- - - - -

Lotus getting tired of Maldonado?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#1 RockBrocaine

RockBrocaine

• 107 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 22:04

With recent articles stating they are now financially sound and today stating Pastor needs to earn his stay, do you think it's an idicator the  PSVDA money is no longer needed? I admit, I had higher hopes for this guy, but he never learned as Grosjean did and still seems to be pretty delusional and hardheaded. The oil money certainly allowed Lotus to do more, but if that doesn't result in points then what's the point?(see what I did there? :)

Advertisement

#2 ionutf1fan

ionutf1fan

• 191 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 22:22

They can find a guy who will pay and also earn some points.

Maybe not 29 mil, but 15 mil and regular points may be a better deal.

Also, this is like the fourth Maldonado thread in the last 2 weeks! No need for new thread after each Maldonado news.

#3 REDalert

REDalert

• 671 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 22:53

With recent articles stating they are now financially sound and today stating Pastor needs to earn his stay, do you think it's an idicator the  PSVDA money is no longer needed? I admit, I had higher hopes for this guy, but he never learned as Grosjean did and still seems to be pretty delusional and hardheaded. The oil money certainly allowed Lotus to do more, but if that doesn't result in points then what's the point?(see what I did there? :)

I think that it's more about PDVSA closing their money faucet. The moment Maldonado lose PDVSA support is the moment he is out of F1.

#4 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 23:39

Pastor can always be counted on to spice things up, on or off the track. He's kinda like the somewhat unbalanced uncle, who forgets his meds every family reunion.

#5 Rakaman

Rakaman

• 196 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 00:59

Maybe he should be given a special car and be allowed to drive randomly around the track trying to find someone to crash into. You know, to spice up the show.

#6 REDalert

REDalert

• 671 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:18

Maybe he should be given a special car and be allowed to drive randomly around the track trying to find someone to crash into. You know, to spice up the show.

Or maybe something new instead?

#7 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:49

Also, this is like the fourth Maldonado thread in the last 2 weeks! No need for new thread after each Maldonado news.

Everyone on this planet except Pastor Maldonado already knows the moment he doesn't get support from Venezuela he will be out, even so Lotus wouldn't wait until the end of the season but straight away before the next race he will be back home.

Perez gives 15 millions to Force India in form of his Telmex sponsors and he is a better driver than Pastor and even Romain plus the rumors of him going to Lotus have been there for a while.

#8 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:40

You know your days are numbered when Perez is seen as the more consistent and reliable pay driver

#9 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 693 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:54

For all the reasons mentioned, Maldonado needs to go. I'm sure he's handing onto his one race victory as justification as proof he deserves his place in F1 irrespective of the budget he brings with him. And in his mind, I'm sure that not one single incident he's been involved in is his fault. Then there's the comfort of the massive sponsorship he brings along with him.

This attitude at Williams grew tiresome, and I think the same his happening now. And that's without mentioning, that on the whole. His driving standards are piss poor, by any stretch of the imagination. I think this is Maldonado's last year in F1. I won't shed at his eventual departure, as I'm sure not many others will.

#10 kedia990

kedia990

• 433 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:02

You know your days are numbered when Perez is seen as the more consistent and reliable pay driver

:rotfl:  :up:

#11 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,440 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:20

Who wouldn't? This guy has no place in F1. 

#12 Mart280

Mart280

• 400 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:50

Early-Disabled-Car.jpg
Pastors new motor, Enstone can moan all they like but wont they go under without his money ? maybe they will piss him off and he will be on his merry way again with his ÂŁ30m in his back pocket, where will he rock up next ? Haas perhaps ?

Edited by Mart280, 07 May 2015 - 17:56.

#13 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:24

I'm amazed PDVSA are still sponsoring the sport, they are screwed back in Venezuela. I think this will be his last season. 

#14 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,304 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:54

If Lotus can get Telmex and PĂ©rez, then it's bye bye for Maldonado. PĂ©rez was just as erratic als Maldonado, but after his switch to Force India he seems to have calmed down and is able to score points on a regular basis.

#15 taran

taran

• 4,425 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:56

My first thought is that Lotus just wants to tell Maldonado that they still call the shots, even if his money is keeping them alive. A face-saving exercise. It's not as if Lotus can actually tell the truth, this is (new) Lotus after all....with checques still waiting clearance....

But perhaps it may be a message to the sponsor, as things must be getting a bit hot in Venezuela. Keep paying us...Maldonado needs $$$ to keep driving.

But however you look at it, pissing off the sponsor is a silly thing to do. Look at Williams. They are yet to leverage their increased performance post Maldonado into $$$$. Losing Maldonado's money has hurt them, no doubt. Lotus could be facing the same if they alienate him.

#16 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:57

If Lotus can get Telmex and PĂ©rez, then it's bye bye for Maldonado. PĂ©rez was just as erratic als Maldonado, but after his switch to Force India he seems to have calmed down and is able to score points on a regular basis.

watch Australia again, he is erratic and even more stubborn during impossible moves than MAL

#17 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:00

also I doubt that Lotus now apparently rescued from the brink of bankrupcy is now comfy with $, they need the bigges $ possible, just look at their woman deal and Palmer deal...

they still need every penny and from driver quality PER has nothing what MAL dosen't have... PER is also immature spoilt stubborn wannabe... if he had won Malysia fien but he didn#t and MAL scored in BCN in the dry.

Edited by SealTheDiffuser, 07 May 2015 - 10:00.

#18 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:31

I'm amazed PDVSA are still sponsoring the sport, they are screwed back in Venezuela. I think this will be his last season. 

I am too. I understand that one of the major criticisms the government is facing is that oil profits aren't properly reinvested into public services.

#19 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:43

Also, this is like the fourth Maldonado thread in the last 2 weeks! No need for new thread after each Maldonado news crash.

Fixed that for ya.

Advertisement

#20 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:40

watch Australia again, he is erratic and even more stubborn during impossible moves than MAL

Agree, sometimes i wonder why Perez is still in F1 with that behaviour BUT 90% of the people would rather have him than Maldonado look at this season even with an inferior car he has 5 points compared to Maldonado 0

#21 Logiso

Logiso

• 311 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:03

Perez and Maldonado have different problems. Perez is way more likely to wreck another driver, and do an over ambitious overtaking manouver. Maldonado's race craft is actually okay, he just does stupid mistakes by himself on a regular basis. Perez is good enough to be in F1 though, Maldonado is far too erratic to be in F1 if it wasn't for his money.

#22 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:24

I am too. I understand that one of the major criticisms the government is facing is that oil profits aren't properly reinvested into public services.

Well, they subsidise the oil for the population big-time  - a litre of fuel in Venezuela is $0.015, or ÂŁ0.001. So filling up a 60 litre VW Golf will cost 90 cents, or 60p. Reducing these subsidies will help massively, but the population are so hooked on it, no government would survive changing the situation. 

Edited by Kristian, 07 May 2015 - 12:25.

#23 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:29

Well, they subsidise the oil for the population big-time - a litre of fuel in Venezuela is $0.015, or ÂŁ0.001. So filling up a 60 litre VW Golf will cost 90 cents, or 60p. Reducing these subsidies will help massively, but the population are so hooked on it, no government would survive changing the situation.

Yeah but when people doesnt have food nor toliet paper it doesn't make sense to spend millions of usd in a driver not even if he was Alonso level let alone Maldonado.

#24 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:30

The guy has 0 points. He is worse than Kimi.

#25 kevinracefan

kevinracefan

• 2,729 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 13:06

start using steel wishbones... when he crashes send him back out with the bent ones...
"sorry, Pastor.. you made the last adjustments... you'll have to get by"

#26 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 14:10

Yeah but when people doesnt have food nor toliet paper it doesn't make sense to spend millions of usd in a driver not even if he was Alonso level let alone Maldonado.

Oh I'm not condoning it at all.... thats why in my original post I said I was surprised they are still even near F1. 

#27 DCComics

DCComics

• 24 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 16:17

Let's just conveniently forget PĂ©rez has actually displayed impressive racecraft more than a few times in his career.

While I believe Maldonado is extremely quick, I am getting tired of the way he drives. Lotus could not tame him like they did Grosjean.

Perez has matured since he joined FI, and he was man enough to apollogise to Grosjean after what happened in Malaysia. Maldonado has not shown that kind of maturity.

I hope he manages to get his **** together, I want to see him win again. But time is running out.

#28 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 12:05

Sometimes I wonder if I should feel sorry for Pastor.

Thankfully I am not a fan of his. But I imagine a fan of Pastor would be greatly annoyed that almost single post about him is an attack or a joke!

#29 DCComics

DCComics

• 24 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 18:29

I feel for him, he was driving very good today. Lotus did well in retiring him though. Driving with the rear wing like that can be dangerous for him or anyone else around.

#30 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,327 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 18:37

I think he has generally very good race pace this year but each time he goes into trouble himself or due to unreliability of his car. I would like to see where he can finish having a clean weekend, I have a feeling he could be beating Grosjean more often, than not, but to finish first, first you have to finish.

#31 stirkkii

stirkkii

• 93 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 18:45

Maldonado... How can he be dead last in the drivers championship? Even behind the Manors.

#32 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,919 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 18:52

I'm struggling to understand how Maldonado's wing end-fence broke from wheel-to-wheel contact.

#33 ninetyzero

ninetyzero

• 706 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 18:55

Maldonado... How can he be dead last in the drivers championship? Even behind the Manors.

Maybe because the Manor drivers actually finish races?

#34 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 19:03

I'm struggling to understand how Maldonado's wing end-fence broke from wheel-to-wheel contact.

MAL hit GRO left front tyre and/or frontwing with the back of his car when GRO was in the way and din't yield after coming back onto track after a mistake

on youtube ou will find video of incident

Edited by SealTheDiffuser, 10 May 2015 - 19:04.

#35 stirkkii

stirkkii

• 93 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 19:04

Maybe because the Manor drivers actually finish races?

Maldonado vs. the Marussia 2015:

AUSTRALIA: MAL 15th. retired. (only 15 cars started the race). Marussias didn't start.
MALESIA: MAL 16th. Retired. Merhi in the Marussia 15th. Stevens didn't start.

CHINA: MAL 18th. Retired. Marussias 15th and 16th.

BAHRAIN: MAL 15th. Marussias 16th and 17th.

SPAIN: Mal 18. ********. Marussias 17th and 18th.

Pastor please.

Edited by stirkkii, 10 May 2015 - 19:10.

#36 ninetyzero

ninetyzero

• 706 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 19:37

AUSTRALIA: MAL 15th. retired. (only 15 cars started the race). Marussias didn't start.

Pastor please.

Thought as much. Not been a vintage year for Pastor has it? Hard to believe he is a race winner based on those pitiful results.

#37 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 20:38

I have often been a critic of Pastor's driving, so to be fair I must say he drove well and deserved a better result today.

#38 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 20:59

I have often been a critic of Pastor's driving, so to be fair I must say he drove well and deserved a better result today.

He drove ok but he got what he deserve, he didn't gave Romain space when he overtook him and that make Romain crash into Maldonado back breaking his rear wing and leading to his retirement so he made his own luck.

#39 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 21:14

He drove ok but he got what he deserve, he didn't gave Romain space when he overtook him and that make Romain crash into Maldonado back breaking his rear wing and leading to his retirement so he made his own luck.

not correct

Advertisement

#40 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 21:31

Pastor please.

Spain: best typo ever :lol:

#41 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:09

This looks like a discussion for the team-mate thread.