Photo
* * - - - 3 votes

would Hamilton vs Alonso get you excited bout F1 again?

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#1 Waggy

Waggy

• 711 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:45

I was thinking what could re-spark my interest in F1 again.

While Rosberg is fast, I expect Hamilton to beat him and even when they are having a close battle it does not excite me as eventually Hamilton will win.

Do you guys think if Bernie pulled the strings to get Alonso to Mercedes that TV rating would rise again?

Would it get your excitement back?

I do think F1 is really struggling at the moment. I am a livelong fan and I have lost that feeling of excitement.

I can only think Alonso vs Hamilton round 2 would get me excited again, which is sad as F1 feels at the moment like a sequal to a good movie, all the ingrediants are there its just something missing... :|

Advertisement

#2 Brod

Brod

• 1,396 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:56

No matter the state of F1, Alonso vs. Hamilton would always excite. 

But I think F1 needs a more competitive field and not another Star Wars episode. The team-mate battle at Merc is one of the better things of current F1 and just taking that on the next level with Alonso will not solve the other problems. 

#3 Strontiumdog

Strontiumdog

• 162 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:58

maybe not just Alonso V Hamilton

throw in Vettel, RIcciardo, Button and Rosberg with all of them having competitive cars 

#4 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

A battle Alonso vs. Hamilton, Alonso vs. Vettel or Hamilton vs. Vettel would be box office just because they are by quite a margin the most known drivers. It would help of course. Especially Alonso vs. Hamilton because of the story of 2007 and the fact that both are the most selfish (I mean it in a positive way) drivers on the grid.

And I was convinced that Bernie would try to pair one of them if the downfall of F1 continues. But who knows...

The best would be of course if Ferrari and McLaren would been competitive and we would have an three way battle....

Edited by Marklar, 06 July 2015 - 08:59.

#5 brr

brr

• 480 posts

I would love to see Hamilton move back to McLaren and duke it out with Alonso.

#6 redraven9

redraven9

• 614 posts

Never gonna happen. Merc has a reliable guy in Rosberg who can bring the car home 2nd everytime.

But yeah, that would be scary. I feel Alonso would have the measure of Hamilton this year (better starts, way harder to overtake), but you never know.

#7 Waggy

Waggy

• 711 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:59

No matter the state of F1, Alonso vs. Hamilton would always excite. 

But I think F1 needs a more competitive field and not another Star Wars episode. The team-mate battle at Merc is one of the better things of current F1 and just taking that on the next level with Alonso will not solve the other problems. 

I cant get excited by Hamilton vs Rosberg because i feel that 9/10 time Hamilton will win even when Rosberg is faster

#8 SamuraiChris

SamuraiChris

• 13 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:59

No... In honesty.. For anyone outside of Britain... Hamilton is probably the last person you would want to be the current F1 Champion in order to bring people to the sport.... He is rude, obnoxious, disrespectful, and has a fast car under him... He is no Senna, Hunt, Mansell & co that have charisma and charm

If you look at drivers that are naturally talented, and exceed in car craft. Then you have Alonso, Ricciardo.. Even Vettels four Championships were given to him with an unbeatable platform. But with the new cars, he struggled, as he actually had to control them..

#9 Waggy

Waggy

• 711 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:02

A battle Alonso vs. Hamilton, Alonso vs. Vettel or Hamilton vs. Vettel would be box office just because they are by quite a margin the most known drivers. It would help of course. Especially Alonso vs. Hamilton because of the story of 2007 and the fact that both are the most selfish (I mean it in a positive way) drivers on the grid.

And I was convinced that Bernie would try to pair one of them if the downfall of F1 continues. But who knows...

The best would be of course if Ferrari and McLaren would been competitive and we would have an three way battle....

I lost interest in f1 when MSC retired, but the Hamilton vs Alonso battle restarted my interest.  I feel it has to be them two as they are the best in the world, the history between them etc. i'm sure the ratings would rise and would be heaps of mainstream stories?

Edited by Waggy, 06 July 2015 - 09:03.

#10 Strontiumdog

Strontiumdog

• 162 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:05

Never gonna happen. Merc has a reliable guy in Rosberg who can bring the car home 2nd everytime.

But yeah, that would be scary. I feel Alonso would have the measure of Hamilton this year (better starts, way harder to overtake), but you never know.

Not sure about that consodering he's not had the measure of Button, anyway I digress

Hamilton vs Alonso ,  Alonso vs Vettel  and Hamilton vs Vettel (any of the 3 scenarios will be box office) 

Edited by Strontiumdog, 06 July 2015 - 09:06.

#11 redraven9

redraven9

• 614 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:08

Not sure about that cpnsodering he's not had the measure of Button, anyway I digress

Hamilton vs Alonso ,  Alonso vs Vettel  and Hamilton vs Vettel (any of the 3 scenarios will be box office) 

I'm not sure if they are comparable @ McHonda given the state of their car. But yeah, I would pay for Alonso vs Hamilton and Button vs Vettel.

#12 TIFOlonSO

TIFOlonSO

• 478 posts

Yes.

#13 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Alonso V Kimi excited me and look how that worked out (granted the car was a dog)

I'd rather see Ferrari,. RBR etc step up to the mark and challenge Mercedes. Yesterday was clear to me how easy Mercedes currently has it (in terms of winning the race comfortably despite neither driver being on their game)

Edited by Jon83, 06 July 2015 - 09:11.

#14 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:44

Yes, but then so would knowing there are 3-4 teams with a chance of getting pole and winning like in 2010 or 2012.

#15 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 1,868 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:58

Depends on what you are after. If it's racing you are after, the answer is no. If it's fans squabbling and driver political intrigues then yes a Hamilton-Alonso pairing would be box office. Personally 2007 was a big turn off. Who wants things breaking down to the level of racism rather than rising to racing?

#16 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:59

I'd prefer Alonso vs Vettel or Vettel vs Hamilton. That's something we haven't seen. 

#17 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,254 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:03

I'd prefer Alonso in a competitive McLaren vs. Vettel in a competitive Ferrari vs. Lewis in a competitive Merc.

#18 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

• 701 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:08

I am not sure how much influence Bernie has over such decisions... if any at all!  :rolleyes:

But Alonso's qualifying hasn't been that great for a while, that's key when you're team mate is one of the best drivers in F1. I think Hamilton & Vettel are among the best qualifiers at the moment. 

#19 realracer200

realracer200

• 1,753 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:13

Funny just yesterday I was thinking that the last championship season I really enjoyed was the 2007 Hamilton vs Alonso battle. So yeah Hamilton vs Alonso would be exciting and probably the closest thing to Senna-Prost we could get in modern Formula 1.

Advertisement

#20 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:43

I would love to see it. I think they are still the two best drivers in F1 to see them in the same car again would be fantastic. Hamilton is no longer a rookie and Alonso I think has learned from 2007 and would approach a rematch in the right frame of mind.

Shame it won't happen due to Hamilton and Rosberg being signed with Mercedes for the next few years. I don't see Mercedes upsetting the applecart either even if either of them had their contract up for 2016. Rosberg and Hamilton have a very good relationship considering this is their second title battle now. Sure, it's not always been plain sailing but it could be a lot worse.

#21 HP

HP

• 19,631 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:45

I dunno why certain drivers need to paired in the same team to make things in F1 exciting.

Would the McLaren/Honda be further developed, we'd have a nice battle HAM/ALO going on. To me there is not only the driver, but also the team battles.

The irony IMO is, the more they restrict rules, the more loopsided rivaleries are going to be.  No team can put all effort into try to catch up during in season, if a car isn't suitable to one driver, they possibly can't make all the changes required.

Should F1 should collapse, I'd rather want them to go out with a big bang, rather than being starved to death by the rules.

#22 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:45

It would be good to have a title battle with personality. 

I think Alonso vs Vettel would be quite epic, given their history. 

#23 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:49

I would love to see it. I think they are still the two best drivers in F1 to see them in the same car again would be fantastic. Hamilton is no longer a rookie and Alonso I think has learned from 2007 and would approach a rematch in the right frame of mind.

Shame it won't happen due to Hamilton and Rosberg being signed with Mercedes for the next few years. I don't see Mercedes upsetting the applecart either even if either of them had their contract up for 2016. Rosberg and Hamilton have a very good relationship considering this is their second title battle now. Sure, it's not always been plain sailing but it could be a lot worse.

Yep, Mercedes aren't going to want a change. They have a dominant car, two of the best drivers and no sign of the grip they currently have on the sport loosening. Putting Alonso in Vettel in there next to Hamilton would be exciting for sure, but ultimately Mercedes wouldn't really get much more out of it and I'd guess either of those two would cost more than Rosberg does.

#24 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:58

I would be very disappointed if we don't get to see another proper Hamilton v Alonso title fight, whether they're in the same team, or Alonso finds a competitive seat.

But, just HAM v ALO in one team still wouldn't be a huge difference to what we have now. There needs to be more than one team in the mix for championships. The WDC battle in 2014 was great at the time, but it is quickly getting repetitive. Look at 2010 - 5 drivers amongst 3 teams were in the hunt for the WDC, and while the racing that year wasn't the best, the 5-way drama was brilliant. I've got a new found respect for Vettel and would like to see him back in the WDC battle for example.

#25 Waggy

Waggy

• 711 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:11

I am not sure how much influence Bernie has over such decisions... if any at all!  :rolleyes:

But Alonso's qualifying hasn't been that great for a while, that's key when you're team mate is one of the best drivers in F1. I think Hamilton & Vettel are among the best qualifiers at the moment. 

Please explain this?

This is nonsense, he has by far the best qualifying vs teamate numbers than anyone

#26 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,222 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:16

Not sure about that consodering he's not had the measure of Button, anyway I digress

It could be argued Hamilton never had the real measure of Button either. But I digress.

for me, its all about Vettel vs Hamilton. We've seen Alonso vs Hamilton already, it wouldnt have the same fireworks again.

#27 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 2,775 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:17

No... In honesty.. For anyone outside of Britain... Hamilton is probably the last person you would want to be the current F1 Champion in order to bring people to the sport.... He is rude, obnoxious, disrespectful, and has a fast car under him... He is no Senna, Hunt, Mansell & co that have charisma and charm

If you look at drivers that are naturally talented, and exceed in car craft. Then you have Alonso, Ricciardo.. Even Vettels four Championships were given to him with an unbeatable platform. But with the new cars, he struggled, as he actually had to control them..

This is the type of posts which will get the thread locked  :stoned:

All of this from a user who joined today...My spider-sense is tingling.

#28 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:25

Yep, Mercedes aren't going to want a change. They have a dominant car, two of the best drivers and no sign of the grip they currently have on the sport loosening. Putting Alonso in Vettel in there next to Hamilton would be exciting for sure, but ultimately Mercedes wouldn't really get much more out of it and I'd guess either of those two would cost more than Rosberg does.

Actually they could even loose the title if they pair Alonso/Vettel and Hamilton because Rosberg is an uncomplicated and comfortable guy, something the other two (and Lewis) arent and that could cause big problems...

Edited by Marklar, 06 July 2015 - 11:26.

#29 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:27

Actually they could even loose the title if they pair Alonso/Vettel and Hamilton because Rosberg is an uncomplicat and comfortable guy, something the other two (and Lewis) arent and that could cause big problems...

Yeah - I think with the advantage they currently enjoy, it makes no sense from their point of view to change things.

What we need is McLaren, Ferrari, RBR to get their acts together.

#30 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:31

Hamilton is naturally talented. I think suggesting otherwise is pretty laughable. In fact they are all naturally talented, though some are able to extract more than others. IMO, Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel are the current top 3. If you put any of those 2 in the same car, things would be very close.

Having a fast car helps of course although that hasn't always been the case for Hamilton. He's always been at a top team with massive resource, but I don't think he can be criticised because of that.

I'm not a fan of his by any means by the way, although I don't mind him. In fact i like him a lot more since he left McLaren.

In Vettel's case, I'd dispute that the 2012 Championship was given to him - he had to work bloody hard that year. Same in 2010 when you consider the bad luck he had and there were races in 2011 and early 2013 where getting the job done wasn't straightforward. I think you are being disingenuous towards both of them.

Edited by Jon83, 06 July 2015 - 11:33.

#31 Hyatt

Hyatt

• 1,561 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:32

No... In honesty.. For anyone outside of Britain... Hamilton is probably the last person you would want to be the current F1 Champion in order to bring people to the spor

I'm outside of Britain, and in honesty, you couldn't be more wrong ...

#32 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:34

A Hamilton/Alonso duel in Mercedes cars, would definitely be more interesting than what we have now, but it's not a huge upgrade, it's basically the same but with a slightly more interesting personal story and perhaps a slightly fiercer battle on track between the same 2 cars.

What we need is more unpredictability and for that we need more competitive cars, simple. Now as for how to fabricate that in a fair and sporting manner, specially under the current half-frozen tokens system for engines, I have no idea.

#33 Speedoholic

Speedoholic

• 212 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:36

Yeah, which is why 140,000 flocked to Silverstone this past weekend

#34 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:38

And I really don't agree with that neither.

Hamilton's not terribly popular around here (Portugal), but it's not because of his personality, it's because he's British and simply British drivers don't relate as much as Latin drivers do to us. I don't recall Mansell, Damon Hill and Button (the last 3 Brit champions) being any more popular than Hamilton around here at all.

In fact whether you warm up to Hamilton or not (and I'm definitely not a huge fan of all the celeb bullshit), he's still quite the emotional extrovert and that is a plus point in this area of the globe.

Oh and associating Mansell with "charm" is ridiculous, the man had the charm of a potato.  :lol:

Edited by noikeee, 06 July 2015 - 11:40.

#35 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:14

Mansell...

...charisma and charm

:lol:

But seriously...

#36 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:21

Nowadays intra-team battles are restricted; even when they say they let them race, they try to do everything possible for it not to happen. Instead of putting the hope of this sport in the hands of what for some are idols, F1 needs to put competitive cars in the hands of all, or most of, the drivers. The pool of talent in F1 is huge and many of the guys could be taking the fight to VET, HAM, ALO. even better, with as equally matched cars as possible in the field, the likelihood of good racing between these three would be higher than if they were on the same team for the reason stated above. Having said that, especially because of their personalities and the fact that Hamilton is not a rookie anymore, it would be great entertainment at a soap-opera level to see them both in a top team together.

#37 Radion

Radion

• 2,523 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:24

Only if there's drama again like 07. 

#38 viceroy1

viceroy1

• 125 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:25

Yes, but then so would knowing there are 3-4 teams with a chance of getting pole and winning like in 2010 or 2012.

Did you WATCH 2010 mate? If you weren't in the Rb6 you weren't putting it on pole. Wasnt it only 2 races they weren't on pole? Singapore and Brazil? 2012 was more a tyre lottery, especially the first half. People forget but after Singapore when red bull slapped on their last upgrade with the special rear package they walked the asian races

#39 viceroy1

viceroy1

• 125 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:34

It could be argued Hamilton never had the real measure of Button either. But I digress.

for me, its all about Vettel vs Hamilton. We've seen Alonso vs Hamilton already, it wouldnt have the same fireworks again.

Only the most devout Button worshipers could actually argue that Lewis didn't have Jensons number. Button had one short period where he had a patch of better results than Hamilton, and that was the 2nd half of 2011, which even then was more due to Lewis' head dropping than Button stepping up. Anyone who brings up the whole "he score more points over 3 years" nonesense is delusional at best. The McLaren comedy show cost Lewis more than 80 points in 2012 thru reliability failures and pitstop bungles. That 2 point difference at the end of 2012 was a joke, and in NO WAY reflected the difference in performance between them. I'd pay to see Lewis v Alonso again, or better yet, a 3 way title fight between Alonso in Mchonda, Vet in Ferrari and Lewis in Merc... that is something that would definitely get me watching all the sessions again, instaid of tuning in just for q2 and q3 then the race...

Advertisement

#40 cheekybru

cheekybru

• 2,035 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:40

Yeah, which is why 140,000 flocked to Silverstone this past weekend

144,000 actually :clap:

#41 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:46

Hamilton and Alonso going head to head is always exciting, as is Alonso fighting it out with Vettel, or Hamilton having a brawl with Massa like the good old days.

Rosberg is a solid driver, but the two of them put together don't really excite me in any way. That said, it's great for those who do find it appealing that Rosberg has been able to stay so close to Hamilton, at least in the points.

Even Vettels four Championships were given to him with an unbeatable platform.

Indeed, it was so unbeatable that he won two of those titles in the very last race, and then only by a margin smaller than the difference between one 1st and 2nd place. Or maybe that will just confirm those predisposed to dislike Vettel of his inferior skills; who knows! :stoned:

Edited by Nonesuch, 06 July 2015 - 12:47.

#42 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:52

Did you WATCH 2010 mate? If you weren't in the Rb6 you weren't putting it on pole. Wasnt it only 2 races they weren't on pole? Singapore and Brazil?

4 races, actually. There was also Canada and Monza.  4 non-RBR poles is a lot more than the current situation.

Edited by rasul, 06 July 2015 - 12:54.

#43 P123

P123

• 23,842 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:56

It would be good to have a title battle with personality. 

I think Alonso vs Vettel would be quite epic, given their history. 

Indeed, the sunglasses they wear and how they wear their caps in regulation Daily Mail reader approved manner seals that.

#44 P123

P123

• 23,842 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 13:08

I can only think Alonso vs Hamilton round 2 would get me excited again, which is sad as F1 feels at the moment like a sequal to a good movie, all the ingrediants are there its just something missing... :|

The 'something' that is missing is Red Bull and McLaren.  You would have zero of the panic about F1 if these teams and their respective engine suppliers had delivered like Mercedes has.  Ferrari is sort of there.  It's a bit like the early 2000s where Ferrari would regularly show up with the best car, and Williams and McLaren would be scrabbling to match them.  At least we have a 'sort of' fight for the WDC, even if it's not between the drivers all are fans of.

#45 Xeriks

Xeriks

• 1,131 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 13:14

:rotfl:    

#46 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 13:25

Depends on what you are after. If it's racing you are after, the answer is no. If it's fans squabbling and driver political intrigues then yes a Hamilton-Alonso pairing would be box office. Personally 2007 was a big turn off. Who wants things breaking down to the level of racism rather than rising to racing?

Focusing just on track, there wasn't any of that. Within a small section of fans, yes it was there. But not as much as it was sometimes made out to be. A lot of reasonable posts on forums in that period, indeed it still happens now occasionally, were shouted down as racist because it didn't fit into some people's narrow view of what was an acceptable way to write about Hamilton. People who couldn't stand their hero being criticised. But unlike the same kinds of posts written about Alonso, or Raikkonen, or others, the race card was played when they ran out of reasonable counter points.

Besides, the racism you worry about is going to be there whatever team Hamilton is in. Racists aren't going to stop hating on Hamilton or any other driver just because they move teams.

Edited by hittheapex, 06 July 2015 - 13:26.

#47 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 13:26

I think I would but Alonso needs to GTFO of Mclaren-Honda and I don't know if that would happen in the near future.

I am no longer watching the races religiously like I used to. F1 is boring, it lacks good battles (Shumi/Mika/JV/Montoya/Alonso, Lewis/Alonso/Massa)

DRS sucks, the engine sound, the stupid podium interviews, (who came up with this crap?) . All of these unnecessary things need to go.

What about these new drivers coming up the ranks? All these guys are so young and lack character.. These guys are so boring that you can't tell them apart from one another. You can just pick anyone and replace him with a current gp2 driver and the grid would be identical.

The last real good championship battle was 5 years ago where Vettel, Alonso, Webber and Lewis all had a chance at the title going into the last race.

#48 PAGATRON

PAGATRON

• 958 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 13:27

But didn't we almost have this? If Alonso stuck to his guns and stayed at Ferrari, not only would we have a battle between him and Vettel but the both of them bringing it to the Merc boys as well.

A battle royal sadly missed.

#49 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 13:29

But didn't we almost have this? If Alonso stuck to his guns and stayed at Ferrari, not only would we have a battle between him and Vettel but the both of them bringing it to the Merc boys as well.

A battle royal sadly missed.

It would have been better for sure. :up:

#50 tifosi

tifosi

• 22,610 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 13:31

Nope.  Formula One is now no longer anything that I became interested in back in 1976.  The entire premise of the sport has changed.  I still watch and follow it but I have very little real interest, and certaintly no excitement.

At one time Formual One was about racing teams building the very best cars they could within a formula.  And if they didn;t build th every best car, they hauled it back to the factory to make it better.  The period between races was filled with news about what the teams were doing to try and catch whoever was leading at the time.

Now, it's just sit around and wait until 2017 and see if somebofy else can manage to build a competitve car.  In the mean time we just watch race after race produce the same ineveitable outcome.

Even with MAssa leading at Silverstone there was no exceitmen as anyone with a working brain could tell Mercedes would eat him, up chew him and then spit him out.  There simply is nothing to get excited about.