Posted 07 May 2015 - 19:06

I think you will like this bit of driving more Fatboy

Let me hear your thoughts on the cars and everything else related to them

Advertisement

#2 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,642 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 23:14

Interesting video. If you are designing a hybrid supercar with the goal of lowest lap times, it doesn't make sense to have no drive on the front axle. Front axle offers the best potential for energy harvesting and AWD is a huge advantage on tight circuits.

#3 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 14:55

Compact designs are lighter. And having the electric motor on the gearbox does save weight as well as making it work at optimum rpm. But as power goes up so does the importance of getting it down at all times Balance becomes harder too as the power units are all in the rear. I also know that the Mclaren is often considered faster. At least i think it has done better on other tracks due to DF and power etc. But on a track like this i guess the elevation and the tight bends favours the 918

What i found most interesting is the comments on the ABS systems. It was better at the 918. I have spoken about the potential gains of a good ABS before and it is also interesting to hear Pobst talk about the Lamborghini Huracans ABS in another video. (same YT account) Fantastic car in general they said.

This video i feel showcases some of the things that explains why racing attracts less viewers. The race cars are no faster than high en road cars!

Edited by MatsNorway, 08 May 2015 - 14:56.

#4 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,522 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 18:42

The disparity in certain tech levels between road cars and race cars continues to widen, the McLaren seems a bit more tied to racing convention--to its detriment here. It's hard for me to think about street legal cars equipped with useful and significant performance technologies that top level racing series often don't allow, at some subjective point it appears absurd. I guess we'll see.