Photo

Cholmondeley Pageant of Power 2015 - 12-14 June

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 15:39

Picked up some news of the entry for this year's event over the last few days. One or two interesting cars making their first visit, including Mac Hulbert with ERA R4D and Nick Topliss with ERA R4A, as well as Sean Danaher with his Maserati 8CM, and Dick Smith is entered with his Nurburg 'Nash. Doug Niven is due to drive David Taylor's Beetle Supersaloon and Stuart Graham and Nigel Garrett with the Faberge Camaro. Some interesting Hillclimb entries include the Farley Special and Chapman Mercury, the Gary Thomas Force PC as well as Stuart Rolt with the Ferguson P99.

Advertisement

#2 exhillclimber

exhillclimber

• 55 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:29

Also the amazing Fiat-Isotta that was on display at Race Retro, plus both Griffon and Hercules aircraft engines fired up on their trailers, plus the Vulcan in the sky.I could go on but that would spoil the fun. The theme this year is power......not to be missed.

Chris

#3 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 16:38

Looking forward to it  :)

#4 oldclassiccar

oldclassiccar

• 270 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 15:45

Weather was fine today, I uploaded a few photos this pm but there'll be more after the weekend.

http://www.oldclassi...pic.php?t=17378

c6.jpg

RJ

#5 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,546 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:32

10485646_10153367964413560_6902608020856

A walk in the park 

11401108_10153367964853560_4593160325098

Traffic Jam

#6 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 16:46

Weather was fine today, I uploaded a few photos this pm but there'll be more after the weekend.

http://www.oldclassi...pic.php?t=17378

Lovely selection of photos, Rick. Thanks for posting the link. How did I miss the collection of ice-cream vans?

#7 mariner

mariner

• 2,325 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:30

Being much closer to Goodwood than Cholmondeley I haven't yet been there but it looks like a super event.- and 65,000 attendees.

MSN have put up a nice series of photos, some obvious labelling erors but they didnt spoil my enjoyment anyway.

My question here to any Chomondeley attendee is " whose Chaparral and who is driving it", a rare car indeed.

http://www.msn.com/e...n=true#image=18

Also congratulations to Malcolm Ricketts and the HLR for such show of Lotus's

#8 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,546 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:15

My question here to any Chomondeley attendee is " whose Chaparral and who is driving it", a rare car indeed.

http://www.msn.com/e...n=true#image=18

Chaparral 2D - Owner listed as Richard Falconer; Driver listed as Ian Wright

Attendance on Friday looked a lot less on Friday than in previous years. Maybe the Vulcan drew in the crowds on Sunday?

#9 Slurp1955

Slurp1955

• 459 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:28

Chaparral 2D - Owner listed as Richard Falconer; Driver listed as Ian Wright

Attendance on Friday looked a lot less on Friday than in previous years. Maybe the Vulcan drew in the crowds on Sunday?

It's a Chaparral 2A "reproduction", Steve. I believe Richard had it built up around an original gearbox, at least that's what I recall him telling me after a brief chat at a Goodwood FOS just as he was starting the project.

#10 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,237 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:33

No, not a 2D - that would be the coupé version (eg. as per winning car at the 'Ring 1,000km in '66) - albeit the 2Ds were built upon the 2 chassis.

This would be Richard Falconer's re-creation/replica Chaparral 2 (retrospectively known as 2A), in early '65 guise - also seen at the S&DC sprints at Crystal Palace. Very loud.

edit:
Apologies - Slurp beat me to it!

Edited by 2F-001, 16 June 2015 - 09:33.

#11 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 893 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:35

I've only been to Cholmondeley the once, that was back in 2009 on the Sunday and it was wet ):  I heard bad reviews in the 2/3 years following in that those who displayed their cars in the various car club areas...so contributing to the spectacle....still had to pay the full spectator price to get in ):  Don't suppose that still happens? How much is admission now just to give me an idea in case I decide to pay a return visit next year? 

#12 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,546 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:07

It's a Chaparral 2A "reproduction", Steve. I believe Richard had it built up around an original gearbox, at least that's what I recall him telling me after a brief chat at a Goodwood FOS just as he was starting the project.

No, not a 2D - that would be the coupé version (eg. as per winning car at the 'Ring 1,000km in '66) - albeit the 2Ds were built upon the 2 chassis.

This would be Richard Falconer's re-creation/replica Chaparral 2 (retrospectively known as 2A), in early '65 guise - also seen at the S&DC sprints at Crystal Palace. Very loud.

edit:
Apologies - Slurp beat me to it!

Sorry chaps, I was just providing the information from the programme. I wouldn't know a 2A from a 2D (I was in 2C!)

I've only been to Cholmondeley the once, that was back in 2009 on the Sunday and it was wet ):  I heard bad reviews in the 2/3 years following in that those who displayed their cars in the various car club areas...so contributing to the spectacle....still had to pay the full spectator price to get in ):  Don't suppose that still happens? How much is admission now just to give me an idea in case I decide to pay a return visit next year? 

The first year CPoP provided 10 Free Three Day Tickets to each club. I understand that clubs now get a discounted price on the tickets which they all have to buy. The CPoP publicity machine are announcing record gates over the three days (although there seemed fewer in attendance on Friday this year in comparison to the last four years). I suspect the prospects of seeing the much beloved Vulcan circulating overhead helped with Sunday sales. As for Ticket Prices - Friday = £34.00 (inc access to the Concert); Saturday = £49.00 (inc access to the Concert); and Sunday £39.00.

#13 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 14:43

Ian Wright really put his heart into hustling the 'Chaparral' round as quickly as he could, winning his class in the process. I was talking to Richard Falconer (who wrote the Chaparral book with Doug Nye) about the car and the acquisition of an original GM 2-speed gearbox and torque converter was the trigger behind the project. I gather that Richard knew Jem Marsh, and the fibreglass tub was built by some Marcos guys. It appears occasionally at sprints and hillclimbs which are unsilenced, as it doesn't like having noise restrictors attached to the stackpipes. A most impressive project, which goes as well as it looks.

13-06-201520325_edited-120copy_zpsz08o8k

#14 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 18:14

I was chuffed to participate in the production Lotus parade on the Friday. I did take some snaps as well.

https://www.flickr.c...157654131795639

#15 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 19:02

I was chuffed to participate in the production Lotus parade on the Friday.

12-06-2015%20102%20copy_zpsxex30xre.jpg

#16 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:13

Ian Wright really put his heart into hustling the 'Chaparral' round as quickly as he could, winning his class in the process. I was talking to Richard Falconer (who wrote the Chaparral book with Doug Nye) about the car and the acquisition of an original GM 2-speed gearbox and torque converter was the trigger behind the project. I gather that Richard knew Jem Marsh, and the fibreglass tub was built by some Marcos guys. It appears occasionally at sprints and hillclimbs which are unsilenced, as it doesn't like having noise restrictors attached to the stackpipes. A most impressive project, which goes as well as it looks.

13-06-201520325_edited-120copy_zpsz08o8k

Ian Wright was certainly having a go. Seconds before Alan took this photo Ian cut a corner a bit and took off a brake duct (that black bit in front of the rear wheel but on the other side). They came and retrieved it afterwards.

I'm slowly sorting out my photos from Friday and Saturday.

18879062052_b337151423_z.jpg

The rest are here: https://www.flickr.c...157654567117165

#17 TRUNNION

TRUNNION

• 31 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:15

Not far from "Chumley" resides this gem of a 1971 Autocourse, patiently waiting for a kind benefactor to help alleviate the suffering in Nepal. http://forums.autosp...e-charity-sale/

#18 droopsnoot

droopsnoot

• 40 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:38

Club display discounts have varied. For the first couple of years club car and driver would get free admission, however this was changed to a discounted rate after that - my understanding is that more than one group of people formed their own clubs purely to gain free access to the event, took a club stand, filled it car-park style with any old junk and spoiled it for the rest of us. Despite displaying since the second year, I can't say I spend that much time in the car club areas so I can't quite recall exactly which groups this applies to, or just how bad the displays were. For at least one year, I think club cars still got free entry, but had to pay for paddock access, which caused some confusion as the definition of the "paddock" seemed to vary from "where the competition cars are parked" to "anything inside the track".

Up to 2013, buying a club display ticket for either Saturday or Sunday (or both) would bring free entry on Friday. This was withdrawn last year with all days having to be paid for -  I originally thought it was linked to the Status Quo concert on the Friday night but it was still the case this year when the concert was a rock covers band, not a "name" artiste. This equated to roughly 40% increase in the cost of doing all three days, so it wasn't surprising that a combination of potentially bad weather (Cholmondeley seems to have poor luck in that regard), having to take a day off work, and having very little in the way of timed runs on Friday combined to bring the club attendance down. I can't say it was any worse this year than last on Friday, but both were less busy than the year before. I recall the first year after the event was moved to June to chase better weather, we ended up with so much waterlogging that the car club displays had to be abandoned. They did put on an event for us in October, though, which included a couple of runs along the track at "display speeds", just as an apology for the problem - which was nice, as it wasn't their fault the weather was bad. Since then, they've done work on the grounds to try to improve things.

I forget exactly what I paid this year for three days with club discount, but I do know it was the same (including the booking fee) as I'd paid in 2014. I was quite disappointed at last years event, but I think it's picked up again this year. One comment was made to me that the lack of video screens near the start line made a big difference - I've never understood why there isn't a 2-hour DVD compilation on sale featuring edited highlights of the weekend each year, which would surely recoup some of the filming costs. The Vulcan was great in that we expected a flypast and it turned into a display.

Hopefully it'll grow again next year - I love the event but I can't summon up enough interest to drive to the other end of the country.

#19 OverDriver

OverDriver

• 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 19:25

Hi all.

Its a little later than we would have hoped, but we now have a Cholmondeley Pageant of Power 2015 Highlights video up and live. Which you can find by clicking the link below!

https://youtu.be/hX7PW9csi5w

Interviews include: -

Dougie Lampkin (Trials Legend)

Robbie Kerr (Radical RXC),

Gary Thomas (Force PC)

Christian Idden (Supermoto)

Allen Millyard (Master motorbike builder)

and of couse highlights from the event!

We are a growing Motoring channel and would appreciate any and all feedback and of course a 'like and subcribe' is always welcome!   ;)

https://www.youtube....driveMotorsport

Hope you enjoy!

Overdriver

Edited by OverDriver, 24 July 2015 - 20:41.

Advertisement

#20 exhillclimber

exhillclimber

• 55 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 08:47

Hi all.

Its a little later than we would have hoped, but we now have a Cholmondeley Pageant of Power 2015 Highlights video up and live. Which you can find by clicking the link below!

https://youtu.be/hX7PW9csi5w

Interviews include: -

Dougie Lampkin (Trials Legend)

Robbie Kerr (Radical RXC),

Gary Thomas (Force PC)

Christian Idden (Supermoto)

Allen Millyard (Master motorbike builder)

and of couse highlights from the event!

We are a growing Motoring channel and would appreciate any and all feedback and of course a 'like and subcribe' is always welcome!   ;)

https://www.youtube....driveMotorsport

Hope you enjoy!

Overdriver

Excellent, well done.

#21 RJE

RJE

• 122 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:54

13-06-201520325_edited-120copy_zpsz08o8k :confused:  

I Stumbled across this post while looking for something else and feel I should correct a couple of errors.  The glassfibre tub mentioned was not built by "some Marcos guys" but by myself and Steve Clements, who worked for me at the time, in my ASD workshops in Leeds, Kent.  The construction including all of the internal metal work was enclosed inside the lay up of glass cloth and epoxy resin and laid up into a 'use once' mould which we also constructed.  The suspension, steering and all of the steel work were produced in ASD's workshops as was the original body plug and the alloy former over which the windscreen was taken.  We also produced the patterns from which the front uprights were cast and machined the castings.  We also made up made the iconic inlet trumpets and the open exhaust system.  The entire car in its original concept was built by ASD and I have numerous pictures taken during the various stages of the construction of what I always thought to be an extremely interesting and very worthwhile project.  The second point that I think may be worthy of note is the matter of the torque converter.  This was not as implied a GM product, but after much research, I found a supplier who would build a unit to the required spec.  The gearbox was an original unit which was located in St Louis and I went with Richard Falconer to select the unit we required from a number being offered by the seller at the time.

Sadly it is some years now since I had anything to do with the project and I understand Richard Falconer has made some changes to the car including a new lighter body and some changes to the rear of the chassis tub, these changes may well have involved "some Marcos guys" but the last time I saw the car it was fundamentally the same unit as the car we built.  The whole project was a fantastic experience and I thank Richard Falconer for letting me undertake it, even if at times he did give me sleepless nights.  I have long ago retired from the business and ASD no longer exists but I do believe in 'praise where praise is due' and this project certainly does deserve some praise it was one of the most complex and difficult I have ever undertaken and nothing makes me happier than the thought of it being used in the manner to which it was intended and not just being left to sit rotting.

#22 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 22:40

It is with an air of sadness that I mention the death of Lavinia, Marchioness of Cholmondley earlier this month, aged 94. Her obituary in the Telegraph this weekend indicates that she was one of the grand chatelaines of her era, essentially rescuing Cholmondley and rejuvenating it. Her friend baroness Trumpington, a Bletchley Park veteran,  described her as an ordinary girl who married into quite an extraordinary life.  I suspect the whole concept of the CPoP would have appealed to her on several levels.

Bear in mind, and I hope to avoid politics or jingoism, whilst she was  overhauling the estate, inheritance taxes were at punitive levels  and the top rate of tax, on unearned income, was at 97p in the £,  so her endeavours very much flew in the face of the adversity to which many similar estates succumbed at that time. Perhaps a TNFer might post a link to her obituary.

Usual disclaimers, especially as I have thus far failed to trouble the CPoP ticket vendors.

Roger Lund

edit spl.

Edited by bradbury west, 24 November 2015 - 08:17.

#23 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,582 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 22:58

Here's the Telegraph obituary:

http://www.telegraph...y-obituary.html

#24 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:17

Thanks as always Tim

RL