F1's Global Fan Survey 2015

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 15:59

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/119058

Do it, do it, do it! Let them know what you think. If you are in favor of refueling, don't open it, it's a virus.

Advertisement

#2 pRy

pRy

• 26,169 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 16:07

As always with these surveys I got bored of answering the questions 25% in and stopped.

It will change nothing.

#3 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 16:14

As always with these surveys I got bored of answering the questions 25% in and stopped.

It will change nothing.

That's the attitude!

#4 Mart280

Mart280

• 400 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 16:16

Completed and I also filled the anything extra to add box in :)

#5 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,701 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 16:17

It will change nothing.

It'll certainly change nothing if you can't be bothered to have your say.

#6 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 16:26

Got to the page where you can add 250 words of comment, commented & pressed next, got an "Oh Bother" page, so i won't be bothering again.

#7 Jerem

Jerem

• 2,164 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 16:36

I did it and filled the box too.

Is it only available in English? I think that will bias the results on quite a lot of questions.

Like, "60% of the fans who bothered to fill the survey are from UK"  :yawnface:

#8 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 16:41

Completed and I also filled the anything extra to add box in :)

Yep, I really used up all the words...

#9 KTownDevil

KTownDevil

• 483 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 16:42

I did it and filled the box too.

Is it only available in English? I think that will bias the results on quite a lot of questions.

Like, "60% of the fans who bothered to fill the survey are from UK"  :yawnface:

Nope, there's at least a German version too.

#10 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,597 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 16:48

Done, from Canada

#11 pRy

pRy

• 26,169 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 17:24

It'll certainly change nothing if you can't be bothered to have your say.

It's just my personal view. We've had surveys before where the fans were promised a voice. I don't recall the FOTA surveys ever really changing anything. Will this be different? I've my doubts that's all. The sport is dominated by team commercial interests and the mechanism to make regulation changes that would benefit the sport is complicated and often torpedoed by the big teams looking out for themselves rather than the sport. F1 knows what it has to do.. it has to make racing exciting and fun to watch both on TV and at the circuits and it has to make it profitable for even the smaller teams to consider taking part. They don't need the fans to fill out page after page of survey questions to work that out.

#12 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 17:29

I'm also very cynical of this: what is this (and the GPDA survey) really going to achieve? They tell us how important the fans' opinion is, but will probably ignore everything people say.

See also: double points for final race last year. A thing nobody asked for.

#13 Zava

Zava

• 7,115 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 17:53

I'm also very cynical of this: what is this (and the GPDA survey) really going to achieve? They tell us how important the fans' opinion is, but will probably ignore everything people say.

we can only find out if we all do our part, i.e. fill the form.

you can't lose anything by filling it (apart from 3 minutes of one's precious time, otherwise spent by watching some awesome cat video compilation), so go ahead.  ;)

#14 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 18:09

Looks like the response to both surveys has been good, as they're both crashed as of right now...

#15 ANF

ANF

• 29,055 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 18:14

Looks like the response to both surveys has been good, as they're both crashed as of right now...

It's the same survey, isn't it?

#16 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 18:16

I don't think so. I was told they were competing surveys, but I could be wrong...

#17 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 18:40

I'm happy to fill it in, just so we can continue to say "we didn't ask for this".  ;)

Edited by Risil, 21 May 2015 - 18:40.

#18 ANF

ANF

• 29,055 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 19:12

I don't think so. I was told they were competing surveys, but I could be wrong...

Oh, looks like you're right. At least now I can get to the GPDA Servey start page and it looks different to the other one. Very confusing.

#19 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 19:57

It's great and all that they're doing it.. but did these surveys of F1racing/autosport and the GPDA really have to be start on the same freaking day? 

Advertisement

#20 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 19:58

Oh, looks like you're right. At least now I can get to the GPDA Servey start page and it looks different to the other one. Very confusing.

Where is this other survey? I'll fill out as many as needed.

They did a survey before 2009 and it supposedly did have an impact in the regulation changes for that year. How big, it's difficult to know. They then managed to mess up the implementation of the spirit of the rules, but at least the fans' opinions were taken into consideration to some degree. Meh, if I can get a chance to tell them that double points is a nono and refueling too, I'm ok. Every question should include a qualitative part, too though to really let them know how I feel about these...

#21 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 20:07

Motorsport.com hosts the actual GPDA survey: http://gpda.motorsport.com/

Autosports survey seems like a ploy to sell magazines. After filling it in you get told to buy the magazines to get the results. And that Autosport journalist verbally spammed it during the drivers press conference, which Jenson seemed to find amusing. Slipping in an advert there, naughty.

Edited by RedBaron, 21 May 2015 - 20:13.

#22 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 20:08

lol@free market research.

Jp

#23 blackhand2010

blackhand2010

• 654 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 20:09

Filled in.

Was I the only one who was riled by the quotes added to pics of the drivers on each page...?

It felt like we were being treated like 5 year olds...

#24 ANF

ANF

• 29,055 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 20:49

Where is this other survey? I'll fill out as many as needed.

Survey #1: http://surveys.hayma...GFC-survey-2015 Global Fan Survey 2015 in association with F1 Racing, Autosport and Motorsport News
Survey #2: http://gpda.motorsport.com GPDA Global Fan Survey 2015

#25 pRy

pRy

• 26,169 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 20:59

If the drivers do want as many fans to fill it in as possible it makes sense they'd approach the F1 media outlets. The teams aren't going to promote it via their social network links so that leaves the F1 media with theirs and the drivers. 

#26 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 2,206 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 22:10

It's still not loading for me.

#27 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 23:20

Survey #1: http://surveys.hayma...GFC-survey-2015 Global Fan Survey 2015 in association with F1 Racing, Autosport and Motorsport News
Survey #2: http://gpda.motorsport.com GPDA Global Fan Survey 2015

The latter is much more complete. It won't let me finish though as when I click "Submit" it doesn't move forward. I hope they share the results.

Edited by RealRacing, 21 May 2015 - 23:22.

#28 Rentta

Rentta

• 393 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 23:46

Filled official survey... submit doesn't work... 

#29 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,254 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 23:54

Yes, the last page of GPDA survey is stuck- won't submit.  You would think they would test the darn thing before fielding..  :mad:

(applicable privacy policy to the survey http://www.motorspor.../privacy-policy )

Edited by wrcva, 22 May 2015 - 01:56.

#30 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 23:56

^^^It's working fine now. Good survey, imho.

#31 Rentta

Rentta

• 393 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 00:01

^^^It's working fine now. Good survey, imho.

Their terms and conditions were quite let's say slimey 

#32 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 00:01

Same for me.

Now I'm on the last page and cant submit it.

And since the last page is not working properly for me I cant confirm it but... are they really DEMANDING that you supply a real name and email on the very last page, with terms and conditions that let them do whatever they want and share that information how they feel they want?

Seems like a scumbag thing to do on the very last page, without warning.

Edit - screw em. I gave up trying to get it to work.

Edited by alfa1, 22 May 2015 - 00:08.

#33 Tapz63

Tapz63

• 645 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 00:50

Their terms and conditions were quite let's say slimey

Did you really read them? And how bad could they be? And although it did seem a bit sneaky asking for name and email right at the end to complete it, it is something you would expect on any survey really.

#34 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 00:57

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/119058

Do it, do it, do it! Let them know what you think. If you are in favor of refueling, don't open it, it's a virus.

I had to, i voted yes.  :up:

edit: by the way, i wonder if most of the lot across the world will vote in this though. It would be unlikely, but i'd be very interested to read if they will disclose what percentage of votes are from which country. Top 5-10 countries and percentages will make for an interesting read.

Edited by garagetinkerer, 22 May 2015 - 00:59.

#35 ANF

ANF

• 29,055 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:18

Some of the questions in the GPDA survey really scared the **** out of me. As did that final message: "We want this survey to be opening chapter in an on-going conversation with you; we want you to join us, along with thousands of fans from around the world to create the GPDA Global Fan Community."

#36 Rentta

Rentta

• 393 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:26

Did you really read them? And how bad could they be? And although it did seem a bit sneaky asking for name and email right at the end to complete it, it is something you would expect on any survey really.

Of course i did. Like i always do in any survey where they ask your real name. Alfa1 put it quite well

edit and also that they asked/showed them after you spent 30+ mins filling it is not good practice. Normally you ask them before

Edited by Rentta, 22 May 2015 - 01:28.

#37 ANF

ANF

• 29,055 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:32

I noticed that the terms and conditions are the same for the Motorsport.com community. Perhaps you'll get an account when you submit the survey? I'll never know since I entered a fake address. The submit page pissed me off to say the least.

Edited by ANF, 22 May 2015 - 01:33.

#38 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:20

"The driver I support can tell a lot about me."

Erm...

Edit: ok, probably Bing translator at work :lol: :

123_zps5xkde2lu.jpg

Edited by Jovanotti, 22 May 2015 - 08:31.

#39 P123

P123

• 23,842 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:33

It's all a load of cack.  We will watch regardless.  The brains of the sport will come up with ridiculous rules regardless.  They should be reaching out to the non-hardcore fans, not the very vocal and very small minority who will rush to participate in these surveys.

Advertisement

#40 loki

loki

• 12,038 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:45

I suppose it's nice there are two surveys but both are from entities that have nothing to do with the management or direction of F1.  Until those that pay for the circus (advertisers and TV) demand change it's doubtful much will happen.

#41 KTownDevil

KTownDevil

• 483 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:54

Same here  ):

#42 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:58

And since the last page is not working properly for me I cant confirm it but... are they really DEMANDING that you supply a real name and email on the very last page, with terms and conditions that let them do whatever they want and share that information how they feel they want?

Seems like a scumbag thing to do on the very last page, without warning.

Nobody is going to check it. It's just to get you on their 'third party partners' mailing lists. Who knew 'Bernard Ecclerock' had such innovative views on F1?  ;)

In any case, I can't submit this survey in Firefox (nice work! :up: ) but some of the questions were rather ominous. The ones about qualifying especially; head to head qualifying between teammates!?

Also, one wonders what kind of faux-hip PR person wrote this. Can we not start sentences with 'Thinking about...' please, or ever bring up 'ongoing conversations'? Next thing you know we're all part of 'the F1 community'.

#43 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,708 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:16

It's all a load of cack.  We will watch regardless.  The brains of the sport will come up with ridiculous rules regardless.  They should be reaching out to the non-hardcore fans, not the very vocal and very small minority who will rush to participate in these surveys.

They should but I hope they don't.

#44 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:12

That question about ideal car looks is a little annoying. I'm not particularly happy with the current cars, but I didn't like Newey's or Ferrari's concepts, and I certainly don't want F1 to look like LMP1s or the deltawing.

I suppose it's nice there are two surveys but both are from entities that have nothing to do with the management or direction of F1. Until those that pay for the circus (advertisers and TV) demand change it's doubtful much will happen.

The word is the GPDA survey has Bernie's blessing. One presumes the drivers wouldn't have done something if they weren't going to be listened to, and they are at least inside the paddock, unlike the Autosport survey.

#45 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 2,775 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:19

That question about ideal car looks is a little annoying. I'm not particularly happy with the current cars, but I didn't like Newey's or Ferrari's concepts, and I certainly don't want F1 to look like LMP1s or the deltawing.

Yeah, the only option I was satisfied with was the 2000's.

The word is the GPDA survey has Bernie's blessing. One presumes the drivers wouldn't have done something if they weren't going to be listened to, and they are at least inside the paddock, unlike the Autosport survey.

That's probably why the GPDA survey doesn't have the "would you like Bernie Ecclestone removed" question.

#46 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:30

Yeah, that one was poorly done imho. I don;t like the look of these cars, but I didn't like the choices they gave either. I chose the Ferrari as the least of all the evils they offered. The choices they gave didn't really make much sense.

#47 ANF

ANF

• 29,055 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:39

There were quite a few annoying questions. Like the one whether F1 currently has the right balance between entertainment and competition. You can agree or disagree, but you can't say what you want to see more or less of. (Maybe you want a rock concert when the cars have lined up on the grid, points for Friday practice, lifestyle celebrities in the pitlane, and a qualifying shootout between teammates before the race is decided by success ballast and a well calculated fuel strategy...)

I think the survey on Haymarket.com had more relevant questions. Problem with that survey was that it lacked a scale between Yes and No, and more questions should have allowed multiple answers.

Edited by ANF, 22 May 2015 - 11:48.

#48 JtP2

JtP2

• 452 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:40

What F1 needs is elephants. If you wanted a successful Roman games that pleased the crowds you had to have Elephants. We could also have drivers and teams dressed as gladiators fighting on the track alongside the pits. what about naked women or men depending on your desires hanging on the back of the cars.

Now if you think that stupid, just consider some of the things that have been introduced and dropped in F1 in the last 20 years. The FIA are now complaining about the sound of the cars from engines they demanded. In fact they have regularly complained about rules they have introduced as the audience fell asleep.

So what will be the next strange idea to try and rejuvenate a dyeing racing series?  

Maybe the poll should be on the most inane and counter productive F1 rule.

#49 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:10

The GPDA survey is too much, I have been doing it in stages for most of the day as time allows, no more.

#50 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:23

Just done the GPDA one.

It is really in depth. Took me quite a while to do it. In the sponsorship questions I put the top 5 that I could spell. :lol:

I went with the Ferrari pic as well. It was the best of a bad bunch. Some answers weren't strictly correct as they didn't offer enough options.

However it is still one of the better surveys that I have done.