Early 1960's Australian sports car "division racing"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,362 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:26

A quote of Paul Hamilton from the Cannan Morris thread:

The divisional racing in those days involved a lot more than driving skill and mechanical expertise as it was quite an art to avoid promotion into a division in which your car became uncompetitive. Jack Evans was a master of that art and was something of a father figure to the younger TC drivers guiding us to maintain very strong division 2 performances while avoiding too much involvement with the Lotii and Elfins in division 1.

How exactly did the Divisional racing work. I presume that there was Division 1 and Division 2 races, with drivers picking up points in each race. Did the top-scoring Division 2 drivers after a certain number of races get promoted to Division 1, and were there Division 1 drivers who were relegated to Division 2? If the Division 1 and Division 2 cars raced together, was there a form of handicapping used?

Advertisement

#2 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 21:15

My belief was that the system was based on the Lap time of the driver in his car, thus if the car was capable of breaking into the cut of lap time then it was up graded to Div 1, that is what happened to Spike Jones in his SM Special at Oran Park.

#3 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 440 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 23:53

My belief was that the system was based on the Lap time of the driver in his car, thus if the car was capable of breaking into the cut of lap time then it was up graded to Div 1, that is what happened to Spike Jones in his SM Special at Oran Park.

Yes, Dan, the 'system' was based on past lap times and race performances but the cut off point varied dependent on entrant quality.  In my day the Oran Park cut off was pretty consistent at a lap time of around 57/58 sec but it did vary from time to time and at other circuits the Div 1 / Div 2 mix could be quite different.  Warwick Farm, for example, did not often divide fields on a divisional basis as it was the home of the marque sports category which was a different basis for division of the sports car entry but, when they did run Div 1 and Div 2, their higher quality entry meant that the front runners in Div 2 may have been Div 1 at Oran Park.  As I recall some clubs did give an indication of the likely cut off point in their event regulations but that was certainly not universal practice.  At some of the country circuits such as Orange (Towac) or Hume Weir some Oran Park Div 2 regulars would unavoidably find themselves in Div 1 and the prospect of that could sometimes influence a decision as to whether or not to enter a particular meeting.

The 'art' referred to in my comment in post 1 was simply doing what was required to stay at the sharp end of Div 2 while avoiding promotion.  That in no way inhibited the quality of Div 2 racing which was as cut and thrust as anything else but it certainly encouraged the man in front to avoid pulling out too much of a margin!!

As I have mentioned, Jack Evans was one of the Div 2 kings and I well recall his displeasure at one of the very early Amaroo meetings when he and I were both placed in Div 1.  In place of his usual TC Jack had entered his road going Lotus Elan possibly in an endeavour to avoid placement in Div 1 at what was a pretty low key event. In the main Div 1 sports car race, we became involved in quite a battle over last position but, shortly after I had managed to find a way past him, Jack retired.  When asked why after the race, he quite openly told me that he had decided that he would not be able to get past me again, he had never finished a race last and was not planning to start that precedent!! 

#4 2Bob

2Bob

• 581 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:52

I discussed this with Jim Doig earlier today.  Remembers the division races at Mallala in the late 1960s.  When he raced the ex Dud Dansie BBM (Mark1) he reckons that the cutoff for division 3 was that anyone who beat him went into Division 2!  His lap times were in the 1:32 range.

He also pointed out that PI now runs like this for the historics.  Slow Group Q cars are put in with the Group M and O cars (as "invited").  This seems to work OK.  March historic meeting I ran 1:54s in my clubbie and was in with the slow group Qs, Jim ran in the 1:48s (in his oversize 'clubbie') and was in with the fast group Q and R race.  (The slow Qs were midfield in the M and O races).  There wasn't too much difference with the fast M and Os doing 1:38s and the fast Q and Rs doing 1:30s.

Edited by 2Bob, 18 May 2015 - 04:53.

#5 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 440 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:45

I discussed this with Jim Doig earlier today.  Remembers the division races at Mallala in the late 1960s.  When he raced the ex Dud Dansie BBM (Mark1) he reckons that the cutoff for division 3 was that anyone who beat him went into Division 2!  His lap times were in the 1:32 range.

He also pointed out that PI now runs like this for the historics.  Slow Group Q cars are put in with the Group M and O cars (as "invited").  This seems to work OK.  March historic meeting I ran 1:54s in my clubbie and was in with the slow group Qs, Jim ran in the 1:48s (in his oversize 'clubbie') and was in with the fast group Q and R race.  (The slow Qs were midfield in the M and O races).  There wasn't too much difference with the fast M and Os doing 1:38s and the fast Q and Rs doing 1:30s.

The CAMS 5th Category regulations (sect. 2.1.1 (iii)) make specific provision for divisional racing in current Australian historic events.  The CAMS Historic Commission introduced that some years back in recognition of the widening performance gaps in some of our fields and based on positive memories of how well it worked back in the historic period. 

#6 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:00

For the most part there is not enough cars these days to be 'divisional'

I do remember [vaguely] two divisions of Sports Sedans and open wheels or at least Formula Libre.

This used to happen in Speedway too, more cars at far less cost. and division 1 [stars] and the rest div 2. Sometimes called just that.