* * - - - 1 votes

Unsafe Releases

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 demet06

demet06

• 126 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 17:45

Was it just me or was there a couple of unsafe releases that went unpunished at the weekend? 

Firstly Seb, was his wheel secured properly causing his "braking issue"?

Secondly and to me more dangerous, Lotus releasing Pastor Maldonado when Filipe Massa was on top of him? The commentary seemed to think the unsafe one was the Sauber being released when the Lotus and Williams were side by side. They seemed to miss the earlier release of the Lotus! 

Advertisement

#2 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,305 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 17:48

Dépends on what the teams were told in the briefings. Marshalls are kinder with large pitlanes.

#3 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 17:53

It's generally accepted that when two guys are racing each other and come into the pits at the same time then they are allowed to be released like normal.

As for Seb, the wheel didn't fall off so it's safe to assume that it was secured properly.

#4 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 17:54

I was afraid Lewis would get one for his first stop in Malaysia, he almost hit an RB in front coming into their pitbox.

#5 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 20:40

It's generally accepted that when two guys are racing each other and come into the pits at the same time then they are allowed to be released like normal.

As for Seb, the wheel didn't fall off so it's safe to assume that it was secured properly.

No, I don't think it is.

Stephane has hit the nail on the head - it's effectively due to the size of the pitlane. If the car in the fast lane can avoid the car that's released ahead of it without needing to lift, the team committing the unsafe release has a much better chance of getting away with it than they would if they did the same thing at Monaco and forced the other car to slam on the anchors.