- - - - -

Gary Anderson's F1 masterplan

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,910 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 13:00

GARY ANDERSON outlines his suggestions for the technical and sporting rules that would revive Formula 1 as a spectacle - and warns you might think he's mad, but every change is justified [sub. req.]

Gary's suggestions aren't that mad, I have to say, and I quite like what he has done. I agree with most of what Gary says regarding technical regulations, although I can’t judge all the issues he raises, e.g. 'Minimum upchange rpm of 15,000 when in third through to eighth gear', so I’ll have to go with his judgment.

But the sporting issues he addresses, I don't fully agree with them. Allow me to elaborate:

4. Saturday qualifying to be replaced with a Sprint Race of a minimum of 150 kilometres (93 miles).

I applaud Gary’s efforts in thinking outside the box. And I do agree with the attempt to have the faster cars starting from behind — more on that later — butI strongly disagree with this. 

The main reason I dislike this proposal is that it disconnects F1’s future from its past. And already too many things have changed for Formula One to remain truly connected to its Grand Prix heritage. For example:
  • Its European heartland and the Grandes Épreuves
  • Longer races
  • Major points system changes
  • And now, perhaps, customer cars. (I agree this is a discussion in itself, but fact of the matter is that for some 30 seasons there have been customer cars in F1, but including the 2015 season, for 35 seasons there have not been.)
So to break the tradition of having a single Grand Prix race per fortnight, is a step too far for me.

5. Sunday's race to be the Feature Race of a minimum of 250 kilometres (155 miles).

I disagree. Until recently, most races are just under an hour and a half, which, I think, is too short. And with proposals to speed-up Formula One by several seconds per lap, races aren't getting any long. My suggestion would be to add some 10 laps to each Grand Prix, with race totaling about 350 km instead of 305 km now, and make them roughly 1 hour and 45 minutes long, perhaps with the exception of Monaco and Singapore (longer), or Monza (shorter).

5.1. The grid would be set in championship order reversed – in other words the driver with most points starts at the back.

This in itself should fix the problem of always having the fastest cars starting at the front. And although it breaks with a major tradition in Grand Prix racing — which I fulminated against a above :lol: â€” I find it worth considering. However, if I don’t buy into Gary’s proposal to replace qualifying with a feature race, but do agree with having championship positions decide the starting order, where does that leave qualifying? Well, that’s a good question: I don’t really know. 

One proposal might be to abandon the three-day Grand Prix weekend and have two or three practice sessions on Saturday, perhaps a return of the warm-up session on Sunday morning, and subsequently the Grand Prix itself. Any in-season testing could then be held either on the Friday before, or, alternatively, to make sure teams don’t test on that day fully focused on the Sunday’s race, on the two or three days after the Grand Prix.

5.2. Drivers would still have to use both types of tyres so a pitstop would be necessary.

I would remove the necessity of using both types of tyres. But I would consider having two types available. Preferably, one type would be harder and more durable, perhaps even to the extent that races could be done with a maximum of one stop, while a softer, faster option would require two or even three stops. 

With that, I would expect the faster cars, starting from the back, to opt for the softer option tyres, enabling them to overtake the slower cars in front, but also requiring them to do multiple stops, necessitating another round of overtaking. Slower cars, starting at the front, could risk running harder, more durable tyres, and try to win the race or at least score more points, with no more than one pitstop.

5.3. Points allocation to remain as it currently is: 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1.

I’m not sure about this one. As much as I would like the points system to return to 10-6-4-3-2-1, or even 9-6-4, the damage has already been done when talking about comparing drivers’ season’s or career points’ tallies. This not only has to do with the changed points system, but also with the higher number of races per season.

D. For far too long we have had the really quick drivers in the quick cars winning the championships. These changes will add that extra dimension of how a driver can handle and overtake traffic.

Like I wrote before, I’m on the fence regarding this one. Qualifying and having the fastest cars start at the front, has been part of motor racing for the biggest part of a century. However, it is worth considering abandoning that, keeping in mind that the starting order at the first motor races was decided by ballot.

Curious for your thoughts.

Advertisement

#2 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,518 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 13:10

Hated it. Especially the stupid qualify in championship order thing.

#3 AJFIN

AJFIN

• 237 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 13:32

tumblr_m3eo9wj1jz1qbaywxo1_400.gif

#4 Paco

Paco

• 7,251 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 13:46

tumblr_m3eo9wj1jz1qbaywxo1_400.gif

Exactly.

#5 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 13:47

The qualifying race isn't such a bad idea. You can make the three pracice seasons as we have them currently and take the best lap times of every driver as the grid. Than making the Qualifying race on Saturday afternoon and than in the order of the result the real race on Sunday. And only the Sunday race should be awarded with points. But it is unnecessary to change something. That is not the problem of F1.

#6 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,730 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 13:57

I think a minimum fuel load should be introduced to prevent this lift and Coast culture

#7 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,791 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 14:00

Gary Anderson - Bonafide moron.

Ignore at all costs!!

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 19 June 2015 - 14:03.

#8 Massa

Massa

• 10,086 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 14:02

IMO, the 5.1. is just stupid. Why the best driver have to be last? The fastest have to be first, that's the sport. After that it will be what ? The winner of the last grand prix in the last car, and the last one in the Mercedes ?

#9 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 14:09

You're the best team in the league, kick-off 2 goals down and put stones in your star strikers shoes.

Edited by superden, 19 June 2015 - 14:15.

#10 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,491 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 14:15

I think a minimum fuel load should be introduced to prevent this lift and Coast culture

I think they should just drop the race fuel limit (which Anderson wants to keep but wants to get rid of the fuel flow limit - I think he has it backwards).

#11 phoenix101

phoenix101

• 295 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 14:41

Most of the ideas are ridiculous half-measures to stabilize the current mediocre rules package. The only useful proposal is reverse grid based upon championship points, but the cost is quite steep. The sport becomes more of a gamble, which is good fun for fans, and more precarious for people spending money on teams.

Sponsor: Why are you at the back?

Team: Because we are winning.

Sponsor: Wut?

Viewership would have to skyrocket for sponsors to buy-in. Safety might make reverse grids impossible too.

#12 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 15:15

D. For far too long we have had the really quick drivers in the quick cars winning the championships.

ummm, isn't that the point  :confused:

#13 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 15:18

ummm, isn't that the point :confused:

No, Anderson is from here in the good old UK, a country where society rewards 'taking part' and general mediocrity.

#14 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 15:38

No, Anderson is from here in the good old UK, a country where society rewards 'taking part' and general mediocrity.

Not true.

I think you need to look to the US for "taking part" and mediocrity. American Football is the epitome of "everyone can take part".

#15 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,910 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 15:50

The sport becomes more of a gamble, which is good fun for fans, and more precarious for people spending money on teams.

Sponsor: Why are you at the back?
Team: Because we are winning.
Sponsor: Wut?

Viewership would have to skyrocket for sponsors to buy-in. Safety might make reverse grids impossible too.

That is nonsense. With fast cars starting at the back, bound to be over taking lots of other cars, they will be on TV. Sponsorship is not just about winning, it's also about exposure.

#16 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 16:05

The Jerry Seinfeld gif made this thread.

No offence to the OP, great post and great break down. Just Gary Anderson... whose inane ramblings should we take notice of next; Joe Saward?  :stoned:

#17 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,518 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 16:07

Don't forget Andrew Benson.

#18 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,215 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 17:09

Yes let's introduce even more contrived bullshit gimmicks to F1, that'll fix everything. Like the last 50 attempts.

#19 Skaffen

Skaffen

• 380 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 17:21

I think Anderson has bought into the "spectacle is everything" and it just sounds awful. There's nothing wrong with the fastest cars starting near the front and racing against each other - unless all you care about is pretty pointless overtaking (and a Mercedes staring at the back of the grid this season is going to overtake about 16 cars with very little skill required). An awful lot of sports have seeding in place to guarantee the best fight the best, the whole reverse grid suggestion just guarantees a lot of worthless action and every now and then a front runner loses out because he goes tagged by a rookie that he was overtaking.

Advertisement

#20 pdac

pdac

• 17,209 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 17:29

Sadly,  I think they're all looking at it, seeing viewing figures falling and thinking "we must improve the spectacle" ... we need:

- More overtakes

- More pit stops

- More sparks

- More speed

- More mix up in the staring field

Some of these things may be correct, but their solutions are always to create them artificially. What they need is for teams to have more freedom to develop cars that are as good as the best. But, as we all know, those at the top don't want those they are beating to have the freedom to get too close to them.

#21 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,413 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 18:22

No thank you, why add more gimmicks and elements that aren't necessary? Qualifying is fine as it is, so is the race distance.

All that needs addressing in the sporting and technical regulations are the engine freeze, tyres and rules that mean you must run both compounds and the turbulence drivers face whilst following the car.

If you remove the engine freeze teams can constantly improve their power units and it can allow those down on power to potentially catch up and the grid will close up naturally, allow teams to use whichever compounds so they can run the strategy best for THEM, why should the FIA tell them they must run both compounds? And lastly improve cars being able to follow each other closely, then everything will be much better.

Behind the scenes the money distribution would have to be looked at and addressed to allow the whole grid to be able to survive and be competitive, along with fan ticket prices and hosting fees that circuits are charged with.

Just common sense and less stubbornness and all these things people are up in arms about will pale into insignificance. 

#22 phoenix101

phoenix101

• 295 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 18:51

That is nonsense. With fast cars starting at the back, bound to be over taking lots of other cars, they will be on TV. Sponsorship is not just about winning, it's also about exposure.

True, but the sponsors also like to glad hand with the teams and yuck-it-up in the hospitality with their business partners. They also buy tickets for their employees from time to time. It's difficult to explain or celebrate a back row start, though I wonder if they are paying attention at all.

#23 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 18:51

I can understand people not liking the idea of reverse grids...but I hope they are not the the same people who moan when the pole sitter runs off into the distance and wins the race...unless they have a better solution of course!

#24 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 18:53

True, but the sponsors also like to glad hand with the teams and yuck-it-up in the hospitality with their business partners. They also buy tickets for their employees from time to time. It's difficult to explain or celebrate a back row start, though I wonder if they are paying attention at all.

The back row start might be hard to explain but everyone talking about your car/driver having an exciting race passing cars left, right and centre will probably put a smile on the sponsor's face.

#25 tormave

tormave

• 1,627 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 18:54

My biggest issue with the current F1 is the shift of focus from the driver to the strategy and computer simulation teams, with the driver simply executing the race strategy as pre-planned. I think there would be a lot more racing, if a lot of the dials and switches in the steering wheel were simply banned. I'd only leave pit limiter, brake balance dial and wet/dry throttle map in addition to the normal car controls (clutch, gears, brake, throttle, steering, DRS, KERS). I'd also take away the lap time clock to make driving to a delta time harder. Unlike some, I'd not ban pit to driver communication, but I would enforce everyone to use the same minimal and standard sensor kit, which definitely would not contain sensors for brake or tyre temperatures, or most of the other stuff they now must be collecting. If the driver pushed the tyres or brakes too much, they should feel it rather than have their engineer tell it to them. Telemetry to the pit should flow through the standard ECU, with everyone getting the same data (including spectators).

I wouldn't limit the total fuel amount and I'm definitely against reverse grids.

#26 phoenix101

phoenix101

• 295 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 18:55

The back row start might be hard to explain but everyone talking about your car/driver having an exciting race passing cars left, right and centre will probably put a smile on the sponsor's face.

True, or they could get nerfed in the Turn 1 pile up that results from putting the fast cars at the back.

#27 MarkWRX

MarkWRX

• 844 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 19:07

I thought the technical regulations that were proposed by Mr. Anderson were pretty good.  Simple and capable of (1) improving racing and (2) lowering the cost.  The sporting regulations, however have all the contrivance that the technical regs do not have and for that reason, I don't support those changes.  And I am not sure they would be necessary.  In a 'brave new world of F1' when rational people take over, I think a new set of technical regulations that are similar to what Mr. Anderson proposed would eliminate the necessity and desirability of the sporting regulations that he proposed.

#28 RockBrocaine

RockBrocaine

• 107 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 19:13

The reverse grid would only work if qualifying is changed to a sprint race, which I wouldn't mind seeing. GP2 does and it's like getting double for your money(money I don't actually spend). Only thing though is there would have to be qualifying for the sprint race, so it really wouldn't work, unless they're going to do a short quali session right before the sprint race. A lot of action for engines with a lower allocation these days. I doubt small teams would go for that, because it would certainly increase running costs.

Edited by RockBrocaine, 19 June 2015 - 19:20.

#29 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 19:19

I can understand people not liking the idea of reverse grids...but I hope they are not the the same people who moan when the pole sitter runs off into the distance and wins the race...unless they have a better solution of course!

Quali in a reasonably priced car.

You know it makes sense. :D

#30 Tapz63

Tapz63

• 645 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 19:23

I think a better idea than reverse grids to stop the guy in first running away with it is to give grid penalties to the three who make it to the podium in the previous race.

-5 for 1st, -3 for 2nd, and -1 for 3rd.

This would be a lot simpler and would not create as much chaos as a full reverse F1 grid.

#31 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,413 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 19:40

I think a better idea than reverse grids to stop the guy in first running away with it is to give grid penalties to the three who make it to the podium in the previous race.

This would be a lot simpler and would not create as much chaos as a full reverse F1 grid.

:lol:

All of these suggestions are just so gimmicky. Why should you be punished for being successful and appearing on the podium at the following event? It might be just me but that's just ludicrous.

#32 Number62

Number62

• 522 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 19:59

Reminds me of......https://www.youtube....h?v=sjI-qh37xf0

#33 xflow7

xflow7

• 3,085 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 20:01

I think they should just drop the race fuel limit (which Anderson wants to keep but wants to get rid of the fuel flow limit - I think he has it backwards).

I totally agree and have suggested the same in a few threads here.

#34 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 20:19

If this is the masterplan I'm not sure I'd want to see the draft. :stoned:

On a more serious note: we already have GP2. Turn on MotorsTV and have a look at the track attendance for those races. Then try to find some viewing figures of live broadcasts - if there even is one in your country.

Formula One has problems, yes, but the lack of a quali-race on Saturday isn't one of them. It's pretty clear from the comments by drivers and team principals that the actual participants have a good idea of the things that are lacking these days. Let's hope that theirs are the voices listened to in the various discussions about the future of the sport.

#35 Skaffen

Skaffen

• 380 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 20:33

That would be far, far worse.  It's a daft gimmick and it would lead to a situation, where a team could consider dropping third place so that they don't get a penalty at the next event where they think they have a shot at the win (or if it's their home grand prix).  Then you'd have people in 2nd weighing up whether it's worth dropping behind 3rd because it's only two points less but moves them two places up the grid at the next race..

#36 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 20:39

That would be far, far worse.  It's a daft gimmick and it would lead to a situation, where a team could consider dropping third place so that they don't get a penalty at the next event where they think they have a shot at the win (or if it's their home grand prix).  Then you'd have people in 2nd weighing up whether it's worth dropping behind 3rd because it's only two points less but moves them two places up the grid at the next race..

Imagine the end of the race before Monaco.

'After you...'

'No, I insist...'

#37 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,856 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 20:52

I have a suggestion for another points system. The championship is won by the driver who has amassed the lowest amount of points.

No, no, no, it is not what you think.

The driver who wins the GP gets 1 point. The second driver gets 2 points. And so on and on. So the driver that finishes 20th, by being slow or just crashing out in the first corner, gets 20 points. (Or: the last driver gets 22 points at that race, if Haas comes to the grid). In the end of 2014

What does this mean? That every result counts. If Vettel is driving around in 15th place the onus to park the car and save the engine is removed. Because EVERY result counts in the championship.

EDIT:

IGNORE MY POST!

I just discovered that with my system Nico Rosberg would have been the world champion of 2014. And although I would enjoy the meltdown on this board if that would have happened, Hamilton is too good to deserve something like that. :p

Hamilton 19 1 1 1 1 2 17 2 1 3 3 19 1 1 1 1 1 2 1 78 Nico Rosberg 1 2 2 2 2 1 2 1 18 1 4 2 2 21 2 2 2 1 14 82

But it shows: be careful with what you temper with.

Edited by Nemo1965, 19 June 2015 - 20:52.

#38 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 21:04

The championship is won by the driver who has amassed the lowest amount of points.

EDIT:

IGNORE MY POST!

I just discovered that with my system Nico Rosberg would have been the world champion of 2014. And although I would enjoy the meltdown on this board if that would have happened, Hamilton is too good to deserve something like that. :p

Hamilton 19 1 1 1 1 2 17 2 1 3 3 19 1 1 1 1 1 2 1 78 Nico Rosberg 1 2 2 2 2 1 2 1 18 1 4 2 2 21 2 2 2 1 14 82

But it shows: be careful with what you temper with.

By your maths Hamilton has less points so he still wins, no? :confused:

Tamper btw (if it wasn't a typo).

#39 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,856 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 21:09

By your maths Hamilton has less points so he still wins, no? :confused:

Tamper btw (if it wasn't a typo).

Aw fak. You are right. Hahaha, I misunderstood my own system! Shows you how good the idea is!

Advertisement

#40 Tapz63

Tapz63

• 645 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 21:36

I was just sharing a what I think could be better than reverse grid. Not saying I would prefer it to what we have now.

But, I don't think the problem you two mentioned about drivers purposefully avoiding the podium would exist, but if it did, it could be addressed by tweaking the points system slightly I assume.

#41 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,427 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 22:18

Did he really manage a whole article without slagging off McLaren?

#42 GVera

GVera

• 555 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 22:21

Parc fermé was one of the things that made races boring.

Before that, not always the fastest cars started in front, a car may had a very good qualy setup and get pole, but after everybody changed the settings for the race the relative pace changed.

Edited by GVera, 19 June 2015 - 22:22.

#43 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 00:38

I don't mind the idea of a qualifying sprint race, but never shorten the main race itself - its called a GRAND prix for a reason, the BIG prize. It should not be a glorified GP2 race. 

The tech regs he suggests are far too sensible to ever be taken up by the powers-that-be.