- - - - -

Going to Monza, any hints?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 23:22

I'll spend the month of September studying in Firenze, thinking of atending to the race with my wife.

Our idea would be to sleep in Milano 5/6 of September, watch the race and then a train back to Firenze the same day.

How is transportation from Milano to the track & back? 

Better a hotel around the track? Which one?

What tickets should I buy?

Is the whole experience wife friendly?

Rent a car to go there?

TIA,

Ricardo

Advertisement

#2 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:49

I went in 2009 - they lay on a free train from Milan to Monza. Its packed, but efficient. So you can probably prebook a train to Florence from Milan for Sunday evening, though hanging out at the track soaking up the post-race atmosphere with the tifosi is also fun. 

In Milan I stayed in a hostel for 20 Euro a night, but you probably won't want to do that. Staying in Milan though is a much better option than Monza. 

General admission gets pretty good views, but I went on the back straight down to the Parabolica - there were screens to watch, great atmosphere and didn't cost that much (130 Euros back in '09). 

Yep, the experience should be wife friendly. Just don't let her loose in Milan with your credit card ;)

I spent the whole weekend using public transport with absolutely no problem, so no need for a car. Also then you don't have to contend with italian traffic!

#3 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:11

I've watched the race from grandstands 5 (I think it was that one anyway) and 6b. 6b was about 100 euros more expensive. If you were able to go on the Friday as well, your ticket would give you access to pretty much anywhere on the circuit, which is excellent. If you can afford a seat, get one as the general admission areas fill up very early and you might find yourself without a decent place to watch the race.

6b you see more action into the first chicance but also appreciate the top speed whereas grandstand 5 was more about seeing the cars flying past at 200mph and exiting the pits. Got to see lots of practice starts which was pretty cool.

As said, a free train is available on race day from Milano Centrale. Be mindful that it is packed after the race so allow yourself lots of time as you might not be able to get onto the first few trains which leave.

We stayed nearer the San Siro the first time we went and took a tram to Garibaldi station for the Friday / Saturday Monza train. The second time stayed right in the middle of the city, which was more expensive but overall, easier and less tiring.

Edited by Jon83, 02 July 2015 - 09:12.

#4 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,085 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:26

I went last year & am going again this time. Went with tour company so can't give any advice on travel but you must go.... it's awesome! Toilets are fairly primitive but there's a good "ladies" in the car park of the Ferrari dealership that your wife might want to look out for!

#5 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,907 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:31

How is transportation from Milano to the track & back? 

Very good. Only if it's hot, it can be very warm in the packed bussen from trainstation to circuit.

What tickets should I buy?

I was at the inside of turn 1 on the middle stand. Don't know what's it called nowadays, but it was a great spot! The best I've been compared to all other races. You see them a top speed and then breaking very hard for the 1st chicane. At the end of the race you can climb over the old oval and run to the podium ceremony.

Is the whole experience wife friendly?

Yes.

Rent a car to go there?

No. Use trains and busses. All free, and great atmosphere 'cause they're full of race fans.

#6 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:08

It's incredible! I booked a 3 day grandstand ticket at turn 1 but ended up running around the GA areas most of the time.
Stay in milan (I could only imagine how expensive monza is).
You don't have to catch the free train as tickets are pretty cheap anyway. At monza station buy a bus ticket, the stop is over the road.

Edited by goldenboy, 02 July 2015 - 10:10.

#7 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:20

The buses from Monza station to the circuit entrance are free anyway (or at least they were in 2010 and 11)

#8 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,221 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:45

Did you use a company or book flights, hotels, and tickets separately??

#9 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:01

Thanks everyone. Seems vaible then, will talk to my wife.

@F1matt: we do everything ourselves. We are travel agents' nightmare, research a lot and they rarely can match the deals we find.

My wife finds, that is.

#10 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:02

@mods, thaks for moving it. I was trying to find this under RC as a sub-thread. Thought this had been disabled.

#11 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:27

Did you use a company or book flights, hotels, and tickets separately??

I booked my tickets on monza.net and arranged flights (easyjet / ryanair from Glasgow / Edinburgh) and hotel separately as easy enough to do and I felt it allowed flexibility for when I wanted to arrive / leave the circuit. Don't get me wrong, a nice air-conditioned coach to and from Milan would have been nice but would have meant having to stick to a schedule, which I wasn't interested in.

If I was visiting a circuit which didn't have a major city next to it and a fair amount of travel was involved, I might be tempted to book a package which includes all transfers etc

#12 TIPO61

TIPO61

• 598 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 22:00

Breathe REAL DEEP!

Take in as much of it as you can.

You'll remember it for the rest of your life.

It's a Spectacular place and a helluva race.

Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy.

Don't forget to Enjoy!

#13 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:56

Track # 7 

https://en.m.wikiped...Milano_Centrale

Edited by jonpollak, 03 July 2015 - 05:00.

#14 KjetilS

KjetilS

• 23 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:56

Read the Italian GP 2013 thread. There are a lot of info there.

http://forums.autosp...italian-gp-2013

#15 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:56

Thank you all guys for the help.

So we're going for Sunday only. Will sleep at Milano on Saturday and leave the luggage in storage at Milano Centrale for the round trip to the track. Hope that part goes well. Then back to Firenze.

#16 taz

taz

• 554 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 00:23

I'm thinking about going to Monza this year by car, about 1000km from Belgium to Italy

but i'd prefer staying in a hotel/hostel for the weekend in Milan and then drive to the track with my car. Or is it better to stay on a camping?

i guess there's much traffic from Monza to Milan every morning/evening?

#17 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 13:43

If you're staying in Milan it would be easier and probably less stressful to take the train to Monza.

#18 F1Destinations

F1Destinations

• 12 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 20:00

Went last year, and was hands down the best Grand Prix I have been to in many years (and I go to lots of races). Just go while it is still on the calendar...

Check out the ten-part travel guide which I wrote for the event: http://f1destination...1-travel-guide/

Also wrote up my experience for Expedia: http://thingstodo.ex...ured-story-2430

#19 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:40

I bought an electronic ticket from monzanet. Am I correct in understanding that I have to go to pick up my real ticket from "CENTRO ACCREDITI" as it says here? http://www.monzanet....editi biglietti

If Google translate is to be believed, if I want to pick up my ticket on Thursday(and I want to go to Pitlane walk on Thursday), I can pick up my ticket only from CENTRO ACCREDITI c/o AUTOPISANI, the only accreditation center that works on Thursday? Is that right? Or am I completely misunderstanding it and the electronic ticket is sufficient? Damn, I wish I spoke Italian.

Edited by rasul, 05 August 2015 - 11:40.

Advertisement

#20 kozmo

kozmo

• 135 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 16:54

My two cents..

I attended the race with my wife in 2013).

Except for perhaps my first in person race (2000 at Indianapolis) it was my favorite of the 12 races I have attended in US, Canada and Europe.

We stayed in Milan at a hotel virtually across the street Milano Centrale so it was an easy stroll to catch the train. You don't need tickets for the tree train to Monza so don't waste time looking for them (like we did :drunk:). Just go up to the platforms and look for the huge crowd of folks dressed just like you in the kit of their favorite F1 team and join the scrum to board the trains as they arrive approx 30 mins apart.

The Sunday trains go directly to the track and drop you outside of the Lesmos.

Definitely walk around see as much of the track as you can. There are lots of places you can get pretty close to the cars as they go by.  I loved watching them come screaming up to Seconda Variante, hard on the brakes and then back on the power as they headed off to the Lesmos. So cool.

People watch.

Enjoy the crazy joy that is the post race ceremony on the main straight, the sea of Ferrari red and huge flags.  So great.

Try not to rush off too quickly after the race if you can take the time. Definitely walk the track and go down to see the old banking by the Parabolica.  Amazing to imagine the old cars on the unbelievably steep banking. 

In closing....

TIPO61 had great advice:

Breathe REAL DEEP!

Take in as much of it as you can.

You'll remember it for the rest of your life.

It's a Spectacular place and a helluva race.

Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy.

#21 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:15

I was there in 2006 to see Lewis with the GP2 championship and Schumacher's first retirement announcement. If you get a seat at either the first chicane or the one on the back straight, remember that there's a fairly short walk between the two, so you can flit between them even during a session and get some great trackside pictures with two views of the action. The circuit is in the middle of a royal park, so it's a beautiful and well maintained area, and the general enthusiasm from all those attending is quite heady and intoxicating - I have only good memories of the whole weekend.

Can't talk about the transport situation as we were bussed in from Bergamo each day by the tour company.

#22 nugat

nugat

• 114 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:16

I bought an electronic ticket from monzanet. Am I correct in understanding that I have to go to pick up my real ticket from "CENTRO ACCREDITI" as it says here? http://www.monzanet....editi biglietti

No, as I understand it the E-ticket is your real ticket. There's a barcode on the E-ticket which will be scanned by the security staff when you enter the circuit.

I'm not sure about the pit-lane walkabout however as I've never been to one, I would presume as long as you have your E-ticket with you you'll be okay.

The E-tickets are great IMO, I always worried about loosing my issued tickets in the past but now if that happens I can just print out another :yawnface:

Edit : says on the following page that the pit lane walkabout is open for *3 day ticket holders*, so as long as your E-ticket is a three day one (Fri, Sat, Sun) you'll be able to get in.

http://www.monzanet....to programma EN

Double Edit : This page confirms that you the E-ticket is your real ticket.

http://www.monzanet....to e privacy EN

Electronic ticket - Orders placed before 17 December 2014 are sent as a .pdf file in the e-mail box provided during the registration to the website.
Orders placed after that date have to be downloaded from the personal account and printed.

The file is your ticket already, you do not need to stop at the ticket booth to pick up.

It is recommended not to resize the ticket while printing it (the bar code would be illegible).

Edited by nugat, 11 August 2015 - 10:24.

#23 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 21:40

No, as I understand it the E-ticket is your real ticket. There's a barcode on the E-ticket which will be scanned by the security staff when you enter the circuit.

I'm not sure about the pit-lane walkabout however as I've never been to one, I would presume as long as you have your E-ticket with you you'll be okay.

Thanks a lot, mate! That's a relief. 

Does anyone know if it's easier to get to the grandstand 6C(1st turn) from Monza station or from Biassono-Lesmo station? I've heard it would be a lot faster to get to 6C from the Lesmo corner. Is that right? I hope it is, because we're staying on Lake Como (Lecco) and the Biassono-Lesmo station is actually closer to our hotel than the Monza station. 

But the thing is, despite Biassono-Lesmo being closer to Lecco, the train from Lecco to Biassono-Lesmo is slower( it takes 1 hour) while the train from Lecco to Monza is faster (it takes only 32-42 minutes). So the train ride to Monza is actually faster, but I've heard the walk from the Monza station to the circuit is a lot longer than from the Biassono-Lesmo station. 

It looks like Biassono-Lesmo station is right next to the circuit while you have to take a bus from the Monza station and walk more than a mile after that. Is that correct?

Edited by rasul, 11 August 2015 - 21:58.

#24 nugat

nugat

• 114 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 13:59

Thanks a lot, mate! That's a relief. 

Does anyone know if it's easier to get to the grandstand 6C(1st turn) from Monza station or from Biassono-Lesmo station? I've heard it would be a lot faster to get to 6C from the Lesmo corner. Is that right? I hope it is, because we're staying on Lake Como (Lecco) and the Biassono-Lesmo station is actually closer to our hotel than the Monza station. 

But the thing is, despite Biassono-Lesmo being closer to Lecco, the train from Lecco to Biassono-Lesmo is slower( it takes 1 hour) while the train from Lecco to Monza is faster (it takes only 32-42 minutes). So the train ride to Monza is actually faster, but I've heard the walk from the Monza station to the circuit is a lot longer than from the Biassono-Lesmo station. 

It looks like Biassono-Lesmo station is right next to the circuit while you have to take a bus from the Monza station and walk more than a mile after that. Is that correct?

Yes that's correct, from Monza train station there are shuttle buses (the black line) running between the station and Monza park. The buses cost 4 euro for a return ticket and especially on Friday when the traffic is bad can take 20 minutes or more to get there. The shuttle bus drops you off at the entrance to Monza park where it's a ~40 minute walk to the actual circuit (pit straight) from the pit straight it's another 15-20 minute walk to grandstand 6C.

It sounds terrible but it's actually not that bad, the shuttle bus can get a little uncomforatable but the walk is nice as the park itself is a beautiful place. Plus if you're going on a Friday with a three day ticket you can sit in any grandstand so it's good to sit on the pit straight for one of the practice sessions as you get to see the pits.

If you can get a train direct to Biassono-Lesmo it should certainly be a quicker way to get to granstand 6C. However on Sunday there are special trains which take people directly between Biassono-Lesmo and Milan, this means that after the race Biassono-Lesmo gets extremely busy. It would be worth double checking that trains are running between como and Biassono-Lesmo on Sunday as the amount of people trying to get back to Milan after the race means you may have to queue for a long time just to get on the platform. It might be quicker just to walk back to the shuttle bus and go via Monza after the race.

I stay in Bergamo which is roughly the same distance from Monza as Como. I allow 2 hours for the journey so I make sure I'm leaving Bergamo at 8am to be in time for the 10am 1st practice session :)

Will be interested to hear what you think about staying in Lecco. We usually take a day trip there after the race, it's a beatiful place!

#25 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 14:43

Yes that's correct, from Monza train station there are shuttle buses (the black line) running between the station and Monza park. The buses cost 4 euro for a return ticket and especially on Friday when the traffic is bad can take 20 minutes or more to get there. The shuttle bus drops you off at the entrance to Monza park where it's a ~40 minute walk to the actual circuit (pit straight) from the pit straight it's another 15-20 minute walk to grandstand 6C.

It sounds terrible but it's actually not that bad, the shuttle bus can get a little uncomforatable but the walk is nice as the park itself is a beautiful place. Plus if you're going on a Friday with a three day ticket you can sit in any grandstand so it's good to sit on the pit straight for one of the practice sessions as you get to see the pits.

If you can get a train direct to Biassono-Lesmo it should certainly be a quicker way to get to granstand 6C. However on Sunday there are special trains which take people directly between Biassono-Lesmo and Milan, this means that after the race Biassono-Lesmo gets extremely busy. It would be worth double checking that trains are running between como and Biassono-Lesmo on Sunday as the amount of people trying to get back to Milan after the race means you may have to queue for a long time just to get on the platform. It might be quicker just to walk back to the shuttle bus and go via Monza after the race.

I stay in Bergamo which is roughly the same distance from Monza as Como. I allow 2 hours for the journey so I make sure I'm leaving Bergamo at 8am to be in time for the 10am 1st practice session :)

Will be interested to hear what you think about staying in Lecco. We usually take a day trip there after the race, it's a beatiful place!

OK, thanks! I think I'm going to take the train to Monza on Thursday for the pit walk and see the park, and then take the train to Biassono-Lesmo on Friday-Sunday. Hmm, I will have to think about the return train on Sunday. I know Biassono-Lesmo will be crowded as hell on Sunday, but hopefully there won't be that many people taking the train to Lecco. 

Yeah, Lecco looks really beautiful from photos--that's why I picked it over a loud busy city like Milan. Bergamo was one of the options as well, but the wife wanted a hotel on Lake Como, so Lecco it is. :)

#26 nugat

nugat

• 114 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:56

OK, thanks! I think I'm going to take the train to Monza on Thursday for the pit walk and see the park, and then take the train to Biassono-Lesmo on Friday-Sunday. Hmm, I will have to think about the return train on Sunday. I know Biassono-Lesmo will be crowded as hell on Sunday, but hopefully there won't be that many people taking the train to Lecco. 

Yeah, Lecco looks really beautiful from photos--that's why I picked it over a loud busy city like Milan. Bergamo was one of the options as well, but the wife wanted a hotel on Lake Como, so Lecco it is. :)

The problem is actually getting onto the tiny platform at Biassono-Lesmo, I've not been that way for a few years but assuming it hasn't changed there will be police controlling the crowds and they only let people onto the platform when a train arrives. A sensible decision as with the crowds pushing from the back everybody at the front would end up on the tracks  :eek: 

If there are trains going to Lecco then you'd either have to be pretty lucky to be on the platform when one comes past, or try to convince the police that you're one of the few people that isn't going to Milan.

Monza station is okay in this respect, it's a big station and it has multiple platforms. Even on race day there's room for everyone. Whatever you do make sure you get return tickets in the morning as you don't want to be rushing to get to the ticket machine on the return journey :yawnface:

If you have an Android device I can recommend getting the 'Train Timetable Italy PRO' app. It lets to search, view and save train timeables. I've found it invaluable for planning trips, it saves a lot of time and hassle.

#27 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:34

The problem is actually getting onto the tiny platform at Biassono-Lesmo, I've not been that way for a few years but assuming it hasn't changed there will be police controlling the crowds and they only let people onto the platform when a train arrives. A sensible decision as with the crowds pushing from the back everybody at the front would end up on the tracks  :eek:

If there are trains going to Lecco then you'd either have to be pretty lucky to be on the platform when one comes past, or try to convince the police that you're one of the few people that isn't going to Milan.

Monza station is okay in this respect, it's a big station and it has multiple platforms. Even on race day there's room for everyone. Whatever you do make sure you get return tickets in the morning as you don't want to be rushing to get to the ticket machine on the return journey :yawnface:

If you have an Android device I can recommend getting the 'Train Timetable Italy PRO' app. It lets to search, view and save train timeables. I've found it invaluable for planning trips, it saves a lot of time and hassle.

Thanks a lot, mate. I'll download the app. Was looking for something like that.

I'm thinking of purchasing a 7-day public transport pass in Lombardia region, so that I don't have to worry about buying train tickets. Seems more convenient and maybe even cheaper(I suspect the wife will end up dragging me to Milan every day for shopping trips :D ).

Edited by rasul, 13 August 2015 - 12:48.

#28 nugat

nugat

• 114 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 14:28

Thanks a lot, mate. I'll download the app. Was looking for something like that.

I'm thinking of purchasing a 7-day public transport pass in Lombardia region, so that I don't have to worry about buying train tickets. Seems more convenient and maybe even cheaper(I suspect the wife will end up dragging me to Milan every day for shopping trips :D ).

Cheers, yeah the pass looks like a good idea if you're going to be spending a couple of days travelling around in addition to the GP.

#29 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:16

Thanks for the help guys, the train worked very well. We were at parabolica so the lengthiest possible walk was included. And that was a good thing, a very nice stroll.

#30 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,381 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 20:22

Thanks for the help guys, the train worked very well. We were at parabolica so the lengthiest possible walk was included. And that was a good thing, a very nice stroll.

Which station did you go to?  We got the train to Monza and then the bus to the circuit but still had a nice 15 or so minute walk through the park to the main entrance where the village was.  We also sat near the Parabolica, in stand 24, Vedano.  

#31 yannicksamlad

yannicksamlad

• 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 13:58

2016 experience - you can buy all the train tickets online ( in the UK ) for Milan-Monza or Biassono Lesmo, print them off and take them. And yes, from Monza station it's quite a journey to the track ( shuttle bus , and a long walk from drop off ) . Biassono-Lesmo was very close (but yes on race day it was very crowded for the return ). And you need to pick the correct station in Milan to leave from; Fri and Sat we had to go to a different station in Milan ( Porta Garibaldi)  to go to Biassono, whereas on Sunday we went there from Milan Centrale. Centrale trains went to Monza station on Fri and Sat.

Toilets are portaloos with no running water ( be prepared) , food prices go up on race day , best to get a map early showing the paths for walking inside the track as they're not super obvious showing where you're going, and there were people in the grandstand without tickets  (so a bit of tension there, and one fight) . Buy a cheap foam cushion for metal seats in the stands ( stalls just outside the track sell them very cheap) , and take some sun protection!

There are some great views, I enjoyed it 

Edited by yannicksamlad, 12 January 2017 - 14:08.

#32 mangeliiito

mangeliiito

• 1,039 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:49

Toilets are portaloos with no running water ( be prepared) , food prices go up on race day , best to get a map early showing the paths for walking inside the track as they're not super obvious showing where you're going, and there were people in the grandstand without tickets (so a bit of tension there, and one fight) . Buy a cheap foam cushion for metal seats in the stands ( stalls just outside the track sell them very cheap) , and take some sun protection!

There are some great views, I enjoyed it

There is some toilets with running water, but it tends to run out in the afternoon. And bring your own paper, beacuse when it runs out it doesn't get refilled. But if you don't mind walking (depends on where you sit) the toilets outside the more expensive grandstands was kept in a nice condition all the way through.

#33 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,658 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 20:22

Disorganised chaos, if you're from an orderly country the lack of organisation will drive you mad. 

#34 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,230 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 19:57

It's quite a shock compared to Silverstone, that's for sure. I had a great time though. Best atmosphere of any race I can recall.

#35 worsic

worsic

• 42 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:23

Disorganised chaos, if you're from an orderly country the lack of organisation will drive you mad. 

This. Italians and organisation is some next level **** :D But the atmosphere is something really special! Worth going.