* * - - - 3 votes

Bottas to replace Kimi ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
181 replies to this topic

#1 destiny

destiny

• 114 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:48

Is this the end of Kimi in F1 or at Ferrari ??

http://www.gptoday.c...errari__Report/

Advertisement

#2 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,722 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:50

According to @OskariSaari sources @ValtteriBottas has no precontract with @ScuderiaFerrari

#3 Ducks

Ducks

• 829 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:00

Dimi PAPADOPOULOS @f1enigma 54m54 minutes ago

NextGenAuto : According to sources Bottas has signed a pre-contract with Ferrari #F1

I guess he's covering both angles.

#4 Guizotia

Guizotia

• 1,633 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:03

To say that they signed a pre-contract, even if wrong, does that mean that they must have at least been speaking to each other?

#5 Briz

Briz

• 453 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:13

If that's true, even as a Vettel supporter I have to state the obvious - it's starting to look like Ferrari's preferred driver level is that of Massa.

#6 Cesc

Cesc

• 1,204 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:18

If that's true, even as a Vettel supporter I have to state the obvious - it's starting to look like Ferrari's preferred driver level is that of Massa.

If you can't keep Alonso and Hamilton is out of reach, Vettel is a logical choice. Andit is questionable if Kimi is better than Bottas (or if Massa is a much worse driver than Kimi in fact). All in all, I think Bottas is at least at a similar level of Kimi.

Anyway, quite early for a silly season isn't it?

#7 ionutz2oo0

ionutz2oo0

• 213 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:23

If you can't keep Alonso and Hamilton is out of reach, Vettel is a logical choice. Andit is questionable if Kimi is better than Bottas (or if Massa is a much worse driver than Kimi in fact). All in all, I think Bottas is at least at a similar level of Kimi.

Anyway, quite early for a silly season isn't it?

dunno how to put this and not sound like a fanboy but we kind of know that Kimi is a better driver...1 WDC for him, none for the others. More successful since his comeback from the WRC than Massa has been since 08. 

Also, Ferrari has an option on Kimi for next year and Arrivabene supports him and at the moment I don't think anyone at Ferrari prefers Bottas to Kimi. 

#8 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 1,008 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:25

That same article that is being brought up in the first post also says :

The rumours also indicate that the forthcoming F1 entrant Haas, which is being widely referred to as a Ferrari ‘B team’, could house Raikkonen next year, as the Finn is pushing for the 2016 ‘option’ in his contract to be signed.

Yeah right...

#9 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:26

The rumours also indicate that the forthcoming F1 entrant Haas, which is being widely referred to as a Ferrari ‘B team’, could house Raikkonen next year, as the Finn is pushing for the 2016 ‘option’ in his contract to be signed.

Yeah right...

I've seen this rumour previously with Bottas going to Haas for 2016 replacing Kimi in 2017

#10 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,066 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:29

Bottas doesn't look like a superstar in the making. They could just as well keep Kimi for another year...

#11 ionutz2oo0

ionutz2oo0

• 213 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:40

Yeah right...

yeah i think he'd rather go back to the WRC and dig his car out of the snow instead of being lapped and fighting at the back of the grid. 

He doesn't just race for the Money, he got 120 mil just from Ferrari from 07-10, plus what he got from McLaren before and whatever he gets now. He wants to fight at the top and there are really only 2 or 3 teams that can offer that, and one of them has an option on him...Would they let him go to one of their rivals? I don't think so.

#12 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:44

I think Bottas could very well replace Kimi in 2017 or 2018, but not in 2016. I think he is the best replacement option. 

#13 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,223 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:48

Makes sense they'd sign him on a pre-contract to cover their bases (like they did with Vettel a few years before his move) but I think Kimi's staying for another year, depending on whether he can mantain his current adequate level of performance.

#14 aramos

aramos

• 1,498 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:55

Bottas is a sideways step. Ferrari fired Massa for underperforming, why hire a driver only slightly better than him?

#15 Kimble

Kimble

• 1,240 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:58

It's a quiet week.

#16 sergey1308

sergey1308

• 116 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:01

I know that the thread is about Bottas/Kimi, but you forgot rumors about Hamilton's move to Ferrari. I find it is more interesting and promising for Ferrari to have SF/LH instead of SF/VB. What are the latest rumors about LH?

#17 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,006 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:13

This is a really bad sign for Formula 1 as it suggests even Ferrari is running out of money.  So for Kimi's replacement they have to choose a driver who uses the same digit, to save money on cutting new decals, and the same nationality, so they don't need to get new flags for publicity.

If Hulk had chosen number 75, Vettel would have had to watch his back.

#18 Radion

Radion

• 2,524 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:15

I know that the thread is about Bottas/Kimi, but you forgot rumors about Hamilton's move to Ferrari. I find it is more interesting and promising for Ferrari to have SF/LH instead of SF/VB. What are the latest rumors about LH?

SV/LH won't happen for the same reasons FA/LH won't happen (again). 

#19 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,066 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:17

Lewis is an unquestionable upgrade over Kimi, and would make sense if they want the best available drivers (IF he is even available). Bottas is a sideways step, they could just as well get the Hulk, keep Kimi, possibly Grosjean (even though i rank him slightly lower, but it's up for debate) or possibly someone else...

Advertisement

#20 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:18

Bottas to join Toto at Merc.....

KR to retire ....

/crystal ball

Edited by jjcale, 30 April 2015 - 09:19.

#21 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,722 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:19

Please discuss Hamilton's contract in the thread about Hamilton's contract instead of hijacking this one.

http://forums.autosp...nd-other-stuff/

#22 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:19

Id go for Vallteri if he would show he is indeed noticably better than Massa, but he isnt doing that. I think Kimi will get his extension. I hope. Cmon Maurizio, sign the damn thing so we can put this to bed.

#23 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 1,151 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:25

Is this the end of Kimi in F1 or at Ferrari ??

http://www.gptoday.c...errari__Report/

A very speculative article. A couple of points.

Mika Hakkinen, quoted. is regularly talking up Bottas and talking down Raikonnen.  He did this to the Williams board when Kimi was negotiating his comeback with Parr.

Finally, the rumours suggest Williams would fill the seat vacated by Bottas with Pascal Wehrlein, who is engine supplier Mercedes’ reserve driver.

To accommodate the Bottas-Wehrlein movement, Mercedes may be prepared to discount the fee paid for its engines by Williams, who recorded a $50 million financial loss in 2014. (GMM)

Similar 'rumours' suggested Wehrlein would stand in for Bottas if his back condition persisted. In fact, Williams hired Sutil as reserve, which was not rumoured at all.

Toto Wolff also has a management interest in Bottas and I am sure he would prefer to keep him as a Mercedes driver. At the moment, I see more chance of Hamilton going to Ferrari, or Rosberg going away, and Bottas being promoted.

But again, pure speculation.  

#24 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,901 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:32

Bottas will be a "massive" downgrade, if they want to get rid of Kimi or Kimi wants to retire, the should hire Hulkenberg, like they should have done a couple of years ago, or even better, Ricciardo, his perfect for Ferrari.

#25 aray

aray

• 5,830 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:38

I too think Hulk or Riccardo would be better option than Bottas,if they want to replace Kimi..

Then again,i don't see Kimi being replaced by Ferrari for 2016..

#26 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 1,008 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:42

Bottas will be a "massive" downgrade, if they want to get rid of Kimi or Kimi wants to retire, the should hire Hulkenberg, like they should have done a couple of years ago, or even better, Ricciardo, his perfect for Ferrari.

Yeah if Hamilton isn't available I'd try Ricciardo too.

#27 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:24

Ricciardo is the way to go. 

But then again, Vettel is there...

#28 realracer200

realracer200

• 1,762 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:25

in the same car, Bottas never finished a season with less points than Massa. unlike another driver. just saying.

#29 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:41

Get DR.... doesnt look like Red Bull's woes are going to be solved anytime soon. 

#30 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:45

I do believe that Arrivabene speaks the truth when he say that Kimi's performance will decide if he gets a new contract or not. Anything else would be strange. Since they have not made a decision, of course they are looking at various options and Bottas is one of them. There are others. In fact, all teams are always looking at various options so almost all rumours have at least a grain of truth in them.

#31 dreamer

dreamer

• 1,922 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:49

Mika Hakkinen, quoted. is regularly talking up Bottas and talking down Raikonnen. 

He is Bottas manager, so I guess it's normal.

I like Bottas, but holding Vettel behind in a single race doesn't mean that he should immediately sign a contract with Ferrari... He still has a lot to prove and he still haven't won a race yet... 

#32 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:53

I think Bottas is going the way of Hulkenburg. Clearly a talent but not quite showing that x-factor to really make a top team sign him. 

If Ferrari need to sign Bottas or Kimi for next year in the near future, the case for Bottas is just not compelling enough. He needs to do something sensational soon. 

Besides, with Vettel in the other car, there's no need to take a gamble. 

Edited by Rinehart, 30 April 2015 - 10:55.

#33 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:54

Yeah right...

:lol:

Kimi would never do that in a million years.

#34 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:04

Kimi will continue with Ferrari and Bottas will stay at Williams or is more likely heading to Mercedes. Häkkinen works for mercedes as does certain Toto Wolff, both are part of Bottas management team, so if Bottas goes anywhere from Williams, it will be a car with Mercedes engine.

Edited by Vesuvius, 30 April 2015 - 11:05.

#35 NoSanityClause

NoSanityClause

• 1,390 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:16

If true, this kinda proves that Arrivabene's philosophy is "To finish first, you must first Finnish".

#36 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:17

I fail to see how Bottas would be a downgrade. Bottas is faster and more consistent than Massa who at his best could beat Alonso and Kimi. Hulkenberg isn't actually setting the world on fire against Perez. Sure he is more consistent, but not necessary faster than Perez who got kicked out of McLaren for not keeping up with Button. 

#37 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:21

Kimi will continue with Ferrari and Bottas will stay at Williams or is more likely heading to Mercedes. Häkkinen works for mercedes as does certain Toto Wolff, both are part of Bottas management team, so if Bottas goes anywhere from Williams, it will be a car with Mercedes engine.

Having connections does not mean that this is a certain thing by any means.

I think Kimi is likely to continue with Ferrari for one more year, but after that Bottas is a more likely replacement than most on the grid, I would think. Of course a lot can happen in the meantime.

#38 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:25

Bottas doesn't look like a superstar in the making. They could just as well keep Kimi for another year...

Do they want that alongside Vettel after how he was thumped by Ricciardo?

#39 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:29

I fail to see how Bottas would be a downgrade. Bottas is faster and more consistent than Massa who at his best could beat Alonso and Kimi. Hulkenberg isn't actually setting the world on fire against Perez. Sure he is more consistent, but not necessary faster than Perez who got kicked out of McLaren for not keeping up with Button.

That and also because his attitude sucked.

Advertisement

#40 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 14:21

According to Oskari Saari, Bottas can't have done precontract with Ferrari as he has an option with Williams, so it's not allowed to do any precontracts.

#41 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,307 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 14:25

Bottas is a sideways step. Ferrari fired Massa for underperforming, why hire a driver only slightly better than him?

On the evidence of this season I'm not at all convinced Bottas is better than Massa. I'd take Hulkenberg or Grosjean over him right now. This news is surprising and disappointing if it's true. But they considered signing Hulkenberg in 2013, so I'd be amazed if he was totally out of the picture - unless, of course, he's already been snapped up by Porsche...

#42 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,223 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 14:29

On the evidence of this season I'm not at all convinced Bottas is better than Massa. I'd take Hulkenberg or Grosjean over him right now. This news is surprising and disappointing if it's true.

This season has had only 4 races - make that 3 if you exclude Australia where Bottas didn't start - and Bottas had some back problems. If this trends continues for the rest of the year sure, I'll agree with you, but I think it's premature to conclude so.

I already thought Bottas was the quicker of the pairing in Bahrain, even if Massa obviously was massively disadvantaged by starting from the back.

#43 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 14:32

According to Oskari Saari, Bottas can't have done precontract with Ferrari as he has an option with Williams, so it's not allowed to do any precontracts.

This.

All these reports on these "pre-contracts" are just the press looking for clicks and seeking attention. If they get it right and the driver move happens, they'll be the first ones to have reported it exclusively. If the move doesn't happen, they can just say "oh well, it was just a PRE-contract, nothing set in stone."

Speculative and attention seeking reporting. In other words: bullshit. 

#44 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 14:49

The fact that it is on twitter makes me more inclined to believe it.

If it appears on Bebo and MySpace, then we know it is a goer. 

#45 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 969 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 15:20

A year ago Bottas been rooted as replacement for Kimi when the Finn (latter) was under-performing.

Now a year later, people still talking about Bottas replacing Kimi again when the Finn (again latter) was performing.

Next year people will talk about Bottas replacing Kimi again.  :lol:

#46 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,401 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 15:32

So, Ferrari are going to offer Williams a 30% discount on its Mercedes engines - I think not...

Edited by Bloggsworth, 30 April 2015 - 15:33.

#47 krobinson

krobinson

• 610 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 16:00

On the evidence of this season I'm not at all convinced Bottas is better than Massa. I'd take Hulkenberg or Grosjean over him right now. This news is surprising and disappointing if it's true. But they considered signing Hulkenberg in 2013, so I'd be amazed if he was totally out of the picture - unless, of course, he's already been snapped up by Porsche...

Exactly what has Hulkenberg done? I'd take Bottas over him any day and Grosjean too. Hulk is a good driver, but nothing has shown that would deserve a place in one of the very best car. So far I don't think he has shown himself to be much better than Perez.

As for this news

1) Kimi would rather retire than drive for a new F1 team, who will most likely be a backmarker.

2) Bottas to Ferrari is a possibility, but that will depend on how KR drivers this year. if he does well, then he will also drive Ferrari in 2016. If not, then Bottas is a possibility.

#48 Eruobodo

Eruobodo

• 918 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 16:02

Ricciardo is the way to go. 

But then again, Vettel is there...

Would love to see Vettel's face if Ricciardo is announced, Ferrari, please make it happen.

#49 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 16:03

So far I don't think he has shown himself to be much better than Perez.

I agree

But what has Bottas really done? So far, I don't think he has shown himself to be much better than Massa. I don't see much of a difference between Hulk, Bottas or Romain.

#50 brr

brr

• 480 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 16:07

I don't see much of a difference between Hulk, Bottas or Romain.

Only one of them nearly decapitated Alonso. But I like the other two as well.