#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,786 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 22:58

"In IndyCar, no one makes money. It's just great, pure racing."

-- Sebastien Bourdais, or Afterburner, I don't know anymore

rs17.jpg

Verizon Indycar Series Round 9 of 16: Rain-free Super-fast Firestone Whatever 600, Fort Worth, TX

248 laps, 24 degrees of banking, four-ish turns and none of that bourgeois daylight to ruin things. Indycar's ramblin' gamblin' hole-in-the-wall gang of rampaging thirtysomethings is rolling into town. Are floodlights, high-speed tyre saving and Ed Carpenter your thing? Do you like Saturday? Are you hoping to watch a race like one you sort of remember from 2012 and not the ones you definitely don't remember from 2013 and 2014? Are you the kind of person who posts your observations on internet forums having plagiarized them directly from Scott Goodyear? You sick bastard.

We're a broad church here and judgement is reserved for God alone. So please stop by and loosen the strings of your brain-purse on this thread, spanning the first stop of Indycar's overseas leg in Texas and Toronto. Would ye know yet more?

83cf655c-02ef-4a17-b097-b94612e265f3news

Remember this? He didn't win.

Whats and whens
These are Texas time. Add 6 if you're in the UK.

Thursday, June 4
Thursday is trucks day. It does not concern you. Does it?

Friday, June 5
11.00-12.15: Indycar practice 1
15.15-16.15: Indycar qualifying (already! I know!)
18.45-19.15: This is all you're getting that even approaches night-time Indycar practice
20.00: Truck racing! Move along please.

Saturday, June 6
SATURDAY IS RACE DAY.
17.30: "Pre-race concert featuring Reckless Kelly"
17.45: "Gee, Reckless Kelly is the best acid bluegrass fiddle trio I've ever heard!"
19.20: If we're lucky, we'll find out what aero spec they're running around now
19.30: 248 laps of racing! Green flag!

285fe1d34f3c79144cb6251768f51444.jpeg

Brought to you by Chaos and Old Night

A turn for the Wirth
What do you remember from the last week-and-a-half? Rain? Pace cars? Something about Juan Montoya? I can't remember much. If we're being honest, I'm suffering from the kind of race fatigue that can only be remedied by a sensible two-or-three week gap in the schedule to take stock and replenish my enthusiasm.

Well screw that. Like a shuttlebus of dog executives returning to a vomit conference, we're plunging straight back into Indycar to see if we can extract some order, or at any rate sustenance, from this steaming pile of entropy.

Unpredictable weather running the full gamut from warm and rainy to cold and rainy saw a race that many outlets, including the Heseltine Mothership, described as "wild". If the weekend had been any "wilder" it would've hopped back into the Detroit River and made for the open  sea. Every driver you've ever heard of seemed to crash, or get on the wrong tyres and then crash, or get on the right tyres and crash, or punt the champion into his teammate and then drive on to finish fourth in their first road race for over a year as the points leader ran out of fuel. And then two green cars won the races. To put that into perspective, a car painted green hasn't won in Formula One for two decades, and even then it had to run with an illegal fuel rig.

IndyCar%20Detroit%20Auto%20Racing-1.jpg?

I sometimes think that racing fans -- the obsessive kind, anyway -- are like auditors, possibly at the accountancy firm in hell. Punctiliously following the ins and outs, formbooks and strategies, in order to put a rubber stamp on the final result as accurately reflecting the thereins. If the Belle Isle weekend had been a set of accounts, you'd expect to see the name "Sepp Blatter" signed at the bottom. The Computational Fluid Debacle that is Honda dominated. Sato scored his first podium in over two years. DRACONE, well, he didn't show up.

Championship leader and halfway-point overwhelming favourite Juan Montoya had a disaster of a weekend, with two tenth places. In the kind of stroke of luck that tends to befall overwhelming favourites, his rivals either did worse or not noticeably better.

Belle of Belle Isle Mini Championship
Montoya: 43 pts
Power: 47 pts
Dixon: 41 pts
Rahal: 42 pts
Castroneves: 39 pts

If you're interested, Belle of Belle Isle was, with a 2nd and a 5th, Marco Andretti. And may God forgive us.

628x471.jpg

Sebastien Bourdais (also pictured far left, caution number 800)

8 to go
May God also forgive me for mentioning the points table. The season is half done, and with the double points finale at Sonoma balancing out the double points Indy 500, the points table is half filled-in too. Coming off the last few seasons it's strange to say we actually have a halfway favourite, and not the usual state of affairs with 108 suitors and no Ulysses. As you might have guessed if you'd considered the 1999 and 2000 seasons and then not overthought things, it's Juan Montoya. Will Power and Scott Dixon are within a win and a win-and-a-half of Juan respectively, and perma-flash-in-the-pan Graham Rahal is, er, flashing at their heels.

Preseason hot tip Simon Pagenaud is stealthily hanging back in ninth, perhaps wondering where it all went. Ryan Briscoe, a former Penske driver who It did get away from, is temporarily back in, subbing for James Hinchcliffe at Schmidt Peterson. Which, Honda aero aside, is a decent ride. Motor racing can be cruel but also insanely generous, like the Millionaire in City Lights. You miss your one shot, then after a decade the target comes around again and you're driving a Penske in the Indy 500. Repeat.

Edited by Risil, 02 June 2015 - 23:32.

Advertisement

#2 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,252 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 00:27

Whats and whens

These are Texas time. Add 6 if you're in the UK.

OR... :drunk: :drunk:

img_2293.jpg

Jp

#3 paulb

paulb

• 11,260 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 00:59

img_2293.jpg

Jp

You must be on a bender sir, to give your nemesis such a grand stage! :up:

#4 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,233 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:14

Excellent OP as always, Riz. :rotfl:

May God also forgive me for mentioning the points table. The season is half done, and with the double points finale at Sonoma balancing out the double points Indy 500, the points table is half filled-in too. Coming off the last few seasons it's strange to say we actually have a halfway favourite, and not the usual state of affairs with 108 suitors and no Ulysses.

A Frasierian metaphor if there ever were one. Well done. :lol: :up:

#5 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:50

Texas Sat, Canada Sun,

All American racing overload!

#6 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:35

Unlike many F1 fans I like ovals, just not this one. Or Vegas. :|

#7 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:10

Let's hope the race isn't a total snoozefest this time.

#8 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:55

This starts...00:30 Sunday in the UK I think...

Rock on.

#9 Peat

Peat

• 8,865 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:57

http://www.racer.com...its-implemented

Mandatory (untested) aerokit changes ahoy. God bless'em.

There's not alot of tracktime before the race to observe the effects. Sounds as though they'll be adding downforce and lots of drag, hopefully it won't encourage pack-racing. 

Edited by Peat, 03 June 2015 - 07:00.

#10 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,873 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:53

we got three people extra, Pippa Mann will race in 18, Briscoe playing sub for car 5 and Vautier stays in 19.

#11 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,543 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:53

The problem is as these cars approach CART Champcar performance they're going to start having the issues had in 2001 at this place. They'll have to be very tightly reigned in

#12 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,252 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:04

You must be on a bender sir, to give your nemesis such a grand stage! :up:

He's been MustSeeTV for the last three races. Also, to be seen to be civil I have to feint compassion here in the homeland.

NOW:

Attention: I will be relying on YOU LOT to PM me the door key to the Nigerian Embassy on Sat night. It's right over the road !!! http://www.nigeriaem...nigeria_j/index

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 04 June 2015 - 01:17.

#13 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:23

The problem is as these cars approach CART Champcar performance they're going to start having the issues had in 2001 at this place. They'll have to be very tightly reigned in

If I remember right the cars were averaging 245mph+ when the drivers started having their red outs back then. What are the average speeds we're expecting this weekend?

Edited by Imateria, 03 June 2015 - 11:23.

#14 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,786 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:22

http://www.racer.com...its-implemented

Mandatory (untested) aerokit changes ahoy. God bless'em.

There's not alot of tracktime before the race to observe the effects. Sounds as though they'll be adding downforce and lots of drag, hopefully it won't encourage pack-racing. 

The rear wing angles back in 2012 were between -5 degrees and -10.5 degrees, so my untechnical eye says we're still broadly in line with that. Given that the superspeedway kits seemed to move the cars towards less downforce and more drag generally, I'm not sure we'll see much difference in the pack/no-pack balance. I hope not, anyway.

Trying to do all this with less than two hours of on-track testing, none of which is at the time of day they'll be racing, is obviously no good at all. Another reason why you don't schedule a race every week.

#15 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,786 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:24

Let's hope the race isn't a total snoozefest this time.

Last two events were pretty much determined by tyre wear and degradation, so we might see some interest from the different characteristics of the aero kit cars. And obviously there's no telling what the Firestones will do till the race.

#16 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:38

Great OP risil! :D

The re run of the race is on the Sunday 13:30 on ESPN for people who are unable to watch the race live in the UK. :)

Edited by Sheepmachine, 03 June 2015 - 12:38.

#17 StraightEdge

StraightEdge

• 1,226 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 13:10

What's with Mann racing ovals only?

#18 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 13:19

What's with Mann racing ovals only?

Ed Carpenter syndrome.

#19 StraightEdge

StraightEdge

• 1,226 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 13:29

Ed Carpenter syndrome.

Except she's not even a good on it

Advertisement

#20 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 13:31

Don't you just hate it when drivers get's ECS. 

Equally bad is it when drivers get Mike Conway syndrome. 

You definetely don't want the combination of ECS and MCS. 

#21 kevinracefan

kevinracefan

• 2,729 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 13:37

the Juan Pablo Montoya Benefit Race

#22 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,116 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 13:41

Don't you just hate it when drivers get's ECS. 

Equally bad is it when drivers get Mike Conway syndrome. 

You definetely don't want the combination of ECS and MCS. 

ECS+MCS= Dracone.  Except nobody was stupid enough to let him on to an oval in the first place, thank dog. :wave:

#23 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 14:11

anyone seen an image or drawing yet of the new no flight flaps concocted by the joint efforts of Chevy/Honda? Not that I want to see anyone try flying with them, but I'd like to see  what they are and if they will work. 

#24 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 14:20

I think this race will be passed my bedtime, but I have to stay up and watch it!

#25 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 14:27

Every driver you've ever heard of seemed to crash, or get on the wrong tyres and then crash, or get on the right tyres and crash, or punt the champion into his teammate and then drive on to finish fourth in their first road race for over a year as the points leader ran out of fuel. And then two green cars won the races. To put that into perspective, a car painted green hasn't won in Formula One for two decades, and even then it had to run with an illegal fuel rig.

:lol:

Great OP, Risil.

Given the time this one is on, I probably won't catch all of it, unfortunately. I'll watch as many laps as I can before I get to the stage of not being able to tell whether what is happening is some weird dream, or actually real. Which, being IndyCar, probably won't take too long.

Edited by JHSingo, 03 June 2015 - 14:30.

#26 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 14:34

ECS+MCS= Dracone.  Except nobody was stupid enough to let him on to an oval in the first place, thank dog. :wave:

Dracone should have his very own syndrome to be honest but that is probably what it would consist of. 

#27 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 14:56

Great OP risil! :D

The re run of the race is on the Sunday 13:30 on ESPN for people who are unable to watch the race live in the UK. :)

Also repeated on Monday at 9AM, which is the one I'll be aiming for as the GF will be at work... Now to avoid Autosport for a whole day!

#28 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 16:24

If I remember right the cars were averaging 245mph+ when the drivers started having their red outs back then. What are the average speeds we're expecting this weekend?

The 2001 CART race had a pole speed of 233mph, pole position in the last year or two has been about 220. The 1998 IRL pole speed was 224.5mph.

#29 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 17:16

img_2293.jpg

Jp

Sato and pens, with Will Power leading the race, this can't possibly end well...

#30 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,543 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 17:18

Indycar should go back to Japan now that Sato is doing pretty well.

#31 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 17:26

Read the first 1/3rd of the OP inside my head in my own voice. Laughed. Read the second in Clive Owen's voice. Nearly pissed myself. Read the last few line's in Rizzo's voice... well, we'll see how I feel about that when I wake up.

#32 kevinracefan

kevinracefan

• 2,729 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 19:12

I think this race will be passed my bedtime, but I have to stay up and watch it!

Texas is definitely among the most exciting races..

also takes the biggest attachments to succeed...

#33 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,786 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 19:41

It's empty both barrels time over at Racer.com

Make sure you read Bryan Herta's comments on the last page!

"In theory I like the idea of technical innovation; it's a crucial element to have in IndyCar, but I think what we have right now is spec racing masquerading as competition," Herta declared. "Yeah, there's technical innovation and competition between Honda and Chevy, but the problem is, none of it is in my hands. As a team, the rules say we can't help ourselves even if we have ideas and want to try things.

"There's no scope whatsoever for us to try and fix what's wrong, and to me, that is the flaw in the system right now. We were given an aero kit package which, currently, is less competitive, and then we're told, tough, that's what you've got. I think it's truly taken the teams out of the equation, and we're helpless to improve what we've got."

To quote the Reverend Lovejoy, "and it goes on like this."

Edited by Risil, 03 June 2015 - 20:00.

#34 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 20:02

One to record and watch before the BTCC starts or watch during that gap when BTCC get replaced by tennis.

#35 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 22:20

The 2001 CART race had a pole speed of 233mph, pole position in the last year or two has been about 220. The 1998 IRL pole speed was 224.5mph.

Thanks. Having checked for myself I see the fastest times from a morning practice session were 236's, so it seems that getting up to and beyond 230 at Texas may not be such a good idea, though it'll depend on how much g force the cars generate.

#36 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,233 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 22:25

FOUND - video summary of Detroit Race 2:

#37 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 22:41

Uh, Bryan, call Ron Dennis and see how he's doing with Honda this year. Then get back to me...

If the shoe was on the other foot, Bryan et all would be giggling like loons while heading to the bank.

Cry me a river....

:cry:

#38 MattPete

MattPete

• 2,633 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:04

The truth of the matter is that Chevy has the best teams and drivers.  If Ganassi was running Hondas, then we might have a fair comparison.

Having said that, I've never been a fan of "freezes".  In effect, a freeze means that if you get it wrong, you're screwed for the entire year.  Perhaps it would make more sense to allow mid-year updates.

#39 SKL

SKL

• 1,414 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:22

Dracone must be channeling Dennis Vitoli (sp?) from many years back-  he even managed to crash on the pit entry with Nige!

Advertisement

#40 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:20

The truth of the matter is that Chevy has the best teams and drivers.  If Ganassi was running Hondas, then we might have a fair comparison.

Having said that, I've never been a fan of "freezes".  In effect, a freeze means that if you get it wrong, you're screwed for the entire year.  Perhaps it would make more sense to allow mid-year updates.

Well Ganassi switched because they thought Honda wasn't good enough. The teams moaned about costs and the manufacturers agreed to a development freeze. Indycar could use rule 9.3 to allow development mid-season, but I don't think the gap is as huge as some imply. Graham Rahal isn't having any trouble being competitive in a Honda car.

#41 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,786 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:28

Well Ganassi switched because they thought Honda wasn't good enough. The teams moaned about costs and the manufacturers agreed to a development freeze. Indycar could use rule 9.3 to allow development mid-season, but I don't think the gap is as huge as some imply. Graham Rahal isn't having any trouble being competitive in a Honda car.

I suspect that in the million-and-one combinations of setup and aero adjustment, the Rahal team has found something that lets them exploit the Firestones, although they've hardly got one-lap pace figured out (Graham hasn't made the Fast Six this year). Obviously it's not incumbent for Rahal to share trade secrets with his competitors, but if you want a solution...

I'm worried for a team like Schmidt-Peterson though. They've got the talent and organization to win in Indycar, they've worked hard to bring new sponsors to the series, and now they're stuck in the midfield knowing there's nothing they can do to get them out of it.

Also, has anyone noticed how openly and personally senior paddock people are slagging off Wirth Research? "Yeah, we knew the aero would be bad because it came out of his shop?" "What's he ever achieved anyway?" "Dude designed a fuel tank too small in F1." Don't think I've ever seen moaning like it before.

#42 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 15:25

I suspect that in the million-and-one combinations of setup and aero adjustment, the Rahal team has found something that lets them exploit the Firestones, although they've hardly got one-lap pace figured out (Graham hasn't made the Fast Six this year). Obviously it's not incumbent for Rahal to share trade secrets with his competitors, but if you want a solution...

I'm worried for a team like Schmidt-Peterson though. They've got the talent and organization to win in Indycar, they've worked hard to bring new sponsors to the series, and now they're stuck in the midfield knowing there's nothing they can do to get them out of it.

Also, has anyone noticed how openly and personally senior paddock people are slagging off Wirth Research? "Yeah, we knew the aero would be bad because it came out of his shop?" "What's he ever achieved anyway?" "Dude designed a fuel tank too small in F1." Don't think I've ever seen moaning like it before.

SPM have a worse driver lineup (even with Briscoe there), Simon Pagenaud's knowledge would have been invaluable for working on the new aero.

The teams need to quit whining and realise a better car costs more money. If they all asked Indycar to let them modify the aero pieces (whether Honda or Chevy), that would make a difference, unlike slagging off Wirth.

#43 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,284 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 18:23

^ Indeed; Pagenaud's rubbish luck so far this year is masking what he can (and likely already has) brought to Penske, and I'd say it's very likely he would have continued to keep Schmidt Peterson in the top 10 had he continued there.

Edited by Muppetmad, 04 June 2015 - 18:23.

#44 prommer

prommer

• 4,966 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 20:00

Right then, for anyone who doesn't like ovals, you can sit out this week and drive an Indycar through your own crap town.

https://fastestseat.honda.com/

I tried my address.  Unfortunately they routed me through an apartment complex that has a gatehouse, so it's a little unnerving to blow through a lowered gate at 193mph every lap.

#45 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,543 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 20:08

Right then, for anyone who doesn't like ovals, you can sit out this week and drive an Indycar through your own crap town.

I tried my address.  Unfortunately they routed me through an apartment complex that has a gatehouse, so it's a little unnerving to blow through a lowered gate at 193mph every lap.

That's nothing, mine took me across a chain ferry.

#46 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,252 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 22:25

FLAPS DOWN..

CGr4AIiUcAAFd7w.jpg

Jp

#47 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,786 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 22:30

That's a fine bit of duct-taping, chief

#48 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,252 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 23:08

Not now 99...

I'm on the phone.

get_smart-tv.jpg

Jp

#49 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:55

Stupid question:  is there a time limit on oval races in Indycar?

#50 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:06

Seems like there's so much potential there but the execution is a bit off.