Pat Sheridan 1966/68 crash Mallory Park

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ozzy77

ozzy77

• 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 18:43

HI,

I came across this forum whilst looking for info relating to a sidecar crash at mallory park, Pat sheridan was driving and my father was in the sidecar. Unfortunately I have very little info to go on as my father's memory of the accident is hazy to say the least, he suffered massive head injuries in the accident and was in a coma for 3 weeks following the crash, he had to re- learn how to walk/talk/speak ect.

As he has got older the injuries he sustained have impaired his memory and in the nicest possible sense his mental ability.

He does remember that the crash was in some local papers, he seems to think it was between 1966/68, (he was roughly 18 at the time) and it was at Mallory park.

I have trawled the internet endlessly for info regarding the crash/newspaper cuttings but have come to a dead end time after time, I did discover that pat had died sometime later. My dad talks endlessly about the crash and often asks me if I have been able to come up with anything so I thought as a last ditch effort I would try posting on here and see if anyone can help me/remembers anything or could point me in the direction that may give me some info. I have tried looking through old local newspapers but he cannot remember which one/s it appeared in.

His name is John Bird and he was living in Cannock staffordshire at the time of the crash.

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Thankyou

Advertisement

#2 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 21:40

Hi, Unfortunately the only info I can give you is that Pat Sheridan died in a sidecar crash at Oulton Park in 1971.

Hopefully someone else on here will be able to provide more information on your fathers Mallory accident.

Edited by Paul Collins, 14 June 2015 - 21:41.

#3 tonyed

tonyed

• 982 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 16:45

I do have most of the programs from 1967 and 1968 from Mallory Park meetings and the only reference I can find from those years to Pat Sheridan is from Sunday 29th October 1967 for the 'Finale 67 Motor Cycle Races' when Pat was entered on a 650 Triumph outfit number 43 but according to the program his passenger was T Taylor. The only other reference I have to Pat Sheridan and Mallory Park is from March 1st 1970 racing a 670 BSA with Phil Smith in the chair.

I have looked through the other programs from '67 and '68 and can find no reference to a passenger with the name of John Bird.

I wish you well with your search as I am only too aware of how difficult these searches can be. I was trying to find information concerning my mothers brother who was killed in a pre-WW2 flying accident whilst at RAF Cranwell. I eventually found, online, a four line report from the Adelaide Gazzette of 1929 referring to a fatal flying accident in Lincolnshire of a pilot in a 'Siskin' from which I was eventually able to trace the pilots name and more about the crash.

From my experience with the 'net keep looking for the same info using different browsers and at different times I was surprised at the vast difference in findings each time.

Good Luck.

#4 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 19:16

Pat Sheridan and his passenger Peter Pritchard were both fatally injured in an accident at the August Bank Holiday Oulton Park meeting in '71.

Other than that info I can't help but suggest that you contact the editor of MCN explaining your problem, I'm sure they will have the archive material from back issues.

Best of luck.

#5 ozzy77

ozzy77

• 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 21:20

Thankyou all for your replies. I appreciate the info I have is minimal, my dad was born in dec 1949 and he says he was roughly 17 ( not 18) when the accident happened so I guess that gives me a 2 year window 66 or 67 and since tonyed has the 67 issue I can only assume it was earlier.  I will contact the editor at mcn exculbracer...thankyou for the tip.

:D

#6 ozzy77

ozzy77

• 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 21:37

hi again,

I have just called my father to tell him about the replies and he has come forth with some more info!!Turns out  the crash was during a practice run and not an actual race, it was def 67/68 and he also said that Ron Mullen and Barry Blakemore were in the same practice run on the day of his accident. We think it was reported in at least one paper ...that being the "Express and star" but quelle suprise they do not hold back issues that go that far back and the microfilms are not viewable online. Looks like it may be a trip to wolverhampton :(

Edited by ozzy77, 15 June 2015 - 21:39.

#7 MBBlake

MBBlake

• 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:45

Hi- Barry Blakemore here! Happy to help with any details you would like. My memory of this day is that it was a practice day, not a race meet. Solos and 3 wheelers were allowed to practice at the same time. The accident was caused due to a solo rider coming off his bike near the pits. One of the rider's companions climbed over the barrier to assist as Pat came round the corner with your dad as passenger. Your dad caught the spectator which knocked him off the side car. Unfortunately as your dad wasn't listed on the competitors practice list this may be why you are struggling to get information. I hope this helps but if you would like more details don't hesitate to ask! Barry