• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:39

By: Adam CooperF1 reporter
2015-05-08
Formula 1 drivers have agreed to work together to get closer to the fans, with their plans due to be unveiled at the Monaco Grand Prix.

Their ideas were discussed at today's meeting of the Grand Prix Drivers' Association (GPDA) in Barcelona, and more details will be revealed in Monte Carlo.

Speaking to Motorsport.com, GPDA chairman Alex Wurz said: "We always said that we are primarily for safety. But we're also for the fans of the sport, and we want to connect to them in a more interactive way. And that's what we're planning.

"I think in Monaco we'll be able to say much more and give details on what we're going to be doing."

motorsport.com

Any thoughts about this ?

You can follow GPDA on twitter @GPDA_

Edited by SophieB, 10 May 2015 - 07:07.
Please do not paste whole articles.

Advertisement

#2 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:01

It'll inevitably be a token gesture.

How do you get close to 294,000 people (British Grand Prix 2013 attendance figure)?

You can't.

#3 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:07

F1 has bigger problems.

#4 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:12

I'm always scared when I read those kind of things, before you know it we have "Fanboost" in F1..

#5 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:18

F1 has bigger problems.

I don´t think we are talking about problems even if it´s a lot of problems in F1. It´s a campaign #racingunited by Alex Wurz.

...but my first thought was how on earth is this going to work "getting closer to the fans via social media" ? 

I've always been thinking of to avoid to have any interactions with drivers because they have so many interactions so my messages and many others disappear in the amount.= pointless waste of time. But I´am grateful they are follow-able especially the teams and some journalists as shares interesting stuff as I never would know about without social media. We will see what Wurz & co. have in store.  

#6 Peter0Scandlyn

Peter0Scandlyn

• 727 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:59

Wonder how he's going to achieve this?

Empty words I fear.

#7 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:39

I don´t think we are talking about problems even if it´s a lot of problems in F1. It´s a campaign #racingunited by Alex Wurz.

...but my first thought was how on earth is this going to work "getting closer to the fans via social media" ? 

Not far enough. Each of us should get one afternoon where we get to hang out with a driver of our choice. I plan to use mine making Fernando Alonso trudge around the Cribbs Causeway shopping centre helping me choose a new sofa and chairs for the living room.

#8 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,125 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:43

I think what they did at the USGP in 2007 was pretty cool; they called all the drivers up on stage, two at a time, for live interviews in front of the fans. I remember that vividly, as I was right in front of the stage. Was a pretty cool experience, I think--maybe with the help of social media the audience could tweet questions for the drivers during the interview. Would be pretty neat if they did that more often.

Not far enough. Each of us should get one afternoon where we get to hang out with a driver of our choice. I plan to use mine making Fernando Alonso trudge around the Cribbs Causeway shopping centre helping me choose a new sofa and chairs for the living room.

:up: :rotfl:

Out of curiosity, why Alonso? :lol:

#9 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,141 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:17

Not many people can say they've been sofa shopping with a real life samurai.

#10 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:25

They can start with forcing FOM (?) to fix the live timing app. That will be good for the fans.

#11 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:05

:lol: ....seriously...don't the drivers already have enough work as it is ? On motorsport.com it is a analysis about this

#12 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:34

I think what they did at the USGP in 2007 was pretty cool; they called all the drivers up on stage, two at a time, for live interviews in front of the fans. I remember that vividly, as I was right in front of the stage. Was a pretty cool experience, I think--maybe with the help of social media the audience could tweet questions for the drivers during the interview. Would be pretty neat if they did that more often.

:up: :rotfl:

Has very recent experience in pushing a crappy trolley around courses.

Edited by teejay, 11 May 2015 - 07:35.

#13 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:35

I heard Lewis and Kanye will do a surprise concert after Monaco.

The internet will break due to the concurrent use of the word #douche by haters globally.

#14 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 15:42

Giving the catastrophic decline in numbers following F1, perhaps each driver will adopt one of the remaining fans?

#15 chrcol

chrcol

• 3,538 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 15:48

one way to get closer.

at end of race put podium on the race track in front of stands, I noticed in spain GP, they were doing the podium whilst fans were still running there, and the trick of team crews to make it look like is fans watching.

#16 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 15:53

Unless they do something tangible like autograph sessions or allow more pit access, this will be meaningless.

Edited by Prost1997T, 11 May 2015 - 15:53.

#17 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 15:53

Bring the fences closer to the track edge by getting rid of the run-off areas.

Or have I misunderstood...

:drunk:

#18 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 16:08

:lol: ....seriously...don't the drivers already have enough work as it is ? On motorsport.com it is a analysis about this

Well, to be more constructive than my rota plan, I think it's admirable that they're considering the issue and what can be done, and that article does a good job in raising some of the key stumbling blocks, such as how to balance greater access to interesting material for fans versus control of sensitive content. The article mentions Kobayashi falling foul of FOM in uploading material online, but it's not just Bernie who seems to get uneasy at the thought of letting the drivers have free rein, it's the teams too.

The former Ferrari head of comms initially refused to allow the Ferrari drivers to have twitter accounts at all and even when they did allow it,  Luca de Montezemolo was on record as saying they restricted Alonso in what he could say about Ferrari on his personal account. This seemed to me heavy-handed and denying them a powerful means of speaking to the fans, but Lewis Hamilton's misguided attempts to explain his racing in Spa illustrates the problems of open access and the impossibility of getting information back once it has been released - loss of control of the team message.

Still, I suspect ultimately the teams and the drivers are indeed better off just going for it - request the drivers show judgement but ultimately step back and let the drivers say what they want and just deal with the occasional embarrassment that causes. I think people will ultimately respond better to a flawed message that seems authentic than to a consistent message that nonetheless seems contrived.

#19 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 16:38

Unless they do something tangible like autograph sessions or allow more pit access, this will be meaningless.

Problem with that is sheer numbers, if you go to a BTCC or BSB race in the UK, the pit lanes are utterly manic and they only get in about 20,000 fans, with ten times that number at some of the F1 events it would just be impossible.

The solution would either be to charge more for the tickets that include this access (which they currently do) or to limit it to the first 2000 ticket buyers (as the FIA WEC did at Silverstone). Problem with the former is that it limits access to the wealthy fans who are often in hospitality, problem with the latter is that hardcore fans will snap up the tickets immediately and so everyone else will miss out (or end up paying enormously on eBay, cf. the previous point).

I think the driver parades are good, a chance to actually see the drivers in the flesh - perhaps if they did one before the FP and Quali sessions as well it would be good for fans who won't necessarily attending all three days. A post race drive-by with the three top drivers would also be a good touch for people who can't get to the podium.

Advertisement

#20 anneomoly

anneomoly

• 863 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 17:32

Given that the physical interaction thing was mooted in the article as being more the remit of the promoters etc, then that leaves digital, so, live stream panel Q&As? Their own YouTube channel with behind t he scenes stuff? The teams - or some of them - already do twitter Q&As with people so I'm not sure how happy Lotus etc would be at having that removed from their remit. There's only Kimi and Vettel that don't have Twitter isn't it, so that seems to be an already-explored avenue.

#21 D28

D28

• 2,012 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 18:02

What is doable is more paddock access the night before the race, to observe mechanics working on the cars. This was routinely done in the 1970s, even later at the N American GPs I attended (Mosport Watkins Glen) Even in Montreal some paddock access was available before the paddock was moved to be adjacent to pits.

This in no way would impact on drivers, who normally wouldn't be present, It would give enthusiasts a great opportunity to see the exotic equipment and justify some of the bloated ticket price. I'm pretty sure this is not being considered, but should be.

#22 PEW

PEW

• 1,127 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 18:21

I find the timing of this a bit strange. One of the big pluses of Monaco is that you cannot avoid bumping into drivers/team principals /engineers when just strolling around. The  Pit  Lane walk on Friday is busy but organised and all teams have at least one driver hanging around cv Spa which is chaotic  with only a couple of drivers in view.

#23 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,254 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 18:34

Maybe they want to do stuff like the Q&A session Pat Symonds did on reddit.    I thought that was pretty cool. 

#24 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 18:43

Problem with that is sheer numbers, if you go to a BTCC or BSB race in the UK, the pit lanes are utterly manic and they only get in about 20,000 fans, with ten times that number at some of the F1 events it would just be impossible.

Doesn't seem to be an issue at Long Beach (the amount of on-track action is usually better as well). I'm not sure how people justify the relatively poor value of F1 seats, the fan experience is garbage. Heck, even the junior series drivers can't intermingle with the guys they want to emulate.

#25 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 18:48

Bloody stands are crowded enough already!  I don't want no stinkin' driver crowding up against me when I paid good money for my ticket.  Think I'll stop showering for 3 weeks before the GP - that should keep the lazy buggers from trying to get up too close & personal with me in the stands!

Neil

#26 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 18:48

We

Olly Weingarten & FOTA's  Fan Forums have always been very cool. Maybe they'll do something like this. Maybe they're even in contact with Olly???

Maybe they could stream them live as well...

Edited by AustinF1, 11 May 2015 - 18:55.

#27 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 1,895 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:31

The internet will break due to the concurrent use of the word #douche by haters globally.

:down: :down:   That's not funny. 

#28 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:33

When I asked him this afternoon if he is involved, Olly told me that this deal is in Wurtz's hands.

#29 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:34

If the douche factor present at the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight didn't break the interwebs, I'm not sure anything can.

Edited by AustinF1, 12 May 2015 - 01:35.

#30 loki

loki

• 12,037 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:59

If NASCAR, the teams and drivers (of all three touring series) can do it, the "worlds greatest motorsport" should be able to as well.  It's another example of how out of touch many in F1 are about how to interact with fans in this day and age.  Many are still in a "talk to " or even "talk at" mentality when the dynamic has switched to a "talk with" or interactive approach to fan engagement.  Technology makes that interaction easier and less time consuming.  

#31 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:48

I thought it was given that both are fairly successful yet fairly hated in their fields of employment.

Will run all posts past you before posting in the future.

#32 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:28

It'll inevitably be a token gesture.

How do you get close to 294,000 people (British Grand Prix 2013 attendance figure)?

You can't.

That's not a one day number, but for the whole weekend. But even if it was only a couple of thousand people they still wouldn't be able to get close. 

#33 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:32

I laughed, but think your reply is even funnier.

#34 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:35

The solution would either be to charge more for the tickets that include this access (which they currently do) or to limit it to the first 2000 ticket buyers (as the FIA WEC did at Silverstone). Problem with the former is that it limits access to the wealthy fans who are often in hospitality, problem with the latter is that hardcore fans will snap up the tickets immediately and so everyone else will miss out (or end up paying enormously on eBay, cf. the previous point).

I think the driver parades are good, a chance to actually see the drivers in the flesh - perhaps if they did one before the FP and Quali sessions as well it would be good for fans who won't necessarily attending all three days. A post race drive-by with the three top drivers would also be a good touch for people who can't get to the podium.

Drivers parade is a complete waste of time. They are so far away you can barely see them and they actually go past fairly quickly.

#35 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:45

I'd actually prefer to see the teams themselves doing more. Maybe displaying some of their historic cars for the fans to walk amongst. The best was when BMW had their pitlane experience. It was good fun watching them throw one of their cars around from just a few feet away rather than the normal viewing distance we are treated to. They also had several guest drivers like Mansell and Herbert who would do an interview and hang around after driving. 

In all my years of going to the BGP I've only ever been in the right place at the right time once when JB and LH were doing a sponsor session in front of the Vodafone stand. Other than that never seen any of the drivers off the track. 

#36 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:53

Bring back the fun in racing.

Edited by BlinkyMcSquinty, 12 May 2015 - 13:54.

#37 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 15:27

Free entry to AmberLounge with a fully paid Paddock Club ticket.

Jp

#38 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 15:32

And then a few gas cannisters in the A/C system.

It's weird how the value of something often follows the price. F1 sucks at the current efforts it takes to be able to watch it. If it was £/€/$50 for a good granstand ticket, the place would be rammed. If it was on free-to-air in every country in the world, the ratings would rocket. Etc.

#39 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 16:21

Drivers parade is a complete waste of time. They are so far away you can barely see them and they actually go past fairly quickly.

Yep. It's just filler for the promoters on race day, when there is little to nothing happening on the track aside from the GP itself.

Advertisement

#40 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 16:24

Free entry to AmberLounge with a fully paid Paddock Club ticket.

Jp

No doubt. For what a PC pass costs, you should get that and more. BTW, IIRC I heard somewhere that Amber Lounge Austin is moving to Mexico City this year.

#41 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 16:35

Kid just made a fan of me...

#42 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 17:35

Free entry to Amber Lounge with a fully paid Paddock Club ticket.

Jp

That'd do it for me...

Neil

#43 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 19:46

If NASCAR, the teams and drivers (of all three touring series) can do it, the "worlds greatest motorsport" should be able to as well.  It's another example of how out of touch many in F1 are about how to interact with fans in this day and age.  Many are still in a "talk to " or even "talk at" mentality when the dynamic has switched to a "talk with" or interactive approach to fan engagement.  Technology makes that interaction easier and less time consuming.  

Is NASCAR that good? Yes they have driver intros, but I was there for the Talladega intros last year and they are quick and businesslike, no real interaction.

People can hang around in the paddock and get autographs and so on, but only with extra expensive tickets (not on an F1 scale, but still a lot more than a regular seat).

I think the difference is that the drivers are more open to chatting in interviews and generally more relaxed in their demeanour, which makes people feel more connected to them - it also helps that there is only the one TV station covering events and all the drivers speak English as a first language so drivers are more relaxed.

#44 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:25

The GPDA aims "to create the most extensive, in-depth survey of fan opinion ever undertaken by any sport in the world"

#45 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:31

Significant that the GPDA press launch will take place outside Bernie Ecclestone's motorhome, suggesting official approval

#46 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:44

They can start with forcing FOM (?) to fix the live timing app. That will be good for the fans.

it works fine for me maybe it's your os version?

#47 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:46

The GPDA aims "to create the most extensive, in-depth survey of fan opinion ever undertaken by any sport in the world"

oh no, every delusional kid will get a voice...      

time invest into a good mountainbike

#48 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:47

Burden fans with surveys? it's up to F1 to make a great show. As Murray Walker told me 'we are here to entertain and inform' End of survey

#49 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:58

It doesn't interest me to see the drivers interviewed on a stage, writing their signature on some item, or talking about how much they like 'the turnout'; that's not why I care about these guys.

But I suppose some people will have some fun with these ideas, and that's fair enough. :up:

That's excellent. :lol:

Burden fans with surveys? it's up to F1 to make a great show. As Murray Walker told me 'we are here to entertain and inform' End of survey

It's nice to see Martin 'angers me when former F1 drivers stick a boot into F1 for publicity' Brundle being so concerned about the enormous burden placed on F1 fans by this survey. :stoned:

Edited by Nonesuch, 20 May 2015 - 13:12.

#50 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,449 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:58

Not a burden if we can change F1 for the better.