- - - - -

British GP @ Silverstone thread

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 482 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 14:35

Its Wednesday afternoon on the run up to the British GP and I can't see a thread. 

Are standards slipping? Are is it just my eyesight that's going down hill?!

Advertisement

#2 CARLO55AINZ

CARLO55AINZ

• 112 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 14:39

It might be due to the inevitable result in the MercedesAMGF1 championship.

#3 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:18

I think it has something to do with the fact that the OP for so many threads, can be very intimidating. Detailed and insightful, the work of those posters would be hard to match and it makes me wonder where those clever individuals find the time.

#4 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:24

26 Sat 24 Sun Celsius  sunny / overcast no rain... not too hot, so either Mercedes or a lucky RAI

#5 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,601 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:27

Silverstone was cancelled!

Didn't you guys know? 

Hamilton has other plans this weekend   ;)

#6 CARLO55AINZ

CARLO55AINZ

• 112 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:34

Silverstone was cancelled!

Didn't you guys know? 

Hamilton has other plans this weekend   ;)

Actually due to there being zero concerts/fashion/dinner events he is going to settle for driving this weekend.

#7 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:50

If Hamilton goes to a fashion event, would Rosberg still be allowed to race or would that be considered unfair treatment?

Edited by apoka, 01 July 2015 - 16:05.

#8 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 15:54

If Hamilton goes to a fashion event, would Rosberg still a allowed to race or would that be considered unfair treatment?

Good point. Which means we will see a fight for the victory between Williams and Ferrari :lol:

#9 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 16:17

I can't see Mercedes being under any threat here, unless gremlins were to strike.

I hope Ferrari have a better weekend than the last two and Kimi in particular.

Also be very interested to see how good this updated Force India is.

#10 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 16:54

It might be due to the inevitable result in the MercedesAMGF1 championship.

Tell the rest to get their arse's into gear then!

#11 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 16:58

I think it has something to do with the fact that the OP for so many threads, can be very intimidating. Detailed and insightful, the work of those posters would be hard to match and it makes me wonder where those clever individuals find the time.

I could do with less huge, try-hard, 'humorous' OP's to be honest. Track map with DRS zones, relevant news bits, and maybe some reference times from the previous year is all we need and we can get to the discussing.

#12 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,712 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 17:10

Here's something to discuss. Hamilton, after last year, is complaining about the cheap tat that gets called a 'trophy' they get handed at each race. Most of it is cheap tat and/or is sponsor related (eg Santander, there's nothing special about a cheap bit of tat that's basically just plastic modelling of the Santander logo which is the same at numerous races). I agree with him. Get rid of cheap tat that in some cases gets handed out at multiple events and give them actual proper trophies that aren't sponsor influenced and aren't just cheap tat. If you see the Australian GP trophies, you know it's Australia because it's memorable in that it's not cheap tat and actually looks decent. If you see a Santander piece of tat, it could be from any number of races, because they're all cheap sponsor tat.

#13 Norm

Norm

• 573 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 17:16

"We just need to make better trophies - it’s shocking how bad the trophies are," he is quoted as saying by The Telegraph.

"The trophies are as good as... at go kart level, it was really bad. Formula Renault was just little boxes with a car in the middle. Formula Three was good, and at the beginning of my Formula One career the trophies were really good. But now they are just terrible man. They are so bad. I told Bernie [Ecclestone] and he got the trophy guy in the room and I just said, ‘you know’."

He added: "Last year they gave me this plastic thing and I’m like, ‘This is not the trophy, it’s like a GP2 trophy, not the Formula One trophy. The gold one is really special. It would be great if each country had a real trophy like that, with character that grew over the years because of the history. I don’t know why they don’t make them the same any more."

My opinion is that there are far more important things to worry about than the quality of trophy.

#14 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 17:43

My opinion is that there are far more important things to worry about than the quality of trophy.

And we know he can only "worry" about one thing at a time.  :evil:  /sarcasm

I'm sure it's not consumed every fibre of his being since he said these things last year.....

#15 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 17:50

Has the wind damage to the pit building been fixed?

#16 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,125 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 17:53

It's mostly just a matter of keeping a notepad document handy and writing in it each time something funny crosses your mind. When the ideas hit critical mass, roll 'em out into a thread with a few snarky dissertations on recent events and voila: opening post.

Though in my case it's closer to the traditional scenario of the line between comedy and tragedy being murky enough to make the BP oil spill jealous, more or less... escapism, thou art a double-edged sword.

#17 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 17:57

Press conference tomorrow

Bottas
Button
Ericsson
Maldonado
Raikkonen
Stevens

Strange that Hamilton is not invited in the press conference of his own home race. As a current world champion and championship leader even more odd....maybe he have tomorrow a fashion show :lol:

#18 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 17:59

"We just need to make better trophies - it’s shocking how bad the trophies are," he is quoted as saying by The Telegraph.

"The trophies are as good as... at go kart level, it was really bad. Formula Renault was just little boxes with a car in the middle. Formula Three was good, and at the beginning of my Formula One career the trophies were really good. But now they are just terrible man. They are so bad. I told Bernie [Ecclestone] and he got the trophy guy in the room and I just said, ‘you know’."

He added: "Last year they gave me this plastic thing and I’m like, ‘This is not the trophy, it’s like a GP2 trophy, not the Formula One trophy. The gold one is really special. It would be great if each country had a real trophy like that, with character that grew over the years because of the history. I don’t know why they don’t make them the same any more."

Exactly how much time do you think he worried about it?

Are you essentially saying he shouldnt be talking about trophys? Anything else he's not allowed to talk about? Music, cars, hobbies, interests, freindships, the weather?

Once racing is gone all you have are the memories and trophys, I spent a year club racing I maanged to get 3 fantasic trophys and I absolutly treasure them!

#19 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,907 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 18:19

The quality of the throphies is perfectly in line with the quality of racing, tracks and Formula 1 in general.

Advertisement

#20 DS27

DS27

• 4,674 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 18:26

Hope no one is travelling to watch this from the continent planning to come in to Dover due to the gridlocked roads in the South East thanks to my great friends the French, who have resulted in yet another 90 minute journey home from work taking over 5 hours.

#21 f1supreme

f1supreme

• 2,828 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 18:30

And we know he can only "worry" about one thing at a time.  :evil:  /sarcasm

I'm sure it's not consumed every fibre of his being since he said these things last year.....

exactly,he said the same last year,,,

#22 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 18:36

The quality of the throphies is perfectly in line with the quality of racing, tracks and Formula 1 in general.

Oh thats pretty unfair for the trophies :lol:

#23 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 19:00

Didn't they dig out the proper British GP cup last year after Lewis declined the plastic Santander crap trophy?  

If you win Indy, you get that massive silver cup.  Imagine if the winners of the football Cup Final got given a styrofoam cup with a logo drawn on it in felt tip pen.  Would they be pleased?

If anyone else had said this, there would be universal agreement, bit it was Lewis so.........

#24 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 19:12

The trophies were sooooo much better when Lewis started in F1... /s

epa03391501-winner-british-formula-one-d

#25 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,502 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 19:32

Looking forward to this, sort of

The midfield is due a shakeup, with Toro Rosso, Force India and McLaren all with upgrades. Is this McLaren's final chance to turn their season around? Embarrassment here will not go down well.

Lewis on home turf :up:

The eternal hope that Ferrari can get amongst the Mercs.

However, once again Pirelli have gone way too conservative. Hamilton could've made it last year on a one stop, and this year it seems tyre management is even more severe, so at Silverstone of all places, fast flowing corners that demand grip, we're going to have lacklustre low-grip Pirellis that just hand the initiative to Mercedes?

It would've been interesting had the 30°C temps stayed around, but we're going to fall into the mid 20s come Sunday, so...

RANDOM THUNDERSTORM PLEASE F1 WEATHERHUMAN :clap:

Edited by TomNokoe, 01 July 2015 - 19:32.

#26 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,807 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 21:05

no rain forecasted for the race on Sunday if going by BBC forecast

#27 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 21:05

During the winter months, I had been hopeful that by the Brit GP McLaren-Honda would have their program on track. At this point, I would just like to see the cars stay on track (and running) for the duration of the race.

#28 Norm

Norm

• 573 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 22:13

Exactly how much time do you think he worried about it?

Are you essentially saying he shouldnt be talking about trophys? Anything else he's not allowed to talk about? Music, cars, hobbies, interests, freindships, the weather?

Once racing is gone all you have are the memories and trophys, I spent a year club racing I maanged to get 3 fantasic trophys and I absolutly treasure them!

Some people need a gold star next to their name to feel complete, others could give two shits about shiny things.

Trophies were an issue for him while at Macca. Last year he came off as a spolit brat complaining about the trophies and now this year again. He even took it a step further and got Bernie to talk to the trophy supplier. Seriously?!

I played competive hockey for years and while I was fortunate to amass a fair amount of tropies and medals they are in storage and have been for years. I don't really care for them. It is the memories I care about. As long as I have my memories that is all that matters. If my memory goes - looking at a bunch of shiny or dusty trophies isn't going to mean ****.

Edited by Norm, 01 July 2015 - 22:15.

#29 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 22:17

What Time Does Kanye Go On?

Jp

#30 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 22:24

You are getting wound up over nothing. 

#31 Norm

Norm

• 573 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 22:28

You are getting wound up over nothing. 

Your man Hamilton is the one getting worked up about nothing.

#32 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 22:33

Well there you go, you have something in common with him then. 

Oh, and he is not my man  :lol:

I don't normally dislike Kanye's music. But that was woeful. I am glad I didn't see the full version (Suede were top-notch though)

#33 Samhain

Samhain

• 163 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 22:33

So you would be happy to recieve a trophy like this http://i4.mirror.co....eat-Britain.jpg instead of this http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/23/article-2237309-0562E832000005DC-714_634x416.jpg

#34 Muzzyf1

Muzzyf1

• 1,448 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 22:37

So looking forward to this race !

#35 ANF

ANF

• 29,055 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 22:50

#36 Norm

Norm

• 573 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 23:22

Well there you go, you have something in common with him then. 

Oh, and he is not my man  :lol:

I don't normally dislike Kanye's music. But that was woeful. I am glad I didn't see the full version (Suede were top-notch though)

and even you. Suede were fantastic.

#37 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:33

Regarding the discussion about the trophies. I think this one would be pretty cool :rotfl:

tumblr_lqcl75m2Tv1qkqupno1_500.jpg

#38 BlurryTextures

BlurryTextures

• 12 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:00

Hamilton is 100% right about the trophies. I mean, we are forced to see the Santander logo one thousand times in every part of the circuit. It's ok, they are the main sponsor, but a trophy shaped like the Santander logo?? That's just stupid, the trophy is an object intended for the drivers/teams. It's not like they're gonna convince Lewis to put his millions in a Santander bank.

Edited by BlurryTextures, 02 July 2015 - 06:03.

#39 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:23

For the opening a preview (via AMuS)

Track length: 5.891 km
Laps : 52
Race distance: 306.198 km
Lap record: 1:33.401 min (Mark Webber, 2013) .

Pole record: 1:29.607 min (Lewis Hamilton, 2013)
Number of corners: 18 (8 left ,10 right)
Distance pole to turn 1: 420 meters
Length pit lane:  460 meters
Longest straight: 1034 meters (Hangar Straight)
DRS zone : 2 (prior to T6 and T15)
Top speed : 311 km / h
Brake load : low
Engine load : low
Tire load : high
Fuel consumption : Medium
Overtaking : Medium

Set Up

Because of the many fast and medium-speed corners the cars needed downforce. The straights are too short, as the additional air resistance would cause greater damage. A stable car brings in the fast corners lap time. In particular, the front axle has to stick to the asphalt. Understeer is hurting the drivers in the changes of direction in the high-speed sections .

To improve aerodynamic stability, the engineers usually choose a firm, deep chassis. The factor of travel for good traction or driving over curbs is rather unimportant. However, despite new -laid asphalt in many places even minor bumps are on the circuit. The brakes are hardly loaded in England. On the contrary, between Stowe and Luffield the driver has 40 seconds almost continuously on the gas. Here the engineers have to ensure that the carbon Stopper is not cooling to much.

Updates

Because downforce at Silverstone is clearly more important than on the cirucits previously, we expect several teams with aerodynamic updates. Already in testing after the Austria Gp we could see some of the new components - such as the unusual Force India-front section, which is part of the B-version of the VJM08. McLaren have  a new front wing and new exterior mirrors to come. The other teams have not announced anything.

The Favorites

Many curves, high tire wear, excessive heat - that sounds almost like Malaysia. And there 's where Sebastian Vettel has won. But it's not that simple. But at least we can assume that the Ferrari should be a bit closer to Mercedes as in the last 3 races. A bet against the Silver Arrows, we would not go, however .

Because of the track characteristics, we expect Williams again significantly weaker than Ferrari. Lotus and Force India also should not show off quite as strong as yet in Spielberg. For Force India, however, a question mark still hovers behind the big update package. If the simulations have something to say, however, Nico Hulkenberg can look forward to a great leap forward .

We expect the two Red Bull teams slightly stronger than the last races. The weak Renault engine makes itself at Silverstone not as a negative impact. The same also applies to McLaren and Honda. But the team travelled already with worry lines in their home game: The engine of Fernando Alonso has been damaged in a crash in Spielberg. In order not to risk further punishment they will resort to an old engine Honda .

Edited by Marklar, 02 July 2015 - 08:53.

Advertisement

#40 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:29

Cant be fagged to go this year .... LH has already won so boring ... and if he doesnt win it will be a let down for me

+ After watching the odd instance of racist abuse  being directed to LH in past years (the reaction to him screwing up quali in 2008 springs to mind) it is really heartening to see how much he has been taken to hearts of an initially sceptical British Racing public ... but a few years ago acceptance/fandom turned into adoration which last year reached worship levels .... cant imagine how puke inducing it might get this year.... so it will be close to sucking if he wins and it will be a downer if he loses.

So Wimbledon this year... 

What I really wanted to go see was formula E this year ..... which I'm really surprised  by.... maybe its just cause its a new thing. but it reminds me that for me F1 is not so much a about the racing (which has never been great) as about the event as a whole - which is the best there is out there - or was out there while the sound of the cars was still a draw to a live event. 

#41 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:40

Like qualfying last year where this forum was down to tears? :lol:

#42 wonk123

wonk123

• 1,658 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:02

Jp

Don't be so mean to "the greatest living rockstar on the planet!"

#43 robefc

robefc

• 13,533 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:40

Sorry jjcale, me and my mum will be amongst those creating vomit inducing scenes by cheering (and hooting!) for Lewis! :-)

As an aside, last year I found the fact you could hear the crowd cheering above the engine sound brilliant.

#44 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:43

I am not anticipating an exciting race. The Mercs will walk it, there won't be any exploding tyres to liven it up, and I'm sure even Kimi will behave at the start. 

My only hope is that the UK Met office's prediction of light rain around the start time might come to fruition... http://www.metoffice...Time=1436054400

Edit: Now Sky saying rain is possible on Sunday too http://www1.skysport.../12522/9900850?

Edited by Kristian, 02 July 2015 - 08:51.

#45 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,221 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:06

Tell the rest to get their arse's into gear then!

I am sure they would if they had the ability to test, develop their engines or even know just how fast the Mercedes engine/chassis combination is. Personally I am dreading this weekend, as are the kids, we reckon it will be nowhere near as good as Croft last weekend. Please please please let me be wrong!

#46 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,085 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:30

Well I'm getting excited! Getting packed & ready to roll. Silverstone pit lane walk awaits me:)

#47 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,440 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:31

He should be shot for spoiling a classic. This kanye fella i mean. 

#48 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,440 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:32

Well I'm getting excited! Getting packed & ready to roll. Silverstone pit lane walk awaits me:)

Race over by lap 2 i think 

#49 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,085 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:37

Race over by lap 2 i think

I expect it to be tight between the silver arrows but there are chances here to overtake on track or through strategy so don't think it will be that easy.

#50 robefc

robefc

• 13,533 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:59

@_markgallagher: Sunday could be interesting #F1 http://t.co/eG2Bc9Cprl