjean again making way in FP1 for Palmer for the 2nd weekend it kind of suggests Maldonado is #1 - will be interesting to see if the pattern continues or if Maldonado sits out some sessions?

#35 HPT

HPT

• 2,077 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 03:00

Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton are the elite group of drivers.

Corrected for you.

#36 Briz

Briz

• 453 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 03:05

I don't think anyone of the three has "No.1" in his contract, but I am confident Hamilton will get the most protection from his team of the three this year. Simply because of the current situation within the three teams and the expected championship dynamics. I feel Mercedes will support Hamilton even if Rosberg somehow scores more points than him at half time, while Vettel would definitely need to show more than Kimi if he wants to get some help. Last year convinced me Lauda regards Lewis as his own contribution to the team and prefers him to win over Rosberg, Toto doesn't seem to be fond of Rosberg either. And they both seem a bit unprofessional as managers and will intervene.

#37 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 05:00

Nasr at Sauber.

#38 JohnDoe

JohnDoe

• 33 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:17

Big Speculation from Hamilton coming right on the very next day where he says he does the talking on track.

#39 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:39

none

Advertisement

#40 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:40

Yup, talking absolute nonsense. Lewis, too.

You don't hire Kimi Raikkonen to play lapdog, sorry. It's BS. Nobody at Ferrari is #1. Not until a point in the season where it makes sense to.

Nothing suspicious about 2010. The choice was made earlier because Alonso was already like 50 points behind in the championship. He was already on the edge of being a realistic title contender. Massa wasn't miles behind Alonso in the points, but he was far enough back from the lead title contenders that he could basically be ruled out, especially when Alonso had typically been outperforming him. Ferrari made a tough choice, but the right one.

As for other years, Alonso never got any preferential treatment til later in the year, when Massa proved himself incapable of keeping up with Alonso, which happened every year. Early in the season, you still saw the two racing and Ferrari never held Massa back to get Alonso ahead.

Basically, Alonso earned any preferential treatment he got season in, season out. Ferrari was very fair about it and there were no signs of any contractual favouritism.

Edited by Seanspeed, 18 April 2015 - 06:46.

#41 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:53

I respect hamilton for his amazing skills on track, but, my god, he talks some **** sometimes.

Even if there is some slight truth in it, he needs to show his fellow drivers a bit of respect and not talk about their contract on TV.

Edited by lbennie, 18 April 2015 - 06:56.

#42 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:56

MAL

#43 igoru

igoru

• 498 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:57

Not sure how you can put Kimi in the elite group of drivers, after the way Alonso destroyed him last season.

+1

#44 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:24

Trulli destroyed Alonso in one season. Do i put him off the list?

Ricci destroyed Vettel last year. Do i put him off the list?

Button destroyed Hamilton in 2011. Do i put him off the list?

#45 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:28

Some conclusions here are really confusing - I add my own special one.  Lewis has obviously a number one status after Rosberg was treated like **** from Toto and Lauda in SPA 2014. So my vote went to Lewis because a friend of a friend who knows Sebastian told me Lewis has a number one contract. In his contract is stated he could tell something different to the media to boost his own legacy  :smoking:

#46 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:29

Trulli destroyed Alonso in one season. Do i put him off the list?

Ricci destroyed Vettel last year. Do i put him off the list?

Button destroyed Hamilton in 2011. Do i put him off the list?

Hold that list for a moment, and search the definition of "destroyed".

Edited by kosmos, 18 April 2015 - 07:30.

#47 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:30

I don't think anybody has number one status at the moment. Ron Dennis won't make the same mistake twice. Vettel and Hamilton don't want it, don't need it and wouldn't get even if they wanted it. 

#48 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:42

At the moment, I don't think any of those drivers do. Ask us again halfway through.

#49 Guizotia

Guizotia

• 1,633 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:01

I respect hamilton for his amazing skills on track, but, my god, he talks some **** sometimes.

Even if there is some slight truth in it, he needs to show his fellow drivers a bit of respect and not talk about their contract on TV.

Why not? It's all part of sport isn't it? Unsettling your competitors?

Its never a bad thing to do, there's no downside.

I always say F1 needs more smack-talking. This is just a very weak, polite version of that.

#50 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:05

Lewis Hamilton also thinks God watches formula 1 races and has a special "plan" for him. In other words, take what he says with a hefty pinch of salt . . .