Photo

Alex Clacher

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 860 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:40

Sadly Alex died earlier this month after a short illness. He was a regular racer of Minis and Imps at the northern circuits in the 60s and 70s and in more recent years restored a Rover 2000TC and used it for touring events. We used to have some good chats about his racing and he was fit until just about a month ago.

Advertisement

#2 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:56

I remember reading about him in Autosport reports , IIRC a schoolteacher , I think he  ran a modified nose on the Imp lowering the bodywork between the headlamps

#3 john aston

john aston

• 2,699 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:32

I think Alec was a plumber/central heating guy actually. Anyway..he dove his Imps at a furious pace and his battles with Minis etc (Sedric Bell?) were highlights of my early trips to Croft and I am sure I would have seen him at Rufforth too. 

#4 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:37

I remember him as a very quick Imp man, usually battling with Sedric Bell as John says, and Andy Barton too. He didn't venture down south too often though as I recall 

#5 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 895 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 18:35

He used to live at Croft IIRC......In my early days of going to Croft, & before I could drive, used to go by bus from Darlington, often saw him & his Imp in the garage at his house, on the left between Croft Village and the circuit. 

RIP Alex

#6 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:09

Very sad news indeed. I remember Alex and his Imp very well indeed. Extremely fast car and driver combination that could - and frequently did - give much more powerful cars a right good chasing. Any driver who saw that Imp  in his mirror must have known he was going to have his work cut out to keep his place.  It was people like Alex,  and his rival Sedric Bell, that made saloon car racing up North such a joy to watch in that much maligned decade, the 70s. RIP Alex - and big thanks.

#7 JtP2

JtP2

• 452 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 16:28

The BBC show at Croft, Barton, Bell and Clacher. The best one was the one with McNally, who came up to show the northern peasants how to do it. On the first lap Alec was leading off the main straight and on the left hander off the straight, Sedric was trying to pass him on the inside with Andy trying to fit himself through Sedric's left hand door . Paddy dropped back about 100yds and never went closer for the rest of the race. Alec broke down ( unusual) and Sedric visited the pits with Andy's assistance. Unfortunately for Sedric it was in top gear and he had to stop and talk to the clerk of the course about it.

Only Andy left now.

#8 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 16:55

Obituary here:

http://www.darlingto...x__AJ__Clacher/

#9 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 19:35

He was quick - I remember that.  The newspaper obituary referenced by Tim was written by Tony Todd, who covered the Croft and "Northern" clubbie events for Motoring News for many years and must have some great memories.  He certainly took some excellent photographs as well.

No disrepect to Alex, but was Phil Clacher related?  I suspect not, but was just curious.

#10 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:26

The BBC show at Croft, Barton, Bell and Clacher. The best one was the one with McNally, who came up to show the northern peasants how to do it. On the first lap Alec was leading off the main straight and on the left hander off the straight, Sedric was trying to pass him on the inside with Andy trying to fit himself through Sedric's left hand door . Paddy dropped back about 100yds and never went closer for the rest of the race. Alec broke down ( unusual) and Sedric visited the pits with Andy's assistance. Unfortunately for Sedric it was in top gear and he had to stop and talk to the clerk of the course about it.
Only Andy left now.

Credit where credit is due - Alex actually won this race after Terry (not Paddy) McNally's gear lever broke, Bell was quite rightly disqualified for his high speed trip through the pits and Barton crashed on the last lap.

#11 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:41

No disrepect to Alex, but was Phil Clacher related?  I suspect not, but was just curious.

Phil Clacher was sponsored by P&B Clacher, Timber Merchants, Perth in FF2000 if that's any help.

#12 JtP2

JtP2

• 452 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:21

Tim, did you watch the race? I always remember it as Andy winning with Alec disappearing from the melee early in the race. Possibly my failing memory?

#13 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:48

I'd love to have been there, Jimmy - it sounds to have been a great race. Sadly, I have only got Chris Mason's report in Autosport to go on.