Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

Ducks! Glove throwing! Spiderman! Sebastian Saavedra! It’s the Dual Duel in Detroit

• Please log in to reply
1206 replies to this topic

#1 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:29

15s92li.jpg

Hello there, and welcome to one of the most eagerly awaited weekends in the auto racing calendar! This sport visits many exotic locations around the world. Formula One has Monaco. Sportscar racing has Le Mans. And, this weekend, IndyCar…has Detroit.

But what makes this venue so special, I hear you ask? Well, other than being very like Monaco (apart from the yachts and all that kinda thing) in that it’s a street track, it has two races. Yes, you read right, two!

track-map-small.jpg

This race has had something of a difficult history. After being dropped from the schedule following the 2001 event, it returned in 2007 and 2008. But for reasons lost to the mist of time (probably funding related, but it sounds better, right?) IndyCar would not revisit Belle Isle again until 2012. If this sounds like I’m copying it directly from a Wikipedia article, you'd be right. Err, no I mean, I knew this all along. Seriously.

WE INTERRUPT THIS RACE PREVIEW FOR RANDOM TRIVIA TIME:

Back in 2000, a future Dancing With The Stars champion named Helio Castroneves was trying his hand at auto mobile racing. He won his first race at this very venue, and afterwards climbed the catch fencing to celebrate. He was dubbed ‘spider-man’ and has done the same thing after his many other victories, including this time last year. But more on that later. This wasn’t copied from Wikipedia, either.

But in that short time since returning to the calendar, it has been the scene of more memorable moments (granted, not all for good reasons) than your average run-of-the-mill F1 Tilke-drome will see in ten years. Probably.

So let’s take a bumpy ride down memory lane and relive what’s happened here before. It’ll be fun, I promise.

Take the ducks, for instance. You remember them, right?

“Oh F-Ducks!”

Yes, an enthusiastic family of ducks decided to get a little too close to the action during a practice session three years ago.

IndyCar, probably keen to avoid any bad publicity from PETA, stopped track activities before any harm could befall the intrepid feathered family. Reports that this was an elaborate PR stunt set up by Aflac have never been confirmed.

egvlp5.jpg

Muhahaha, they'll never suspect a thing!

But that wasn’t the only thing to happen that year. During the race itself, the track surface began to break up, leading James Hinchcliffe to give his expletive-filled assessment on the quality of roads in Detroit.  Bleedin’ council, hey? Never doing their job properly. Tsk.

A great deal of time passed. It gave us time to reflect on the bigger, more meaningful questions, such as “how did those ducks even get on the track without the necessary passes, anyway?” Eventually, the race restarted, with Scott Dixon winning. The race finished about five hours (or what felt like that long) after it started. Yeah, it was one of those days.

Perhaps to make up for the previous year’s disaster, 2013 was the first time that we had two races here. The first race was not-very IndyCar like, in that there were few cautions, and not really any controversy to speak of. Not one bizarre penalty call from race control or anything. But current Toyota WEC driver, Mike Conway, pulled off a shock result to win for Dale Coyne Racing in the Pre-Dracone era for the team.

One thing of note was professional Sonic The Hedgehog lookalike, Sebastian Saavedra, demonstrating his best impersonation of Will Power to Marco Andretti.

6hkoe9.jpg

The following day’s race, however, was much more like the usual IndyCar we’ve come to know. An air of WTF-ness prevailed during the event, which featured more than double the amount of cautions from the previous day’s race. Not least this one, at a time when IndyCar still thought that double file restarts on street courses were a good idea.

Will Power was furious with Sebastien Bourdais, and in true Power fashion, he did little to disguise his disgust.

Unfortunately, the reigning champion was penalised for his actions, as he was in breach of article 8.4.7.5 of the ACCUS glove throwing regulations, which clearly states:

A competitor may only throw his or her racing gloves at a fellow competitor when both drivers are out of their vehicles.*

* - Probably made up.

Still, at least it led to one of the most memorable quotes of recent times:

He once was a champ, now he’s a chump.*

*- Not made up.

Simon Pagenaud took a maiden win, ahead of James Jakes and the previous day’s winner, Conway.

Also of note that weekend was AJ Allmendinger, who, on an appearance for Penske, managed the unenviable feat of completing zero racing laps over two races. Truly one for the history books.

‘So what happened last year?’ I hear nobody asking.

Well, while not on the same kind of demolition derby levels of ham-fisted driving as the year before, there were still plenty of memorable moments in 2014. Where were you, for instance, when Graham Rahal nearly won a race?

Rahal had one of his rare better days of the season in race one last year, where he finished just three tenths of a second behind Will Power. That Power won on a street course was perhaps no surprise – but it was, considering he’d started sixteenth on the grid.  Elsewhere, Justin Wilson climbed from nineteenth place to finish fourth. The previous year’s winners, Conway and Pagenaud, both hit troubles (with the emphasis on the hit bit) early on.

It was that kind of day when you were reminded of just how bizarre IndyCar strategies can often be, with none of the top three qualifiers finishing on the podium. It was a race in which the race result makes absolutely no sense when you look at the next year…

On that note, race two was pretty similar. Will Power was penalised for causing this opening lap melee, which included Newgarden, Rahal and Wilson.

Power spent the rest of the afternoon working his way back up the order to finish in second. But it was team mate Helio Castroneves who took the win, after Mike Conway’s strategy gamble didn’t pay off.

Meanwhile, Ganassi team mates Charlie Diabetes Kimball (did you know he had diabetes, by the way?) and Scott Dixon pulled off the day’s Houdini trick, finishing third and fourth after starting twentieth and twenty-second. 

Takuma Sato, the pole sitter, ended up a lapped eighteenth.

Castroneves was therefore left to celebrate, by doing his climbing-the-catch-fencing spider-man thing that he debuted at the same place all those years ago.

helio75h_1478123a.jpg

I couldn't find an image of Castroneves celebrating last year, but you get the idea.

*Back to present day*

Told you it’d be fun.

Anyway, before we get on to discussing this race, let’s take a look back on the events of the last month in IndyCar land, in JHSingo’s Not Entirely Factual, Exhaustive or Particularly Informative Indy 500 review.

In truth, IndyCar will most likely be glad to leave Indianapolis this year. To say the build up to the race was not the series’ greatest moment is something of an understatement. In future years, people will come to remember it as ‘the one with the flying cars.’

But as IndyCar currently isn’t facing a lengthy and expensive court case for negligence it means:

• They are happy to promote footage of flying cars (because, let’s face it, that’s the only way a racing series that isn’t F1 gains any publicity these days anyway)
  • I can make poorly constructed jokes about it without looking like too much of an a$$hole

You see, the problems began with the introduction of the aero kits. Before Chevrolet and Honda revealed their speedway aero kits to the world, Derrick Walker went on record as saying:

Blah blah boring PR fluff blah. This is the first step in making the incremental changes to our cars toward further enhancing speed, innovation and safety…records will be broken.

Unfortunately, it seems Chevrolet took the idea of cars ‘flying around the track’ a little too literally, perhaps after seeing this Honda advert. And something was being broken. Unfortunately it wasn’t records. But fortunately, it was only several DW12s.

It wasn’t long before people realised that the combination of 230mph cars, catch fencing, and air, probably wasn’t a recipe for something good, particularly after three Chevrolet cars took to the sky in the space of a week. So that was the end of record attempts for this year.

But the man that was (probably) clocking up the most air miles was Tristan Vautier. He was drafted in to qualify James Davison’s Dale Coyne car, and was then supposed to be racing at Silverstone the next weekend. But after Huertas was ruled out, he ended up racing a completely different Coyne car to the one he qualified.

With technical changes made, Scott Dixon made some last minute alterations to his...umm...onboard ballast and secured pole position.

The low point of the month, however, came when James Hinchcliffe was injured the day after qualifying, after a mechanical failure. I guess I’ll be writing for everybody when I say we hope we see him back in the car again soon.

But thankfully, after much sensationalist reporting from media, that normally don’t pay any attention to IndyCar, tried to convince us that the Indianapolis 500 was a snuff film rather than a race and should therefore be cancelled before someone was almost certainly killed, the race featured no deaths, serious injuries, or spectators being hit by flying debris.

What it did feature, was a classic duel between the championship’s two heavyweight teams, Penske and Ganassi. Juan Pablo Montoya won after a thrilling battle in the last few laps with Will Power and Scott Dixon.

As always with IndyCar though, there were plenty of memorable moments that you just don’t get in any other form of racing. The (rather too infrequent, for this poster’s liking) shots of Emma Davies Dixon. The possibility of Grumpy Cat being on an Indycar. The genuinely amusing prank three old stooges played on their young team mate. And Graham Rahal’s attempt to stake a claim to title of ‘Greatest Spectacle In Racing’ with this suit.

2s6mqt5.jpg

And so for Detroit. What can we expect this weekend? Well, who knows? Thankfully with slower cornering speeds we’re not likely to see any cars taking off unless something has really, really gone wrong. But as we’ve seen, anything can happen here. It’s even harder to predict than Dale Coyne Racing’s driver line up for the weekend, (which, incidentally, has probably changed since you started reading this) but it should be entertaining. It will definitely be more entertaining than sodding Eurovision was, anyway.

We can make a guess on what the main stories will be:

• Graham Rahal – His upturn in form this year has come as a surprise to…well, pretty much everybody who has been watching IndyCar for the past few years. But could Rahal finally get back to winning ways this weekend? He was just a shave off ending that drought at Barber, finished second in the other Indy race, was best of the Hondas in fifth in the main Indy race, and is enjoying his strongest season for a long time, so it’s not as ridiculous as it might otherwise sound. 
  • The Chevrolet/Honda battle –Despite negative media coverage, Chevrolet’s testing of their new light aircraft was actually pretty successful. But at Detroit, they’ll be keen to return their focus to racing, as seen in the event’s name: Chevrolet Indy Duel. Whether this means that the Hondas won’t be allowed to compete is only something we can speculate about right now.
  • Debris cautions - What’s that sound? Is it the collective groan of the poor overworked Dallara employees as five more front wings, which took hours of painstaking work to make, are destroyed after an overambitious lunge into turn three? Well, given what’s happened here for the previous three years, quite possibly.
  • Dale Coyne’s driver line up – Any guesses as to who it will be? Will DRACONE/Grumpy Cat/Somebody You’ve Never Heard Of be back, by popular demand of Coyne’s accountants? Stay tuned.

npru5s.jpg

Dracone fans, I kid you not.

Championship standings:

1. Juan Pablo Montoya – 272

2. Will Power – 247

3. Scott Dixon – 211

4. Helio Castroneves – 206

5. Graham Rahal – 204

6. Josef Newgarden – 173

7. Sebastien Bourdais – 161

8. Charlie Kimball – 160

9. Marco Andretti – 151

10. Tony Kanaan – 147

Weekend schedule (subject to change aka please don’t shout at me if it’s now different):

Saturday, May 30, 2015
7:30 a.m. Gates Open
7:30 a.m. – 8:00 a.m. Pirelli World Challenge Qualifying – Race #1 (GT/GTA)
8:15 a.m. – 8:35 a.m. TUDOR Championship Warm-Up (P/PC/GT Daytona)
8:55 a.m. – 9:25 a.m. Verizon IndyCar Series – Practice #2
9:35 a.m. –9:50 a.m. Pirelli World Challenge Pre-race ceremonies – Race #1
9:50 a.m. – 10:50 a.m. Cadillac V-Series Challenge presented by the Metro Detroit Cadillac Dealers – Race #1
10:50 a.m. – 11:05 a.m. Pirelli World Challenge Post-race ceremonies
11:05 a.m. – 11:55 a.m. TUDOR Championship Pre-Race/Recon Lap/IMSA Hot Lap Experience (by invitation only)
11:15 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. TUDOR Championship – Open Grid Fan Walk – Pit Lane
11:55 a.m. – 12:05 p.m. TUDOR Championship - Formation Laps
12:05 p.m. – 1:45 p.m. Chevrolet Sports Car Classic presented by the Metro Detroit Chevy Dealers – 100 min.
1:45 p.m. – 2:15 p.m. TUDOR United SportsCar Championship Post-Race Ceremonies
3:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Verizon IndyCar Series pre-race
3:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. Chevrolet Dual in Detroit presented by Quicken Loans – Dual I (70 laps)
3:50 p.m. (estimated) Green Flag waves

5:45 p.m. (estimated) Verizon IndyCar Series post-race ceremonies (near Start/Finish area)

Sunday, May 31, 2015
8:00 a.m. Gates Open
8:35 a.m. – 9:05 a.m. Pirelli World Challenge Warm-Up – Race #2 (GT/GTA)
11:25 a.m. – 11:55 a.m. Verizon IndyCar Series Qualifying – Dual II (split groups)
11:55 p.m. – 12:10 p.m. Pirelli World Challenge Pre-race
12:10 p.m. – 1:10 p.m. Cadillac V-Series Challenge presented by the Metro Detroit Cadillac Dealers – Race #2
1:10 p.m. – 1:25 p.m. Pirelli World Challenge post-race ceremonies
3:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Verizon IndyCar Series Pre-race
3:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. Chevrolet Dual in Detroit presented by Quicken Loans - Dual II (70 laps)
3:50 p.m. (estimated) Green Flag waves

5:45 p.m. (estimated) Verizon IndyCar Series post-race ceremonies

All that leaves me to say, is that if Graham Rahal does manage to win, there’s one way and one way only that will be appropriate to celebrate such a momentous occasion. That is to get up from your sofa (or wherever you happen to be watching the race from) and Rahal rave your heart out. Especially if you’ve remembered to put him on your fantasy team.

If you’re so inclined, why not record it on your telephone (it is law of the internet that I tell you to film this horizontally, rather than vertically) so strangers on the internet you’ve never met before can judge…err, I mean, compliment you, on your raving skills.

Happy raving.

H/T to Afterburner for helping me with the formatting of this post.

Edited by JHSingo, 27 May 2015 - 13:59.

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:55

Ducks? No problem! The Canal and River Trust have the answer.

ducks-tow-path-bike.jpeg?w=640

London’s canal walkways now have “duck lanes”

#3 Peat

Peat

• 8,799 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 13:02

It's just too soon. 

I hate you Mark Miles. 

#4 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 13:04

Good OP.

At least Hinchcliffe won't have to complain about track surface this year, although as a town mayor, I'm sure he should be sympathetic about civil engineering tasks, no matter what you do, someone will always find things to complain about...

#5 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,065 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 13:04

And as requested by some people on the Interwebs, Conor Daly fills in for Hinch this weekend.

#6 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 13:37

For some reason, one of the links didn't work. This was the possibility of Grumpy Cat on an IndyCar, for anyone who missed it.

2yv1l79.jpg

#7 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 13:54

I'd support that, only if they went up against Josh Wise with the Dogecoin livery.

#8 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 14:37

Why not Sato? 

#9 paulb

paulb

• 11,158 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 14:53

Great OP! I only suggest you missed an opportunity with

"And Graham Rahal’s attempt to steak a claim to title of ‘Greatest Spectacle In Racing’ with this suit."

#10 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 17:47

Great OP! I only suggest you missed an opportunity with

"And Graham Rahal’s attempt to steak a claim to title of ‘Greatest Spectacle In Racing’ with this suit."

Now why didn't I think of that?

Err, no I mean...that one's too obvious. :p

#11 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 18:43

http://fox59.com/201...car-vs-indycar/

stupid race fans... It like reading posts in the 500 thread. 

Jp

#12 vowcartaGP

vowcartaGP

• 105 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 20:25

Well that's my evenings entertainment sorted OP.

I'm looking forward to seeing what shade of green Power goes this year as he edges ever closer to actually turning into the hulk after a crash on race day.

As for the Dale Coyne driver line up, that sort of prediction should have good odds with Bet365. I'll go with Chanoch Nissany and Jean Denis Deletraz, both of who, have yet to taste IndyCar and have been talent spotted by the same guy who found Alex Yoong and Gaston Mazzacane.

Oh and I hope JPM wins a race this weekend but I bet he'll still be drunk from the weeks celebrations. I'll be drunk too which should spice up the action if it turns into a parade.

Edited by vowcartaGP, 26 May 2015 - 20:26.

#13 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 22:14

Knowing Dale Coyne, it'll be probably Gonzalez and Dracone again. I guess rolling chicanes at Belle Isle could spice up the racing :p

#14 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 00:10

Knowing Dale Coyne, it'll be probably Gonzalez and Dracone again. I guess rolling chicanes at Belle Isle could spice up the racing :p

As does releasing your 1st car into the path of your 2nd so it can crash into your 3rd.

I haven't such a waste of time and money since Detroit. And I don't mean this race last year. I mean Detroit.

#15 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 00:21

As does releasing your 1st car into the path of your 2nd so it can crash into your 3rd.

Vautier's car had a mechanical problem (right front suspension maybe?), that's why the crewmen were still working when the other DCR cars left their pit stalls. Ironically it was the same guy (Todd Phillips) who got knocked over at NOLA that let Davison go too early.

#16 prommer

prommer

• 4,950 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:00

For some reason, one of the links didn't work. This was the possibility of Grumpy Cat on an IndyCar, for anyone who missed it.

2yv1l79.jpg

Which btw inspired this classic reply from Grumpy Cat himself:

@stef_wilson I never said that. Don't speak on my behalf Stefan.

#17 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:34

Vautier's car had a mechanical problem (right front suspension maybe?), that's why the crewmen were still working when the other DCR cars left their pit stalls. Ironically it was the same guy (Todd Phillips) who got knocked over at NOLA that let Davison go too early.

I didn't know that, that is kinda goofy. Did they mention that on the broadcast? I must have missed it.

#18 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:47

Which btw inspired this classic reply from Grumpy Cat himself:

@stef_wilson I never said that. Don't speak on my behalf Stefan.

Handbags at dawn! 

#19 Peat

Peat

• 8,799 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:59

Curt Cavin seemed to intimate, at the Burger Bash, that there were fears that Huertas' inner ear problem (that has made him pull out of Iowa, Fontana and now Indy) could be some kind of tumour. I thought that was a pretty extraordinary thing to casually ruminate upon on a radio show...

Advertisement

#20 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:03

Long weekend here, means I can watch both live!!

All indy! All the time!

#21 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:05

I didn't know that, that is kinda goofy. Did they mention that on the broadcast? I must have missed it.

Not sure if ABC mentioned it, but he is in charge of the #19's pitcrew.

#22 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 18:09

Dale Coyne Racing ‏@DaleCoyneRacing 15 minutes ago

BREAKING: @RSpeedyGonzalez will drive the No. 18 and @TristanVautier will be in the No. 19 for us this weekend in the @detroitgp. #IndyCar

Okay, I can roll with that. It wouldn't surprise me if Vautier gives up his Blancpain drive for Indycar full-time.

Edited by Prost1997T, 27 May 2015 - 18:09.

#23 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 18:13

Would you guys hate me if I said I'm just a tiny bit disappointed that DRACONE isn't back? :p

#24 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 18:18

Would you guys hate me if I said I'm just a tiny bit disappointed that DRACONE isn't back? :p

I think he's served his purpose from a money and entertainment standpoint. The joke was played out and got boring :)

#25 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 18:37

Well at least he can spend more time on Twitter now :p

Great OP by the way :up:

#26 racinggeek

racinggeek

• 732 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 19:25

Yet another XLNT IndyCar OP, JHS.

2s6mqt5.jpg

Goofy as it is, I'd nominate this for the Driving Suit Hall of Fame in a second. Love it.

And as I noted back when the Steak 'n Shake/Maxim sponsorship was announced, every fan on this side of the Atlantic oughta be a Rahal fan. Does it get more American than burgers and babes?  :cool:

Edited by racinggeek, 27 May 2015 - 19:26.

#27 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 20:04

Curt Cavin seemed to intimate, at the Burger Bash, that there were fears that Huertas' inner ear problem (that has made him pull out of Iowa, Fontana and now Indy) could be some kind of tumour. I thought that was a pretty extraordinary thing to casually ruminate upon on a radio show...

Huertas should be checked for something called "Benign Positional Vertigo", if he hasn't already.

#28 paulb

paulb

• 11,158 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 21:44

For people that think IndyCar and its fans are lowbrow, when is the last time you saw the term "ruminate" ?

#29 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 21:57

Speaking of Radio show....

Give a listen to the post race wrap up

Jp

#30 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 22:49

Oh and before the jet lag kicks in and I forget.......

You will need to make 2 separate sets of picks this weekend.

One for Saturday

http://fantasy.indyc.../play?round=347

One for Sunday

http://fantasy.indyc.../play?round=348

Jp

#31 stewie

stewie

• 3,553 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 16:17

Got my parents up this week, time for Miss Stewie to entertain while I watch the race on Saturday night... Mind you, my old man liked CART back in the day so he might watch it with me!

#32 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,389 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 16:46

Is Steak & Shake that stuff you clean carpets with? I see that, as Conway was so successful at this venue last year, he's not driving this...

Edited by Bloggsworth, 28 May 2015 - 16:46.

#33 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 17:19

No darling that's Shake n' Vac..

I see the Mayor is a bit skittish about Will being in charge of his wheelchair.

05-27-Hinch-Power-Hospital-Discharge-Std

Jp

#34 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,065 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 17:27

Is Steak & Shake that stuff you clean carpets with? I see that, as Conway was so successful at this venue last year, he's not driving this...

Full-season WEC deal with Toyota this year, Le Mans test day on the same weekend.

#35 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 18:01

Jp

I love some of the Facebook comments on this picture.

"You probably wouldn't see Nico Rosberg do this to Lewis Hamilton....hahahah"

"Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton are they biggest cry babies in all of motorsports"

"Lewis would probably push Nico's wheelchair into traffic given the chance."

:lol:

#36 stewie

stewie

• 3,553 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 18:44

Jp

I just showed Miss Stewie this pic. She said didn't that guy standing come 2nd at Indy?? Turns out she does listen to me after all.

#37 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 19:30

Tony Kanaan is running a Taylor Swift livery this weekend, apparently. No, really.

https://twitter.com/...994677965099009

#38 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 19:48

Cue the 'cool to be uncool' "I've never heard of her" comments....  

cf. - http://forums.autosp...harrel-wiliams/

#39 stewie

stewie

• 3,553 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 19:55

Tony Kanaan is running a Taylor Swift livery this weekend, apparently. No, really.

I'm more interested in the first sighting of the little winglet before the rear wheel ramp...

Advertisement

#40 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 20:09

Sadly, I think this has to go on my 'worst ever liveries' list. :lol:

CGHiPe0WIAAknl6.jpg

#41 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 20:29

Cue the 'cool to be uncool' "I've never heard of her" comments....  

cf. - http://forums.autosp...harrel-wiliams/

I genuinely hadnt before Dan Wheldon's pre race interview at Vegas 2011..

Whole point of advertising I guess, I hadn't heard of Marlboro or Red Bull at one point either.

#42 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 20:44

Good to see Jon Pollak using his connections to combine two of his favourite things. But will this mean an avatar update?

#43 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 20:56

That must be a Big Machine Records primary sponsorship deal, coinciding with Taylor Swift touring in the area.

http://www.racer.com...e-with-andretti So apparently Justin Wilson turned down other offers from Honda teams out of loyalty to Andretti..

New version of the Honda front wing:

Vt3VNQj.jpg

Edited by Prost1997T, 29 May 2015 - 08:24.

#44 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 21:09

Must. Resist. Making. Taylor. Swift. Puns.
At least there won't be a blank space on the car........................I'll see myself out. :blush:

#45 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 22:22

Meh... TjqsPT5.png I prefer the RED wrap on JPM's NASCAR ride a few years ago and no.... Taylor will not feature in my avatar rotation.

taylor-swift-tony-stewart-speed-sound.jp

Edited by jonpollak, 29 May 2015 - 00:06.

#46 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,125 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 23:10

In Detroit to work the IMSA race this weekend; will be flying back home on Sunday, so will be missing the second Indy race, though I plan to watch the first one live (should be done working by then). Going to be taking plenty of pictures. :)

Enjoy the race(s), guys!

#47 paulb

paulb

• 11,158 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 23:47

Sadly, I think this has to go on my 'worst ever liveries' list. :lol:

CGHiPe0WIAAknl6.jpg

If he makes it to the top of the box in either race, you should get a swifty avatar.

Edited by paulb, 28 May 2015 - 23:50.

#48 paulb

paulb

• 11,158 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 00:06

Preliminary picks made.  

#49 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:33

Taylor is sponsoring a one time CART chasis provider back into the game?

Good work!

#50 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,699 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:42

Must. Resist. Making. Taylor. Swift. Puns.
At least there won't be a blank space on the car........................I'll see myself out. :blush:

Good 'cause we're young and we're reckless and we'll take this way too far

Edited by PayasYouRace, 29 May 2015 - 14:48.