* * - - - 3 votes

Alonso considering retirement?

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,304 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 18:05

Mika Hakkinen says he is "quite surprised" that Fernando Alonso is already talking about retirement while facing a "massive task" with McLaren.

Joining McLaren at the start of this season, Alonso has made it clear that the Woking team will be his last in Formula 1.

Earlier this month the Spaniard, who is now in his 15th season as a F1 driver, stated: "After 15 or 16 or 17 years of Formula 1 - whatever it will be - it's enough.

"I started with McLaren-Honda when I was three years old - a replica of my father; I will finish with McLaren-Honda, but the real one in Formula 1, and that will be one third of my life."

His comments have worried former McLaren World champion Hakkinen.

http://www.gptoday.c...by_Alonso_talk/

Apparently Alonso stated earlier this month, he's considering retirement already? Of course it's not about retiring after this year, but Mika Hakkinen is worried he's already speaking about it after just a few races with McLaren Honda.

Should we be worried as well? I can understand Alonso if this McLaren challenge ends in disappointment as well. He's lost seven years of his career by making wrong team decisions.

Advertisement

#2 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 18:07

I wouldn't be worried.

#3 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 18:09

Not worried. We should all be considering retirement ... at least those whom have not yet reached it.

#4 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 18:28

Wat?

#5 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 18:35

Apparently Alonso stated earlier this month, he's considering retirement already? Of course it's not about retiring after this year, but Mika Hakkinen is worried he's already speaking about it after just a few races with McLaren Honda.

Should we be worried as well? I can understand Alonso if this McLaren challenge ends in disappointment as well. He's lost seven years of his career by making wrong team decisions.

Much ado about nothing. IIRC, Alonso talked about retiring a few years from now and said he'd be at McLaren when he does. In that context, I guess Alonso has considered retiring for several years. 

I've been thinking about retirement for about 15 years, and will be for about another 6, Ithink.

#6 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 18:38

Mika was a fine driver, but not the smartest chap to ever sit in a car, I think. He tends to make bizarre comments from time to time.

As for Alonso's comments, I'd take them with a pinch of salt, too. Didn't he say more than once that he'd stay with Ferrari till the end of his career? It's like footballers who kiss the badge of the teamshirt when they score a goal, then a week later sign for someone else. All just PR talk, and quite normal.

#7 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 18:40

maybe in like 3-4 seasons, not next year.

#8 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

I see nothing in Alonso's comments which should alarm anyone. In fact, if I were a McLaren fan, it would be music to my ears. 

#9 Ducks

Ducks

• 829 posts

Odd topic considering other drivers like JB and Kimi will be gone before him.

#10 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 19:06

Whatever happens to the end of Alonsos career there is no doubt he achived far less than his talents would suggest he could. Could even be said his career was a waste of talent. And i have a similar feeling for Kimi.

#11 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,597 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 19:21

Most of the things Fred said were before he even stepped foot in the car. They were said during the driver announcement. 

#12 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,346 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 19:22

I don't think drivers know 3 or 4 years in advance when they will retire. If he reaches 2018 (say) and is still competitive and in demand, who knows how he would feel about carrying on. Most drivers retirements are influenced by diminishing opportunities in terms of race seats. That might be further away for Alonso than, say, Massa (who is the same age).  

#13 JAW97

JAW97

• 219 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 19:27

Eh, reckon he'll go until the end of 2018. If he manages to win a title by then, I wonder if he'll consider retiring after that?

#14 brr

brr

• 480 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 19:39

Should we be worried as well?

After next test he probably forgets all about retiring, for one reason or another.

#15 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 20:07

I don't think drivers know 3 or 4 years in advance when they will retire. If he reaches 2018 (say) and is still competitive and in demand, who knows how he would feel about carrying on. Most drivers retirements are influenced by diminishing opportunities in terms of race seats. That might be further away for Alonso than, say, Massa (who is the same age).  

Yeah, exactly. As I've said before, Alonso is as fit as anyone on the grid. After missing Oz he seemed to have missed very much being in the middle of the circus.No doubt that experience will factor into his decision process when it comes time to start planning his exit.  I don't see him walking away in three or four years, esp if he has a competitive car that could potentially get him more WDCs.

#16 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 20:08

Jesus, what is wrong with this board the last couple of days...scrolling up constantly. I can hardly even compose or even read a post now at all.

#17 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 20:14

His comments have worried former McLaren World champion Hakkinen.

For sure. :stoned:

#18 Guizotia

Guizotia

• 1,633 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 20:18

Jesus, what is wrong with this board the last couple of days...scrolling up constantly. I can hardly even compose or even read a post now at all.

Are you leaning on the space bar?

#19 Frankbullitt

Frankbullitt

• 3,080 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 20:19

Non story.

Advertisement

#20 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 20:23

Are you leaning on the space bar?

Nope. Not touching it ... and it's only happening on this site.

#21 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 20:33

Restarted my laptop. Seems to have helped.But it was also happening on my work PC yesterday. Same thing. Only happening on this site.  Bizarre. 

ETA: Eh, nope. Still happening.

Edited by AustinF1, 24 April 2015 - 21:31.

#22 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 20:44

2005 or 2006 Fernando was asked when he should quit with F1 and he answered when I am 30.  :lol: that´s very young-ish and early imo.

#23 Jvr

Jvr

• 7,594 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 20:45

Mika was a fine driver, but not the smartest chap to ever sit in a car, I think. He tends to make bizarre comments from time to time.

As for Alonso's comments, I'd take them with a pinch of salt, too. Didn't he say more than once that he'd stay with Ferrari till the end of his career? It's like footballers who kiss the badge of the teamshirt when they score a goal, then a week later sign for someone else. All just PR talk, and quite normal.

I think Mika was quoted wondering in the OP what on earth these reports were all about i.e. being quite surprised should Alonso consider retirement. Do you suggest that is a "bizarre comment"?

Edited by Jvr, 24 April 2015 - 20:47.

#24 Ducks

Ducks

• 829 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 20:47

2005 or 2006 Fernando was asked when he should quit with F1 and he answered when I am 30.  :lol: that´s very young-ish and early imo.

He probably thought he'd have 5+ titles by that point.

#25 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 20:49

Believe it or not, immediately after his two titles he stated that he would be happy to achieve three when he retires.

#26 REDalert

REDalert

• 671 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 21:13

Odd topic considering other drivers like JB and Kimi will be gone before him.

I wouldn't bet..

#27 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 21:30

I would.

#28 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 5,944 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 21:33

Him talking about finishing his career with Mclaren  shows his commitment to the team and project and not his desire to retire.

#29 Button4life

Button4life

• 6,005 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 22:53

Him talking about finishing his career with Mclaren  shows his commitment to the team and project and not his desire to retire.

http://www.autosport...9388.1429353673

Nop

#30 DRSwing

DRSwing

• 509 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 23:41

Restarted my laptop. Seems to have helped.But it was also happening on my work PC yesterday. Same thing. Only happening on this site.  Bizarre. 

Maybe it's your computer system's natural response to the several negative threads or comments about Alonso that seem to appear quite frequently lately ;)

I mean there have been quite a few threads relating to FA lately and even if the OP started with the good intention of having a good discussion, the threads always seem to degenerate to an Alonso bashing fest. Let's hope I'm wrong with this one.

I think Alonso has a good few years left in him and won't be retiring any time soon. I believe the comment about retirement came when he was asked during the China GP, as can be seen in the autosport article here http://www.autosport....php/id/118412/
It's more of a case of a driver answering questions when asked and then it somehow later became the driver talking about retirement out of the blue.

#31 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 23:53

In all threads? If there are a lot of big images in a thread you will get that effect, specially if you are on a slow network. Each image loaded will change the page size and with that the scroll.

#32 REDalert

REDalert

• 671 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 00:17

I would.

Well Kimi for example is trying to extend his contract instead of talking about retirement..

Edited by REDalert, 25 April 2015 - 00:19.

#33 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 00:18

Maybe ? 

#34 Ikebana

Ikebana

• 342 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:29

I think before he won any championship he said he'd be happy with two like Haikkinen.

#35 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:01

Didn't he say that the last time he signed up for McLaren? Doesn't necessarily mean he's going to walk away tomorrow. Maybe two-three years down the line, sure.

#36 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:03

So many Alonso topics lately I wonder why.

Non story but I bet the websites running it will be happy with the clicks.

#37 keshav

keshav

• 2,697 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:13

Alonso will retire in 2017. After he wins the championship with McLaren-Honda.

#38 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:26

Well Kimi for example is trying to extend his contract instead of talking about retirement..

So? I'd still be surprised if he's in F1 past Fred's exit.

#39 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:29

Maybe it's your computer system's natural response to the several negative threads or comments about Alonso that seem to appear quite frequently lately ;)

I mean there have been quite a few threads relating to FA lately and even if the OP started with the good intention of having a good discussion, the threads always seem to degenerate to an Alonso bashing fest. Let's hope I'm wrong with this one.

I think Alonso has a good few years left in him and won't be retiring any time soon. I believe the comment about retirement came when he was asked during the China GP, as can be seen in the autosport article here http://www.autosport....php/id/118412/
It's more of a case of a driver answering questions when asked and then it somehow later became the driver talking about retirement out of the blue.

Indeed.

In all threads? If there are a lot of big images in a thread you will get that effect, specially if you are on a slow network. Each image loaded will change the page size and with that the scroll.

Yep. All threads. It's kinda like the effect you're talking about, except without the images. And it's only on this forum. Nowhere else. And it's incredibly annoying. Am I the only one? I saw someone else liked my first post about it...

I click on a thread then click on the link for the last unread post or just go straight to the last post. I get there and I have about 5 seconds to read until the page just scrolls up almost to the top. 

ETA: I ran a virus scan and now it seems to be working well. Must have been some kind of malware that was only evident in Chrome.

Edited by AustinF1, 25 April 2015 - 06:41.

Advertisement

#40 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:56

Alonso on a Formula 1 journey...

#41 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:40

jil3pc.jpg

people making Alonso threads for the sake of it now, it's so obvious what's going on..

Edited by RedOne, 25 April 2015 - 08:41.

#42 Acathla

Acathla

• 597 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:20

Hope he will drive for a couple of years, he is just too good to quit at the moment and he deserves some titles before quitting. 

#43 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,270 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:49

In fact, if I am not mistaken you will find that at that time his goal was to win three WDCs (like Senna), ideally one of them at McLaren (again like Senna) and then retire. He changed his mind after 2007 (edit: found the link  https://sidepodcast....imes-a-champion )

In a sense, 2007 was a lucky year for F1 followers: had it gone all smoothly for McLaren and had Alonso won he might have left, and what would we all talk about during the long, dark months of the winter break?  ;)

Edit: in fact, he was still talking about three titles only a year ago http://www.jamesalle...d-championship/

#44 Beamer

Beamer

• 3,357 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:01

Think again ;-) Mika has a weird but funny sense of humor that not everyone understands. Without seeing his facial expression when saying anything it's impossible to judge. He might be sarcastic, sinical, satirical...

Or not... :p

#45 Hollow

Hollow

• 370 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:13

Does he look like he's about to give up? A fierce stance yes and intelligence behind it, and he won't give up, not until he gets his 3rd with McLaren -he's got unfinished business.

cc-kvibwyaahumo-large.jpg

Edited by Hollow, 25 April 2015 - 10:18.

#46 Paco

Paco

• 7,251 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:42

Well if rumors are true n honda can't fix it till 2017 to get back to front, if fixes now are only mid pack changes... N odd win chance in 2016... He wants to win, not just lap. And like Kimi.. 2nd isn't good enough, 1 win isn't good enough.. It's about real chances of winning each time out.

What's the point of risking your life when you have more money then you need, no chance of winning and just competing...

To be honest.. Maybe it is time to hang it up... Like villeneuve, taking chances doesn't always work out the way you hope.. So is life.

Personally, seeing where the programme is at, how long it may take and his years in f1... Might be a good time to bow out gracefully and give the chance to a kid to race along side Jensen and learn..

I have no doubt honda and mclaren will get it right sooner then later but for a man like Fernando.. That wait is to distant in the future.. Just lapping endless for a 2 years just to try to odd front 3 rows.. Madness..

Edited by Paco, 25 April 2015 - 12:54.

#47 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,529 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 16:44

Fernando will be in F1 for the next 4-5 years IMO.

#48 REDalert

REDalert

• 671 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 17:09

Alonsos retiring depends on McLaren and how far from lead they are next year. If McLaren is still fighting from random point finishes, I guess Alonso is out after 2016.

#49 REDalert

REDalert

• 671 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 18:00

Does he look like he's about to give up? A fierce stance yes and intelligence behind it, and he won't give up, not until he gets his 3rd with McLaren -he's got unfinished business.

cc-kvibwyaahumo-large.jpg

Unfinished business..yeah, maybe after his McLaren title one for Ferrari too, it has been a dream of his life for 5 years after all..

#50 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 18:04

Has Lewis got a contract yet?