• 31,165 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 14:35

Part I. As you were then...

Advertisement

#2 BCM

BCM

• 1,964 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 14:37

Seemed a bit inconsistent not penalising DR for tapping KR and yet doing so for Alonso. And I say that as a DR fan.

#3 mzvztag

mzvztag

• 816 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 14:41

Indeed, Now I changed my mind. Racing and passing should be encouraged, so well done for Ricciardo!

Kimi has to qualify better, it simply shouldn't be that hard. I am puzzled how it is possible for him not to develop a style for qualifying only.

#4 Raikkonen

Raikkonen

• 259 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 14:49

What what? Don't tell me you think Ricciardo should have gotten a penalty, while Kimi is moving around in the braking zone like some dick. He was lucky this time it didn't give him a puncture like in 2013, when he did the exact same to Perez.

After month's of reading your comments one can see that alot of them are on the edge of trolling, Alonso got penalized at the same place, Ricciardo had room to the right. If the roles were reversed it's 90% there would not be any contact.

Are your main objective when watching F1 to find faults in Kimi? because it seems that way.

#5 LEO10

LEO10

• 393 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 14:55

After month's of reading your comments one can see that alot of them are on the edge of trolling, Alonso got penalized at the same place, Ricciardo had room to the right. If the roles were reversed it's 90% there would not be any contact.

Are your main objective when watching F1 to find faults in Kimi? because it seems that way.

Alonso got penalized because he clearly lost control of the car and even put Hulkenberg in the barrier, a 5 second penalty was mild. Ricciardo tried a very risky move but in the end the contact happened because Kimi changed his line under braking and closed the door. 

And no, it's not my main objective. But he is a great source of entertainment must be said.

#6 tormave

tormave

• 1,627 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 14:57

Seemed a bit inconsistent not penalising DR for tapping KR and yet doing so for Alonso. And I say that as a DR fan.

Same here, couldn't believe my eyes that RIC got away with this kind of touring car pass. You don't have the cormer if the other driver is heading to the apex and you only have your outside front wheel against his inside rear. After the ALO penalty this was a clear fail.

Kimi has gotten away with bad qualifying with good starts and race pace, but unfortunately for him, both Red Bull's got rocket starts and after that Kimi clear air only after RIC pitted. A race to forget for Kimi, fantastic for Seb.

#7 krea

krea

• 2,115 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 14:59

I don't even I heard any expert opinion that Ricciardo should have get a penalty for that move.

#8 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,547 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:00

Alonso got penalized because he clearly lost control of the car and even put Hulkenberg in the barrier, a 5 second penalty was mild. Ricciardo tried a very risky move but in the end the contact happened because Kimi changed his line under braking and closed the door.

And no, it's not my main objective. But he is a great source of entertainment must be said.

Alonso at least earned himself some space by being alongside Hulkenberg. Ricciardo took a lunge into that corner.

Struggling with the stewards decision here.

#9 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:04

I don't even I heard any expert opinion that Ricciardo should have get a penalty for that move.

Are you drunk?

#10 Radion

Radion

• 2,523 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:06

Alonso got penalized because he clearly lost control of the car and even put Hulkenberg in the barrier, a 5 second penalty was mild. Ricciardo tried a very risky move but in the end the contact happened because Kimi changed his line under braking and closed the door

Closed the door? He took the corner. Or should he wait out Ricc on the inside and slot behind him?

Watch the replay please. Ricc was in no place to overtake Rai, his front wing was at Rai's rear tyre level, both were heading to the apex. And you call that risky move.  :drunk:

#11 BCM

BCM

• 1,964 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:07

No doubt in my mind that it was over eager by Dan. Lucky to get it away with it.

However thinking back didn't Kimi get away with something similar at Rascasse the previous year? Or was he on the receiving end? My memory fails me.

Edit: Not quite the same. He tried to overtake Magnussen and didn't have enough lock...stuffing both of them up.

Edited by BCM, 24 May 2015 - 15:09.

#12 Massa

Massa

• 9,971 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:08

Maybe Raikkonen should have pit during the SC, he had quite a gap with Ricciardo. But in the heat of the moment it's hard to make the choice. These tyres are not made to be in the right temp, then cool down, and in the right temp again. If you let them cool down they are completly dead. But anyway, if he have been good yesterday, he would have been 4th easy, he was way faster than the Red Bull.

He have to sort out quali, maybe change the way he heat up the tyres ? Perhaps he should go full speed in the outlap in the first 2 sectors, and then slow down in the third one before starting a fast lap.

#13 Kulturen

Kulturen

• 1,020 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:10

Alonso at least earned himself some space by being alongside Hulkenberg. Ricciardo took a lunge into that corner.

Struggling? The decision by the stweards is mind boggingly insane! Alonso actually got alongside and there shouldn't have been a penalty.

Ricciardo FLAT OUT GAVE KIMI A BUMP TO HIS BACK WHEEL, and to the stweards that is OK????

What the hell were they smoking? No where in the world is that kind of move OK. And coupled with Alonso getting a pentaly it is just a complete disgrace.

#14 redraven9

redraven9

• 614 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:11

Seb :up: :up:

Kimi :down:  Awful qualy, awful race.

Seb was able to keep Hamilton behind him, why couldn't Kimi do the same with Dan? Merc is a lot better can as well.

Edited by redraven9, 24 May 2015 - 15:11.

#15 Zesus

Zesus

• 958 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:12

Seb was able to keep Hamilton behind him, why couldn't Kimi do the same with Dan?

yeah, i'd love to see how would seb keep hamilton behind if he pushed him off the road.

#16 Radion

Radion

• 2,523 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:13

Seb was able to keep Hamilton behind him, why couldn't Kimi do the same with Dan? Merc is a lot better can as well.

Jesus, are you guys for real? 

I pretty much doubt Vettel could have kept Hamilton behind had the letter pushed Vettel to pass him.

#17 ZuTiMa

ZuTiMa

• 431 posts

Kimi.... Kimi...... Kimi.... ?? where is the Kimi of a few years back? 

Either shape up or make space for Bottas or Hulk

#18 LEO10

LEO10

• 393 posts

Closed the door? He took the corner. Or should he wait out Ricc on the inside and slot behind him?

Watch the replay please. Ricc was in no place to overtake Rai, his front wing was at Rai's rear tyre level, both were heading to the apex. And you call that risky move.  :drunk:

Yea he took the corner with a car next to him, great idea. And no he shouldn't wait for Ric, he should defend the inside, or not and don't change the line during braking. Simple as that. Ricciardo made the move, risky, yes, but Kimi closed the door and contact was inevitable. Stewards and all pundits have said it was a racing incident, it's quite clear

#19 Massa

Massa

• 9,971 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:14

did you watch the race ? Ricciardo push Kimi off track.

Advertisement

#20 krea

krea

• 2,115 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:14

Struggling? The decision by the stweards is mind boggingly insane! Alonso actually got alongside and there shouldn't have been a penalty.

Ricciardo FLAT OUT GAVE KIMI A BUMP TO HIS BACK WHEEL, and to the stweards that is OK????

What the hell were they smoking? No where in the world is that kind of move OK. And coupled with Alonso getting a pentaly it is just a complete disgrace.

Alonso was a prime example of kicking a driver out. 5s penalty was very reasonable for that move.

Ricciardo did nothing wrong and the stewards decision was in line with so many other similiar examples.

#21 redraven9

redraven9

• 614 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:17

Regardless of the accident, Kimi was nowhere near Sebastian, who was fighting the Mercs.

#22 Radion

Radion

• 2,523 posts

Yea he took the corner with a car next to him, great idea. And no he shouldn't wait for Ric, he should defend the inside, or not and don't change the line during braking. Simple as that. Ricciardo made the move, risky, yes, but Kimi closed the door and contact was inevitable. Stewards and all pundits have said it was a racing incident, it's quite clear

PLS explain to me how this is 'car next to him'. 

rairiccsizhk.png

This is not how you overtake man and you know it.  :rolleyes:

#23 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Vettel is having a great season bar Bahrain. He often seems to fluke into some extra points like today, but to be fair he's always in a position to do so.

#24 LEO10

LEO10

• 393 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:20

PLS explain to me how this is 'car next to him'. 

This is not how you overtake man and you know it.  :rolleyes:

How is contact possible with a car that isn't next to you?  :rotfl: 

This is how you overtake on Monaco. Just look at Bianchi last year against Kobayashi I think, into Rascasse. They touched like 3 times, nobody gave a flying **** about it, but because it's Kimi now it's all drama again

#25 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,683 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:20

Kimi has to be treated as number two now. Real shame, but he's just pants!

#26 Massa

Massa

• 9,971 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:21

Kimi did the fastest in lap of the race, 1.36.1, only Hamilton was as fast, Vettel for eg : 1.37.3, Rosberg 1.37.3 ( Raikkonen and Rosberg was stopping at the same lap, Raikkonen was one full second faster than Rosberg on that lap )

The speed was definitely there, a big shame he is that slow on saturday :(

PS : For Vettel, with a normal pit stop ( even a 2.5 seconds pit stop who have been enough ), he would have undercut Rosberg ( Rosberg was only 7 tenths of a seconds in front of Vettel after his pit stop ), so he could have won this race.. 

Vettel had a 3.2 pit stop today.. Vettel have been 1.3 seconds faster than Rosberg in his outlap ,the fastest outlap by far of the race.

Edited by Massa, 24 May 2015 - 15:34.

#27 Kulturen

Kulturen

• 1,020 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:32

Alonso was a prime example of kicking a driver out. 5s penalty was very reasonable for that move.

Ricciardo did nothing wrong and the stewards decision was in line with so many other similiar examples.

Ricciardo did nothing wrong? Are you serious? Explain how bumping another driver from behind is "nothing wrong". Look at the screenshot above if you need evidence.

#28 krea

krea

• 2,115 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:36

Ricciardo did nothing wrong? Are you serious? Explain how bumping another driver from behind is "nothing wrong". Look at the screenshot above if you need evidence.

It's called racing.

And the screenshot even proves that Kimi wasn't taking the ideal line. Both were driving aggressive lines and stuff like that can happen if you are fighting for positions.

Edited by krea, 24 May 2015 - 15:38.

#29 Kulturen

Kulturen

• 1,020 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:38

Judging by some of your posts you are clearly biased so I won't bother wasting any more time with you.

#30 krea

krea

• 2,115 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:40

Judging by some of your posts you are clearly biased so I won't bother wasting any more time with you.

That's funny.

In that youtube video about the crash you can even see how the cars ahead of Kimi were all driving a wider line.

#31 ionutz2oo0

ionutz2oo0

• 213 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:43

How is contact possible with a car that isn't next to you?  :rotfl: 

This is how you overtake on Monaco. Just look at Bianchi last year against Kobayashi I think, into Rascasse. They touched like 3 times, nobody gave a flying **** about it, but because it's Kimi now it's all drama again

no, it was totally different. he didn't almost push kobayashi into the barriers. it was a push and the fact is it was similar to what Alonso did to Hulkenberg. THIS IS NOT TOURING CAR RACING WHERE YOU PUSH OTHERS. IT'S OPEN F**CKING WHEEL RACING. YOU CAN'T PUSH PEOPLE AROUND. 

#32 Kimble

Kimble

• 1,240 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:46

That's a penalty every day of the week.  Kimi only moves once and takes a defensive line, all perfectly fine and above board.  DR isn't even alongside as they enter the braking zone, you have to have shown your nose or something.  At that angle I would have been surprised if DR would have the steering lock to get round the corner.

#33 Kimble

Kimble

• 1,240 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:48

They touched three times as Kobayashi turned back into Bianchi.   That move was about as extreme as you can go but Jules had earned himself the space as he had got his nose half way alongside.

#34 WelshSwan

WelshSwan

• 1,013 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:54

Brundle and co were all shocked Ricciardo got away without a penalty, I think it was a racing incident BUT because they gave Alonso a penalty for the tap on Hulkenberg to be consistent Ricciardo should have got the same. Either way, was a meh race for Kimi today, once Ricciardo pitted he put in a stonking lap so obviously the pace was there but he just couldn't get close enough to pass. Really he needed to pass both the Red Bulls at the start to have had any chance, getting stuck behind them cost him a lot of time. He HAS to sort out his qualifying, his race pace and craft is fine but he is letting himself down big time and losing big points by qualifying in the middle of the pack when he should be on the second row at the very least.

It is so disappointing as a Kimi fan to see him finishing in sixth, fifth, fourth when every race so far, had he qualified better, he could have been on the podium or possibly winning. If he can't improve on his qualifying soon I think Hulk should be given a chance for next year.

#35 Kimble

Kimble

• 1,240 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 15:54

I thought the tyre warm up speed after the safety car was really interesting and showed you the state of play.  There was obvious difference between Merc and Ferrari but I'm pretty sure Seb's seem to come back a lap or two faster than Kimi's, need to check the times.

Let's hope this race gives Pirelli the wake up call it needs and they bring the most aggressive tyre they can for the rest of the year.

#36 anneomoly

anneomoly

• 863 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 16:01

Well, Hulkenburg got a DNF and Kimi didn't? The fact that that's partly down to luck is gonig to be irrelevant - the drivers have asked for less racing penalties for minor incidents (and it was a dodgy move from far too back but in terms of casualties one driver lost one place so yes, minor) so in return we get incidents like that brushed off as a no harm no foul.

I pretty much doubt Vettel could have kept Hamilton behind had the letter pushed Vettel to pass him.

I think Hamilton was pretty keen to get past Vettel...! Not enough for a crazy ass Verstappen-style banzai move that might have put him or both of them out out, but there again he's not a rookie and he is fighting for a WDC.

#37 masa90

masa90

• 2,029 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 17:24

Kimi has had a good pace in races, but has kept on shooting himself in the leg in quali. In races like Spain and Monaco it really backfires massively.

If (and hopefully) he sorts the qualifying out, he will be a real force !

Otherwise he will just not match Seb, who i think is just too good competition to be given this kinda advantage.

Nice to see the Ferrari being a good car though to make good positions availeble for both though.

So, in realistic assumption i think place #4 for Kimi is ok in the final standings (as expected really, hate to say it even as a fan), anything below that is a bit of a failure. Anything above it is win in my books after the horrendous start of season (mostly for reasons out of himself but still)

Next year i hope we will see another one of the excting battle between two of my favourites :) And then i hope it is gloves off for the championship ... ;)

#38 josepatches

josepatches

• 1,109 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 17:35

Scoreboard

Q         6-0 Vettel

Race   5-1 Vettel

#39 Crossmax

Crossmax

• 1,334 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 17:50

The thing is Seb never left the door open for Hamilton to take a launch at him. While I agree that Ric should have gotten a +5 seconds penalty (for the sake of consistency as Alonso's move was pretty much identical), something tells me that if that would have been the case, Red Bull wouldn't have ordered the swap back of places between Ric and Kvyat, making the penalty irrelevant. 

Edited by Crossmax, 24 May 2015 - 17:57.

Advertisement

#40 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,727 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 17:50

everything that has needed to be said about Kimi has been said. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where he needs improvement (the one race he actually qualifies in top 4 he finishes on the podium).

#41 Fomalhaut

Fomalhaut

• 86 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 18:01

Kimi Kimi... I refuse to accept you can't fix the same problem for years... if the tyres are hard you can't do a qualyfing lap! Damn! F1 world champion!

The same problem when you throw away the 2008 WDC, it's always the same! Try something different in the last races that you have in this sport.

#42 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 18:29

Kimi.... Kimi...... Kimi.... ?? where is the Kimi of a few years back? 

Either shape up or make space for Bottas or Hulk

Bottas is a solid driver, but unless he has a Mercedes/ McLaren/ Williams of past, i don't think he'd be a top tier driver. I know, i know, my crow is ready in the fridge, with all the nice dressings and seasonings... just in case. :)

Hulkenberg on the other hand, he has done quite highly in some properly average cars. If he gets an opportunity at front, and soon, he may be worth the risk. Another 3-4 years, and then may be not, but i could be wrong.

By the way, Raikkonen is still Raikkonen. On his days, when he has the car he could shame anyone. I think Button and Raikkonen share that bit.

#43 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,567 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 18:53

Big Kimi fan here. But honestly, he was useless this weekend. Slow. Maybe it is too complicated to find the right setup on this track for him and his engineer and he doesn't give it all when he is 5 or 6th place but if he had been a tenth faster or something he would have made so much more of this race. Instead we get this with Ricciardo and that was just because Kimi was slow.

But I know Kimi can deliver magic sometimes when he is on it, problem is it doesn't seem to come as often as it used to.

#44 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 19:03

Big Kimi fan here. But honestly, he was useless this weekend. Slow. Maybe it is too complicated to find the right setup on this track for him and his engineer and he doesn't give it all when he is 5 or 6th place but if he had been a tenth faster or something he would have made so much more of this race. Instead we get this with Ricciardo and that was just because Kimi was slow.

But I know Kimi can deliver magic sometimes when he is on it, problem is it doesn't seem to come as often as it used to.

Problem is the car. The car is only second best in most situations. The car over the 2 and some years hasn't ever responded well to hard tyres. It is good when the temps are in the tyres, but that has been rare really. Before, well let us just say that having two drivers who like the car to be similarly set-up, it has its plus, but then there's the matter of not knowing whether they both are hitting the limits (i think they're).

Edited by garagetinkerer, 24 May 2015 - 19:04.

#45 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

• 701 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 19:15

Kimi needs to do better or else this might be his last season. Sure, circumstances weren't always in his favor thus far, but there is no denying that he needs to up his game in Quali, especially here in Monaco it was crucial!

I believe Damon Hill summed it up perfectly in the Spanish GP: There is always something with Kimi, car, conditions, strategy etc. He never seems to be pleased. Last year I understood, but this year when the car was made around him he has no excuse anymore. There have been 6 races thus far and Kimi managed to shine in only one or two maybe compared to Vettel's 5!

I am sure that Maurizio wants Kimi for at least 2 more seasons, but if he doesn't confirm, then it will be a problem because Bottas and Hulkenberg are right there, waiting. If Seb can pull off a 3rd, then Kimi needs to be at least 4th on the grid, not 2-3 places down. Let's see what happens in Canada, when Ferrari will improve the PU and when it's easier to overtake...

#46 Loops

Loops

• 135 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 19:20

Kimi needs to get much closer during qualification. Merc will continue to be disastrous in strategy and drop points. Imagine if Kimi was 4th, he could have ended up 3rd.

#47 bman

bman

• 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 20:08

No, Kimi took a normal line, Ric dive bombed, was never alongside, and punted Kimi out of the way with his left front tire.  Should have been a penalty.

#48 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 20:23

Arrivabane said Kimi on race pace is as good as Vettel (which is clear) but he ordered homework for Kimi, he must improve his qualifyings (also very very clear).

#49 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 20:41

Vettel sure is enjoying himself this year and it's obvious the team believes in him.

Nice job Sebastian.

#50 Raest

Raest

• 983 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 20:46

Never liked Kimi's fans but today I have to agree 100% with them. It's beyond me how Ricciardo got away with this...