Photo

Lotus 12 #352 Chaseside Engineering Jackson

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 M bennett

M bennett

• 122 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:57

Finally able to give the correct name for this company on the Lotus build card for chassis 352. For a long while the handwriting on the nearly blank build card looked like 'Jackson - Charnside Engineering', but hey presto it is Chaseside Engineering. Now Chaseside was an interesting company with Gordon Jackson as its MD in the late 1950s  The Lotus 12 was built in early 1957

Chaseside was based at that time in Enfield Middlesex, later the business was bought by Northrop and moved to Blackburn Lancashire, Gordon Jackson lived nearby in the village of Mellor. Eventually the business was absorbed into JCB which, as we know, is currently a very successful business.  Google  Chaseside Engineering to see that they were a significant engineering company for many years..

I had always thought that anyone ordering a new F2 Lotus 12 from Tottenham Lane would have had some previous experience on the race track. So it seems, as RLT notes in the last post on Charnside Engineering (thanks RLT) that Chaseside Engineering were advertising in Motor Sport April 1957 an immaculate Cooper Bristol 652 "driven last season by one of our directors"   for a price of GBP 700.

The chain of events would possibly be: Gordon Jackson wants to upgrade from his Cooper Bristol for the 1957 season, he puts his Cooper up for sale and orders one of the first Lotus 12s from Lotus Hornsey.

I do not think Gordon Jackson took delivery of #352, I can find no evidence of Mr Jackson entering F2 in a Lotus 12 from 1957 onwards. I think that the early Lotus 12 cars suffered transmission failures right away and Mr Jackson decided to refrain from taking delivery. #352 remained with Team Lotus and once Keith Duckworth had made the significant improvements to the transmission #352 went on to have a long and successful career in Team Lotus.

By correcting the company name I hope this will lead to more information on Mr Jackson, we believe he was born in 1923 which would make him an elderly 92 if he is still with us, alternatively he may have children about my age !

What is equally amazing is that this type of investigation would be nigh on impossible with out the power of the internet.

Regards Mike B

HLR Lotus 12 Registrar Adelaide

Advertisement

#2 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,052 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 13:48

Maybe we are confusing:

Chaseside Motor Co Ltd, Great Cambridge Road, Enfield, Middlesex.

with

Chaseside Engineering?

You may wish to learn more about these companies at the London Gazette:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/

RGDS RLT

#3 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 14:34

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find they were inter-related companies. Chaseside Motor Co. were an enterprisng bunch - they offered not only a van/estate conversion on the Thames/Anglia 105E, but in 1954 they built and advertsied for sale in Motor Sport magazine a sports/sprint car. The type of Ford engine was not specified but was 2.6 X 3.64 in bore and stroke (pity they didn't say how many cylinders!), but the most interesting aspect was the claim that the engine was mid-mounted. This, in 1954!

The bodywork appears to have been an adapted Peel 1000 GRP unit, strictly a 2-seater, and I have a feeling that the engine was installed where the passenger would normally sit. The ad suggested it was suitable for weekend driving and sporting events, and was marketed as a "sprint" car. All pretty adventurous stuff for a mainstream Ford dealership.

#4 M bennett

M bennett

• 122 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:21

This obituary from August 11th 1961 records the death of Gordon H Jackson, father of Gordon L Jackson ( the man who ordered the Lotus)

" We record with deep regret the death following a road accident on July 26th of Mr G H Jackson chairman of Chaseside Motor Co Ltd main Ford dealers of Enfield Middlesex  - - - --  about 1932 he developed the first mechanical shovel, mounted on a Fordson tractor, to be seen in this country and in 1936 the Chaseside Engineering company was formed"

Gordon L Jackson went on to run the company following his father's death, managed   its move to Blackburn and its absorption into Northrop and then into JCB.

So the Ford dealership came first and then the Engineering company, both in close proximity in Enfield Middlesex.

More researches next week.

Mike B Adelaide

#5 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 20:39

Mike, I should have thought of it sooner, a "Chaseside" in quarrying terms here when I was younger and had business in quarries, means a very large bucket loader, usually with chains in the giant tyres, of loading gravel, hardcore, stone etc. Hence the attraction to JCB for acquisition purposes

Google Chaseside bucket loaders and see some interesting stuff about them. Wiki gives quite a comprehensive history and the reasons for the move north and the  details of the site to which they moved, plus subsequent activities.

There may be a construction industry magazine where  leads could be asked for or JCB might  be able to help, esp as they have an interest in old racing cars.

Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 26 June 2015 - 20:50.