Photo
* * * - - 8 votes

Who would you like Ferrari to sign for 2016?

• Please log in to reply
1081 replies to this topic

Poll: Who would you like Ferrari to sign for 2016? :) (646 member(s) have cast votes)

Who would you like Ferrari to sign for 2016? :)

1. Kimi Raikkonen (current driver, WDC) (121 votes [18.73%])

Percentage of vote: 18.73%

2. Jean-Eric Vergne (fast and consistent experienced F1 driver, and Ferrari test driver) (13 votes [2.01%])

Percentage of vote: 2.01%

3. Estaban Gutierez (Ferrari test driver) (4 votes [0.62%])

Percentage of vote: 0.62%

4. Valteri Bottas (Williams driver) (54 votes [8.36%])

Percentage of vote: 8.36%

5. Nico Hulkenberg (Force India driver) (216 votes [33.44%])

Percentage of vote: 33.44%

6. Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull driver) (94 votes [14.55%])

Percentage of vote: 14.55%

7. Max Verstappen (Toro Rosso driver) (43 votes [6.66%])

Percentage of vote: 6.66%

8. Kevin Magnussen (impressive F1 rookie, and McLaren test driver) (7 votes [1.08%])

Percentage of vote: 1.08%

9. Stefan Vandoorne (top GP2 driver) (8 votes [1.24%])

Percentage of vote: 1.24%

10. Jenson Button (McLaren driver, WDC) (35 votes [5.42%])

Percentage of vote: 5.42%

11. Other (24 votes [3.72%])

Percentage of vote: 3.72%

12. Romain Grosjean (Lotus driver, seasoned F1 racer) (12 votes [1.86%])

Percentage of vote: 1.86%

13. Voted Felipe Nasr (Sauber driver) (9 votes [1.39%])

Percentage of vote: 1.39%

14. Sergio Perez (Force India driver) (6 votes [0.93%])

Percentage of vote: 0.93%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:38

Any thoughts?  :)

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 22 June 2015 - 11:55.

Advertisement

#2 redraven9

redraven9

• 614 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:40

Hulk or JEV (criminally underrated)

#3 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:40

Hülkenberg for sure.

Edited by Tourgott, 22 June 2015 - 11:40.

#4 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,907 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:43

Hulkenberg or Verstappen.

I'm a Kimi fan, but doing what he does... he needs to go.

Edited by JeePee, 22 June 2015 - 11:43.

#5 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,125 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:44

Wait, Button's an option but not Alonso?

Incidentally, Alonso would probably be my pick, if only because of the impending forumgeddon and 2007-esque meltdown that would occur between entrenched fan-camps regardless the result. I guess some people were born to watch the world burn.  ;)

#6 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:46

Ricciardo or Hulk.

#7 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:47

Have a feeling it's just a matter of time before Hulk is confirmed.

#8 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Hulk

#9 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

I'm not ready to write Kimi off just yet.

Hulk would be my first choice if Kimi isn't there but I'd also consider Grosjean quite seriously.

I don't think we'd have any chance of getting Vandoorne - I think there's a great chance he'll be in a McLaren next season.

#10 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:49

Got to be one of Hulkenberg, Bottas or maaaaybe Grosjean or Verstappen. Daniel's probably done more in F1 than all 4 of them but you know my opinion on that one - not a realistic move whilst Vettel's there (at least for now). And to be honest whilst I'd like to see Dan with a competitive car, I'd prefer seeing a new team-mate pairing than a repeat, new pairings are always more interesting.

As for my vote, it's hard to dissociate from the last race and the current momentum swing not to pick the Hulk, so that's mine. But it's gotta be quite close between him and Valtteri in my opinion.

Kimi sadly seems finished tbh. You get occasional races where he looks like he's the old guy we've always known, but there's been way too many underwhelming performances and mistakes lately. I think it's time to go and I think Ferrari are probably swinging that way.

#11 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:51

Verstappen, but I think Hulkenberg is the best option actually up-for-grabs.

Grosjean is a good 2nd choice.

Wouldn't mind Bottas or Ricciardo, but not quite as sold on them as I am the others.

Wait, Button's an option but not Alonso?

Incidentally, Alonso would probably be my pick, if only because of the impending forumgeddon and 2007-esque meltdown that would occur between entrenched fan-camps regardless the result. I guess some people were born to watch the world burn.  ;)

I don't think Alonso is on the cards, nor would he have the humbleness to come back so quickly.

But yea, he'd obviously be the best choice.

Edited by Seanspeed, 22 June 2015 - 11:52.

#12 aramos

aramos

• 1,498 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:52

Ric or Hulk.

I'm not convinced about Bottas just yet.

But really anyone at this point would be a good change, I'd have no problem with Jean-Eric Vergne or Bottas even if they weren't my first choice.

#13 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:52

Hulkenberg definitely.

If not him, then Ricciardo. The Italian connections would make him popular too, but I cannot see Vettel sanctioning it. 

#14 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,543 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:54

Verstappen, but I think Hulkenberg is the best option actually up-for-grabs.

Grosjean is a good 2nd choice.

Wouldn't mind Bottas or Ricciardo, but not quite as sold on them as I am the others.

I don't think Alonso is on the cards, nor would he have the humbleness to come back so quickly.

But yea, he'd obviously be the best choice.

Wait... you're more sold on Grosjean than Bottas or Ricciardo?

#15 aramos

aramos

• 1,498 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:54

Daniel's probably done more in F1 than all 4 of them but you know my opinion on that one - not a realistic move whilst Vettel's there (at least for now). 

You hear this a lot, but say Ricciardo went there and it was a repeat of 2014, wouldn't Ferrari then just focus on him as the lead driver? And if 2014 was an outlier, then it wouldn't bother Vettel.

#16 aramos

aramos

• 1,498 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:58

Hulk would be my first choice if Kimi isn't there but I'd also consider Grosjean quite seriously.

Haven't Ferrari made this mistake already? They replaced Massa with Raikkonen, a driver Massa during their time as team mates was arguably better than. Why would they replace Raikkonen with Grosjean, a driver Raikkonen was clearly better than?

#17 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:59

You hear this a lot, but say Ricciardo went there and it was a repeat of 2014, wouldn't Ferrari then just focus on him as the lead driver? And if 2014 was an outlier, then it wouldn't bother Vettel.

I've posted this so many times on this forum by now it's starting to get very repetitive, but it's just a matter of harmony and interpersonal dynamics, you don't really want to unsettle Vettel now he's performing at the moment. Of course getting the best available driver is always tempting but things don't always work out as intended, the internal atmosphere may get aggressive, you might psych out the drivers, you might not optimize strategies as well as possible etc. Things are going in a good direction right now so the natural thing is to focus on Vettel and bring in a guy that he won't be paranoid about beating him (although it could still well happen with other drivers) - then if in 1 or 2 seasons later they hit a ceiling and cannot improve then yes, they'll be more keen to take more risks and bring in anything that can give more performance including Ricciardo.

#18 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:00

Well Kimi's almost certainly out, unless he wants to drive for a tenth of his current salary. I'm not sure who Ferrari would want to replace him. If they're going back to their old ways it'll be someone who's competent but unable to consistently challenge Vettel, which would likely be a driver who's already under contract.

Hulkenberg is now the perennial favourite for any top seat, but as he's the new Heidfeld it won't be him. :p

#19 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:00

Wait... you're more sold on Grosjean than Bottas or Ricciardo?

Yes, I am. I think the guy, when his head is right, is one of the best on the grid. He's not a sure-thing at all though, I know. But given the right situation, I'd really like to see what he can do. I rate both Ricciardo and Bottas, and while possibly more consistent drivers, I don't necessarily see them as particularly special. I see something a bit more special in Grosjean.

Advertisement

#20 chhatra

chhatra

• 2,710 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:02

Jenson Button....then put Stoffel in a McLaren. He looks like the real deal.

#21 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:03

Haven't Ferrari made this mistake already? They replaced Massa with Raikkonen, a driver Massa during their time as team mates was arguably better than. Why would they replace Raikkonen with Grosjean, a driver Raikkonen was clearly better than?

Grosjean was up and down in 2012 as a rookie (I'd forget about 2009) and had a few mistakes early on in 2013 but improved massively after his Monaco accident and I reckon would have won in Germany that year without the SC. He also had some very good results towards the end of that season and has led the team pretty well since give or take the odd incident.

The fact that Kimi beat him over the course of the 2 seasons they were at Lotus together is fairly irrelevant IMO.

#22 aramos

aramos

• 1,498 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:04

I've posted this so many times on this forum by now it's starting to get very repetitive, but it's just a matter of harmony and interpersonal dynamics, you don't really want to unsettle Vettel now he's performing at the moment. Of course getting the best available driver is always tempting but things don't always work out as intended, the internal atmosphere may get aggressive, you might psych out the drivers, you might not optimize strategies as well as possible etc. Things are going in a good direction right now so the natural thing is to focus on Vettel and bring in a guy that he won't be paranoid about beating him (although it could still well happen with other drivers) - then if in 1 or 2 seasons later they hit a ceiling and cannot improve then yes, they'll be more keen to take more risks and bring in anything that can give more performance including Ricciardo.

While I agree that certainly makes sense, in that case they should focus on probably a driver more like Vergne or Nasr. Someone who looks very good, but not quite great.

I agree, Vettel as a whole has been excellent this season and he looks in fine form, but there is no guarantee a driver like Hulkenberg or Bottas wouldn't unsettle him. I wouldn't expect a repeat of the Ricciardo/Vettel pairing to be so one sided anyway. I say this as a Ricciardo fan, Hulkenberg is a very impressive driver and I'm certainly not sure I could say with any real confidence Ricciardo is better.

#23 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:05

Jenson Button....then put Stoffel in a McLaren. He looks like the real deal.

So many real deals (Ricciardo, Verstapen) there can't be more

#24 Rurouni

Rurouni

• 768 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:07

I vote for Hulk since I like him and he is a realistic option, but if JB is available then I would like JB to drive for Ferrari just for completeness sake. He was already at Williams and McLaren. Driving a Ferrari would be a nice closure. I don't think it will happen, but you never know....

#25 aramos

aramos

• 1,498 posts

Yes, I am. I think the guy, when his head is right, is one of the best on the grid. He's not a sure-thing at all though, I know. But given the right situation, I'd really like to see what he can do. I rate both Ricciardo and Bottas, and while possibly more consistent drivers, I don't necessarily see them as particularly special. I see something a bit more special in Grosjean.

If Grosjean was that impressive I'd expect him to beat Raikkonen comfortably and be far further ahead of Maldonado.

#26 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Grosjean was up and down in 2012 as a rookie (I'd forget about 2009) and had a few mistakes early on in 2013 but improved massively after his Monaco accident and I reckon would have won in Germany that year without the SC. He also had some very good results towards the end of that season and has led the team pretty well since give or take the odd incident.

The fact that Kimi beat him over the course of the 2 seasons they were at Lotus together is fairly irrelevant IMO.

It's not irrelevant, but Grosjean has shown growth, not just in F1, also in F3 and GP2. Once he was on-song, he was quite amazing. Aggressive, confident, reasonably consistent and pulled out some truly noteworthy results. He strikes me as the kind of driver that once you give him a bit of time to get situated, he's going to be hard to beat.

#27 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:10

If Grosjean was that impressive I'd expect him to beat Raikkonen comfortably and be far further ahead of Maldonado.

He has been ahead of Maldanado for a season and a half now quite convincingly. Maldanado is no mug and will have his days, so I cant hold it against a driver for not beating him every race weekend without question.

Raikkonen I think just had the perfect situation at Lotus. And Grosjean was also still quite inexperienced at that point. Grosjean can be quick without experience, as he showed right away in 2012, but he's not great at putting together a full season without it. That's something I believe he has now.

It's something of a gut call, I know, but he's a punt I'd take.

Edited by Seanspeed, 22 June 2015 - 12:10.

#28 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:11

Hulk.

Ricciardo would be #1, but Vettel will certainly veto.

Max ain't ready and Sainz is not that far behind him anyway.

#29 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,543 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:11

I don't actually mind Grosjean, and agree that on his day he can be quite good but special?

#30 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:14

Hulk.

Ricciardo would be #1, but Vettel will certainly veto.

Max ain't ready and Sainz is not that far behind him anyway.

Why do people think, at Ferrari of all teams, that their drivers have this power to decide who gets to drive for them? lol

#31 NoSanityClause

NoSanityClause

• 1,390 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:16

Pastor Maldonado.

Not much of a good qualifier. Like Kimi nowadays.

Quick. Unlike Kimi nowadays.

Crashes a lot, but getting better. Unlike Kimi nowadays.

Pays for a seat, instead of being paid. Unlike Kimi nowadays.

Outside of the car is a really nice and friendly person with the press, even if he just crashed from the lead on the last lap 2 minutes ago. Unlike Kimi...

#32 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:18

Lance Stroll. He is in the Ferrari young driver program and with Maldonado, Perez and Grosjean toning down their act lately, F1 needs a homicidal maniac back behind the wheel...

Edited by TimRTC, 22 June 2015 - 12:18.

#33 aray

aray

• 5,779 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:18

Hulk...but i somehow believe he has missed the bus and Ferrari won't take him....if Kimi goes it will most likely be Bottas notwithstanding that  Massa matches him in speed.

#34 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:23

So when Ricciardo was having a blast in 2014 everyone was on the Ricciardo to Ferrari bandwagon then he start to doing bad in the last few races everyone discard him for the seat.

Bottas was having 4th places and a podium since Bahrain until Canada everyone was on the Bottas to Ferrari bandwagon.

Now Hulkenberg won Le Mans and everyone is on the Hulk to Ferrari bandwagon but before Mans when he was loosing 5-2 to Perez and haven't done anything special in F1 everyone was like "Nah he lost his value" "Nah he isn't the same as in 2014".

My point, give time you are gonna pass Hulk for the seat in a couple of weeks if he return to his usual for of the races before Mans and find a new bandwagon.

#35 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:25

So when Ricciardo was having a blast in 2014 everyone was on the Ricciardo to Ferrari bandwagon then he start to doing bad in the last few races everyone discard him for the seat.

Bottas was having 4th places and a podium since Bahrain until Canada everyone was on the Bottas to Ferrari bandwagon.

Now Hulkenberg won Le Mans and everyone is on the Hulk to Ferrari bandwagon but before Mans when he was loosing 5-2 to Perez and haven't done anything special in F1 everyone was like "Nah he lost his value" "Nah he isn't the same as in 2014".

My point, give time you are gonna pass Hulk for the seat in a couple of weeks if he return to his usual for of the races before Mans and find a new bandwagon.

We know your opinion on Hulk, must be hard the last days. He will outperform Perez easily as last year from now on  ;)

#36 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:25

Man you'd hate it if Hulk got the Ferrari seat, wouldn't you!?

#37 Hyatt

Hyatt

• 1,561 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:27

I'd say Hulk ... but 2 Germanz at Ferrari? dunno ...

#38 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,222 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:27

Hulkenberg. How the hell this guy has never gotten a top seat is beyond me. Hes fantastic.

#39 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:30

I'd say Hulk ... but 2 Germanz at Ferrari? dunno ...

Sounds like a very efficient partnership.

Advertisement

#40 ninetyzero

ninetyzero

• 706 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:31

Estaban Gutierez for the comedy value, and also because I'm not a Ferrari fan.

#41 aramos

aramos

• 1,498 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:32

Why do people think, at Ferrari of all teams, that their drivers have this power to decide who gets to drive for them? lol

They may not decide, but its a fair point that Ferrari have always stayed clear of a pairing that might turn into all out internal war. Ricciardo v Vettel was diffused by Vettel changing teams. But if they both were at the same team to stay I'm not sure it would have remained so civil.

#42 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:33

Raikkonen would still be my first choice but if he goes then definitely Hulkenberg. 

I think he is one of the best out there. People say he has not shown anything special but he has had a few standout drives like Monza 2013 and Brazil 2012. I know he crashed in the latter, but the fact he was competing for a win in a Force India is something truly amazing. But the main reason I rate him is because he brings in the results. He is like Heidfeld, perhaps not the most spectacular driver, but one who will bring you the points you need.

#43 aramos

aramos

• 1,498 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:34

We know your opinion on Hulk, must be hard the last days. He will outperform Perez easily as last year from now on  ;)

Even if he has biases (I don't know his posting so I'm not sure) his point is very fair and completely accurate. It seems whichever one of these drivers has the best race last time out is suddenly the new favorite.

#44 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,327 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:36

Even if he has biases (I don't know his posting so I'm not sure) his point is very fair and completely accurate. It seems whichever one of these drivers has the best race last time out is suddenly the new favorite.

Simply you're as good as your last race. :p

#45 redraven9

redraven9

• 614 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:38

Pastor Maldonado.

Not much of a good qualifier. Like Kimi nowadays.

Quick. Unlike Kimi nowadays.

Crashes a lot, but getting better. Unlike Kimi nowadays.

Pays for a seat, instead of being paid. Unlike Kimi nowadays.

Outside of the car is a really nice and friendly person with the press, even if he just crashed from the lead on the last lap 2 minutes ago. Unlike Kimi...

lol

#46 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:40

Maldonado :clap:

#47 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:43

Isn't that how it always is, but Huldenberg was hot property before Raikkonen slummed into his crisis and Nico won LeMans. I can't see how "you are rated as your last race" applies in this case. A lot of people rated him high and never understood several tope teams overlooked him, so it's no surprise, he is talked about as Raikkonen replacement. Le Mans and Austria just add something more to the discussion. 

#48 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:46

Man you'd hate it if Hulk got the Ferrari seat, wouldn't you!?

Oh my, so having an opinion on someone makes me hate it ? grow up, he is super good as i have post it before, but people only read what they want to read, my point was not on dissing Hulk but prove that the driver going to Ferrari depends on the momentum they are having nothing to do on a particular driver, people should learn some lecture comprehension before posting on others opinions   ;) .

#49 Brazzers

Brazzers

• 1,479 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:46

Anyone besides Daniel or Hulk is a mistake. 

#50 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:49

I hope Ricciardo or Hulkenberg but it could be everyone.....