Photo

Norman Surtees

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tonupdave

tonupdave

• 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:48

Can anybody tell me what happened to Norman Surtees brother of John the last time I saw him was at Crystal Palace... I have a photo I took of him on a Bultaco ( I think ) sometime in the late fifties?  he had a crash helmet the same as John white with Blue stripe. I have not seen or heard mention of him at all since that period........I'm sure someone out there knows...... :confused:

T.U.D.

Advertisement

#2 funformula

funformula

• 515 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 20:17

Can anybody tell me what happened to Norman Surtees brother of John the last time I saw him was at Crystal Palace... I have a photo I took of him on a Bultaco ( I think ) sometime in the late fifties?  he had a crash helmet the same as John white with Blue stripe. I have not seen or heard mention of him at all since that period........I'm sure someone out there knows...... :confused:

T.U.D.

A little more info here

http://www.vintagebi...s/#.VZmRCVLxXKE

#3 pete53

pete53

• 724 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 22:00

I haven't a clue to his whereabouts now, but he did follow his brother in to car racing in the early 1960s. I seem to recall him racing a Lotus Elite and Lotus23 but nothing much after about 1964/65.

#4 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 00:02

Norman and his family live in Perth, Western Australia and he has built up a large and successful caravan retail business that he runs with his sons. After some years as a resale/retail business they are now tied in with Jayco the caravan manufacturer and have expanded considerably. My understanding is that he and John are not particularly close.
The company is called Caravanland and is in Beckenham, Western Australia if you wish to give him a google.

#5 tonupdave

tonupdave

• 13 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 13:55

Thanks all... just the info I needed I did have the feeling that there was a slight rift between him and John...... :clap:

#6 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 15:33

A few years ago I read a pre TT article in one of the mags from around '61 in which John was reported to have withdrawn Norrman's entry from, I think, the Junior, telling the world that younger bruv was insufficiently inexperienced to tackle the Island.   Around then at least it seems the relationship was more than a bit unequal.  I can recall seeing Norman at Brands and the Palace on an Aermacchi and Bultaco - he was petty quick, but from memory something of a crasher ?

Edited by Russell Burrows, 07 July 2015 - 13:46.