Posted 01 July 2015 - 14:18

http://gpda.motorsport.com/

CI1ZhFoWEAA9HBk.png

Advertisement

#2 uffen

uffen

• 1,892 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 14:36

Most voted for refueling? I am amazed and saddened. The rest I can deal with but not that.

#3 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 14:38

There is a mistake on there. Jenson is not the most followed driver on twitter. I believe that is Lewis.

Senna Number 1? Well, I would be a small and petty man to take pleasure in that............... The Champagne is on its way   ;)

#4 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 14:39

Who are the big chunk of fans who want F1 to be a spec series?

#5 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,065 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 14:42

There is a mistake on there. Jenson is not the most followed driver on twitter. I believe that is Lewis.

That is true, but isn't the quoted statistic purely from among the people who voted in the survey?

#6 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 14:44

50% said they don't watch live anymore? That's pretty damming.

#7 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 14:45

That is true, but isn't the quoted statistic purely from among the people who voted in the survey?

Hmmm. You are probably right. 

That could signify that Jenson is more popular with the hardcore fans, while Lewis is more popular with the casual audience. Pure speculation of course.

#8 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 14:46

45 % watch F1 online. Hhhhmm.... (legal or not?)

Edited by Marklar, 01 July 2015 - 14:46.

#9 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,480 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 14:48

Surprised to see Kimi rate so high amongst fans globally. :up:

#10 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 14:53

Hmmm. You are probably right.

That could signify that Jenson is more popular with the hardcore fans, while Lewis is more popular with the casual audience. Pure speculation of course.

I dont remember that this question was beeing asked on the survey.

But if its the case than it imply that what you suggest.

Whats more surprising is that none of the WDC and WCC of the past 5 (probaly now 6) years are in the top 3 of their categorys.

On the other side Im happy that Ferrari, Williams and McLaren are the favourite constructors. Thats how it should be!

Edited by Marklar, 01 July 2015 - 14:54.

#11 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 14:53

No Hamilton on top 3 despite current success?, shocking, specially when the number 1 voting country is UK, and for example Alonso is second and Spain is not in the top 10 voting countries. So much for the only driver with global appeal and other crazy claims.

Edited by kosmos, 01 July 2015 - 14:53.

#12 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,954 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 14:55

Surprised to see Kimi rate so high amongst fans globally. :up:

Oh Please...Only losers with no jobs and no personality complete these kinds of surveys...

So I guess the result there speaks volumes...

Jp

#13 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 14:56

Oh Please...Only losers with no jobs and no personality complete these kinds of surveys...

So I guess the result there speaks volumes...

Jp

With the rest of us writing on an obscure internet forum? 

#14 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,480 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 14:58

I dont remember that this question was beeing asked on the survey.

But if its the case than it imply that what you suggest.

Whats more surprising is that none of the WDC and WCC of the past 5 (probaly now 6) years are in the top 3 of their categorys.

On the other side Im happy that Ferrari, Williams and McLaren are the favourite constructors. Thats how it should be!

UK votes probably helped a tad.

Edited by YoungGun, 01 July 2015 - 14:58.

#15 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:00

No Hamilton on top 3 despite current success?, shocking, specially when the number 1 voting country is UK, and for example Alonso is second and Spain is not in the top 10 voting countries. So much for the only driver with global appeal and other crazy claims.

You know the difference between hardcore fans (80 % dont support a particular driver) who took the time for this survey and the general audience?

For example myself: I didnt vote for an particular driver because Im more an Williams fan and from the drivers I like Alonso and Hamilton exactly the same. Im for sure not the only one.

#16 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:02

UK votes probably helped a tad.

Than the top 2 of the drivers would have been Button and Hamilton. Perhaps ot helped a little bit.

#17 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:09

Whats a bit shocking is that 44 % want costumer cars. 80 % for refuelling. Both things are not the right way....

Edited by Marklar, 01 July 2015 - 15:10.

#18 GTRacer

GTRacer

• 360 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:11

Most voted for refueling? I am amazed and saddened. The rest I can deal with but not that.

I agree with that.

Its also surprising given how every online discussion & poll I have seen has put the majority against it. Even the twitter discussions & live F1 show on Sky the past month or 2 had most comments/hands raised in opposition.

The funny thing is that they could bring it back & within a few years everyone would be calling for it to be banned again..... Especially if it affects the racing the same way it did before (Which it would) when everyone was complaining that there was no racing on-track & that all the action was in the pits with all the passing done in the pits.

I remember someone from a team gathered some fan data from a bunch of websites around 2004 or 2006 in which he suggested something like 80% of fans wanted refueling banned & thats what really got the ball rolling in terms of the very few people who were opposed to a ban previously changing there opinion & voting for the ban when it was put to FOTA in 2009 (Along with data on cost's & how it was affecting the races).

Still I really can't see it happening because I still just don't see the support from within F1, The teams especially seem more united on it not coming back than they are on anything else.

Edited by GTRacer, 01 July 2015 - 15:13.

#19 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:12

You know the difference between hardcore fans (80 % dont support a particular driver) who took the time for this survey and the general audience?

For example myself: I didnt vote for an particular driver because Im more an Williams fan and from the drivers I like Alonso and Hamilton exactly the same. Im for sure not the only one.

And yet, Hamilton not there, not even on 3rd is strange.

Advertisement

#20 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:12

- Kimi is the most popular driver, yet he can hardly be associated with any of the most popular attributes people want from drivers.

- It's telling that people consider these cars the ugliest since the 60s, when only a very small percentage of the current fans were alive and/or followed F1.

- Expading the calendar has done little or squat to attract more fans, apparently. Australia is the country who was most recently added to the calendar, back in 1985.

- At the same time, the only countries of the top ten to have been in F1 without interuption for the past decade are UK, Australia, Japan, Italy and Brazil. And all of these, except perhaps Brazil, have faced serious pressure and have had their presence in jeopardy recently.

- So basically the F1 has no fvcking clue how to attract new fans by use of the calendar while it has constantly pushed itself from significant sections of its fanbase.

Edited by Atreiu, 01 July 2015 - 15:28.

#21 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:13

I think the average age of 37 speaks volumes. Young people aren't really interested in the sport, but I don't know if this is an F1 thing, or just sport/motorsport in general.

#22 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,480 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:14

Than the top 2 of the drivers would have been Button and Hamilton. Perhaps ot helped a little bit.

You answered the question in the previous post.

#23 hamilton10000

hamilton10000

• 673 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:14

Looking at the Autosport article it does seem that all the team bosses seem to just be dismissing each result 

Christian Horner on Tyres

"I think that's rose-tinted spectacles.

"If you go back and look at what Ferrari did with Bridgestone against Michelin with Renault - everyone else suffered.

"[More durable tyres] will make the racing worse, you'll have one-stop races which are never exciting."

Toto Wolff on refuelling

"limit the variance on strategy and you will see less overtaking".

Eric Boullier on refuelling

"The problem with refuelling is you get into a computer-driven strategy with no flexibility.

"Today you can mix-up the strategy quite a bit, which you wouldn't be able to if you had to refuel."

Manor president and sporting director Graeme Lowdon said any call for refuelling and a tyre war "hasn't been thought through".

"People forget, no-one used to overtake in the refuelling days, it was all done in the pitstops," he added.

"Sadly I think a bit of amnesia has crept in from the fans with regard to those two things."

Even if some people do think that the results aren't really right it does seem like they are just asking the public and then dismissing all the results and saying all the fans are wrong

#24 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:17

Who are the big chunk of fans who want F1 to be a spec series?

probably Americans

#25 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:18

I hope people here will finally accept that sound is pretty important and that the majority is in favor of refueling. 

#26 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,681 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:19

Not saying this survey isn't flawed, but I sincerely hope the people that have power notice that the 2nd most important issue for fans is the sound of the engines. Of course, that doesn't specifically say that most people hate the new sound, but I think that's a safe assumption.

#27 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

50% said they don't watch live anymore? That's pretty damming.

they should correct these 50% and take them from survey

#28 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

I hope people here will finally accept that sound is pretty important and that the majority is in favor of refueling. 

hearsay,

adaption to the media headlines...

self fullfilling prophecy

Edited by SealTheDiffuser, 01 July 2015 - 15:20.

#29 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:22

that doesn't mean it will come

the only thing I fear is a stupid qualifying system with refuelling (to spice up the show)

#30 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:26

And yet, Hamilton not there, not even on 3rd is strange.

we could also ask why Seb is not in the top 3 or why Kimi is 1st.

Same thing with the Best of all time. Why is Clark not in the top 3 who is considered as the best driver ever besides Senna? The most votes where from the UK. Its also strange.

#31 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:27

The results are not representative as I'm sure the whiners felt the most motivated to go and complete the survey with their rose-tinted view of the past.

The fact that Hamilton is outside of the top 3 as most popular drivers says it all.

Kimi #1? Puleaase...

Edited by Timstr11, 01 July 2015 - 15:28.

#32 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:29

The results are not representative

Oh dear...  :rolleyes:

#33 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:30

Same thing with the Best of all time. Why is Clark not in the top 3 who is considered as the best driver ever besides Senna? The most votes where from the UK. Its also strange.

Vettel has never been that popular and Kimi for whatever reason has been always very popular, that's not new, this is something we have seen over the years in many polls, no matter how irrelevant they were, there is always a trend.

#34 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:31

Oh dear...  :rolleyes:

Online surveys are never statistically sound. I hope you know and acknowledge that.

#35 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:33

A lot of responses from Austria! :p

Interesting:

• +50% don‘t watch races live since broadcasts moved to Pay Television. 'Ouch!' sums that up, I'd say.
  • ~80% don’t follow a particular driver. Perhaps this shouldn't be too surprising given a majority of respondents has watched F1 for longer than the general length of an F1 career, but the zealous nature of the so-called 'fanboys' might lead one to think otherwise.
  • Neither Hamilton nor Rosberg makes it into the top three of popular drivers, which is not a huge surprise but probably something that contributes to the critical light in which F1's current state is seen by the respondents. This perhaps also plays into 88% of people saying that F1 needs to feature the best drivers, compared to the 65% who said so in 2010. The statement that it already does unsurprisingly has gone down from 65% to 45%.
  • Only 60% of respondents consider F1 the 'pinnacle' of motorsport with an impressive 74% calling for less restrictions on development and ~73% saying the sound and power output is important. No surprise here, regardless of all the insider 'journalists' defending the ever more restrictive regulations, engine freezes, V6 turbos etc.
  • Pirelli has (purposely or not) created such woeful tyres that 80% now apparently long for a tyre war! That's more than I had expected.

I think a lot of the more extreme ideas (reverse grids, extra races, points for qualifying) are the result of the main complaints rather than a genuine interest - though it is of course possible that I'm wrong on this.

Online surveys are never statistically sound. I hope you know and acknowledge that.

Note that these are (apparently) not the raw numbers: it says '217,756 fans took part. Total sample 133,000+ (results based on this number and weighted to be representative of F1 fans by region and interest)'.

Edited by Nonesuch, 01 July 2015 - 15:40.

#36 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,954 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:37

With the rest of us writing on an obscure internet forum? 

I use this place as my personal note pad..

I'm damn glad it's obscure.

Jp

#37 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:37

80% don’t follow a particular driver. Perhaps this shouldn't be too surprising given a majority of respondents has watched F1 for longer than the general length of an F1 career, but the zealous nature of the so-called 'fanboys' might lead one to think otherwise.

I was not surprised by this.

F1 fans I meet in real life don't have strong driver preferences. They don't have a driver who they outright support. Instead, they have a number of drivers they like, and a number of drivers who they dislike. Others tend to be strictly team fans. 

#38 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:38

Vettel has never been that popular and Kimi for whatever reason has been always very popular, that's not new, this is something we have seen over the years in many polls, no matter how irrelevant they were, there is always a trend.

Ok, next try. Who do you think is more known/liked in the world: Mercedes or Williams? The answer is obvious. But fourtunately for us it is Williams. So for me it isnt that surpring that Kimi, Nando and Jenson are the top 3. They're all in my personal top 5, so I'm pretty fine with that ;) But it has nothing to say in the end about who is more famous/liked or the other crap.

#39 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:38

Looking at the Autosport article it does seem that all the team bosses seem to just be dismissing each result

Even if some people do think that the results aren't really right it does seem like they are just asking the public and then dismissing all the results and saying all the fans are wrong

The same thing happens with every F1 survey, they always think the fans views are wrong or don't matter and they know best,

Advertisement

#40 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:39

The only thing that really surprised me with this is so many in favour of refuelling and tyre war. Two things that made racing on track worse and competition less. 

#41 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:39

How certain are you of that? 90%?

;)

The survey is the next best thing we have. Throwing all out in the trash because Hamilton wasn't mentioned is wasteful regardless. 

Edited by Atreiu, 01 July 2015 - 15:59.

#42 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:40

The average age is interesting - young people would be more open to online engagement, so the fact that this is pretty old is worrying. I am not surprised though - all the factors that wowed me about F1 when I was young don't seem to be there anymore. 

50% don't watch live anymore? I hope the sponsors take note and put pressure on FOM to reverse this trend of going PPV...

I can't believe people voted the 2000s were their favourite looking cars. Seriously? All those winglets and appendages?

There are some contradictions in this survey, but that's the nature of the beast I guess. It would be interesting to separate the 'hard-core' element of the fanbase - becasue on here the refuelling polls were completely different. 

#43 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,502 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:42

Brings a wry smile to my face to see Kimi as #1, yet he's perhaps performed worst of all the last 2 seasons, that's a lot of disgruntled fans :lol:

#44 GTRacer

GTRacer

• 360 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:42

In fairness to them it wasn't the teams that wanted to ask the public, Neither of the 2 recent survey's had anything to do with the teams.

I'd also put forward that the teams have way more data than the fans do & a greater understanding of how things work for them so there is always going to be a discrepancy on some things from there pov.

- It's telling that people consider these cars the ugliest since the 60s, when only a very small percentage of the current fans were alive and/or followed F1.

I remember back to the Mid-2000's when there were a lot of fans (And people within F1) who were saying those cars were the ugliest in F1's history because of all the flaps, winglets, horns & those so called dumbo-wings sprouting off them.

There is an interesting opinion in the BBC article from Alex Wurz who ponders that fans tend to look back at the period they 1st got into F1 as been what they think F1 should be & I think there's some truth in that.

Fans that grew up watching in the 90s tend to see those cars as the best looking, Those who started in the 2000's see those as the best.

Same with thing with other things like refueling, sound, tyres etc.... People always tend to look back on the era they started watching as been better than what we have now. It was the same in the 90s when people who grew up watching the turbo's & the cars of that era would look at the current era (Then the mid/late 90s) & say it was better the decade before. Those who grew up in the 90s were saying the same when we got to the mid/late 2000's & now those who grew up 10 years ago are saying the same of things today.

Those who were watching the 1989-1995 period harp about V12's while those watching from 1996-2005 always talk about V10's been the best engine.

#45 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:44

The average fan is 37 and the 00s cars were rated the best looking. And they also want refueling and tire wars back.

So it's all just nostalgia for the Schumacher-Ferrari era?

#46 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,681 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:47

Average viewer age is 37. That means the majority of viewers started watching in the 90s/00s. I don't think anyone here would really argue that F1 cars from that era were better looking than, say, a Lotus 79 or an Eagle T1G, but the fact that the "best looking cars" come from the '00s according to this survey shows me that there's a strong bias to the era during which people started watching. That also explains why Prost/MSC/Senna are top 3. A lot of fans probably know Clark's name, but have no idea what he did or why he's considered a great.

That said, I'd still agree with MSC and Senna in the top 3 all time, despite their flaws. I think Jimmy is definitely in there, maybe even #1.

#47 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:48

• Neither Hamilton nor Rosberg makes it into the top three of popular drivers, which is not a huge surprise but probably something that contributes to the critical light in which F1's current state is seen by the respondents. This perhaps also plays into 88% of people saying that F1 needs to feature the best drivers, compared to the 65% who said so in 2010. The statement that it already does unsurprisingly has gone down from 65% to 45%.
Can't see what Hamilton and Rosberg have to do with this point. I've also voted for it but just because I think that we have to much pay drivers here and to much promising talents dont get into F1.

You're point would fit if the question was that the WDC most be more competitive.

Edited by Marklar, 01 July 2015 - 15:50.

#48 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:48

The average fan is 37 and the 00s cars were rated the best looking. And they also want refueling and tire wars back.

So it's all just nostalgia for the Schumacher-Ferrari era?

Isn't one a symptom of the other?

37 year olds were in their 20s during the period that they say they liked.

It's not at all surprising that people say they like the era that they started watching the sport in.

#49 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,681 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:51

Looks like other people noticed the same thing already. I'm guilty of it too, I love MSC/Ferrari because I started watching when they were the underdogs fighting the might of Mclaren/Mercedes.

Unlike a fair number of other fans, though, I care about the history of the sport and I've read enough books/watched enough race footage to understand how my "starter" era fits into the bigger picture of the sport.

#50 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:51

F1 fans I meet in real life don't have strong driver preferences. They don't have a driver who they outright support. Instead, they have a number of drivers they like, and a number of drivers who they dislike. Others tend to be strictly team fans. 

I have much the same experience. Most people visiting - and apparently watching - F1 don't really care whether or not one podium here or there means driver A has 'crushed/destroyed/dominated' driver B. The nature of online commenting means the people with the greatest desire to share their opinion tend to fill up most comment-sections and threads, which in turn multiplies the impact of the vocal minority who seem to have connected their emotional state to the success of one driver or another.