* * * * * 2 votes

Isle of Man TT 2015

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#1 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 14:10

The pinnacle of road racing begins today with practice on the magnificent Isle of Man TT course.

So what's the track like?
37.73 miles of pure awesomeness
IOM-TTCoursemap.jpg

The race schedule
Courtesy of the TT website
Saturday 6th June

11.00 TT Superbike Race 6 laps

14.00 TT Sidecar Race 1 3 laps

Monday 8th June

10.45 TT Supersport Race 1 4 laps

14.00 TT Superstock 4 laps

Wednesday 10th June

10.45 TT Zero Challenge 1 lap

12.00 TT Supersport Race 2 4 laps

14.15 TT Sidecar Race 2 3 laps

Friday 12th June

10.15 Lightweight TT Race 3 laps

12.30 Senior TT Race 6 laps

More info on the schedule here: http://www.iomtt.com...e-Schedule.aspx

Where can I watch the race?
Unfortunately you can't watch the race live, you can't even go Nigerian. But you can follow the races live using radio TT either on the website using the TT live feature
http://www.iomtt.com
or using the official app
Isle Of Man TT by Isle of Man Government
https://appsto.re/gb/DvETM.i
You can also watch highlights on ITV4 from 9pm most nights starting from Monday.

isle-of-man-tt.jpg
Enjoy. :)

Advertisement

#2 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,834 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 14:25

Here's a Michael Dunlop onboard from a couple of years ago, courtesy of Duke Video and Youtube. Takes about as long as a WTCC race.

#3 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 14:38

I was in the process of doing an opening post, you beat me to it Sheep. Here's a sampler,
Ballaugh_zpstbp04x3o.jpg

#4 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 14:40

Can't understand that this isn't broadcasted live on a stream ...

#5 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,834 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 14:48

Two words, Requiem. Radio.

#6 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 14:51

I was in the process of doing an opening post, you beat me to it Sheep. Here's a sampler,
Ballaugh_zpstbp04x3o.jpg

Oh I'm sorry I didn't realise you were working on one. I can delete my op and you can post yours instead as I know mine isn't very good, I don't mind :) Sorry again.

#7 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,562 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 14:53

I'm amazed that this is still a thing that exists. Death waits around every corner.

#8 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 14:59

Two words, Requiem. Radio.

Iom tt is about the amazing visuals, not some oral report. Imo.

#9 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,266 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 15:03

I'm amazed that this is still a thing that exists. Death waits around every corner.

And THAT, my dear boy, is exactly why it needs to survive.

ANYHOO.....

I'm on my way to Japan on Monday and expect you lot to provide endless YouTube clips from this years event so I can sit in my hotel room and rhapsodise over a few beers on the majesty of this glorious event !!!

Jp

#10 Eruobodo

Eruobodo

• 918 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 15:32

The pinnacle of road racing begins today with practice on the magnificent Isle of Man TT course.

So what's the track like?
37.73 miles of pure awesomeness
IOM-TTCoursemap.jpg

The race schedule
Courtesy of the TT website
Saturday 6th June

11.00 TT Superbike Race 6 laps

14.00 TT Sidecar Race 1 3 laps

Monday 8th June

10.45 TT Supersport Race 1 4 laps

14.00 TT Superstock 4 laps

Wednesday 10th June

10.45 TT Zero Challenge 1 lap

12.00 TT Supersport Race 2 4 laps

14.15 TT Sidecar Race 2 3 laps

Friday 12th June

10.15 Lightweight TT Race 3 laps

12.30 Senior TT Race 6 laps

More info on the schedule here: http://www.iomtt.com...e-Schedule.aspx

Where can I watch the race?
Unfortunately you can't watch the race live, you can't even go Nigerian. But you can follow the races live using radio TT either on the website using the TT live feature
http://www.iomtt.com
or using the official app
Isle Of Man TT by Isle of Man Government
https://appsto.re/gb/DvETM.i
You can also watch highlights on ITV4 from 9pm most nights starting from Monday.

isle-of-man-tt.jpg
Enjoy. :)

What the heck is going Nigerian?

#11 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 15:33

Oh I'm sorry I didn't realise you were working on one. I can delete my op and you can post yours instead as I know mine isn't very good, I don't mind :) Sorry again.

Jeez, don't be daft. I haven't bothered in the past 'cos it doesn't seem to get much of a following, I doubt there will be more than a handful following. Anyway, I'm on my way Wednesday but I'm going to miss the senior and wednesday's races because I'll be in Le Mans by that evening. I'll have to rely on wi-fi.

Iom tt is about the amazing visuals, not some oral report. Imo.

It's filmed live to be viewed later, much later. There's a fairly obvious reason for this, think about Risil's wise words.

#12 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 15:35

Newcomers practice tonight at 18.20

#13 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 15:37

You're asking the wrong person, JP is the man that will help with an explanation.  ;)

#14 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,266 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 15:38

ooohhh lookie there... growth potential !!!

Jp

#15 Eruobodo

Eruobodo

• 918 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 15:39

You're asking the wrong person, JP is the man that will help with an explanation.  ;)

Huh??? Who is JP? 

#16 Eruobodo

Eruobodo

• 918 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 15:39

ooohhh lookie there... growth potential !!!

Jp

??

#17 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 15:41

??

:rotfl:

#18 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,266 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 15:41

Huh??? Who is JP? 

Only the greatest race fan in the whole blinkin' world !!!

Jp

#19 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,266 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 15:45

you forgot to say weather permitting as sometimes weather hit the TT and causes delay to the motorbikers

Stay on topic kells..

Jp

Advertisement

#20 Eruobodo

Eruobodo

• 918 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 15:47

:rotfl:

Seems I am missing something here. I am only asking because I am Nigerian and I wondered what it meant going Nigerian, anyway, forget I asked.

#21 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,266 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 15:50

:blush:

I'll send you a personal message..

Jp

EDIT: Check your email Eruobodo :up:

Edited by jonpollak, 30 May 2015 - 15:55.

#22 Eruobodo

Eruobodo

• 918 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 16:02

:blush:

I'll send you a personal message..

Jp

EDIT: Check your email Eruobodo :up:

Got it. Well I definitely go Nigerian even here in Canada.

#23 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 16:03

Seems I am missing something here. I am only asking because I am Nigerian and I wondered what it meant going Nigerian, anyway, forget I asked.

A :blush: from me too. It's a standing joke here and one needs to make allowances for newcomers. Sorry and welcome to the forum.

#24 Eruobodo

Eruobodo

• 918 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 16:06

A :blush: from me too. It's a standing joke here and one needs to make allowances for newcomers. Sorry and welcome to the forum.

Thanks. I have been going Nigerian for a long time, just did not know the proper terms, thanks to JP for enlightening a Nigerian on going Nigerian. I am amazed at how those guys ride that fast, I got dizzy watching the bikes.

Edited by Eruobodo, 30 May 2015 - 16:08.

#25 Gyno

Gyno

• 657 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 16:18

Road Warriors

https://www.youtube....h?v=XtZlm9Lp7q4

#26 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 16:25

Ah apologies that's a long standing joke that not everyone might get. :blush: But I see JP has explained it to you now.

Can't understand that this isn't broadcasted live on a stream ...

Its 37.73 miles long live streaming multiple cameras across a massive distance would just be impossible. Look at the north west 200, until recently that was live streamed only by chopper and camera at the start line and that's a much smaller size than the TT.

May I also recommend everyone gets the latest issue of bikesport news for a pretty comprehensive preview of the TT. :)

#27 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 16:53

How about this for a tank slapper.

#28 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 17:28

Newcomers practice starting now. Listen here: http://www.manxradio...radioplayer/am/
After that it's sidecar practice.

#29 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,871 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 17:57

For those outside Britain, a perfectly legal way to watch ITV 4: https://www.filmon.c...roup/uk-live-tv That link will default to BBC1, but you can select ITV 4 or ITV 4+1 from the menu below. They also have an Android app which is Chromecast-enabled.

#30 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 18:18

For those outside Britain, a perfectly legal way to watch ITV 4: https://www.filmon.c...roup/uk-live-tv That link will default to BBC1, but you can select ITV 4 or ITV 4+1 from the menu below. They also have an Android app which is Chromecast-enabled.

Thanks for that V2, oddly, I found this site this afternoon whilst looking for the nightly broadcast. We had ITV4 until earlier in the year, it was put on a UK spot beam. What I didn't realise until looking again was that the BBC channels are available.  :up:

#31 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 18:20

Newcomers practice starting now. Listen here: http://www.manxradio...radioplayer/am/
After that it's sidecar practice.

Thanks Sheep

Here's Dave Jeffries talking you through a lap in 2002

When someone of that calibre claims it is almost flat and scary you know how serious that corner is

I wish Dave was still with us today.   Having watched that  suddenly feel quite  sad.

Andy

Edited by Andy35, 30 May 2015 - 18:21.

#32 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 18:42

Session ending due to the weather.

#33 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 18:54

I wish Dave was still with us today.   Having watched that  suddenly feel quite  sad.

Andy

I'll never forget that day, I was on a flight to the IOM from Manchester that morning, May 29th 2003, I had a row 1 aisle seat. We were asked to wait a couple of minutes for some other passengers. When the others boarded, three of them, I recognised the wheelchair bound Tony Jefferies as being one of them, Dave's father, the other two were Dave's mum and sister. They got seated across the aisle from me and cried for the whole thirty five minute journey. I just knew why...

Edited by milestone 11, 30 May 2015 - 18:57.

#34 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:32

I am torn about the TT.

While it is perhaps one of the greatest sporting challenges known to man, I have had to endure many years now of people I respect and admire getting killed there.

I want John to stop, Bruce, Guy, Hutchy. I don't want any of them to race there anymore because I do not want to find out from here on a Wednesday afternoon after a crap day at work that a hero of mine has died.

That is a very selfish outlook though, these guys know what they are doing and at their level, usually only freak occurences are going to claim them, but you are sort of playing Russian roulette racing there.

Guys like Dunlop, McCallen, no, they are just nutters for me, risking everything, so was DJ to some extent. But you have to rsk there to find new ways of going quicker. Look at Joey, he was still winning when experience and knowing when you COULD win was possible, not pushing it when things arent right, that is why he and John are for me the greats of the TT. They win when they can, not at all costs.

I just wish it was a little bit safer, but in reality that can never happen.

#35 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,834 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:44

:up:

#36 Gyno

Gyno

• 657 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 15:18

I was really torned up when DJ died 12 years ago.

I stopped following it for a while as I didn't wanna go through the same thing again.

But after a few years I couldn't resist it anymore and now I come to terms with the fact that someone might die during the 2 weeks.

It's sad when ever that happens but they all know the risks involved better then any of us that has never raced at the TT.

#37 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 15:34

I am torn about the TT.

While it is perhaps one of the greatest sporting challenges known to man, I have had to endure many years now of people I respect and admire getting killed there.

I want John to stop, Bruce, Guy, Hutchy. I don't want any of them to race there anymore because I do not want to find out from here on a Wednesday afternoon after a crap day at work that a hero of mine has died.

That is a very selfish outlook though, these guys know what they are doing and at their level, usually only freak occurences are going to claim them, but you are sort of playing Russian roulette racing there.

Guys like Dunlop, McCallen, no, they are just nutters for me, risking everything, so was DJ to some extent. But you have to rsk there to find new ways of going quicker. Look at Joey, he was still winning when experience and knowing when you COULD win was possible, not pushing it when things arent right, that is why he and John are for me the greats of the TT. They win when they can, not at all costs.

I just wish it was a little bit safer, but in reality that can never happen.

It's tough because I feel like I get accused by many for being heartless and uncaring when it comes to this stuff. 

But the TT is the closest thing left on this planet to the endurance races of old whether they were 2 or 4 wheeled machines. To watch guys on the razor thin line of life and death is inspiring to me, and why I love the fact that the TT still exists. It's tough to watch guys you were a fan of be killed in what ultimately may seem like a completely useless endeavor. Yet, in the risk involved, I find the joy of life to be that much greater when you see man achieving seemingly inhuman feats. As a rider, part of the fun in simply being out on the road is the complete sense of freedom that comes with the risk. 

I hope there are no deaths this year, but if there are, think about it in this way, these guys have died doing what they loved. Hell, they were doing what made them happy right up until the moment of their death, and since many find themselves spending their last days in a bed somewhere fading away into death, to go out having the thrill of your life is far better on some level. 

#38 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,659 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 15:40

I had totally forgotten it was TT time again.

This really is the greatest time of year to be a motorsport fan.

#39 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,652 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 15:48

Thanks for the vid Risil. :up:

That is pure insanity. And I love it.

Advertisement

#40 kapow

kapow

• 934 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 22:40

It's tough because I feel like I get accused by many for being heartless and uncaring when it comes to this stuff.

But the TT is the closest thing left on this planet to the endurance races of old whether they were 2 or 4 wheeled machines. To watch guys on the razor thin line of life and death is inspiring to me, and why I love the fact that the TT still exists. It's tough to watch guys you were a fan of be killed in what ultimately may seem like a completely useless endeavor. Yet, in the risk involved, I find the joy of life to be that much greater when you see man achieving seemingly inhuman feats. As a rider, part of the fun in simply being out on the road is the complete sense of freedom that comes with the risk.

I hope there are no deaths this year, but if there are, think about it in this way, these guys have died doing what they loved. Hell, they were doing what made them happy right up until the moment of their death, and since many find themselves spending their last days in a bed somewhere fading away into death, to go out having the thrill of your life is far better on some level.

See, I always struggle to buy the "they died doing what they love" line.

They love riding motorcycles at high speed, they probably even love the danger. What I doubt they love is hitting a stone wall at 180mph. I bet they'd all change their minds at that split second if they could.

And are they all doing for the "love"? How many get paid and sponsored? How much money does the island make from it?

Then again, what are the limits to it? I deeply love motor sport but drivers and riders do die - even in the top series on supposedly "safe" tracks.

Edited by kapow, 31 May 2015 - 22:42.

#41 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 23:56

What I doubt they love is hitting a stone wall at 180mph. I bet they'd all change their minds at that split second if they could.

Undoubtedly. Being alive is much preferable to being dead. But as deaths go, I can imagine that the stone wall might be preferable to a long and protracted death from cancer for example.

You could take no risk for the entirety of your life, do a job that you hate and live until you are 100 but be miserable because life didn't turn out how you wanted. Is that really better? Is survival something that we should always prioritise at all costs? If our life has no value then what is it we are living for exactly? There's no cosmic plan for us - we have to take it upon ourselves to give our lives value. Some do that by being a great artist, some by helping others, some by racing motorcycles.

Edited by Rob, 31 May 2015 - 23:56.

#42 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 00:42

See, I always struggle to buy the "they died doing what they love" line.

They love riding motorcycles at high speed, they probably even love the danger. What I doubt they love is hitting a stone wall at 180mph. I bet they'd all change their minds at that split second if they could.

And are they all doing for the "love"? How many get paid and sponsored? How much money does the island make from it?

Then again, what are the limits to it? I deeply love motor sport but drivers and riders do die - even in the top series on supposedly "safe" tracks.

Everyone knows the risks involved, so I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Yes it's certainly sad when one of them dies, but I've always been of the belief that if they know what the risks are beforehand, that's all you can ask for. It's a conscious decision they make, and let's be real, no one is forcing them to do this for a career. There's far better things to do if you're interested in life longevity. Sure they might change their minds if they knew beyond certainty that they'd be the one hitting that wall at 180MPH, but fact is they don't know beforehand. You can play the what if game with a lot of things, but playing it with motor sports is part of the reason most of us are sitting at home, or on the sides of race circuits watching these guys. You have to have the mental fortitude to put all of that out of mind completely and focus only on performing. 

Like I said though, my viewpoints are atypical, and even more so in a world that is obsessed with minimizing risk and holding onto the idea that longevity somehow equates to a life worth living. Death comes for all of us, it's just a matter of how you want to live in between birth and death. 

Edited by BoschKurve, 01 June 2015 - 00:45.

#43 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:17

If you have driven a motorbike in anger on track, you understand how fiercely addictive and exciting it is.

I'm sure many of the riders would feel extremely sad if the TT would be disallowed...

#44 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,507 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:50

Undoubtedly. Being alive is much preferable to being dead. But as deaths go, I can imagine that the stone wall might be preferable to a long and protracted death from cancer for example.

You could take no risk for the entirety of your life, do a job that you hate and live until you are 100 but be miserable because life didn't turn out how you wanted. Is that really better? Is survival something that we should always prioritise at all costs? If our life has no value then what is it we are living for exactly? There's no cosmic plan for us - we have to take it upon ourselves to give our lives value. Some do that by being a great artist, some by helping others, some by racing motorcycles.

I have to say that I think this is a false dichotomy. Not pursuing motorcycle road racing is not the same as taking no risk at all in life, or having no excitement. 

#45 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:00

I have to say that I think this is a false dichotomy. Not pursuing motorcycle road racing is not the same as taking no risk at all in life, or having no excitement. 

I wasn't implying that it was.

Some do that by being a great artist, some by helping others, some by racing motorcycles.

#46 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:06

You have to place it in perspective; you and me don't have to race bikes to have an exciting life, true.

But Guy Martin et al problaby have a very different opinion of what is exciting in life. It's a relative term, relating to your mindset nd experiences.

#47 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:10

Fact is they removed the IoM from the MotoGP circuit because it was too dangerous and riders wanting to compete in bike racing felt obliged to compete. Now as a stand-alone event, no-one 'has' to compete. If you choose to do so, you know the risks.

No-one puts on a helmet and race suit on an iconic circuit ranked as one of the most dangerous in the world and doesn't know the risks. No-one is forced to watch and none of the marshals are forced to attend and deal with the inevitable accidents. They all do so because of the love of the sport and the unmatched adrenaline that this circuit gives over any other.

#48 balmybaldwin

balmybaldwin

• 2,086 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:17

For any that might of missed it, or any that want to see it again.  TT3d:CLoser to the Edge (IOM TT docu) was on itv1 on Saturday night about 11:30 so should still be viewable on catch-up TV in the UK

#49 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:26

For any that might of missed it, or any that want to see it again.  TT3d:CLoser to the Edge (IOM TT docu) was on itv1 on Saturday night about 11:30 so should still be viewable on catch-up TV in the UK

Sadly not - most films don't go onto the catch-up players, probably a licensing issue.

#50 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:54

My mate's brother and local lad Tom McChale is in the newcomers this year.... We had to help raise him some dosh to do it.
"Stay fast, and stay out of trouble" we said.....

I still haven't been over to watch, it is on my bucket list.
Apparently the scariest motor sport possible to see in the flesh.