Jensen 541 - race details

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 conx

conx

• 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 17:36

Hi all, 

This is my first post on the forum, which I have been enjoying looking through.

I am currently restoring a 1955 Jensen 541. We suddenly came across a couple of photos on Revslib of our car racing at Silverstone. I would therefore love to find out more details about it's racing history and of that race in particular.

The car is a Jensen 541, reg TPX 212 and race number 116 in the photograph.  The race was at Silverstone in the BRSCC meeting on the 8th August 1959.

I have been unable to track down a copy of the programme for the day, but I have the Autosport magazine which reported on the meeting. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like our car came in the top 3, so isn't mentioned.

Due to copyright, I can't post the picture, but it can be found here.... https://revslib.stan...log/yg998xg7733

I would love to find out anything about the history of our car, who drove it, any other meetings it took part in etc.

Thanks for your help.

Colin

Advertisement

#2 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:14

I will check through some other, only a few sadly, 1959 progs, but so far have only come across a Snetterton entry for a 541 on March 22 1959 with a D Parker running no 121 in the Production Saloon and GT class. No mention in the Autosport report. He may have had it in 1958 also.  I will try and check later in Motor Sport for a report on the BRSCC race, if covered. D Parker may have been 500 f3 supremo and trailer builder Don Parker, then again possibly not, later in life

Roger Lund

#3 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:59

It could be worth consulting the BRDC Archives

http://www.brdc.co.uk/Archive

I remember that, years ago, they were trying to collect programmes, etc. for every event held at Silverstone.

#4 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:25

I will check through some other, only a few sadly, 1959 progs, but so far have only come across a Snetterton entry for a 541 on March 22 1959 with a D Parker running no 121 in the Production Saloon and GT class. No mention in the Autosport report. He may have had it in 1958 also.  I will try and check later in Motor Sport for a report on the BRSCC race, if covered. D Parker may have been 500 f3 supremo and trailer builder Don Parker, then again possibly not, later in life

Roger Lund

It was the Don Parker Roger, I recall seeing him run at Oulton (I theeeeenk!)

#5 conx

conx

• 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:47

Thanks for the replies.

I have sent an email to the BDRC Archive team, asking if they have any info

Yes, Don Parker certainly drove a 541 at times, but I don't think it was my one.  Others who I believe drove a 541 are John Webb (semi-famously against Jack Sears) and Leslie johnson.

The car was owned at the time of this race by S & W Motors Ltd of Abington Road, Northampton. I haven't been able to find out anything about this busines, but the fact that they were in Northampton may be relevant to the car racing at Silverstone.

We have found mention of J. Wolfe racing a 541 at the 8 of  Clubs meeting in July of 1959, again at Silverstone....

"At last, with darkness approaching, came the final race of the day, the MOTOR SPORT qualifying race for the Silverstone Trophy. Butcher's Singer had a lap start plus 15 seconds and he led the race for three of the five lap's before the pack began to catch up. Lewis' An took the lead on lap four, with Campbell's Minx and Wolfe's Jensen 541 coming through the field. Wolfe normally drives a C-type Jaguar but this car not being ready the Jensen was pressed into service. Its speedo Shows over 55,000 miles."

"As the leaders appeared once again. Lee was indeed in the lead, with the Jensen in second place and Lewis holding grimly on to third place, with Campbell's Hillman in fourth spot. These four all qualify for the Final at the North Staffs M.C. Silverstone meeting on October 3rd. "

We were very interested in the late withdrawal of Wolfe's C-Type and replacement by a 541. Perhaps this was also our car, borrowed from S&W Motors, it would have been 4 years old by then, so 55,000 miles on the speedo would not be out of the question.  Or perhaps I am just hoping as J. Wolfe turned into quite a famous driver !  I have the programme for this meeting but it shed no new light which actual car it was, nor does the Autosport report for the meeting or the final on October 3rd.

#6 RobMk2a

RobMk2a

• 262 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 20:39

From my research on TVR Grantura's I've come across John Woolfe racing a C Type (amongst other cars).

Rob