Photo

Chuck Hulse (split from Pat Flaherty race ban)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Leeh4cb

Leeh4cb

• 5 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 18:05

Hello All

I am brand new just signed up last night and am fascinated by it all.  I am a huge USAC fan from the "golden Years" 1946-1964. My dad is Chuck Hulse who was a Hot Rod and sprint car driver from the 50' and 60's. he had a similar situation in 1956. He was racing with CRA when family and job allowed. My dad always put family and job before racing. In 1956 his buddy Hank Blum who had a GMC powered spring/champ car wanted to try running it at Pikes Peak. My dad was willing and my mom needed a vacation from us kids so he got his USAC license and off they went. He got about 1,000 feet up the hill before falling 200 feet over the edge. He landed in a ravine upside down trapped with the engine running. It sounds bad but he laughs about it to this day. 

The next week back in So Cal he raced at Carrell or Gardena stadium (can't remember which) and was immediately informed by USAC that he was being fined and suspended for running in a  CRA event with a USAC license. He wasn't trying to bend any rules, he just wanted to race. He called Henry Banks and explained what he had done. Anybody that knows my dad knows how likeable and friendly he is/was. He always had a smile on his face (still does). He managed to talk Henry Banks out of both the fine and the suspension, and was allowed to race in a CRA race as long as no similar USAC race was being held the same day. This got him in more trouble. Luige Lesovsky who apparently was the man my dad should have spoken to first (being the local rep) called him and chewed him out for going "over his head" and told him he was going to discuss the matter further with the board. Luige didn't know my dad from "Adam" at the time and was just flexing a little muscle. It all worked out. No fine or suspension.

Thought I would share that, thanks

P.S. I am looking forward to many posts and reply's so long as there is a discussion about the Golden Years of American auto racing

Lee Hulse 

Advertisement

#2 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,124 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 16:55

Yes, a most heartfelt welcome to Lee, whose father was a GREAT racer, though most forum members will probably prefer Chris Amon's version of events at Fuji in '66 - be warned, this forum can be tricky territory!

That's a great point and in some regards motorsports wound up slightly ahead of the other pro sports in the states thanks to Paul Goldsmith's lawsuit over the Riverside incident. But, if "taxicabs" can make Michael's eyes glaze over, you should see what happens when ball sports come up :D

Ball sports? They play sports involving little round thingys??

Or, do you mean to say testicular sports, as opposed to, you know, chess or gymnastics. That's motor racing again, isn't it?

Ahh, now I see: it's shot put!

#3 Leeh4cb

Leeh4cb

• 5 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 23:50

Thank you Brian and Michael for the welcome and warning

Michael you mentioned that most members of the forum would prefer Chris Amon's version of events at the Mt Fuji race in 1966. I'm not exactly sure what he had a version "of" or what that version "was". I can tell you and the members this:

The Mt Fuji race was an non point exhibition race at the end of the 1966 season. My dad, who had missed the previous two years due to an accident and was quite frankly nearing the end of his career, had just finished the season driving for Bob Wilkie and A.J. Watson. I remember USAC lobbying car owners to commit to this event. Bob Wilkie was not interested in the least. My mother, Betty Jean (B.J.) and Joyce Watson were good friends at this point and both wanted a vacation. A.J. and my dad Called their good freind Hank Blum who owned a lightweight front engine roadster that he had built in 1964 for my dad and Clint Brawner. The car saw limited action due to my dad's injuries from a serious crash in a sprint car, and the subsequent change to rear engine cars. Well, they all agreed that Hank would enter the car as owner, A J. Watson would be listed as chief mechanic and my dad as driver, and a couple of wives would be very happy. 
    USAC accepted the application as well as the applications from 2 other owners of front engine cars. These "dinosaurs" with one speed transmissions, designed to turn left only had no business being on a road course with cars designed for road courses with 4 and 5 speed transmissions. It was a joke and everyone knew it. But what the heck it WAS an exhibition race and the drivers were all informed, and quite frankly, warned that these 3 roadsters were not going to get "off " the corners very well, probably take up a lot of track in certain places and be sluggish on starts and restarts to say the least. 
    I had breakfast with my dad this morning, as I do 3 or 4 time a week, and we talked about that race. He had no recollection of causing an accident (if thats what Amon's comments were about) although he remembers someone getting into the back of him a few times when he was trying to get out of the way. He also fondly remembers the japanese fans swarming around him and his car after the race. They wanted to see "Indy cars", and to them thats what and Indy Car was.
     Sorry if I seem to be ranting but I wanted to clear that up. I hope this was the correct way to do that.Thanks again guys,
Lee Hulse 

#4 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,003 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:24

Chuck Hulse finished 11th, maybe Amon was peeod that Chuck finished in front of him.

Lee your dad raced in an era when a person was known for his driving, not that he was some one's son.

Back when men were men and women loved it.

#5 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:20

Here's Chris Amon's version of the incident, as told to Nigel Roebuck:

I was lapping a guy called Chuck Hulse, who was in one of the old Indy roadsters - most of which didn't have mirrors! Not that mirrors would have made a difference to this guy, actually, since it turned out that he was blind in the right eye, and also deaf in the right ear! Yes, you've got it, I went to overtake him on the right ...

For reasons I never quite understood, he suddenly elected to turn sharp right, and that was the end of my race.

Lee, this version is the only one most of us here have ever heard. It would be fascinating to learn how your Dad saw it - presumably he was just trying to get out of the way?

#6 Leeh4cb

Leeh4cb

• 5 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:09

Here's Chris Amon's version of the incident, as told to Nigel Roebuck:

Lee, this version is the only one most of us here have ever heard. It would be fascinating to learn how your Dad saw it - presumably he was just trying to get out of the way?

Thanks for the opportunity for my dad to respond. I showed my dad Amon's quote this morning and he just chuckled and shook his head. He told me he really doesn't remember the guy crashing. He does remember getting "tapped" several time during the race. There was one right hand corner in particular where he was having a lot of trouble not just getting off of but getting into as well. He reminded me, although it was unnecessary, that those roadsters with their engines offset to the left and their steering set up's just weren't designed for a road course. Also with ONE FORWARD GEAR negotiating a tight right hand corner on a race track was not a lot of fun. He considered parking it a couple of times during the race but considering this was an exhibition race for the fans, it would have been wrong. Also with the attention the roadsters were getting from the japanese fans and media there was no way he would pull it in. 

Like my dad said he was tapped several times during the race, then he added "I doubt seriously that the guy that I supposedly "CRASHED" had gotten into me more than once". He then said half jokingly "If a driver that had been informed (warned) about these cars, then had issues following me on the track and then again elected to get that close behind me in that right hander, well, he had less business being out there than I did". 

As far as the "deaf and blind" comment my dad wanted me to avoid that altogether. "No need to alientate yourself or cause trouble over something that was said so long ago and so trivial". Now, for those of you who may know my dad or you fans of american open wheel racing from the 50's and 60's probably know how different my dad was than the typical driver of those days. He raced against guys like Jud Larson, Jimmy Bryan and a lot of others who were hard livin' hard drinkin' fun loving characters. My dad never touched a drop of alcohol in his life, never smoked and was a dedicated family man. I'm 63 and to this day I can count the number of times I heard him cuss on one hand. He was, however addicted to Pepsi and earned the nickname "pepsi kid" when he first came to USAC. He would never take "pot shots" at someone who is or was so obviously lacking in self discipline and common sense. I, on the other hand, am not that affable and can't resist commenting on such an idiotic statement.   

My dad had a nasty tumble in a Hot Rod at Carrell Speedway in 1953 which crushed the right side of his head and did do "some" damage to his hearing. He lost approx 40% of his hearing on the right side 1953. It was never an issue in a race car he assured me. More imporatantly he assured USAC and their medical staff annually during the required physicals. 

The "blind" comment, which didn't sound "tongue in cheek" just shows a lack of good judgement and taste. My dads accident at New Bremen Ohio in 1964 did cause some blurred vision and it took nearly 2 years for him to fully recover. He not only passed the required physicals and eye tests, but raced in the 66 and 67 Indy 500's and 17 USAC Champ car races after that with no problems. I can't imagine a racing organization allowing a driver to race blind in one eye. The lack of depth perception would likely lead to a driver running into slower cars in front of them causing them to crash.

Thank you once again for the opportunity for my dad and I to respond and once again I applogize for the ranting and promise to post and reply in a more civil manner in the future
Sincerely
Lee Hulse with quotes from Chuck Hulse on the morning of 05/14/2015 over couple of bowls of oatmeal

#7 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:26

Very many thanks, Lee, for making your Dad's side of the story available for us.

#8 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,766 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:32

There is a gallery of photos of the Fuji 200 meeting at http://www.historicr...4&subGallery=18
(but unfortunately none of Chuck Hulse)

Edited by Catalina Park, 15 May 2015 - 11:46.

#9 lotuspoweredbyford

lotuspoweredbyford

• 187 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 23:27

Chuck Hulse is one of my favorite people because he always has time to respond to fan mail and takes the time for personal replies with a letter along with the photo.

A classy guy.

Would it be ok if I post a couple of photos of Chuck here?

#10 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:01

It would be good to see your shots, thanks in advance.

Seconded :up:

#11 lotuspoweredbyford

lotuspoweredbyford

• 187 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:19

Sorry to be so late, got behind due to my hosting duties for the 500.hulsenap-001_zpsm0n833ar.jpg

Edited by lotuspoweredbyford, 29 May 2015 - 04:25.

#12 lotuspoweredbyford

lotuspoweredbyford

• 187 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:25

Image20.tif_zps4zitfnsb.jpg

Courtesy of my friends at First Turn Productions

#13 lotuspoweredbyford

lotuspoweredbyford

• 187 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:27

Image787.tif_zpsofbrjvb7.jpg

Courtesy: First Turn Productions

#14 lotuspoweredbyford

lotuspoweredbyford

• 187 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:28

Image1470.tif_zpsoeflb1lh.jpg

Courtesy: First Turn Productions

#15 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,766 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:04

Great photos!

#16 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,199 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 19:05

Great photos Mike, thanks for posting them :up:

#17 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 20:25

Hear hear.

#18 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 1,020 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 18:01

<Bumped>

Godspeed to your dad Lee, 

He seemed to enjoy life ,and despite injuries  never seemed to let them get him down . 

paul

#19 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 18:43

I’ve just found that Chuck’s son Lee, who posted above as Leeh4cb, died last year:

https://www.legacy.c...&view=guestbook

Sincere condolences on both these losses to the Hulse family and all who knew them.

Advertisement

#20 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 1,020 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 19:08

Wow ,  

Thanks Tim for the update about Chuck's son.  

Seconding your condolences  

#21 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,206 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 19:38

Thanks Tim, I was due to send an email to Lee accordingly tonight.

Deepest condolences to Chuck and Lee's family and friends.