Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Canadian Grand Prix 2015 - Build Up Thread!

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#1 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 00:25

No build up thread yet  :(  (I blame Afterburner for the amazing opening post for the Monaco GP thread   ;) â€“ nothing is going to live up to that, I certainly can't compete with all that awesomeness so this is going back to being just a (boring) build-up thread but it will have to do as no-one else has attempted anything and its already Tuesday  :cat:) Hopefully someone can work on creating a decent Practice and Qualifying opening post!!!  :D 

CGKs_NmWcAAaQDM.png
(a nice pic from the @F1 twitter account) https://twitter.com/...693800372465666

Anyway 3 and a half days until the track action gets underway for the Canadian GP  :clap: (definitely one of my favourite races on the calendar)

Timetable:

FRI    FP1 1000 local (1500 BST)
          FP2 1400 local(1900 BST) 
SAT   FP3 1000 local (1500 BST) 
        Quali 1300 local (1800 BST) 
SUN Race 1400 local (1900 BST)

2014 Race Edit (from the F1 site):
http://youtu.be/KhfMV8gzHXg

Fastest lap times (2014)
FP1 - 1.17.238 (Alonso) 
FP2 - 1.16.118 (Hamilton)
FP3 - 1.15.610 (Hamilton)
Q1 - 1.15.750 (Hamilton) Q2 - 1.15.054 (Hamilton) Q3 - 1.14.874 (Rosberg)
Race: Total time: 1.39.12.830 (Ricciardo) Fastest Lap - 1.18.504 (Massa)

Press Conference Schedule:

Thursday Drivers PC: 11.00 local (16.00 BST)

Lewis Hamilton, Felipe Massa, Daniil Kvyat, Max Verstappen, Sergio Perez and Pastor Maldonado

Friday Teams PC: 16.00 local (21.00 BST)

Paddy Lowe (Mercedes), James Allison (Ferrari), Matt Morris (McLaren), Rob Smedley (Williams), Matthew Carter (Lotus), Graeme Lowdon (Marussia), 

Strategy insight from Pirelli: http://f1pressarea.p...=editoriale2015

•  
    CGZxJUTWoAA6NUv.png

Weather

Early forecast suggest chance of showers on Friday, but Saturday and Sunday dry, with the temperature around 20°C - will this be too cold for the tyres again? (unless its a Mercedes car that is  :p)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6077243
https://www.meteoblu..._canada_6077243

Early Build-up PHOTOS!!!  :clap: https://instagram.co...prixf1ducanada/

A few questions for the weekend:

Will this be the first race weekend where we see some teams spend some tokens to upgrade their engines?

Will McLaren be able to score more points or will a lack of power see them, and the Renault teams, struggling to make the top 10?

Can Williams bounce back to form after a poor weekend in Monaco?

Can anyone stop Mercedes? (because surely they will get the strategy and brakes right for this race).

Who (if anyone) will become the latest victim of the Wall of Champions  :confused:

Look out for the local wildlife - Groundhogs, Red Shouldered Blackbirds* and Safety Cars can all be seen lurking around the circuit.

(*Apologies to those not familiar with the full 4 hour BBC race commentary from 2011 and are not aware of the quality commentating from the BBC during the red flag -" Do birds even have shoulders"  :lol: )

Advertisement

#2 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,728 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:40

Your OP is more than decent enough so don't worry about that :) To answer the questions you posed....

Will this be the first race weekend where we see some teams spend some tokens to upgrade their engines? Yes, both Honda and Ferrari have used some tokens though I think they're actually going to bring those engines to Austria if memory serves (Mercedes are apparently bringing an upgraded engine but haven't used any tokens)

Will McLaren be able to score more points or will a lack of power see them, and the Renault teams, struggling to make the top 10? McLaren's best chance is it being a crazy race with quite a few retirements I think. Renault teams will probably struggle too

Can Williams bounce back to form after a poor weekend in Monaco? Yes, they should at least get a car into Q3 and get some points

Can anyone stop Mercedes? (because surely they will get the strategy and brakes right for this race) Yes, Mercedes can stop Mercedes (as we saw last year). Also a badly timed SC could screw them over potentially, as could getting involved in someone elses accident. Ferrari may have a small chance.

Who (if anyone) will become the latest victim of the Wall of Champions? Probably one (or more) of Maldonado, a Williams (no specific reason) or Mehri (no major reason).

I'd like to add another 2 questions though if I may.

Will we see a crash/retirements at turn 1 on lap 1? I ask as I always say we'll see a crash there, yet for most of the last 10 years it's not actually happened from memory.

How many Safety Cars/VSC will we see? Personally I don't think we'll see any VSC's purely due to the fact it's surrounded by walls and not overly easy to clear cars etc, but I expect we'll see a couple of SC's (I'm always shocked when we don't get a SC at Canada).

Edited by HuddersfieldTerrier1986, 02 June 2015 - 08:42.

#3 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,873 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:47

well, i have seen turn 1 issues the Wurz roll comes to mind which brought out the red flag when turn one was gravel. 

#4 CurbPainter

CurbPainter

• 1,089 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:59

Latest weather forecasts, even no rain on Friday and at the earliest next Tuesday rain, so it will be a dry weekend.

http://www.worldweat.../Quebec/CA.aspx

#5 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:13

Turn 1 is not an issue these days as its just a load of asphalt, so drivers in trouble can go wide *sigh*. When was the last time there was a first corner issue at Montreal?

However, I'm hoping for an exciting race - Canada usually produces the goods, and this season is in dire need of some drama a la Montreal 2014. 

#6 ANF

ANF

• 29,536 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:41

Turn 1 is not an issue these days as its just a load of asphalt, so drivers in trouble can go wide *sigh*. When was the last time there was a first corner issue at Montreal?

However, I'm hoping for an exciting race - Canada usually produces the goods, and this season is in dire need of some drama a la Montreal 2014. 

2010?

#7 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:50

I read somewhere they had moved the barriers at turn 1....

(will have to go and try and find it again)

#8 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:51

I think I'll watch the (edited highlights of the) 2011 Canadian GP - it was a fun race - but if the teams immediately dive into the pits for inters after the safety car leaves the track, the safety car was out too long...

#9 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:55

I read somewhere they had moved the barriers at turn 1....
(will have to go and try and find it again)

Sorry can't edit posts at work :(
It was from the McLaren race preview http://www.mclaren.c...d-prix-preview/

Major changes for 2015
The barriers at Turn One have been pushed back

I presume this is a result of the Massa/Perez accident last year?

#10 CARLO55AINZ

CARLO55AINZ

• 112 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:58

they chopped the tree down?

Edited by CARLO55AINZ, 02 June 2015 - 09:58.

#11 HeidfeldsBeard

HeidfeldsBeard

• 599 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:03

Will this be the first race weekend where we see some teams spend some tokens to upgrade their engines?

Well that's already been answered - I'm not convinced it will make a big difference though.

Will McLaren be able to score more points or will a lack of power see them, and the Renault teams, struggling to make the top 10?

I think the need for power is overestimated on this circuit (Red Bull were still strong last year even if Ricciardo was gifted the win) - traction out of slow corners and mechanical grip is equally important. Given they were better in Monaco it would appear they have the latter so I expect them to be fighting with Toro Rosso, Force India and maybe even giving Lotus/Red Bull a headache.

Can Williams bounce back to form after a poor weekend in Monaco?

They'll be back to their usual no-mans land between Merc/Ferrari and the rest...

Can anyone stop Mercedes? (because surely they will get the strategy and brakes right for this race).

Not on pure pace. Tyres could be a factor...

Who (if anyone) will become the latest victim of the Wall of Champions  :confused:

The wall doesn't discriminate and it's not always the obvious candidates that end up in it... I think Ricciardo is due a mishap.

#12 CurbPainter

CurbPainter

• 1,089 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 13:37

Latest weather forecasts, even no rain on Friday and at the earliest next Tuesday rain, so it will be a dry weekend.

http://www.worldweat.../Quebec/CA.aspx

Montreal weather being unpredictable as it is...they went from Friday and Monday rain to no rain on those days back to rain again...Saturday and Sunday still dry, but when it changes that quickly, it's seems not be a given that also can't still change to rain after all...I will keep an eye on it. :drunk:

#13 Haribo

Haribo

• 866 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 13:50

More infographicness from the BBC:

_83367721_canadian_gp_3.png

Edited by Haribo, 02 June 2015 - 13:59.

#14 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 13:53

OK, let's get the Mercedes drivers out of the way first. Hamilton had his karma upset at Monaco, but he has one very strong thing to lean on, that Canada was his first Formula One win. But strangely enough, a bad weekend could throw everyone into the heated debate of Rosberg versus Hamilton because they are only 10 points apart. Despite Hamilton stomping the beginning of the season, after Canada it is possible (but not probable) that Rosberg could come out leading the points.

Brakes .... this is the track that punishes them the most of all. We all know they have been an issue before.

Ahh, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, from the land of maple syrup, hockey, and poutine. Built on an artificial island just a short subway ride from downtown Montreal, the festive, warm, and party atmosphere makes this place a must-see for anyone wishing for a very good time.

Although I never wish anyone misfortune, this track always bites someone very hard in the ass. The only question is who, and how many.

#15 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 15:58

Ferrari are supposed to bring new PUs with 30 HP more. And where are the new noses that they, McLaren and RBR were supposed to introduce in the first few races?

#16 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 16:03

Looking forward to MVcharging through the field in an underpowered TR!

#17 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 16:04

Thanks for the OP Exb :)

Canada is my favourite track of the season and the one I look forward to the most. :D
Hopefully it will be a thriller. :up:

Will this be the first race weekend where we see some teams spend some tokens to upgrade their engines? According to Autosport yes

Will McLaren be able to score more points or will a lack of power see them, and the Renault teams, struggling to make the top 10? I sadly doubt they will. :(

Can Williams bounce back to form after a poor weekend in Monaco? I would suspect they would be better as the track suits them more.

Can anyone stop Mercedes? (because surely they will get the strategy and brakes right for this race). Ferrari best but even then it's unlikely. You never know though last year was a surprise

Who (if anyone) will become the latest victim of the Wall of Champions Kimi maybe. Or both of the Mercedes and then there will be fisticuffs afterwards :lol:

#18 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 16:10

Lewis :up:

#19 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 16:19

Lewis :up:

I said the same thing with 20 laps of Monaco to go :D

Advertisement

#20 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 16:22

Williams will bring big update package to montreal, so they should be strong. If Ferrari will use the updated PU (+20 to 30hp more), engineers at Maranello has calculated it should make the car 0,8 seconds/lap faster! Mercedes will be strong no doubt and favourites but hopefully others can challenge them.
Too bad the weather will be quite cold (compared to usual montreal races) so tyres will (like at monaco) be very difficult to get working well.

Edited by Vesuvius, 02 June 2015 - 16:24.

#21 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 16:23

Ferrari are supposed to bring new PUs with 30 HP more. And where are the new noses that they, McLaren and RBR were supposed to introduce in the first few races?

red bull introduced theirs in barcelona, I don't know about mclaren, but for ferrari I seem to recall that it isn't a priority.

#22 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 17:40

Looking forward to MVcharging through the field in an underpowered TR!

After reading about Ferrari's reported 30 HP increase, I'm guessing TR wish they never made the switch.

#23 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 17:42

Williams will bring big update package to montreal, so they should be strong. If Ferrari will use the updated PU (+20 to 30hp more), engineers at Maranello has calculated it should make the car 0,8 seconds/lap faster! Mercedes will be strong no doubt and favourites but hopefully others can challenge them.
Too bad the weather will be quite cold (compared to usual montreal races) so tyres will (like at monaco) be very difficult to get working well.

They're replacing Massa?????

#24 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 17:46

Montreal is one of my fav races of the year, only partially because I am Canadian (living in the USA). It is the scene of Lewis Hamiltons first win (a brilliant weekend) and his greatest fail. For those like an unpredictable race, this one is about as predictable as the Montreal weather. A great city, and a great race to attend.

#25 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 17:58

red bull introduced theirs in barcelona, I don't know about mclaren, but for ferrari I seem to recall that it isn't a priority.

Checked some pics of the RB, wasn't able to tell a before and after. It may not be a priority for McLaren and Ferrari but it is for our poor eyes  ;)

#26 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 18:29

Maybe the race I'm looking forward the most. Nicely in the Sunday evening on a track that usually provides entertaining races, hoping for another one this year.

#27 CurbPainter

CurbPainter

• 1,089 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 20:37

The weather forecasts have changed again...

- Yesterday patchy rain nearby on Friday and Monday, and Saturday and Sunday sunny

- This morning Sunny Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday

- This afternoon back to patchy rain nearby on Friday and Monday, and Saturday and Sunday sunny

- Now, light rain Friday, Saturday Sunny, Sunday partly cloudy and Monday heavy rain

...so it still could be it will change in a rain race when it changes that quickly and they forecast partly cloudy on Sunday all of sudden. :rolleyes:

#28 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 21:00

One of the best tracks and usually produces a good race. 

I'd probably go for a Hamilton win if I were a betting man but have a feeling that something unexpected might happen at the front. 

#29 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 21:01

Montreal is one of my fav races of the year, only partially because I am Canadian (living in the USA). It is the scene of Lewis Hamiltons first win (a brilliant weekend) and his greatest fail. For those like an unpredictable race, this one is about as predictable as the Montreal weather. A great city, and a great race to attend.

Surely China or Brazil 2007 would be considered his greatest fail? 

#30 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 21:10

One of the best tracks and usually produces a good race.

I'd probably go for a Hamilton win if I were a betting man but have a feeling that something unexpected might happen at the front.

I'm quite sure that at least one of the Merc won't finish the race.....

Edited by Marklar, 02 June 2015 - 21:34.

#31 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 21:13

0,8 seconds!? If it's true than it's gonna be interesting......

#32 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,683 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 21:28

If Ferrari can turn on the super softs and their engine upgrade cones to fruition, surely we have a legitimate race on our hands.

#33 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 21:36

If Ferrari can turn on the super softs and their engine upgrade cones to fruition, surely we have a legitimate race on our hands.

I'm sure people have been talking up the 'Ferrari threat' all season, and they've still only won one race. :p

It'll be a Mercedes win, anyway.

#34 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 21:56

What is the word on the Honda engine upgrades?

#35 Jvr

Jvr

• 7,598 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 22:00

A new turbo with two tokens' worth of upgrades. Probably more with Sw and possibly reliability upgrades.

#36 CurbPainter

CurbPainter

• 1,089 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 22:14

I read 10BHP, so I wouldn't expect too much of it when they were 100BHP still down on Mercedes according to Honda themselves.

#37 Paincake

Paincake

• 1,068 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 22:55

I think this time Rosberg may have the psychological edge and will be very motivated because he is only 10 points off, and will likely aim for his third win. Go Nico Luckyberg.  :p

#38 CurbPainter

CurbPainter

• 1,089 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 23:12

I think this time Rosberg may have the psychological edge and will be very motivated because he is only 10 points off, and will likely aim for his third win. Go Nico Luckyberg.  :p

I thought Lewis was rebounding nicely after Barcelona...great drivers should be able to shrug these kinds of things off.

It seems the best drivers most of the time don't have the luck on their side, it makes it also more interesting to watch...a good opportunity for Lewis again to show what he's worth. 

#39 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 23:17

I dunno, running into the back of Kimi stopped at the end of the pits ......... Kimi pointing to the red light says it all.

Advertisement

#40 Laura23

Laura23

• 825 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 23:36

Perhaps but Mercedes haven't been standing still. They'll likely have some shiny ungraded engines to use as well and lest we forget they have had better power unit usage than Ferrari thus far. The race is still very much Mercedes AMG's to lose.

#41 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 3,849 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 00:22

I said the same thing with 20 laps of Monaco to go :D

Always a Lewis supporter for me!

#42 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 5,002 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:42

After the last race I'm gonna cringe for Merc anytime there's a safetycar.

#43 joaoheitor

joaoheitor

• 93 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:47

I think this time Rosberg may have the psychological edge and will be very motivated because he is only 10 points off, and will likely aim for his third win. Go Nico Luckyberg. :p

Curiously, very often, after a big disappointment, Lewis seems to bounce back stronger.

It's a pattern.

#44 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,453 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:53

That's a testament to the avoidable nature of those disappointments more than anything.

#45 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:04

I dunno, running into the back of Kimi stopped at the end of the pits ......... Kimi pointing to the red light says it all.

Ah yes, fair dues.

I actually thought you were perhaps meaning 2011 in your initial post.

#46 viceroy1

viceroy1

• 125 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:05

China, sure, Brazil, No. I'm so tired of people thinking Brazil 07 was in any way Lewis' fault. The onboard from then shows VERY clearly that the gearbox went into neutral on its own. It's only after it malfunctioned that Lewis started pressing buttons.

https://youtu.be/9mMEQm46loE

This weekend should be a good race. Im eager to see if Ferrari closed the gap somewhat with an upgraded engine. The closer they get to Merc, the better the season will be.

#47 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,261 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 13:41

Shake 'n Bake.

CGk2JNkUgAEb129.jpg

Jp

#48 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 13:48

Maybe the race I'm looking forward the most. Nicely in the Sunday evening on a track that usually provides entertaining races, hoping for another one this year.

The only entertaining races here are the wet ones, so start praying to the rain Gods.

Seriously, F1 should consider water sprinklers :smoking:

#49 shonguiz

shonguiz

• 3,714 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 14:46

For those who go there often, what is the best sport there if you take the general admission ?

#50 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 15:06

Ah yes, fair dues.

I actually thought you were perhaps meaning 2011 in your initial post.

Okay, that explains it.  Although I have never really blamed Lewis for that one, it did ruin his day. You are considering the consequences, where I was considering only the gaff.

Edited by HeadFirst, 03 June 2015 - 15:12.