* * * * * 1 votes

Alonso : " Nothing have changed at Ferrari "

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
295 replies to this topic

#1 Massa

Massa

• 10,092 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:41

ā€œI am very happy with the move,ā€ the two-time title winner told Sky Sports News HQ. ā€œI was in the Ferrari last year half a minute, a minute behind Mercedes and on Sunday they were 43 seconds behind in Barcelona. Nothing has changed ā€“ and that is one of the reasons why l moved. I saw nothing change for five years and l didnā€™t want a sixth or seventh.ā€

i don't understand why he is always talking about Ferrari ? Each race he try to diminush Ferrari improvement. If he is sure of his choice, why this behaviour ?

And nothing have changed ? They are the second best team with a new era for them. And Barcelona was the first time this year Ferrari was more than 30 seconds behind on merit. Australia, Massa blocked Vettel during the first stint, Malaysia and China one win and a close result, Bahrein Raikkonen almost won the race. Last year Ferrari were one minute behind Mercedes, but 20 seconds behind Williams and Red Bull. And he is saying with a straight face nothing have changed ?

He is talking as if Ferrari is the same Ferrari than during Domenicali era, but it's false, it's a new era and Ferrari is closer to beat Mercedes than Mclaren, and the past 3 years Ferrari have shown much more than Mclaren.

Edited by Massa, 12 May 2015 - 12:42.

Advertisement

#2 BootLace

BootLace

• 213 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:43

Perhaps he keeps getting asked if he regrets the move?

#3 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,731 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:44

i don't understand why he is always talking about Ferrari ? Each race he try to diminush Ferrari improvement. If he is sure of his choice, why this behaviour ?

And nothing have changed ? They are the second best team with a new era for them. And Barcelona was the first time this year Ferrari was more than 30 seconds behind on merit. Australia, Massa blocked Vettel during the first stint, Malaysia and China one win and a close result, Bahrein Raikkonen almost won the race. Last year Ferrari were one minute behind Mercedes, but 20 seconds behind Williams and Red Bull. And he is saying with a straight face nothing have changed ?

He is talking as if Ferrari is the same Ferrari than during Domenicali era, but it's false, it's a new era and Ferrari is closer to beat Mercedes than Mclaren, and the past 3 years Ferrari have shown much more than Mclaren.

It's really not that hard to understand. He does an interview, he is asked a question and he gives an answer. Just a shame for you if you don't like that answer, or understand his point.

#4 BCM

BCM

• 1,965 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:45

Is he wrong though? Forget what the commentators are saying and look at the gaps. 2nd best is still that. 2nd best. 

He's taken a gamble on McLaren Honda which may or may not pay off, but I for one admire his cojones.

#5 brr

brr

• 480 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:49

Is he wrong though? Forget what the commentators are saying and look at the gaps. 2nd best is still that. 2nd best. 

Last year Ferrari wasn't even 2nd best.

#6 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 5,962 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:49

He doesn't make these statements out of choice. No matter where he goes same question is put to him repeatedly - Do you regret leaving Ferrari? Media simply cannot digest the fact that Fernando is happy with his move to Mclaren. Whether he was right to move or not can ve debated till cows come home but what is the most important thing is that Fernando is happy with the move. It is the media which just does not want to let the story die. What can Fernando do?

#7 Sebastien007

Sebastien007

• 640 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:50

He just said that because eveyone is asking the same question every day to Fernando, do you regret now that you leave Ferrari and that they are so strong.

I think he is just right, finisch third in the world driver championschip is not interesting for him, he had that already with Ferrari.

#8 BCM

BCM

• 1,965 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:51

Last year Ferrari wasn't even 2nd best.

2nd best, 3rd best..who remembers who was which in the record books? Nobody. Ferrari haven't jumped RB. RB have slumped in dramatic fashion. How many times where they lapped last year?

#9 Massa

Massa

• 10,092 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:53

It's really not that hard to understand. He does an interview, he is asked a question and he gives an answer. Just a shame for you if you don't like that answer, or understand his point.

It's hard to understand why he always have to ternish Ferrari improvement. To says it's the same than last year or 2013 etc it's a lie. Everything have changed at Ferrari.

He's taken a gamble on McLaren Honda which may or may not pay off, but I for one admire his cojones.

The gap was not 40 seconds at Melbourne, Malaysia, China or Bahrein. The fact that Ferrari won Sepang and almost won Bahrein show how much things have changed at Ferrari. When was the last time Ferrari had the second best car ? It was 2010, and Mclaren was closer than Williams are this year. The last year Ferrari have the clear the second spot or the best car was 2008, 7 years ago.

#10 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:54

I wonder if Fernando regrets his move from Minardi? Toro Rosso are looking pretty good currently.

#11 brr

brr

• 480 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:54

2nd best, 3rd best..who remembers who was which in the record books? Nobody.

Alonso doesn't seem to remember, but that's understandable given the test crash.

#12 indian

indian

• 1,192 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:55

Does anyone expect Alonso to say anything different 5 races into his 2nd McLaren career?

#13 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:56

Most bitter person on the grid?

#14 Massa

Massa

• 10,092 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:57

2nd best, 3rd best..who remembers who was which in the record books? Nobody. Ferrari haven't jumped RB. RB have slumped in dramatic fashion. How many times where they lapped last year?

During his stint at Ferrari he was saying he was just behind the red bull, and how his teammates were far away behind him etc.

#15 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:58

The weekly thread for the Anti-Alonso crowd to release their bitterness in.

#16 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:58

As long as Ferrari doesn't start to win titles, he's absolutely right and journalists should really stop asking him these kind of questions.

However, I'm pretty sure both Vettel and RƤikkƶnen will retire with more Ferrari titles than him.

#17 chrisPB15

chrisPB15

• 423 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:00

Why was Alonso always talking about his next career move?

Why was Alonso always talking about his accident?

etc etc

It's because the media ask him to talk about it! Alonso would probably much rather be laying on the sofa at home watching TV than answering the same old questions and listening to the same old stupid speculation.

Lock this pointless thread please

#18 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:00

As long as Ferrari doesn't start to win titles, he's absolutely right and journalists should really stop asking him these kind of questions.

However, I'm pretty sure both Vettel and RƤikkƶnen will retire with more Ferrari titles than him.

I doubt Kimi will win any titles in F1 anymore, but I hope I'm not right about that. :D

EDIT: Oops. I just now you meant Ferrari titles. But you are right.

Edited by The Kanisteri, 12 May 2015 - 13:01.

#19 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,731 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:01

It's hard to understand why he always have to ternish Ferrari improvement. To says it's the same than last year or 2013 etc it's a lie. Everything have changed at Ferrari.

The gap was not 40 seconds at Melbourne, Malaysia, China or Bahrein. The fact that Ferrari won Sepang and almost won Bahrein show how much things have changed at Ferrari. When was the last time Ferrari had the second best car ? It was 2010, and Mclaren was closer than Williams are this year. The last year Ferrari have the clear the second spot or the best car was 2008, 7 years ago.

It doesn't tarnish anything. He has an opinion, and it's perfectly valid. You just need to get a thicker skin and not worry about it. if he is wrong then the results will tell the story, but so far they don't look any more likely to beat Merc in the championship and that's the main point he is making.

Advertisement

#20 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:03

What else is he going to say? That he can't believe he got it so wrong, his life is a disaster and he may as well quit now - maybe he could burst into tears and storm out whilst he is at it :)

I expect he knows it will take time for McLaren to be competitive and he needs to put a positive spin on current woes to keep team morale up if nothing else - I can't imagine what the poor Honda and McLaren staff would think if their star driver was moaning how great his ex-team were and that he wishes he had never left.

For whatever reason in the 5 years he was at Ferrari he didn't achieve his aim of winning the championship - he had success but it wasn't quite enough and I guess after 5 years he didn't see a way of them (Fernando +Ferrari) improving further to be able to accomplishhis goal. He had an opportunity to go to McLaren where he has a fresh attempt at trying to build and create a team that allows him to get his championship. Now it may or may not pay off but at least he is willing to give it a go rather than keep settling for 2nd at Ferrari.

#21 aramos

aramos

• 1,498 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:03

He has a fair point. He was sceptical of their grand claims about being able to challenge Mercedes and he was correct to be sceptical. They're in the same position they have been for some time, chasing podiums but not wins.

Having said that, McLaren aren't exactly in form this year, but his chances of a title wouldn't be significantly better at Ferrari and if this is the fruit of their restructuring its quite possible McLaren could be a better long term success. 

#22 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:06

i don't understand why he is always talking about Ferrari ?

He should definitely tell the journalists to go away every time they ask him a question about Ferrari :rolleyes:

#23 BCM

BCM

• 1,965 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:10

@Massa - Melbourne - Gap to first Ferrari +34s, Bahrain gap to first Ferrari - +3s, Malaysia - they won, China - +3s (Hamilton was cruising though..he could barely contain his smirk at pushing Rosberg back into Vettel), Spain - +45.3s

Those results are no better than Redbull managed last year. All Ferrari have done is replace Redbull as the first losers. Alonso doesn't want to be first loser anymore. He wants to win. Will his gamble pay off? Who knows. He'd still be a loser at Ferrari this year though.

Edited by BCM, 12 May 2015 - 13:11.

#24 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:11

Given that Ferrari have been making a few spiteful comments about Alonso this season, I can't blame him for reacting, but really both parties should shut up and move on. It's like two ex-partners going through a divorce who keep telling everyone else how much better life is without the other.

#25 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 1,515 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:12

He has a fair point. He was sceptical of their grand claims about being able to challenge Mercedes and he was correct to be sceptical. They're in the same position they have been for some time, chasing podiums but not wins.

Having said that, McLaren aren't exactly in form this year, but his chances of a title wouldn't be significantly better at Ferrari and if this is the fruit of their restructuring its quite possible McLaren could be a better long term success. 

I do remember seeing a red-ish car win a few weeks ago.

#26 MikeMM

MikeMM

• 884 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:19

Yes he is wrong.

Last year in Barcelona  Alonso finished 1min 27 sec behind.

This year in Barcelona Vettel finished 45 sec behind.

Edited by MikeMM, 12 May 2015 - 13:20.

#27 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:20

I do remember seeing a red-ish car win a few weeks ago.

Remember, Mercedes threw that race, so it doesn't really count.

#28 Massa

Massa

• 10,092 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:20

@Massa - Melbourne - Gap to first Ferrari +34s, Bahrain gap to first Ferrari - +3s, Malaysia - they won, China - +3s (Hamilton was cruising though..he could barely contain his smirk at pushing Rosberg back into Vettel), Spain - +45.3s

Those results are no better than Redbull managed last year. All Ferrari have done is replace Redbull as the first losers. Alonso doesn't want to be first loser anymore. He wants to win. Will his gamble pay off? Who knows. He'd still be a loser at Ferrari this year though.

yes but we are not talking about Red Bull but about Ferrari changes.. When was the last time you have seen a red car fighting on pure pace for wins or podium ? It was 2010 at best, five years ago. 2013 even before the tyres change Ferrari updates didn't work. And if we compare with 2014, you can't say with a straight face that nothing have changed. I would have been agree with him if Fry, Tombazis, Domenicali have been running the team, with Allison at Lotus. But this Ferrari team is as new as his Mclaren team. New era, new philosophy of cars. 2015 is not a result of the past years, but a new start for a team who wants to beat Mercedes in the near future. So how he can say it's the same Ferrari, and especially take Barcelona result like if Malaysia, China and Bahrein didn't exist ?

Like i have said the last time he had a car over a season capable of beating the top car ( mclaren and Red Bull ) on pure pace was 2010. After that year, he never have a car capable of win on merit. Never.

Edited by Massa, 12 May 2015 - 13:23.

#29 Massa

Massa

• 10,092 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:21

No, Ferrari was better.

#30 dreamer

dreamer

• 1,922 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:21

:confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:

#31 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:23

You can't really blame Alonso for being asked about Ferrari repeatedly. He could tell the so-called journalists to look up his previous answers, but he seems relaxed enough to go through the whole story once more. That's fair enough.

He is, however, completely wrong about Ferrari's gap to Mercedes at Barcelona. Last year Alonso was not 'half a minute, a minute behind Mercedes', not even close.

Ferrari is not at Mercedes' level at the moment, it doesn't take a genius to work that out, but who else has made as much progress as the Italian team? Certainly not McLaren.

He wants to win. Will his gamble pay off? Who knows. He'd still be a loser at Ferrari this year though.

Who knows? The 2015 season started two months ago! More than a quarter of the championship has already been driven.

Edited by Nonesuch, 12 May 2015 - 13:31.

#32 P123

P123

• 23,937 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:35

Is Alonso really talking about Ferrari repeatedly?  Seems like it's more the press asking him the questions.

And is he wrong if he says things haven't changed?  They've just thrown a large number of aero upgrades at their car for no noticeable benefit.  Something that became the norm in his final years there.

#33 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:37

ā€œI am very happy with the move,ā€ the two-time title winner told Sky Sports News HQ. ā€œI was in the Ferrari last year half a minute, a minute behind Mercedes and on Sunday they were 43 seconds behind in Barcelona. Nothing has changed ā€“ and that is one of the reasons why l moved. I saw nothing change for five years and l didnā€™t want a sixth or seventh.ā€

not half a minute, a minute but  a minute and a half gap Mr ALO... 87.743 seconds last year 2014.

so this year Ferrari halfed the gap (nearly, as it was 45.342 gap for VET...)  nothing has changed. I see :smoking:

#34 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,885 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:38

Nothing has changed in the sense they are behind Mercedes again, not that hard to understand. 

#35 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:40

Nothing has changed in the sense they are behind Mercedes again, not that hard to understand. 

so he remembers the gap from last year correctly or not?

happy at McLaren my dear!

#36 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,520 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:40

I saw nothing change for five years

Well, actually for five years since 2010 Ferrari with Fernando was moving backwards. Now they actually move forwards, so thats a change.

Edited by Baddoer, 12 May 2015 - 13:41.

#37 krea

krea

• 2,166 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:41

Well, there is a better attitude around the Ferrari crew now. Unlike the it's all hopeless rhetoric in the last Alonso days.

He should definitely tell the journalists to go away every time they ask him a question about Ferrari :rolleyes:

That wouldn't be wrong though.

#38 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,885 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:47

so he remembers the gap from last year correctly or not?

happy at McLaren my dear!

Gap is the same,  behind Merc .

Edited by kosmos, 12 May 2015 - 13:48.

#39 krea

krea

• 2,166 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:49

You and Alonso aren't watching the same F1 season.

Advertisement

#40 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 1,384 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:51

Fernando wasn't at Ferrari to finish 40 secs behind Merc. He was there to win a championship, so yes, nothings changed from that perspective. I am already bored of all the Fernando, Ferrari stories. I can only imagine how fed up Fernando must be answering the same questions every week. The media can fish all they want but the answer will remain the same. He is too PC to undermine Mclaren.

#41 PMM3

PMM3

• 251 posts

Right..First of the loosers aint good enough, So he goes off and becomes one of the last of the loosers. 

It is simply better to say that either he made a poor decision or had no choice if a decision was made for him. 

#42 krumpli12

krumpli12

• 1,066 posts

Yes he is wrong.

Last year in Barcelona  Alonso finished 1min 27 sec behind.

This year in Barcelona Vettel finished 45 sec behind.

He doesn't only speak about last year but the 5 years before when he was nr 2 three times. Been there done that what Vettel is experiencing now.

#43 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,885 posts

You and Alonso aren't watching the same F1 season.

Is Ferrari behind Mercedes or not?.

#44 yr

yr

• 6,007 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:52

You canĀ“t blame Alonso for talking about Ferrari, as he is obviously asked about it, but what you can blame him is giving sour grapes for an answer. He could easily say the truth from his point of view, which should be something like:" Ferrari has made some good progress and are clearly second best team now and closer to Mercedes than I would have imagined, but they are not winning at the moment - Mercedes is. As for Mclaren-Honda, our work has just begun and I believe it was right decission to join this team, as in few years time I believe we are the ones who fight for titles."

#45 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:52

That Mercedes won and Ferrari did not is obvious to everyone, but that's not what a gap means.

Alonso picked a specific example to make a point, but the example he chose did not match the picture he painted.

That's fine, I'm sure most of us here had to look up the 2014 results as well.

Unfortunately it's a bit more difficult to compare the gaps between Mercedes and McLaren, seeing how the latter can't finish in the same lap as the winners.

Edited by Nonesuch, 12 May 2015 - 13:54.

#46 krumpli12

krumpli12

• 1,066 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:53

Right..First of the loosers aint good enough, So he goes off and becomes one of the last of the loosers. 

It is simply better to say that either he made a poor decision or had no choice if a decision was made for him. 

We do not know if he made a poor decision or not. The failure or success of McL-Honda won't be decided after 5 races. Ask the same question (was it a good decision to leave Ferrari or not?) in 4 years time.

#47 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:59

Funny how this year people argue nothing has changed since ferrari isnt the outright fastest car, while in previous years people argued that Ferrari doesnt even need the fastest car but just a good enough to be close and than Fernando will do his thing.

#48 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 14:04

Well, lets recap, the whole season last year Ferrari managed 2 podiums the best being 2nd place.This year 5 races in,podium every race - best being 1st. So nothing has really changed eh! :eek:

#49 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,885 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 14:05

That Mercedes won and Ferrari did not is obvious to everyone, but that's not what a gap means.

Alonso picked a specific example to make a point, but the example he chose did not match the picture he painted.

That's fine, I'm sure most of us here had to look up the 2014 results as well.

Unfortunately it's a bit more difficult to compare the gaps between Mercedes and McLaren, seeing how the latter can't finish in the same lap as the winners.

The gaps he said could be wrong but the underlaying them is always the same with his declarations since he left Ferrari, he don't want to be second again, he don't want to be in the same position as the previous years again. And yes, McLaren is crap right now, that is fact, the same way Ferrari has a better car than before, this can't be denied.

#50 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 14:07

I think journalist shouls show some respect and stop asking Fernando about Ferrari....