Azerbaijan wants an F1 team and drivers

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,536 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:36

From STLtoday: http://www.stltoday....b9b72e7559.html

Oil-rich Azerbaijan will host its first grand prix next year on a street circuit in the capital, Baku, but has almost no history of participating in motor sport, whether with teams or drivers.

Sports Minister Azad Rahimov said the government was keen to see racers competing "under the flag of Azerbaijan, under the Azerbaijan team or sponsorship."

He added: "We actually see the potential for that. It would be very interesting for the country to participate, after some time maybe, in this race for Formula One."

The idea was not government policy, and would depend on businesses becoming involved, he said, but added "we will be totally supporting" any private investment. Projects are also under way to develop a new generation of young Azerbaijani drivers and help them progress up the ladder of motor sport series, he said.

Advertisement

#2 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:39

Force Azerbaijan? With "AZERBAIJAN - BEST COUNTRY IN EUROPE, cause you know, like, we're totally from Europe and want to make sure you know we're from Europe" stickers all over the car?

#3 Talisman

Talisman

• 7,073 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:46

Force Azerbaijan? With "AZERBAIJAN - BEST COUNTRY IN EUROPE, cause you know, like, we're totally from Europe and want to make sure you know we're from Europe" stickers all over the car?

Probably a safer way of getting people to think you're European than asking NATO for membership then getting torn apart by the Russkies...

#4 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:02

lol @ noikeees comment!  :lol:

#5 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 13:01

I don't have any problem with new countries getting involved in the sport. As long as it isn't just talk, which this probably is.

#6 ANF

ANF

• 29,530 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 13:38

I'm fine with it as long as the money is laundered and end up with the presidential family!

#7 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 13:46

What is an Azerbaijan ?

Edited by emmanuelrubi, 24 June 2015 - 13:46.

#8 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 14:26

Colin Kolles is meeting with them as we speak!

#9 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,536 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 14:33

Don't forget zoran stefanovic  :p

#10 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 16:26

I don't have any problem with new countries getting involved in the sport. As long as it isn't just talk, which this probably is.

Even though I'm a fan of the sport, I'm against governments wasting money on the sport. I'm sure Azerbaijan has much better things to spend money on than on an F1 team.

#11 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 16:32

The ironic thing here was that until this whole Azerbaijani GP deal happened, I really did have a reason to go and spend money in Azerbaijan.

Because F1 couldn't find me there.

#12 CurbPainter

CurbPainter

• 1,089 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 16:40

Even though I'm a fan of the sport, I'm against governments wasting money on the sport. I'm sure Azerbaijan has much better things to spend money on than on an F1 team.

Tourism can be extremely profitable in the long turn.

So on the one hand, the companies involved will gain from the commercial exposure and on the other hand tourism...potential revenue in the next decades for Azerbaijan, multiple billions of Dollars.

Edited by CurbPainter, 24 June 2015 - 16:40.

#13 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 16:51

No.

#14 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 17:10

The country is doing everything it can to promote itself

I predict a WTCC or SBK race in a few years ,t he a big push for F1, Bernie wont care about any of the stuff.

They are holding their invented European games there at the moment which is getting big publicitym and if you watch Eurosport, hardly an ad break goes by without their tourism board advertising something, so they clearly are ona  drive to get what they perceive as big events there

#15 loki

loki

• 12,301 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 18:27

We did a gig in Baku in 2006.  it was still very Soviet era-esque.  I don't see this one lasting more than a year so along the lines of Korea or India.

#16 Rasputin

Rasputin

• 960 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 18:29

And I want to get laid by Scarlet Johansson....

#17 king_crud

king_crud

• 8,068 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 18:37

We did a gig in Baku in 2006.  it was still very Soviet era-esque.  I don't see this one lasting more than a year so along the lines of Korea or India.

A guy from work is there currently for 5 months and he says it's confusing, they're not sure if they're soviet, western, or strict muslim. Apparently men must wear trousers when out in public, shorts aren't allowed.

#18 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 19:01

Tourism can be extremely profitable in the long turn.

So on the one hand, the companies involved will gain from the commercial exposure and on the other hand tourism...potential revenue in the next decades for Azerbaijan, multiple billions of Dollars.

I doubt there is a sound business case for hosting a race nor one for facilitating an Azerbaijani team.

This is very much about hobbyism of some /petrol heads in government who want to justify the use of tax payer money or money that should rather be spent on the poor.

Edited by Timstr11, 24 June 2015 - 19:02.

#19 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 19:02

Apparently men must wear trousers when out in public, shorts aren't allowed.

That sounds sensible.  Can we have a law like that here in the UK please Mr Cameron?

Advertisement

#20 CurbPainter

CurbPainter

• 1,089 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 19:19

I doubt there is a sound business case for hosting a race nor one for facilitating an Azerbaijani team.

This is very much about hobbyism of some /petrol heads in government who want to justify the use of tax payer money or money that should rather be spent on the poor.

It's much more as you think, just read this about Qatar...

https://joesaward.wo...ke-and-mirrors/

#21 TIPO61

TIPO61

• 598 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 19:33

And I want to get laid by Scarlet Johansson....

You've got a better shot with Cal Haas.

#22 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 20:02

Oh well, they're presenting themselves in football as sponsor of Atletico Madrid, so why not, if they have the cash. I mean, nobody cared about Force India when they started back in 2008, and now they're a respected midfield team.

I'd rather see a well backed team like them than cash strapped Manor Marussia where every race you're waiting for the first headlines whern they'll drop out.

Su14_Match_Atletico_Madrid_PR_H_Front_la

#23 ninetyzero

ninetyzero

• 706 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 20:26

Yeah and I'd like to win the lottery but we don't always get what we want do we?

#24 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 21:05

It's much more as you think, just read this about Qatar...

https://joesaward.wo...ke-and-mirrors/

What does the Qatar Fund bid for F1 have to do with Azerbaijan? Different quantities and situation.

#25 CurbPainter

CurbPainter

• 1,089 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 21:22

What does the Qatar Fund bid for F1 have to do with Azerbaijan? Different quantities and situation.

It`s about if it pays for Azerbaijan to invest in F1. Backing companies from Azerbaijan which need exposure and giving the country Azerbaijan (which also reflect hugely on the rest of companies from Azerbaijan) can have a much bigger economic advantage as you might think in the long run.

A bit of a serious company has quickly a marketing budget of about 25-100 Million Dollars a year, so give two Azerbaijan companies some extra money and name the team Azerbaijan F1, and it is a much lesser investment a year as people might think (given they will stay on a small team budget as the likes of Force India, Lotus, Sauber and Toro Rosso (about 80 Million Dollars a year)).

#26 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 22:31

Oh well, they're presenting themselves in football as sponsor of Atletico Madrid, so why not, if they have the cash. I mean, nobody cared about Force India when they started back in 2008, and now they're a respected midfield team.

I'd rather see a well backed team like them than cash strapped Manor Marussia where every race you're waiting for the first headlines whern they'll drop out.

Su14_Match_Atletico_Madrid_PR_H_Front_la

They could be McLaren's title sponsor. "Land Of Fire" would look really good against a detonating Honda engine. 

#27 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 22:36

They're really trying to spend their gas money as quickly as possible aren't they... they're even more crass in buying things in to show credibility than the Gulf states...

#28 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 23:13

They're really trying to spend their gas money as quickly as possible aren't they... they're even more crass in buying things in to show credibility than the Gulf states...

I'm guessing that they want to turn this money into long term growth, by returning the country to a popular tourist destination. 

#29 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 23:43

That Azerbaijan fire logo from the Atletico shirt also appeared on Stephane Richelmi's DAMS GP2 car last year. Not sure their connection with the Monegasque driver and French team, unless they were just looking to test the waters with some low key motorsport sponsorship.

#30 Peter0Scandlyn

Peter0Scandlyn

• 727 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:04

Shame old Veej hasn't any aircraft left.....could be a deal to be done here to get rid of that pesky team.

#31 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 18:17

<sarcasm>I love how much respect is shown to someone who wants to invest in F1.</sarcasm> That, when all the while we usually complain, about how F1 doesn't have that much money in it for the teams. Here we have someone who wants to start a team. What's wrong with a team from a particular country wanting to have a race locally? Suzuka wasn't always a F1 venue, but now you can't scracely want a calendar without it. Same goes for a lot of other tracks. This whole malarkey about "this/ that place noooooo", i would never understand. Surely F1 can have a calendar of 20-22 or so races a year, especially if the teams get money for it i don't even see teams opposing it.

#32 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 18:22

I agree.  We have seen Force India, USF1 (well, nearly), not to mention BRM back in the day.  Forza Rossa is lurking somewhere.  So why is there a problem with an Azeri team?

The time to worry is when the Kazakh dictator decides to start Astana F1....

Edited by BRG, 25 June 2015 - 18:22.

#33 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 18:26

blood money everywhere, splat! :love:

#34 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 18:35

blood money everywhere, splat! :love:

Sigh... Ok, name a few countries hosting F1 which didn't partake ever in any sort of bloodshed. This whole "we did it cuz reasons... and they do tyranny," it is just old. May be not... what's the saying, a fool's born every minute?

#35 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 19:35

Sigh... Ok, name a few countries hosting F1 which didn't partake ever in any sort of bloodshed. This whole "we did it cuz reasons... and they do tyranny," it is just old. May be not... what's the saying, a fool's born every minute?

didn't I say everywhere :p

#36 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 19:53

didn't I say everywhere :p

Apologies then... sincerely.