Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

It's the 2015 FORMULA 1 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX thread.

• Please log in to reply
934 replies to this topic

#1 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 22:34

And the Gulf air is hot, damned hot. Hot and dry, which doesn't leave me room for a joke.

Lewis has got pole, Sebastian is starting from second, but he doesn't have the fifth column of Roscoe to give him a break, so maybe Lewis will have the edge into the first corner.

Nico couldn't get into the rhythm, apparently - maybe he should get Grace Jones as a coach.

Felipe and Valtery fill out the 3rd row for Williams - who have gone from "We not crap anymore" last season to "Why aren't we winning" - always a healthy sign in a team.  Sir Frank was 73 on Thursday, but I can't wrangle that into an obscure reference, so I'll just wish him a Happy Birthday.

After the Williams, the rest of the grid is a fair mash-up of the usual suspects.  One thing of note - Fernando managed to wrestle a McLaren in Q2 - Jenson's form in the only practice he got was relatively close too - if they don't explode/fizzle out maybe they can score their first points.

Now, please form an orderly line to explain to me what I've missed, how you could have done the thread opener better, and why my analysis sucks.

I don't care - I'm just hoping for a race to match the fun of last year, because it was awesome.

And this year we have massive sparks.

Advertisement

#2 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 22:36

First for Crashtor Murdernado!

MALDONADO-SMASH.gif

#3 Nathan

Nathan

• 6,841 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 22:37

I want to see what happens if Vettel gets ahead of Hamilton!

#4 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 22:38

2014 repeat. This time Seb vs Lewis. Bring it on.

#5 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 22:42

I think might be a close race. I'm hoping for a vettel, Hamilton ding dong battle for the win. If that doesn't happen maybe Maldanado will cause some chaos in which case most of the feild may want to
monty-python-run-away-o.gif

#6 weareracing

weareracing

• 985 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 22:42

A clean start and a 1st lap without any incidents is what I want, then let the race develop between Mercedes & Ferrari.

Hopeful of a good race between the 2 teams, all 4 drivers have a chance if things go their way.

#7 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 23:06

Have we got a pool on Maldonado? I'm on a first corner wipeout.

#8 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,115 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 23:31

I still can't believe that I am kind of rooting for Vettel.

#9 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 23:42

Me too. What the hell happened?

#10 arebin

arebin

• 73 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 23:44

Same thing started happening to me last week.

Edited by arebin, 18 April 2015 - 23:46.

#11 tmekt

tmekt

• 1,254 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 23:48

Easy win for Kimi.

#12 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 23:57

I think might be a close race. I'm hoping for a vettel, Hamilton ding dong battle for the win. If that doesn't happen maybe Maldanado will cause some chaos in which case most of the feild may want to
monty-python-run-away-o.gif

Thanks, I've now just wasted an hour watching Python videos on youtube.

#13 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 23:58

Well I'm rooting for him to beat Rosberg...

#14 Sanzx81

Sanzx81

• 112 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 00:02

lol, me too. Seems he is the only chance we have of a non Mercedes win. Go Vettel!

#15 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,502 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 00:14

Hamilton to let the world know why he's the champ.

#16 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,727 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 00:45

Is it wrong that I am starting to love Pastor? I feel now he is an essential part of a Grand Prix sunday.  :drunk:

We shall see how Mercedes improvements worked after friday, where they said they were too conservative on long runs compared to Ferrari. Rosberg talked about it too. If they have got their car dialled in, I can easily see another 1-2. Hopefully Ferrari can still stay with them regardless, because a proper 4 way fight is on the cards with all kinds of split strategies.

The field is pretty close together not much time difference, so hopes are high for a close entertaining race.

#17 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 00:46

Should be a fun one. All of hamilton's skills will be involved. At the end of the day, lewis and his brilliant gold chain will be shining bright!

#18 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 00:58

The track is abrasive, and it's definitely going to be hot. But the softer compound tires have such a speed advantage they cannot be ignored, which makes me speculate on how many pits stops will be done, and which car will preserve them the best. Naturally most fans will be wondering about Hamilton versus Vettel, but behind them is Rosberg and Raikkonen, both going to use strategy as best they can. Although the drivers are the focus of most attention, I expect this race to be all about tires and strategy.

The cars look pretty cool when they make sparks.

#19 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:08

Me too. What the hell happened?

Me four...although I've always warmed to him, especially after that Autosport Awards banquet speech...

What a peach.

Jp

Advertisement

#20 Cacarella

Cacarella

• 1,110 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:14

Looking like good odds, seeing as how long it's been...

http://hasmaldonadocrashedtoday.com/

#21 Riverside

Riverside

• 3,382 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:18

. At the end of the day, lewis and his brilliant gold chain will be shining bright!

I can hear Elvis singing in the background.  

#22 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:21

Is it wrong that I am starting to love Pastor? I feel now he is an essential part of a Grand Prix sunday.  :drunk:

This love story lasts only as long as he takes out your favourite driver...   ;)

Grosjean was the most hated driver on the grid for a while. Because he took out you know who - Hamilton and Alonso. Basically simultaneously.

#23 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:51

This love story lasts only as long as he takes out your favourite driver...   ;)

Grosjean was the most hated driver on the grid for a while. Because he took out you know who - Hamilton and Alonso. Basically simultaneously.

LOL, well he drove like a boss at Catalunya, but that was sometime ago. He needs to get his act together, as the car is picking up a bit.

My prediction, given it will be cooler and Vettel suggested that may not work for them, Mercedes 1-2. I would be really surprised if Mercedes don't manage to finish 1-2. Yes, yes, i know, still reb blooded tifoso, but i'm a realist.

#24 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:59

Effectively giving Vettel a 2nd life line in the championship that year... 

#25 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:02

Effectively giving Vettel a 2nd life line in the championship that year... 

The first, but it merely made up for engine failure at Valencia, second was when Alonso managed to tangle up with Raikkonen at Suzuka. Then again, he made the best of the opportunities.

#26 jurchenking

jurchenking

• 64 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:06

My wishlist for the race:

1.  Rosberg to "catch" Lewis on the track with his car, not necessarily in terms of lap times  ;) . 

2.  Safety car to destroy Mercedes' strategy :clap: .  

3.  Rising temperature and more abrasive track as the race progresses :D .

4.  Engine BOOM and SMOKE for BOTH Mercedes works cars :up: .

#27 AlexS

AlexS

• 6,277 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:08

He did much more than that, he was a dangerous driver.

-----------------------------

Like i said in Ferrari thread, they might have a problem how they handle medium tires. If the difference is like Shanghai they might not get a chance even if they are slightly faster in softs.

Edited by AlexS, 19 April 2015 - 02:10.

#28 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:11

I dont buy it ...... Ferrari made a good car this year ..... but that Merc is way better -  no way those two should be in competition over a race distance.....Mal was explained by high temps, what's gonna be the explanation when Ferrari wins the race ... equal cars?  Gimme a break!

When I saw LH spending most of practice on the wrong tyre, I thought "Ha, I like not that!" .... as the bard wrote.

Hopefully this is yet another occasion when I am wrong ... but I am putting it out there so if it happens no one said it was not coming.

And for the record, any media commentator who starts telling you that these are two equal cars is lying to you. 

#29 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,400 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:14

1.  Rosberg to "catch" Lewis on the track with his car, not necessarily in terms of lap times  ;) . 

3 isn't going to happen as the race is at night, so the track will be cooler.

#30 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,400 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:17

I dont buy it ...... Ferrari made a good car this year ..... but that Merc is way better -  no way those two should be in competition over a race distance.....Mal was explained by high temps, what's gonna be the explanation when Ferrari wins the race ... equal cars?  Gimme a break!

Both Raikkonen and Vettel were faster by 0.5s> in race sims than Rosberg on the softs. And the race sims were taking place in the second half of FP2, basically the same time as the middle of the race.

#31 Hamandeggs

Hamandeggs

• 360 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:33

My hopes

1. Hamilton gets out of turn 1 in front

2. Rosberg startled by Kimi at the start and drops into 4th or 5th

3. Lewis and Vettel pull out a 5 second gap

4  Lewis wins after coming bk from a 4 sec deficit in the final stint after a titanic 3 lap battle with Seb

5. Somehow Seb wins coz I got 7-2 on a Ferrari win,I get paid out and Lewis is promoted to first following an appeal against Ferrari for a technical infringement relating to track limits :) a week later

Edited by Hamandeggs, 19 April 2015 - 02:34.

#32 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:04

My hopes

1. Hamilton gets out of turn 1 in front

2. Rosberg startled by Kimi at the start and drops into 4th or 5th

3. Lewis and Vettel pull out a 5 second gap

4  Lewis wins after coming bk from a 4 sec deficit in the final stint after a titanic 3 lap battle with Seb

5. Somehow Seb wins coz I got 7-2 on a Ferrari win,I get paid out and Lewis is promoted to first following an appeal against Ferrari for a technical infringement relating to track limits :) a week later

Oye you cruel so and so :cat: don't joke about a win with us tifosi here... and especially not about that win being taken away. :p

#33 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 3,849 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:11

Should be an interesting race to watch. Like McLaren vs Ferrari days.

#34 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 3,348 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:13

Nice for the fan's at the GP :up:

#35 cheekybru

cheekybru

• 2,035 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:32

I said this to my friend "Im actually glad pastors in there now, wouldnt be the same without him  :rotfl: "

til next time he takes Lewis out ofc :p

#36 igoru

igoru

• 498 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:33

Williams on podium ...

#37 cheekybru

cheekybru

• 2,035 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:35

made me lol  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

#38 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:54

Both Raikkonen and Vettel were faster by 0.5s> in race sims than Rosberg on the softs. And the race sims were taking place in the second half of FP2, basically the same time as the middle of the race.

Raikkonen was much faster than rosberg on the mediums in China practice long runs as well, which wasn't born out in the race whatsoever. I still think merc turn everything down a lot more than ferrari in practice.

I do think this race is likely to be quite close at the front though, and I wouldn't be at all suprised if vettel leads into turn 1. That could actually be the best outcome for a cracking race, though I think a vet/ham version of last year's battle wouldn't turn out quite as well with two drivers who leave no prisoners.

#39 argiriano

argiriano

• 1,706 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:54

I still think Ferrari will have an edge over Mercedes on tire usage and are capable of winning once again on merit in Bahrain because even a night race the track will be way hotter than the one in Shanghai so the Mediums should work for the reds better.

I also hope for a better McLaren race pace because midfield is where the most interesting battles are and Alonso & Button are one of the most entertaining to watch in defence/attack even though with those long straights it will be quite artificial.  

Edited by argiriano, 19 April 2015 - 08:55.

Advertisement

#40 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:56

Raikkonen was much faster than rosberg on the mediums in China practice long runs as well, which wasn't born out in the race whatsoever.

No he wasn't. They were pretty darn close.

#41 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:59

No he wasn't. They were pretty darn close.

Oh right, that's what Crofty/ kravitz etc kept saying

#42 Speedoholic

Speedoholic

• 212 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:02

I understand Ferrari has a shot, but this Mercedes vs Ferrari battle is being blown out of proportion. Sure, they lost to Ferrari in Malaysia, but why is everyone forgetting about Australia/China? 

#43 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:02

Oh right, that's what Crofty/ kravitz etc kept saying

There's your problem! lol

But you are right in pointing out that there was a disparity between FP and race pace on the mediums between the two. Whether that was down to conditions being different or Mercedes holding back or whatever, we don't know, maybe a bit of both, but it does show that FP2 pace isn't always an ultra reliable indicator.

I have a feeling that Ferrari will indeed be closer this time, though.

#44 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,547 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:04

I still think Ferrari will have an edge over Mercedes on tire usage and are capable of winning once again on merit in Bahrain because even a night race the track will be way hotter than the one in Shanghai so the Mediums should work for the reds better.
I also hope for a better McLaren race pace because midfield is where the most interesting battles are and Alonso & Button are one of the most entertaining to watch in defence/attack even though with those long straights it will be quite artificial.

Don't think it's about the temperatures. I mentioned in the Ferrari thread earlier in the week that I believe it's about the abrasive nature of the track surface.

Ferrari might well be off the pace on the prime tyre but I don't think it will be as pronounced as it was in China.

#45 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:05

Lewis :up:

#46 Scuferrari

Scuferrari

• 645 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:11

In China they were tied on Friday during the race simulations. We know that Mercedes are riding a bit more conservative. So if they are on par in FP, Mercedes wins.

In Malaysia Ferrari were faster on friday by about the same margin as here in Bahrain. It's going to be very close. For the sake of a good race, we can only hope that Vettel doesn't get jumped at the start from the dirty side. Otherwise Hamilton disappears and Ferrari see the back of Rosbergs car for a lot of time.

#47 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:15

They forgot the Chinese Grand Prix...

#48 quaint

quaint

• 831 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:17

I understand Ferrari has a shot, but this Mercedes vs Ferrari battle is being blown out of proportion. Sure, they lost to Ferrari in Malaysia, but why is everyone forgetting about Australia/China? 

I don't think people are forgetting any races. It's very common that when multiple teams are competitive, their relative performances vary from race to race. China in particular is just a different type of track compared to here or Malaysia. The hope for the rest of the season lies on the updates.

In China they were tied on Friday during the race simulations. We know that Mercedes are riding a bit more conservative. So if they are on par in FP, Mercedes wins.

In Malaysia Ferrari were faster on friday by about the same margin as here in Bahrain. It's going to be very close. For the sake of a good race, we can only hope that Vettel doesn't get jumped at the start from the dirty side. Otherwise Hamilton disappears and Ferrari see the back of Rosbergs car for a lot of time.

I don't see it being that simple. I prefer the theory of the Chinese track coming to Mercedes with the hotter Sunday.

#49 Sunnyy

Sunnyy

• 155 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:22

You mean blown out of proportion just like Nico felt he was under a threat from Ferrari in the last race?

#50 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:22

Ferrari will bring the fight to Mercedes today. I predict racing and overtaking between them. The DRS is a very nifty tool around here. Bring it on!