Photo
- - - - -

Maurizio Arrivabene is getting too much credit...

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 MCR

MCR

• 1,041 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:42

It was Marco Mattiacci who turned the Ferrari fortunes around, and stefano domenicali who had the foresight and grace to step aside.

Mattiacci started the restructuring, made sure there was no one bigger than the team, and got fired I suspect because Alonso was let go.

But it was him who caused the pivot in Ferrari's fortunes.

Advertisement

#2 matd81

matd81

• 18 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:49

Glad someone bought it up!

Arrivabene landed at exactly the right time, as did Vettel... Lucky is all those two are! But they will take lucky over Mattiacci's lot!

#3 cokata

cokata

• 1,390 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:53

original.jpg

#4 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:56

Maurizio is getting the credit for making the team run like a swiss watch and for making a great atmoshpere.

he doesnt get credit for the car.

#5 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 3,348 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:57

Maurizio is getting the credit for making the team run like a swiss watch and for making a great atmoshpere.

This!

#6 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,547 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 13:06

It's really this simple.

Mattiacci tasked Allison with the restructuring and it was a stroke of genius. So yes Mattiacci has played his part but it doesn't mean that Arrivebene must automatically be excluded. A lot of people are responsible for what is happening at Ferrari now.

#7 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 13:10

1 win and we are already discussing who really deserves the credit at Ferrari?  :confused:

#8 JohnDoe

JohnDoe

• 33 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 14:02

As the Team Principal of one of the most prestigious racing teams in the history of Formula 1, M.A is bound to get lots of attention whether it is good performance or bad performance. If L.D.M can be removed then no S.D or M.M can be in a safe position.

Why does the O.P feel that M.A is getting more credit? Is he a related to S.D or M.M?

#9 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 4,100 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 14:07

As the Team Principal of one of the most prestigious racing teams in the history of Formula 1, M.A is bound to get lots of attention whether it is good performance or bad performance. If L.D.M can be removed then no S.D or M.M can be in a safe position.

Why does the O.P feel that M.A is getting more credit? Is he a related to S.D or M.M?

I wonder, W.T.H. the P.P. or Q.P., namely J.D., needs to use abbr.-s on his post S.O? It makes it R.H.T.R..

Edited by Force Ten, 19 April 2015 - 14:08.

#10 aramos

aramos

• 1,498 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 14:10

Let's not forget the chief designer of this car got sacked.

For me the biggest thing is the new wind tunnel, montezemolo really hurt Ferrari by putting that off

#11 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,221 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 14:11

It's hard to put it down to one man Ferrari made so many changes, maybe Macchione should be given some credit? To be fair to Arrivabene he does know how the paddock works inside out, unlike his predecessor.

#12 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 14:14

I think some people at a certain German team are getting credit for what Ross Brawn did too.

At the end of the day, you have to be in the right place at the right time. Just ask any driver.

Andy

#13 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,479 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 14:27

sour_grapes.jpg

#14 S3baman

S3baman

• 2,864 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 14:30

I don't think he gets to much credit. We know that Marco made some tough and risky decisions that were not well viewed by the higher ups, which eventually lead to his demise. However, Maurizio is dealing with the current situation like any professional should. He's saying all the right things and from the looks of things, is doing all the right moves and decisions behind the scenes as well. I think for that alone he should get all the praise he gets.

#15 S3baman

S3baman

• 2,864 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 14:32

Let's not forget the chief designer of this car got sacked.

For me the biggest thing is the new wind tunnel, montezemolo really hurt Ferrari by putting that off

Tombazis has been the weakest link at Ferrari ever since Rory left imo. I think it's comes as no surprise to a lot of people here on the forum that the resurgence of Ferrari is linked to his departure in some way,shape, or form.

#16 Massa

Massa

• 9,971 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 14:34

Yes, i think Mattiacci was really important. He is the man who give Allison full power, and get rid of Fry and Tombazis. It was the KEY move for the resurgence. Arrivabene is great for the managerial side, but without Mattiacci, Ferrari would be stuck with Fry and Tombazis again.

#17 MCR

MCR

• 1,041 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 14:36

1 win and we are already discussing who really deserves the credit at Ferrari?  :confused:

Nothing to do with me, I'm only commenting on a piece by BBC which wrote this:

''Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene talks to BBC F1 chief analyst Eddie Jordan about how he has turned the Maranello teams fortunes around this season.''

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/32367174

#18 engineblock1

engineblock1

• 1,060 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 14:38

I agree with whoever said Arrivabene is getting credit for keeping atmosphere positive. But let's face another fact here, the atmosphere is good because things on field are going as per plan. What if Ferrari was performing like it had been performing for few recent years?

Rest, the credit for performance improvement on track goes to:

1) Allison, for bringing up some ideas that mattered

2) Engine guys for catching up

3) Whoever suggested it's time for Domenicali & LdM to go

#19 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,479 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 14:47

Nothing to do with me, I'm only commenting on a piece by BBC which wrote this:

''Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene talks to BBC F1 chief analyst Eddie Jordan about how he has turned the Maranello teams fortunes around this season.''

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/32367174

Story unavailable to non UK users. :o

Arrivabene, who Jordan describes as "F1's most rock and roll team principal," puts the change in fortunes down to engaging with the "human" side and improving morale at Maranello.
:up: :up:

Advertisement

#20 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 14:50

He's made me like Ferrari much more than I have at any point in the last 20 odd years probably. They just seem much more open and fun than they've been in the past.

#21 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 14:51

But yeah I think Allison deserves most of the credit in performance terms, as well as whoever is in charge of their dramatic engine improvements

#22 Felix

Felix

• 818 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 14:57

http://plus.autospor...1-hottest-seat/

#23 tmekt

tmekt

• 1,254 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 15:01

According to himself he did influence the car right away. Plain PR talk or not, he said this:

"I told [the design team] to look at that photo on the wall. Does that front suspension look okay to you?

"In my opinion, when you do you something right in F1 everybody copies it right away. This suspension is something no-one has copied.

"Both drivers need a car with a front they can trust. I asked how much time do we need to make one like that. They answered that it'll take six months.

"I asked what they can do in three months. After that they started working day and night."

http://www.mtv.fi/sp...u-alkoi/5009734

#24 barrykm

barrykm

• 806 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 18:21

..but Arrivabene certainly looks like a boss doesn't he.. :up:

#25 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 1,645 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 20:46

It's really this simple.

THERE IS NO I IN TEAM 

He is just the schmuck you see on tv cheering to get Ferrari attention and the tv camera's are lapping it up as if he was not so vocal it would be a all merc affair 

Edited by LORDBYRON, 19 April 2015 - 20:49.

#26 smr

smr

• 1,902 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 20:47

"swiss watch" love that expression, cheers :)

#27 Sunnyy

Sunnyy

• 155 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 20:58

You think that's going over the top If McLaren get a point Ron/Boulier will demanding a trophy. :p  I don't even want to think what a win will mean.  

#28 Guizotia

Guizotia

• 1,633 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 21:00

The guy has the x factor, how can he get too much credit?

Give him a reality tv show and a recording contract!

#29 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 21:01

<<<<<Facepalm

#30 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,741 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 21:06

Arrivabene is Mr. Motivator. You can tell that he is the kind of guy that people love to work for, and more importantly, love to succeed for. Credit deserved.

#31 MCR

MCR

• 1,041 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 21:26

Arrivabene is Mr. Motivator. You can tell that he is the kind of guy that people love to work for, and more importantly, love to succeed for. Credit deserved.

Mark my words, when the chit hits the fan, this guy isn't going to be the one leading Ferrari.

Marco Mattiacci got a raw deal, he might not have known much about F1, but he was a business man, your job in business is the efficient allocation of resources, that is what Ferrari needed and he did the job.

#32 Zesus

Zesus

• 958 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 21:35

I don't know, but this guy convinced me that he's the good thing for Ferrari. Maybe he knows very well how to lie, but I trust him. I believe he's a good thing for all workers there and also for drivers. I love how he cheer on them and is always trying to motivate them. Drivers are happy about him and I doubt they'd lie about it.

#33 oetzi

oetzi

• 6,829 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 21:39

Scuderia Ferrari is, in essence, a team not a business. It doesn't need to be run by a businessman.

Running it may be the most important job in the business. Doesn't mean it's a job for a businessman.

#34 ionutz2oo0

ionutz2oo0

• 213 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 22:48

I think he deserves a lot of credit for the atmosphere within the team and for the fact that for the first time in 6 years Ferrari finally looks like a team. It was a mess under Domenicali.

I believe credit should be given to everybody in the management of the team. 

#35 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,125 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 22:55

Purely from an image perspective, Arrivabene seems a lot warmer and more likeable than Toto Wolff.

#36 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 22:55

I would give most credit for Montezemolo stepping aside from disturbing things.... He was too much involved after Todt resigned.

Edited by Mauseri, 19 April 2015 - 22:57.

#37 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,115 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 23:40

Marchionne, Mattiacci and Arrivabene all had their special part to play. As the human charismatic side of Ferrari, Arrivabene is a godsend.

#38 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,351 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 23:53

Seriously.

Ferrari is better this year 90% because their engine is better and 10% because the design is good. End of story. Look at Sauber. Look at Kimi compared to last year.

It's the engine, gentlemen. Don't make things complicated when they are simple.

#39 Dr. Austin

Dr. Austin

• 3,293 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:25

The important thing is that Ferrari is back in the game.  And Vettel. And Kimmi. A lot of people we thought were off the boil are suddenly right back at the front.

Sadly, Mattiachi has been a Ferrari man for 20 years, and was not really given a fair chance. Instead he was made a scapegoat and shuffled completely out of the company. After 20 years of being a faithful Ferrari man, showing him the door with no ceremony was a pretty shabby way to treat him.

Of course, Niki Lauda got an even less ceremonial send off, so it's hard to be surprised.

Advertisement

#40 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 1,384 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:07

Purely from an image perspective, Arrivabene seems a lot warmer and more likeable than Toto Wolff.

They're both likeable. I don't know why someone wouldn't like toto. Mattiaci was a different story. Seemed arrogant and uptight.

#41 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:29

It's really this simple.

THERE IS NO I IN TEAM 

He is just the schmuck you see on tv cheering to get Ferrari attention and the tv camera's are lapping it up as if he was not so vocal it would be a all merc affair 

There-is-an-I-in-TEAM.png

#42 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:24

Similar to Toto Wolff he's walked in at just the right time in order to take all of the credit.  :lol:

It's funny watching the demeanor of some of the team bosses.  In some ways they are useful, they "manage" things but in other ways they do nothing.  They don't design engines, they don't design aero, they just oversee everything.  But they are the face that communicates with the media, and when it's going well.. it does give an impression that they are largely responsible.

The funniest quote in this area was Flavio years ago who saw sparks on another car and said (paraphrased) "that car is faster than ours and has sparks.. we need sparks!".

#43 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,440 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:48

The most important thing is the atmosphere. Hence, the boss makes the difference. Even Kimster said that in his time at Ferrari, Arri's time now is ensuring a really cool atmosphere. 

#44 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 967 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:07

MA has been tasked to put Ferrari back into where it's belong and he did it.

If other people been put into MA's place and achive what he did so far, that man should be creditted too.

However MA shouldn't be creditted alone. As we can see it took whole organisation to be revamped so we get to see Ferrari performed as we seen so far.

#45 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:14

Seriously.

Ferrari is better this year 90% because their engine is better and 10% because the design is good. End of story. Look at Sauber. Look at Kimi compared to last year.

I would say 50/50. There's limtis what they can do for powerunits. and if you see how car behaves on corners during braking, during accelerating and coasting there's massive difference to last years car, which was designed like left hand scissors for right hand person.

#46 Dzeidzei

Dzeidzei

• 233 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:16

Dunno whos the one (or two) who whould get credit. Does it matter?

I can name two who definitely do not get any credit. Luca DiM and Freddie. Period.

Edited by Dzeidzei, 20 April 2015 - 07:16.

#47 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:20

Personally I believe it is departures more than arrivals that have turned Ferrari around but still I don't think Arrivabene is getting too much credit. Vettel and Kimi is always giving credit to the whole team and apart from a few articles about Arrivabene, which is normal since he is new, most news stories talk about Ferrari, not about him. Maybe the OP see things that are not there?

#48 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:24

Seriously.

Yes, look at Sauber. They are quite far off Ferrari's pace. Do you also say Mercedes is 90% engine and 10% design? I mean, look at Williams...
Don't simplify things that are complicated.

#49 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:56

It all looks so good though doesn't it when it coincides with a good car. James Allison is the single biggest reason in my eyes, he tried very hard to get that Lotus to Kimi's liking and successfully too. I personally have been anticipating this for a year and expected this team to be in a very positive mindset at this point regardless of any change of management. The only thing I can say of Arrivabene is that he seems like a nice guy who cares a lot about the drivers emotionally. There is a lot of love there.

#50 Jvr

Jvr

• 7,594 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:11

Turrini writes about his memories of 2011 Barcelona and subsequent departure of Aldo Costa as the beginning of blame game, decimations and the decline of Ferrari.

http://blog.quotidia...ldo-costa-2011/

"While writing my comments, I was struck by an intuition.

"This is the beginning of the end of a certain Ferrari, one that won. In which there is a technician changed the manner of a football coach. It does not work well in F1. It can not work well. Unless you come from other worlds, other cultures and discovering the F1 suddenly ..

In addition, when you start with the logic of the blame game, well, it's an invitation to the gradual decimation. And are you sure that sooner or later it's up to you.

Indeed, to you. I said exactly this to my brother Montezemolo and Domenicali.

There was no need of Nostradamus to understand that the virus was spreading. I always had a suspicion about its origin (of the virus). But I keep it."

So while it is true that there is credit due for many that left last year, it required the departure of those and Mattiacci, Marchionne, Allison and finally Arrivabene to get the team into the shape it is today.

Just wondering what the "origin of the virus" inside Ferrari was...

Edited by Jvr, 25 April 2015 - 10:13.