- - - - -

Attention all those who watch motorsport on the BT and ESPN channels

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 22:56

Unless you have BT TV, from August you will be charged for it at £5 per month + £4 per month for HD.

You will be automatically signed up to this package, too, with a 30-day grace period in which you will not be charged if you cancel.

https://community.bt...16/td-p/1492621

Edited by Doughnut King, 11 June 2015 - 23:15.

Advertisement

#2 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 23:21

I watch MotoGP via BT Sport online , it was part of my broadband package (not a TV service), so I don't think there well be any changes for me fortunately.

EDIT:

Just reread (was tired in my initial response, well that's my excuse :)) and the changes will have an impact on me.  I'll be cancelling BT Sport.

Edited by OO7, 12 June 2015 - 11:49.

#3 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 06:39

A grand mess up by all accounts

I have BT Infinity and opted for BT Sport to be added to my Sky package, so wonder if I can now instead opt to receive it online and then just use 'screen mirror' to watch it on the smart tv.

Yesterday's email from BT handily doesn't state if this is an option.

Edited by Imperial, 12 June 2015 - 06:40.

#4 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 06:43

I get BT sport and ESPN via my Virgin Media TV package and haven't been informed of any price rise so it may or may not affect me.

#5 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 08:15

From what I can gather, come the first of August, the only channels we'll get for free is BT Sport 1 and Extra.

If you want to continue getting them all for free, you've got to get BT TV (there is a free no monthly cost option, activation fee of £35). If you are watching through Sky, Virgin, Online App/Website etc, it'll be £5 and £4 extra for HD!!!!!

I'm going to cancel/just get BT Sport 1 for free at the end of August and worry about it whenever the Indycar season starts next year.

Edited by stewie, 12 June 2015 - 08:16.

#6 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:29

Hehehe

Can't last for ever can it guys.

They have just forked out over a billion for even more football, so they have to pay for it somehow.

I already know people who have dropped BT because of their poor broadband service in rural areas and they cannot justify then paying for more channels when the service they offer is simply not good enough.

Let's hope the viewing figures there for GP drop like a stone and it goes back to a FTA channel, though I am not holding out my breath. Dorna are masters of getting more for less.

Edited by chunder27, 12 June 2015 - 09:30.

#7 Peat

Peat

• 8,867 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:50

I'm a big advocate of paying for content, but if BT ask me for another penny a month, I'm off. If only I liked football, then it might have some sort of value.

#8 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:44

Is this because of the Champions League coverage?

#9 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:47

Basically, yes. They paid £900m (well over odds) and it's gotta be paid for somehow.

#10 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,869 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:52

I'm a big advocate of paying for content, but if BT ask me for another penny a month, I'm off. If only I liked football, then it might have some sort of value.

When I cancelled last year they told me they had the IndyCar rights for 2015 and 2016. But they weren't promising anything beyond that.

#11 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:16

Basically, yes. They paid £900m (well over odds) and it's gotta be paid for somehow.

Great. Sky have also upped their prices this month.

Thanks

#12 pdac

pdac

• 17,293 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:04

Kind of. Sky managed to corner the market a few years back. BT are trying to muscle in and push Sky out. The plan is for BT to grab all of the coverage and leave Sky with nothing to offer. Then all of those people that are paying big money to Sky will move that big money to BT.

#13 pdac

pdac

• 17,293 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:06

Great. Sky have also upped their prices this month.

Thanks

Yes, I notice that they justified the rise to me by listing all of their offerings that I either don't have to don't use.

#14 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:11

Yes, I notice that they justified the rise to me by listing all of their offerings that I either don't have to don't use.

Yep, nothing to do with the obscene contract they just agreed with the EPL...

#15 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:29

I was a BT Broadband customer before BT Sport was launched. They jacked up the prices for the package I was on a few months before launching the "free" sports channels and, although I considered staying with them and checking out the new channels, their insistence on going out of their way to prevent subscribers streaming the channels to a Linux computer (by using the propriatary Silverlight encoding, and then aggressively going after anyone who tries to provide Linux support for it) deterred me. So I moved my broadband to a more reasonably priced alternative provider.

If I wasn't buying when it was "free" with an over-priced broadband package, I certainly wouldn't be interested if there was an additional supplement on top. I think they might be being a tad optimistic, here.

From a motorsport fan's perspective, it's the typical problem with subscription TV. The broadcaster pays through the nose for the rights to a load of premium content that, as motorsport fans, we may or may not be interested in (e.g. all the Champions League games), and then they need to recoup their increased outlay from all of their subscribers. I don't watch that much televised sport, and a lot of what I do want watch doesn't pull in big rights money from broadcasters, and until I'm allowed to pay a sensible, realistic amount to access just the few bits of premium content that I actually wish to view, I will not be interested in any pay TV offering.

#16 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,453 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:41

Just another day en route to television's inevitable death. Surely it's only a matter of time before the first broadcaster who pays through the nose for sports broadcasting rights is left with an impossible bill to pay.

#17 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,794 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:50

Buy an android smart tv box, 'most sports channels' are viewable in stream form if you have decent internet speed.

#18 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,261 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 13:49

Just another day en route to television's inevitable death.

Well then, just in time for Summer.. Nigerian Streaming Club has actually REDUCED  :eek:  its prices for those woebegone slaves to sports television. The new all inclusive fee is ¥62000.00 and that's a 20% savings off its usual price. :up:

Get in !!

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 12 June 2015 - 14:36.

#19 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,104 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 14:09

Enjoyed it while I could. Shame everything seems to be based around football. Will probably send a few angry emails based around that point and others. See what happens. Probably get nowhere and investigate other options. 

Advertisement

#20 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,306 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 14:11

**** you, BT. **** you. That'll be me watching MotoGP and Indycar through the Nigerian streaming club's competitive service, then...

#21 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 14:37

Got the letter yesterday. Won't be paying the extra £5 a month on top of the current Sky package.

Shame I was really enjoying MotoGP and Indycar this year much more than F1.

#22 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 14:42

Just another day en route to television's inevitable death. Surely it's only a matter of time before the first broadcaster who pays through the nose for sports broadcasting rights is left with an impossible bill to pay.

Already had the first in 2009, Setanta GB.

#23 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 14:45

Got the letter yesterday. Won't be paying the extra £5 a month on top of the current Sky package.

Shame I was really enjoying MotoGP and Indycar this year much more than F1.

It is worth referring back to the OP.

We can still see out the season and cancel without paying.

#24 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 15:01

It does pave the way for the ESPN Player subscription service to become more widely available.

#25 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 15:03

I'll pay it because I'm a football fan as well but it's a pain considering a few weeks ago the Sky / BT broadband package I managed to get looked great and now looks 'meh'

It's more the Sky price hike which I am resenting.

#26 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 15:26

Already had the first in 2009, Setanta GB.

ITV Digital went bust well over a decade ago.

And it's the commercial rights holders that need to be careful - the broadcasting company can go bust and the people who backed it and ran it can walk away leaving the debt behind, but if the contractual payments don't materialise and the sport had counted its chickens (as the English Football League and its member clubs did in the ITV Digital case), it can cause enormous problems.

F1's commercial rights holder has counted, cashed in and leveraged about the next 20 generations of as-yet unhatched chickens.

Edited by redreni, 12 June 2015 - 15:29.

#27 pdac

pdac

• 17,293 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 17:26

And it's the commercial rights holders that need to be careful - the broadcasting company can go bust and the people who backed it and ran it can walk away leaving the debt behind, but if the contractual payments don't materialise and the sport had counted its chickens (as the English Football League and its member clubs did in the ITV Digital case), it can cause enormous problems.

F1's commercial rights holder has counted, cashed in and leveraged about the next 20 generations of as-yet unhatched chickens.

I thought ITV Digital went bust because their encryption system was cracked (which was rumoured to be by Sky) and there were so many non-pukka access cards available that no one subscribed.

#28 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,554 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 18:01

I thought ITV Digital went bust because their encryption system was cracked (which was rumoured to be by Sky) and there were so many non-pukka access cards available that no one subscribed.

Sky cracking their encryption (allegedly) certainly didn't help, but they were running steady until they signed that ridiculously expensive Football League deal.

#29 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 18:49

It is a fairly simple idea this.

What you have are companies pushing the envelope with their customers in a desperate, pathetic attempt to make money, that's all.

All you have to do is dump the parts of the package you do not need and go Nigerian or torrent after the event.  Yes it might mean you have to click the screen now and then and find the best versions for you, but it's free, the sites you are using are making money without you giving them any and when one closes, another opens up again just as quickly and lasts for a few months before the BT and SKY funded teams cracking down on them get caught.

It's like events tickets, if you perenially keep handing over your dough, do not expect to change anything.

Or if you are quite happy lining the pockets of an already rich company so some CEO can make millions in bonuses from taking away SKY's market share, or vice versa, then fair enough, have no soul and never complain about what you are paying because it will rise inexorably and never stop rising, like petrol, tv is a commodity after all.

#30 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,869 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 21:12

Well then, just in time for Summer.. Nigerian Streaming Club has actually REDUCED  :eek:  its prices for those woebegone slaves to sports television. The new all inclusive fee is ¥62000.00 and that's a 20% savings off its usual price. :up:

Get in !!

Jp

How much is that in Zimbabwean dollars? Will this cover it?

Zimbabwe__100_tril_3338961b.jpg

#31 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,261 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 01:02

I'm afraid you're short a few hundred million. We'll hold your payment as partial and await the balance...thank you for your custom.

Edited by jonpollak, 13 June 2015 - 01:02.

#32 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 06:50

I dont even remember what 'ITV digital. was-ITV has at least 6 channels all on my Sky digital box! Already pay Sky £61 per month & BT £13.50 in order to get Indycar.Think I need to discover how to dump the movie channels :cry:

#33 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,261 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 08:16

_1923211_itv_digital_testcard300.jpg

#34 george1981

george1981

• 1,366 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 08:30

I saw the email BT sent in my junk mail and opted out. I think it's very sneaky, I didn't want BT sport in the first place it came free with out BT fibre.

I don't like how big companies automatically opt you in for paid for services when given a proper choice a lot of people would say no.

#35 pdac

pdac

• 17,293 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 14:05

I saw the email BT sent in my junk mail and opted out. I think it's very sneaky, I didn't want BT sport in the first place it came free with out BT fibre.

I don't like how big companies automatically opt you in for paid for services when given a proper choice a lot of people would say no.

That's why companies want you to pay by direct debit (where they just dip into your pocket) rather than standing order (where you are in charge of the payment)

#36 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 20:55

I subscribe to MotoGP online directly, cost a few bob to sign up but the pause and rewind and watch on demand facilities are priceless. It is the main thing I look for on a channel since I spend most Sundays at a circuit and nothing worse than having to wait for a midweek highlight showing.

#37 jestaudio

jestaudio

• 2,059 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:13

No danger of ever getting BT sport unless its through Virgin in my neck of the woods, the lines are not capable of running high speed internet despite being on the edge of Birmingham and they have no plans to upgrade for the next 10 or so years, smart box appears to be the way to go

#38 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 4,259 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:50

That did happen, look up OnDigital.