* * * * * 2 votes

Servus und Griaß eich - 2015 Austrian Grand Prix

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#1 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:25

Cows mooing, the wonderful smell of fresh weed (calm down potheads, it’s not Marijuana I’m talking about), rivers full of Red Bull and grumpy looking farmers with arms more muscular than those of  Mike Tyson  can only mean one thing: It’s the Austrian Grand Prix!

Embedded into a wonderful landscape in the middle of nowhere (or Spielberg, as the aborigines call it), this circuit basically represents the whole country: It’s small and neat, partly spectacular but it doesn’t take you very long to see all the important bits and you always feel as if your journey is over way too soon.

Red_Bull_Ring_Description1.jpg

As if the small amount of corners wasn’t enough, Didi Mateschitz made sure to change one corners name from Lauda-Kurve to some sponsor-related name which enraged Niki so much, he almost took his cap off to scare away all the tourists. Almost.

media.media.3309bec5-d72d-44d3-aa9b-e8f9

However, one should not underestimate any of those 8 corners, as previous races have shown. With T1 being extremely tight, drivers used to run wide until the other end of Austria to gain time in the 2000s:

Turn 2, also known as the Remus-Kurve, always presents an opportunity to pass. Or, if you are Montoya, to destroy your own and your rivals race. 

Turn 3, a corner named after the worst Austrian beer to ever go down the throats of thirsty F1-fans, is yet another opportunity to make up places, unless Mika Hakkinen is the guy ahead:

Turn 4 and I'm running out of things to remember about it, so I'll just mention that "Rauch" stands for "smoke" but also for an Austrian drinks-company. Decide for yourself which of these two facts you find more interesting. 

Turn 5 is the corner which used to be called Lauda-Kurve, so here's another picture of Niki almost taking his cap off:

niki-lauda-hebt-die-muetze-an.jpg

Turn 6 is just as boring as it looks and I guess that's why it hasn't even got a name. Therefore, my suggestion would be to name it after Christian Klien or Patrick Friesacher. 

Turn 7 and I'm breathing a sigh of relief because there's something to say about it. Named after possibly the greatest Austrian F1 driver ever (yes Niki, keep your cap on), it's a spectacular and fast right hander which caught Lewis Hamilton out last season as he was on course for an almighty lap. Speaking of Rindt, there are rumours that he might have had some German roots and even a German passport, but people who are going to visit Austria for the first time need to know that mentioning any of those things in public can be punished with up to 3 years of imprisonment or, optionally, a life-long membership to the most famous Austrian footy-club Rapid Wien. 

Turn 8 (aka Red Bull Mobile-Kurve) looks like the slightly less kinky sister of Turn 7 but just one tiny mistake and you're in the tyre barrier on a piece of astro turf which saves your ass. Unless you're Pastor Maldonado (sorry AndrewHope, I just had to).

Now that we're done with the more creative part, let's get down to the facts of last years Grand Prix:

Pole-Position went to Felipe Massa with a stunning lap in the Williams FW 36

Here are all the results from Quali (as if anyone cares for more than Pole and Lewis Hamilton's blunder-related 9th place)

austriangpquali9uuxr.png

Race-result:

austriangpracewxsec.png

The winners-trophy (I would hereby like to apologize for the ugliness of it) as well as the trophy for the most hilarious face of the weekend went to Nico Rosberg:

rosberg_1v6so4.jpg

Nothing beats his Melbourne-face though:

rosberg_2i5sm0.jpg

Huh, there seems to be a trend developing....

rosberg_reuters.jpg

Bottas almost got axed:

2,w=559,c=0.bild.jpg

Anyway, here's the schedule for the weekend:

FP 1: Friday, 10:00 - 11:30

FP 2: Friday, 14:00 - 15:30

FP 3: Saturday, 11:00 - 12:00

Q: Saturday, 14:00 - 15:00

R: Sunday, 14:00 - one of the Mercedes takes the chequered flag

All times are my local time.  :cool:

Weather forecast:

http://www.yr.no/pla...lberg/long.html

So...

- which one of the two Mercedes guys is going to win the race?

- is Pastor Maldonado going to expand his points-streak to 2 races in a row?

- how often is Niki Lauda going to lift his cap? 

- which tone of red will Helmut Markos face have after the race?

- who is going to win this years oldie F1 pre-race-race (last years race is to be found below)

Edited by GoldenColt, 16 June 2015 - 14:27.

Advertisement

#2 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:51

All times are my local time.  :cool:

So...

- which one of the two Mercedes guys is going to win the race?
- is Pastor Maldonado going to expand his points-streak to 2 races in a row?
- how often is Niki Lauda going to lift his cap? 
- which tone of red will Helmut Markos face have after the race?
- who is going to win this years oldie F1 pre-race-race (last years race is to be found below)

Mine as well :lol:

-It's not just between the Merc guys.....but I think Lewis.
-Yes (otherwise we will see the SC)
-twice (after Quali and race)
-as red as the Ferrari
-Niki

#3 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:01

Very nice OP   :up:. Thanks for starting it, I always start to get impatient by Monday night if there is no build-up thread.

I was checking out the weather forecast this morning - Friday and Saturday look like there could be a chance of showers but Sunday looks sunny and warm.

Palmer is again driving FP1 instead of Grosjean.

- which one of the two Mercedes guys is going to win the race? Can't see past Lewis to be honest.

- is Pastor Maldonado going to expand his points-streak to 2 races in a row? Very good chance as its another race where the Merc engine will be a huge benefit.

- how often is Niki Lauda going to lift his cap? At least twice - when Lewis gets pole and then wins (if its a Nico weekend, then not at all ;) ).

- which tone of red will Helmut Markos face have after the race? This:  :mad:

- who is going to win this years oldie F1 pre-race-race (last years race is to be found below) no idea, can't see the link as I'm at work :p

#4 molpid

molpid

• 366 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:17

Quality OP  :up:

#5 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,245 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:23

still-of-julie-andrews-in-the-sound-of-m

Jp

#6 JAW97

JAW97

• 219 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:40

Can't see anything past a Lewis win tbh, though I wonder if Williams might threaten Ferrari. A 4th for Bottas would mean he matches Heidfeld's record for points without a win.

#7 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:58

Turn 3, a corner named after the worst Austrian beer to ever go down the throats of thirsty F1-fans, is yet another opportunity to make up places, unless Mika Hakkinnen is the guy ahead:

oh man that was great to see again, thank you!

quality OP as well!

#8 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,727 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:13

Very good OP (though sadly you reminded me that the last 2 turns as well as turn 1 and turn 2 have tarmac on the exit therefore meaning no actual punishment for going wide, therefore you lose credit for that, however you gain a little bit of credit back by showing us that the track also has gravel on the outside of some corners, which probably means that they've been told to change it to all tarmac runoff before the race weekend starts so that it doesn't breach the FIA's "nobody should be punished for going wide or making a mistake unless they're stupid or they get hit by someone up the rear" rule which means all corners should be tarmac runoff only).

Anyway, enough of my nonsense, it's a good OP and I hope we have an interesting race with someone other than Mercedes winning (don't care who, just not a Mercedes please), and yeah, not sure what else to say really without going on about wishing they'd actually put gravel (or even grass) on the outside of the last 2 turns and turn 1 and 2 so that drivers could actually be punished for making a mistake. Erm......yeah.

#9 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:19

Jp, I fixed that for ya:

large.jpg

Better.

Damn fine OP, Colt. Hell of a way to start my day. :lol: Cheers.

#10 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 4,006 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:33

Isn't this the track where the cows next to the track say things like

Cow1: Mooooo!

Cow2: Didn't you listen, that's exactly what i said a minute ago, he definitely was off track!

Btw, this is what google tells us about Lauda's hat

T0riNVT.png

#11 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 2,775 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:38

Hilarious thread title! But I'm afraid most of the users here won't savor the delicate spelling and meaning of "servus und griaß eich"  :lol:

Great OP, GoldenColt :up:

Edited by andrewf1, 16 June 2015 - 10:39.

#12 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,859 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:44

Hamilton to dominate.

Rosberg will follow him 10+ seconds behind. Vettel further behind.

Kimi will f*** up.

Williams to pressure Ferrari.

RB....its going to be awful.

99% sure its going to be a precession.

#13 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:48

Jp, I fixed that for ya:

large.jpg

Is that Kurt Busch's international assassin ex-gf?

Or Danica in a wig?

#14 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,529 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:55

Jp, I fixed that for ya:

large.jpg

Better.

Damn fine OP, Colt. Hell of a way to start my day. :lol: Cheers.

Also, in the background. Its nice to see that McLaren have finally painted their car orange.  :clap:  :up:

#15 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:56

Nothing more certain than it's going to be a dismal weekend for anyone running a Renault engine...

#16 redraven9

redraven9

• 614 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:06

Wow.. Fernando owned Kimi last year in qualy...

#17 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:15

That track layout....looks "Honda bully"

#18 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:22

I hate predicting whitewashes for Merc.

Part of me thinks Ferrari have learned slightly from Canada, and they can really attack the circuit, but if their fabled traction problems still exist then :rotfl:

If Williams upgrade holds true then they'll definitely be podium challengers
It'll be nice to see McLaren's new nose, but it won't make any tangible impact thanks to track layout.

Hamilton was on for some almighty quali lap before he fudged turn 7 last year, so I think the pole time will be a significant jump from last year, as their was a good half second left in the track. 1:07.7 I reckon. 

#19 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:34

Expecting a thrilling battle for victory between Hamilton and Hamilton.

And the usual McLaren swingometer between hope on Friday and despair on Sunday.

Advertisement

#20 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,483 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:43

The lack of run off is brilliant :)

#21 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:51

Weather forecast?

#22 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:55

Weather forecast?

Raining Fri and Sat. Drying up for the race.

Should make things interesting.

#23 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:57

Expecting a thrilling battle for victory between Hamilton and Hamilton.

And the usual McLaren swingometer between hope on Friday and despair on Sunday.

10557338_946385588776103_401523948421165

Now it's possible :rotfl:

#24 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:07

Weather forecast?

Chances of rain

First practice: 30 %

Second practice: 30 %

Third practice: 30 %

Qualifying: 50 % (Rain forecasted: 2 l/square meter)

Race: 50 % (Rain forecasted: 1.5 l/square meter)

Edited by Marklar, 16 June 2015 - 12:09.

#25 Beamer

Beamer

• 3,401 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:12

Great opening post! Lets have the 1st rain race of the season...

#26 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:14

Hilarious thread title! But I'm afraid most of the users here won't savor the delicate spelling and meaning of "servus und griaß eich"  :lol:

I'm totally savoring it!  Being an expat Austrian, the title actually startled me! :lol:

#27 CurbPainter

CurbPainter

• 1,089 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:19

Great opening post! Lets have the 1st rain race of the season...

Agreed with both !

Here's the weather forecast to keep an eye on...

Long Term Forecast Spielberg

#28 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:25

Agreed with both !

I've included your link in the OP.  :up:

#29 CurbPainter

CurbPainter

• 1,089 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:32

I've included your link in the OP.  :up:

...in a couple of days it will give the hourly forecast also and it gets updated several times during the day, so it's a great site to keep track of the weather.

#30 blacky

blacky

• 2,361 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:36

The weather will play a big role this year. After two hot and sunny weeks here in Austria, there was a change in the weather pattern yesterday. Until sunday hardly more than 20 degrees predicted, good chances of mixed conditions for the whole weekend, better on Sunday.

Tyre temperature will be the key factor for quali.

#31 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 2,161 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:46

oh man that was great to see again, thank you!

quality OP as well!

One thing to notice from that is how close the cars were able to drive behind each other.

#32 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:49

I don't think the track is anything overly special, though I do like bits of it, and don't have confidence that a great race is ahead, but the setting is up there with the best and it is on my list to visit in the future.

For the sake of the championship, I hope Rosberg finishes ahead of Hamilton. I'd love a Ferrari win but can't see it. I suspect that in the end, the usual 3 will be on the podium, in the usual order. Rain might spice it up a bit but the Mercedes in the wet last season was untouchable.

#33 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,106 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:50

Looking forward to it. Austria and Red Bull Ring just looks gorgogeous with all those green and mountains around.

But look out for the rain! I expect a dramatic wet quali!

#34 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 2,775 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 13:07

Longer and better video of the Schumacher - Montoya battle from 2001. Being the new young gun and underdog in the fight against Michael, JPM was my favorite driver back then.  :up:

#35 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 13:13

I don't think the track is anything overly special, though I do like bits of it, and don't have confidence that a great race is ahead, but the setting is up there with the best and it is on my list to visit in the future.

For the sake of the championship, I hope Rosberg finishes ahead of Hamilton. I'd love a Ferrari win but can't see it. I suspect that in the end, the usual 3 will be on the podium, in the usual order. Rain might spice it up a bit but the Mercedes in the wet last season was untouchable.

I think the best for the championship would be an complete Merc DNF and a Vettel victory ;)

Im just joking unfortunatelly. I think regarding the championship we're stil lucky that the gap between the first and second is just 17 points, it's some kind of a miracle actually....but I agree Rosberg needs to beat Hamilton for the sake of the championship to build confidence. Otherwise it will be a very boring season....

Edited by Marklar, 16 June 2015 - 13:16.

#36 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 13:17

I think the best for the championship would be an complete Merc DNF and a Vettel victory ;)

Im just joking unfortunatelly. I think regarding the championship we're stil lucky that the gap between the first and second is just 17 points, it's some kind of a miracle actually....but I agree Rosberg needs to beat Hamilton for the sake of the championship to build confidence. Otherwise it will be a very boring season....

I guess reliability issues will strike eventually :well:

#37 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 13:35

Agreed with both !

Wow - that's nothing like the forecast I saw (how cold are those temperatures, 12 and 14°c on Sat/Sun - thats colder than the North of UK :( - will be a huge issue for tyres if thats accurate)

Anyway - no idea how accurate this one is, I just googled weather for the circuit (as I'm not sure how far away Spielberg was, I had the impression the circuit was in the middle of nowhere) http://www.netweathe...?action=f1;sess=

#38 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,909 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 13:41

Longer and better video of the Schumacher - Montoya battle from 2001. Being the new young gun and underdog in the fight against Michael, JPM was my favorite driver back then.  :up:

From 16th to 4th at the start of the race. Classic Jos Verstappen  :lol:

(Imagine that fight with DRS and a tarmac runoff in turn 2  :cry:)

#39 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,959 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 13:48

Love the scenery of this place, but...I just can't get excited for Formula One at the moment.

Can't it be Le Mans again? Please? :p

Advertisement

#40 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 13:55

Love the scenery of this place, but...I just can't get excited for Formula One at the moment.

Can't it be Le Mans again? Please? :p

Man, once a year is enough. I'm still recovering from the race.

If the weather is going to remain as it is at the start of the week over here in Central/Eastern Europe then expect some surprises. It does seem like it'll stay like this all week long.

#41 CurbPainter

CurbPainter

• 1,089 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 13:56

Wow - that's nothing like the forecast I saw (how cold are those temperatures, 12 and 14°c on Sat/Sun - thats colder than the North of UK :( - will be a huge issue for tyres if thats accurate)

Anyway - no idea how accurate this one is, I just googled weather for the circuit (as I'm not sure how far away Spielberg was, I had the impression the circuit was in the middle of nowhere) http://www.netweathe...?action=f1;sess=

It's still 5 days from Sunday, and your link still gives what my link gave yesterday...we will know Tomorrow/Thursday much better how it's most likely going to be.

The circuit is close to Spielberg...

https://www.google.n...a5c7884!6m1!1e1

#42 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 13:59

Weed you say? Let the other drivers toke a big one before the race so the danger is there (none for Kimi though, he spins even without :-)

#43 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 14:08

Everyone who can speak german can grasp the meaning, nasty dialect  :D  Reminds me how I 'hated' my austrian room for speaking the same language, but only understanding 50% of the things he said

#44 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 14:39

Has there ever been a wet GP at the A1-Ring?

#45 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 14:39

Has there ever been a wet GP at the A1-Ring?

Nope, only one wet quali in '98 IIRC. 

#46 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 14:48

Are you really excited for an wet race? After what happened with Bianchi they will probably be all the time behind the SC if it's only raining a little bit. Secondly Merc will be even more dominant if it's raining (on the other side it's the opportunity for mistakes)...

#47 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 14:50

Are you really excited for an wet race? After what happened with Bianchi they will probably be all the time behind the SC if it's only raining a little bit. Secondly Merc will be even more dominant if it's raining (on the other side it's the opportunity for mistakes)...

I would, Vettel is something special in the rain, even last year he pulled some stunning laps in the rain. He could be much closer to Merc in the rain as under normal conditions..

#48 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,433 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 15:06

Well enlighten us then, neither google nor bing is any use whatsoever. Hello from bing and verifiable from google doesn't assist in savouring the delicacy.

#49 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 15:09

I would, Vettel is something special in the rain, even last year he pulled some stunning laps in the rain. He could be much closer to Merc in the rain as under normal conditions..

He is, but so is Hamilton. I think the tractability of the Merc engine and the balance of the chassis, still give the edge to the Silver Arrows. Ferrari's ace might be in strategy.

#50 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 15:09

Perhaps that's true, but still at least Hamilton is in the rain in Vettels class (for me these two guys are the best in wet weather conditions), so I don't think that he would be really much closer regarding the race victory (but as I said mistakes will be an opportunity). And my main point is stil: WIL they drive if it's raining? I'm not convinced to be honest....