Photo
- - - - -

Change of Opinion on Awesome V6Ts?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Poll: Have you changed your mind about the engines? (160 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you changed your mind about the engines?

1. I used to hate them, now I love them (3 votes [1.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.88%

2. I used to love them, now I hate them (2 votes [1.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.25%

3. Loved 'em then, love 'em now. (77 votes [48.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.12%

4. I'll hate them untill the day I die (38 votes [23.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.75%

5. Agnostic (40 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:54

So I've always liked the V6T/Es that we have now and haven't agreed with a lot of the moaners, but I'd like to know whether anyone has changed their mind either way about the engine tech and sound since the start of 2014. Please vote accordingly.

PS: The thread title is not at all a subliminal attempt to influence your vote.

PPS. This isn't another thread to moan about the engines (there are loads existing), just say if you have changed your mind and why. If not, why not? Simples.

Edited by CountDooku, 21 April 2015 - 12:58.

Advertisement

#2 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,497 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 13:05

I'll hate them untill the day I die 

They stand for everything I don't want in F1.

#3 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 13:29

I don't like the fact that they cost so much money.

#4 kevinracefan

kevinracefan

• 2,729 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 13:30

I like pie..

AGNOSTIC??? maybe apathetic would be a better word choice...

I'm a Red Bull fan, so I should hate them..

but, I don't.. (my disappointment and hate are pointed at ren - NO)

F1 has often been a test bed for technology and I see no reason not to embrace these fuel sippers...

#5 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 13:34

I like pie..

AGNOSTIC??? maybe apathetic would be a better word choice...

I'm a Red Bull fan, so I should hate them..

but, I don't.. (my disappointment and hate are pointed at ren - NO)

F1 has often been a test bed for technology and I see no reason not to embrace these fuel sippers...

Agnostic works as well. According to the OED:

1.1(In a non-religious context) having a doubtful or non-committal attitude towards something: ‘until now I’ve been fairly agnostic about electoral reform’

#6 PaulTodd

PaulTodd

• 194 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 13:44

Problem with these votes is that Hamilton/Merc fans will love them and give a big fat yes vote because they are winning. Don't get me wrong if Alonso was winning I would love them  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

Joking aside Modern F1 is s1*t  and it's not just the engines to blame.

#7 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,125 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 13:45

They sound different this year, more aggressive, though still not a patch on the V8's. Voted 'agnostic' as I think there's potential for improvement, more so now that the Totonator actually said he'd like them to use more fuel and rev higher (seeing as Merc was the biggest obstacle towards anything changing).

By 2017, having them rev up to around 15k or more, they might not sound so bad. Cost is still my only complaint about them, but as the tech becomes more commonplace, I hope for F1's sake that they become more affordable. They're a cool bit of kit, they just sound like mechanical farts. That will hopefully change in the future.

More important to me is getting rid of the knockout-ugly high rear wings. The renderings for 2017 cars with low, proportional wings and wide tyres got an immediate positive reaction from me. :blush: As long as we get those, flying around at near-2004 pace, vortex of sparks flying out the back, I'll probably be a fan. :D

EDITED TO ADD: I am NOT talking about the Ferrari 2017 rendering, which is far from my idea of what a 2017 car should look like, but instead something along these lines. BERNIE, FIA, TEAMS, ET AL TAKE NOTE:

image.jpg?OriginalImageUrl=%2Fuk%2Fasset

:love:

Edited by Afterburner, 21 April 2015 - 13:55.

#8 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 13:46

I have watched a ton less F1 since their introduction. V8s weren't great either, but the days of me watching FP1 right through the GP are loooonnnggg gone. Appalling motors, still. And a lot of my racing friends share exactly the same view.

#9 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 13:52

I have watched a ton less F1 since their introduction. V8s weren't great either, but the days of me watching FP1 right through the GP are loooonnnggg gone. Appalling motors, still. And a lot of my racing friends share exactly the same view.

Not to be a buzz kill or anything but I specifically wrote this in the opening post:

This isn't another thread to moan about the engines (there are loads existing), just say if you have changed your mind and why. If not, why not? Simples.

#10 P123

P123

• 23,842 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 14:02

They sound different this year, more aggressive, though still not a patch on the V8's. Voted 'agnostic' as I think there's potential for improvement, more so now that the Totonator actually said he'd like them to use more fuel and rev higher (seeing as Merc was the biggest obstacle towards anything changing).

By 2017, having them rev up to around 15k or more, they might not sound so bad. Cost is still my only complaint about them, but as the tech becomes more commonplace, I hope for F1's sake that they become more affordable. They're a cool bit of kit, they just sound like mechanical farts. That will hopefully change in the future.

More important to me is getting rid of the knockout-ugly high rear wings. The renderings for 2017 cars with low, proportional wings and wide tyres got an immediate positive reaction from me. :blush: As long as we get those, flying around at near-2004 pace, vortex of sparks flying out the back, I'll probably be a fan. :D

EDITED TO ADD: I am NOT talking about the Ferrari 2017 rendering, which is far from my idea of what a 2017 car should look like, but instead something along these lines. BERNIE, FIA, TEAMS, ET AL TAKE NOTE:

image.jpg?OriginalImageUrl=%2Fuk%2Fasset

:love:

I guess it's all down to personal taste.  The V8s sounded ****.  Soul-less lawn mowers- or at least FOMs very best neutered reproduction of them.  Watch a V8 onboard lap and there is nothing to convey the violence going on.  All perfectly smooth and weedy...

As for that photo- like a plastic model that's been left out in the scorching sun and started to melt.  The wider track would be welcome though.

#11 Elba

Elba

• 318 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 14:04

Voted agnostic.

Still on the fence about the V6s, there's room for improvement but I will get used to them eventually

#12 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,681 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 14:06

I hated them last year, this year I hate them a little less. Your poll choices are too binary (love/hate). I'd say I've warmed up slightly, but it's mostly because I appreciate the technology but hate the sound/spectacle.

#13 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,683 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 14:09

Really disliked them last year but I'm used to them now.

The costs are however, horrific. They go against the entire ethos of 'Cost Saving'. More customer teams will fold before they are willing / can pay for these power units.

#14 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 14:09

I hated the V8s.

But I've liked these since the beginning.

Edited by Atreiu, 21 April 2015 - 14:09.

#15 Kobasmashi

Kobasmashi

• 734 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 14:12

I think the V8s were very underwhelming, they were like a shite version of the V10s (which were brilliant, incidentally). The V6Ts have their own sound, and it has more dimensions and depth to it, particularly when heard away from the rubbish sound on the FOM World Feed. I like them.  :up:

#16 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 869 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 14:22

They arn't as bad as they were last year. They sound a bit more interesting and aggressive now but i still don't like them. Maybe with the 1000hp formula if it comes i will become agnostic about them.

#17 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,251 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 14:29

I'm increasingly sympathetic to the fact that they're not loud enough, but they have put F1 well and truly at the forefront of technology, where it belongs. My only complaint is that they're so expensive as to be seriously threatening teams with extinction. Bernie, for once, is right to say that this problem needs examining. 

#18 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 14:36

I'm increasingly sympathetic to the fact that they're not loud enough, but they have put F1 well and truly at the forefront of technology, where it belongs. My only complaint is that they're so expensive as to be seriously threatening teams with extinction. Bernie, for once, is right to say that this problem needs examining. 

It's amortisation. The engines will get cheaper as it matures and the R&D drops out of pricing.

#19 JAW97

JAW97

• 219 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 14:44

Prefer them to the V8's. They're very expensive, but no doubt the cost will reduce over time.

Advertisement

#20 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 14:46

They aren't V10's, but I don't mind them.

Some people adapt to time marching on, accept that change isn't always to their liking and move on.

Others don't, and will continue to bite down hard on that lemon and moan about the passing of the V8 until they expire.

I've been witness to the passing of V6T's, V10's/12's and V8's. Was this always something I was happy with? No, not always. Did it last forever? Obviously not. Am I still here? Clearly, I am.

If the engines alone are making you want to turn off, then maybe it really is time for you to find a new formula to follow.

Edited by superden, 21 April 2015 - 16:07.

#21 tormave

tormave

• 1,627 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 14:46

I don't hate the new technology per se, but I dislike the engines costing so much and differing so wildly in their power output. Both translate to more predictability and less close racing at the top than what we had in the last V8 years. It'll take a long time to reach engine parity, and the cost of the units only serves to narrow the number of teams with realistic chances of being competitive.

#22 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,684 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 14:47

I love these V6 Turbo Hybrid power units:

1. V6TurboHybrid power units are environment friendly.

2. V6TurboHybrid power units are the way to go for road car makers too.

3. Costs will get cheaper for V6TurboHybrid power units as the technology gets mature and common. Even operation costs will be cheaper.

4. I love V6TurboHybrid power units technical sound.

5. Naturally aspirated engines scream like an amateur witch but V6TurboHybrid power units shout like a professional man.

Edited by RYARLE, 21 April 2015 - 14:51.

#23 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 14:53

No. Simples.

#24 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 15:01

It's too binary a choice for me to vote. There are a lot of aspects to the engines, not all of which fit the contemporary Like/Dislike (or worse, Love/Hate) categories.

For example, I strongly dislike the less than impressive noise that the cars now make, but I am quite interested in some of the technological advances. I am not at all excited about the highly restrictive regulations and the token system, nor by the Formula Endurance limit on the number of engines, but at the same time I am impressed that they've done as well as they have with a significantly smaller amount of fuel per race, etc.

All in all I consider it to be an improvement over the frozen-V8s, because now there is at least some form of competition.

To answer in this way; I have not changed my opinion. :up:

Edited by Nonesuch, 21 April 2015 - 15:02.

#25 uffen

uffen

• 1,892 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 15:05

I don't like it that the FIA has ceded engines over to the big manufacturers. Now, when they leave there is no Cosworth, Judd, Hart, etc. who can step in.

#26 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 15:11

It's too binary a choice for me to vote. There are a lot of aspects to the engines, not all of which fit the contemporary Like/Dislike (or worse, Love/Hate) categories.

For example, I strongly dislike the less than impressive noise that the cars now make, but I am quite interested in some of the technological advances. I am not at all excited about the highly restrictive regulations and the token system, nor by the Formula Endurance limit on the number of engines, but at the same time I am impressed that they've done as well as they have with a significantly smaller amount of fuel per race, etc.

All in all I consider it to be an improvement over the frozen-V8s, because now there is at least some form of competition.

To answer in this way; I have not changed my opinion. :up:

Your a*** must hurt from spending so much time on the fence! Come on, pick a side.

Light or dark? Jedi or Sith? Kanye or Taylor? V6T or bust?

#27 PaulTodd

PaulTodd

• 194 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 15:16

Not to be a buzz kill or anything but I specifically wrote this in the opening post:

It's a forum, if you start a topic for people to express an opinion. You can't dictate that comments stay neutral.

#28 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 15:19

V6s Hybrids the forefront of technology? haha

#29 kevinracefan

kevinracefan

• 2,729 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 15:21

Agnostic works as well. According to the OED:

1.1(In a non-religious context) having a doubtful or non-committal attitude towards something: ‘until now I’ve been fairly agnostic about electoral reform’

fair enough.. maybe a British / Europe thing?? I've never used it outside of religious discussion, here in 'murica...

#30 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 15:29

V6s Hybrids the forefront of technology? haha

The MGU-H definitely is.

#31 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 15:31

It's a forum, if you start a topic for people to express an opinion. You can't dictate that comments stay neutral.

It's off topic. The question is "Have you changed your mind? If so, why? If not, why not?"

Some people who didn't like the engines still managed to answer without having the usual moan.

#32 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 15:32

No they aren't. They'll be out-of-date in about 2 years time. F1 is generations behind

#33 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 15:35

No they aren't. They'll be out-of-date in about 2 years time. F1 is generations behind

The iPhone 6 will be obsolete in 5 months. So what? It doesn't mean it's not cutting edge.

And F1 is generations behind what exactly? Which road car company or racing series uses more advanced energy recovery technology?

Edited by CountDooku, 21 April 2015 - 15:35.

#34 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 15:37

It is just an engine. Ok power unit.I like the concept. Apart from the radically decreased sound level - which I have no problem with, frankly - There hardly is anything to criticize about it. What I really don't like is fuel restriction, and the four engine rule. Those two are making the cars 5 sec slower average IMHO.

Edited by Szoelloe, 21 April 2015 - 15:38.

#35 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 15:57

I like them.

It's just I liked the V8s more, and I liked the V10s and V12s even more so.

The older engines were unnecessarily powerful and relatively inefficient and unnecessarily noisy. But motor racing is a weekend pursuit in which being unnecessarily fast and unnecessarily noisy is kind of the point. Introducing something because the road car manufacturers are working on improving the efficiency and sustainability of road car engines, though laudible, risks missing the point of what motor racing is about. If you wanted to save fuel in motor racing regardless of the enjoyment of the fans, why not just reduce the number of laps?

The new engines have phenomenal torque, and the quiet, efficient, understated delivery of power is something that would really attract me if I were in the market for a high performance road car. However, I think it's something they'd have been better off introducing in NASCAR or WTCC. The engines lack the aggression required for single seater racing.

Edited by redreni, 21 April 2015 - 15:58.

#36 quaint

quaint

• 831 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 16:01

The current cars are way too heavy, and these fat, complex and expensive power units play a large part in that. Not to mention the lawn mower sound.. I'd rather “rewind” technology 10 years on this one.

#37 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 1,796 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 16:25

The restriction in fuel, PU usage per year and development are bothering me way more than the configuration of the power unit to be honest.

#38 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 16:28

Thought they were stupid last year.
Think they are stupid this year. 

Think the name, Power unit, is just ridiculous. 

But it's ok, Claire Williams want to solve the problems of F1 by telling the story of the power units. So I guess that's ok or something. 

#39 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 16:36

Love & hate. It's engines, pieces metal, you can't love them and you can't hate them. I accept them.

Advertisement

#40 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 4,006 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 16:48

The current cars are way too heavy, and these fat, complex and expensive power units play a large part in that. Not to mention the lawn mower sound.. I'd rather “rewind” technology 10 years on this one.

It seems, you are one of the few that actually know the regulations. As long as "4.1 Minimum weight: The weight of the car, without fuel, must not be less than 701kg at all times during the Event." is part of the regulations, I'll hate this engine format. If the 701kg would be replaced by a number below 620kg, i could become a fan of the power units.

#41 OzzDB

OzzDB

• 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 17:15

Can't say I love them or hate them.

LOVE
The technique behind it, these PU's are incredible engineering and the technique always attracted me the most in F1. And let's be honoust, hybrid technology is the way forward for now so they do have a place in F1.

HATE
What comes with it. The fuel flow restrictions, the 'lift and coast', development restrictions that are in place.

MAYBE
The sound - during race on tv horrible although on some footage e.g when exiting the garage or passing in the pitlane when reporters are doing an interview they sound pretty good. There is some anger to them. Never heard them in person yet so can't really judge.

Overall I think these engines deserve a place in F1 and are exiting, it just needs tweaking. Increase the fuel flow and revs. That will give more sound and more 'full on' racing. Think that these engines then will be accepted by many more people who will then start to appreciate the technical bits in it more too. And that will also be better for the manufacturers ;)

#42 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,002 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 17:28

I loved these from the start- especially the MGU-H. I can't understand the hatred for this- any part of an engine that uses waste heat to create power essentially for FREE has got to be a winner in my book. I bet if you put the idea to any engine designer in the sixties, seventies or the V10 era they'd jump at it.

Edited by Mat13, 21 April 2015 - 17:29.

#43 itsgreen84

itsgreen84

• 503 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 17:30

I hate them because they don't make an impressive noise.

I used to be able to take non-fan friends to track and just point them towards the circuit and they would be impressed with the sound.

Now I can make a phone call 12m from the track...

#44 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 17:39

Where is the 'i didnt care before, now i love them' option. I think they are fine. I got used to the sound and its great that there are some tokens to play around and not everything is just freezed.

#45 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 17:50

Don't really love or hate them. I like the intelligent technology. Don't really like the sound. My feelings haven't changed.

#46 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 18:06

As long as I never have to hear an off-thottle Renault (circa 2012) again, I'm happy.

#47 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 19:13

Pretty ambivalent towards them since the start, and still the same now. So I can't understand the fuss, personally.

I guess I'm not a typical motorsport fan when I say this, but to be honest, I don't really care what they sound like, how many cylinders they have, or how much BHP they produce. Noise and numbers don't make a blind bit of difference when it comes to my enjoyment of the sport.

What does make a difference, however, is the quality of the racing. I watch motorsport, first and foremost, to be entertained. I love seeing close, competitive racing, and I don't care what category it is, whether it's F1, touring cars, bikes or whatever.

All I really care about is the quality of the racing. They could put an engine the size of a sugar cube (Tooned reference, FTW! :lol:) and as long as we had exciting racing, it wouldn't matter to me.

Really, my only complaints about F1 at the moment come from how predictable it often is. I'd love it if we could have more than two teams capable of winning, and a more even playing field where money isn't the be all and end all to success. I realise of course, that not every race is going to be an edge-of-your-seat thriller, but the racing at the moment is just...meh. We often hear how F1 is 'the pinnacle of motorsport' - and surely that should be reflected in the quality of the racing.

TL;DR - I didn't particularly care either way at the start, and I'm still that way now.

Edited by JHSingo, 21 April 2015 - 19:14.

#48 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 19:25

My only grumble was how quiet they were at first, I did not like hearing the tires squealing over the engine noise. They are getting better though, the technology involved is really cool and I have always loved the sound of the turbo spooling up & down.

Edited by MikeV1987, 21 April 2015 - 19:31.

#49 bahis

bahis

• 67 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 20:45

How many of you that complain about the lack of noise have actually heard them in person?

I wouldn't exactly call them silent as you still need earplugs in the grandstands...

#50 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 1,132 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 21:47

Problem with these votes is that Hamilton/Merc fans will love them and give a big fat yes vote because they are winning.

I'm a Hamilton fan and I really do not like these pathetic rice-burner engines (no, wait power units) that are currently in F1. They're an embrassment.